PDA

View Full Version : 'Undertaker Motorcycle trailer' ?

jalaan1
08-22-2009, 05:01 PM
first off, hope this isn't a repost.....

any of you guys ever heard, seen or first hand knowledge of this product?

looks pretty interesting, except for the fact of added wear on rear tire,
especially for limited storage of a full/conventional trailer.

http://undertakermts.com/index.php

Mr Lefty
08-22-2009, 05:04 PM
first off, hope this isn't a repost.....

any of you guys ever heard, seen or first hand knowledge of this product?

looks pretty interesting, except for the fact of added wear on rear tire,
especially for limited storage of a full/conventional trailer.

http://undertakermts.com/index.php

fuck that. rear tires go fast enough... and don't need the extra wear on my sprocket and chain either... (granted with them not producing the power it's not as drastic... but still some wear and tear)

jalaan1
08-22-2009, 05:10 PM
hear ya,
didn't even think about chain & sprockets.

Amber Lamps
08-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Constant Mesh Transmission....

This is not a new idea by any means. I've seen this type of trailering solution since the 80s and it may be older than that! The problem has been the CMT and the fact that your tranny is spinning without the oil being pumped by the engine to keep it cool and lubricated. I am not an expert by any means but this is what has been explained to me in the past. You're best bet in this situation is to break your chain and bring a $4 master link and tools with you wherever you are going if you must transport this way. FWIW I saw an ad for a 4X6 beaver tail trailer for $359 a few weeks ago...:lol:

Hydrant
08-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Must be for the Harley guys to rack up miles from the comfort of their trucks.

:didntdo:

derf
08-22-2009, 08:52 PM
FWIW I saw an ad for a 4X6 beaver tail trailer for $359 a few weeks ago...:lol:

A decent single bike trailer can be had around here for $200

Digifox
08-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Haha i look at the pics and thought Maybe $50-60

HOLY HELL! $329

Amber Lamps
08-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Haha i look at the pics and thought Maybe $50-60

HOLY HELL! $329

Heck, I'm gonna check Harbor Freight and EBay... it wouldn't surprise me if someone isn't making these for under $100!:lol: $10-20 worth of steel, a couple straps, some paint....:lol:

tommymac
08-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Heck, I'm gonna check Harbor Freight and EBay... it wouldn't surprise me if someone isn't making these for under $100!:lol: $10-20 worth of steel, a couple straps, some paint....:lol:

But they dont have the super cool name :lol:

Tom

karl_1052
08-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the trailer. The trailer is to reduce wear and tear on tires, chain, sprocket, bearings, shock etc, so you can ride at the track.

There is no other reason a bike should be on a trailer, ever.

tommymac
08-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the trailer. The trailer is to reduce wear and tear on tires, chain, sprocket, bearings, shock etc, so you can ride at the track.

There is no other reason a bike should be on a trailer, ever.

What about poser harley guys trailering to daytona or sturgis :lol:

Tom

karl_1052
08-23-2009, 10:15 AM
What about poser harley guys trailering to daytona or sturgis :lol:

Tom

Don't forget the poser R6 guys from halifax. redflip

Tmall
08-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Oh snap, James!

askmrjesus
09-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Must be for the Harley guys to rack up miles from the comfort of their trucks.

:didntdo:

Even Harley guys know the speedo is attached to the FRONT wheel. :lol:

[bull durham] The rose goes in the front, big guy. [/bull durham]

JC

Tmall
09-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Even Harley guys know the speedo is attached to the FRONT wheel. :lol:

[bull durham] The rose goes in the front, big guy. [/bull durham]

JC

Then why does your speedo read wrong when you change your rear sprocket?

askmrjesus
09-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Then why does your speedo read wrong when you change your rear sprocket?

1. It was wrong to begin with.

2. You have your wheels on back to front.

3. You're on glue.

The front tire rotates at the same rate of turns per MPH, regardless of what sprocket you're running, unless your running such a big rear sprocket, that your front tire never touches the pavement. :lol:

JC

Tmall
09-18-2009, 02:37 PM
1. It was wrong to begin with.

