PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading brakes...

TYEster
08-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Thinking about lines, pads and a good fluid....

Hard enough to justify shop expensive or easy enough DIY a 5yo could do it?

Suggestions for brands also welcome.(Galfer, EBC, Carbon Lorraine, etc)

azoomm
08-25-2009, 06:20 PM
I have Galfer on the Monster - and use EBC pads.

Though, after working with a few distributors there aren't very many differences between the big lines.

I suggest giving Moto Mummy a call - tell them you're with me. They're local and I KNOW you can do this yourself. www.motomummy.com

marko138
08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Easy. Do it yo'self.

BobTheBiker
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
ABSOLUTELY easy, do it yourself. I'd get some EBC sintered pads, Galfer lines, and enjoy.

tached1000rr
08-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Just me, but I'd only the the steel line up front given my riding style, no need for a steel line out back for me.

TYEster
08-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Just me, but I'd only the the steel line up front given my riding style, no need for a steel line out back for me.

Ya I'm