2. You have your wheels on back to front.

3. You're on glue.

The front tire rotates at the same rate of turns per MPH, regardless of what sprocket you're running, unless your running such a big rear sprocket, that your front tire never touches the pavement. :lol:

JC

I understand. But, what I'm telling you is.. Most newer bikes do not have a pick up running to the front tire. Pretty sure it's off of the tach or gearbox.

pauldun170
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I would rather toss my bike into the back of gutted out 1989 Ford Festiva paint painted fluorescent pink with bull horns mad out of stale marshmallows affixed to the front hood while wearing a diaper.

Mainly because it was so much fun the first time around

askmrjesus
09-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I understand. But, what I'm telling you is.. Most newer bikes do not have a pick up running to the front tire. Pretty sure it's off of the tach or gearbox.

I guess that depends on what you consider "newer".

Still plenty of bikes out there running analog gauges, but, you're right, electronic gauges run off of a gearbox box pickup, and are calibrated for the stock sprocket.

JC

Tmall
09-18-2009, 03:05 PM
I guess that depends on what you consider "newer".

Still plenty of bikes out there running analog gauges, but, you're right, electronic gauges run off of a gearbox box pickup, and are calibrated for the stock sprocket.

Either way, a guy towing a Harley is not likely to rack up any additional miles, since the layshaft doesn't spin in neutral. :lol:

JC

I have "analogue" gauges. As in, they have needles instead of digital numbers. And it's run off of the tach.

I'm really curious now as to which are more common.

marko138
09-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I have "analogue" gauges. As in, they have needles instead of digital numbers. And it's run off of the tach.

I know my 92 Zuk had a front wheel cable jobbie for the Speedo and I know my 2005 Buell does not.

askmrjesus
09-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Sorry, I meant analogue as in mechanical, instead of electronic. My 2001 Duc still had a front wheel drive speedo, as do a lot of cruisers and other "non-sport" bikes.

In terms of what's more commonly used today, my guess would be electronic. In terms of how many bikes on the street still have the front wheel drive units, I'm sure the number would have to outweigh the newer stuff by far.

JC

Tmall
09-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Sorry, I meant analogue as in mechanical, instead of electronic. My 2001 Duc still had a front wheel drive speedo, as do a lot of cruisers and other "non-sport" bikes.

In terms of what's more commonly used today, my guess would be electronic. In terms of how many bikes on the street still have the front wheel drive units, I'm sure the number would have to outweigh the newer stuff by far.

JC

That we can definitely agree on. I wonder if it's because they already have ecu to control fuel and the like? It'd likely be a simple step to throw a speed algorithm in the programming, and voila, the computer tells your speed.

Amber Lamps
09-18-2009, 07:02 PM
That we can definitely agree on. I wonder if it's because they already have ecu to control fuel and the like? It'd likely be a simple step to throw a speed algorithm in the programming, and voila, the computer tells your speed.

Kinda like your car. It used to piss me off that they didn't have gear indicators on bike well after they were taking the speed from the drive. If the computer knows what gear you are in, why not tell you?:lol: Shit my '81 Seca 750 had a gear indicator, a gas gauge and self canceling signals (I think), I know I had 80s bikes with those features anyway!:lol:(GS450, GS750,Maxim, Maxim X, Seca 750, V-Max) When I traded in my '88 V-Max for my '95 FZR1000, I was like, "Hey where are all the goodies?!?":lol:

askmrjesus
09-18-2009, 07:23 PM

Yeah, that's no doubt part of it. Other reasons would be "bells and whistles", less maintenance, and to a certain degree, at least on sport-bikes, some weight savings.

Personally, I dislike digital dash components. They're too difficult to read in static light conditions, and they have a lot a crap like gear position indicators, I just don't need or want. Then again, I never look at my speedo unless I see a cop. :lol:

JC

Homeslice
09-18-2009, 07:24 PM
My SV650 had one of those front-wheel speed sensors, and it was a piece of shit. It was a ghey little plastic bearing that needed to be replaced twice.

RedRider2k2
09-21-2009, 03:22 PM
If the computer knows what gear you are in, why not tell you?:lol:

I dont even think the computer knows. Your speed is measured by the rotation of the transmission output shaft. The same way an ABS computer reads A/C sine waves from wheel speed sensors.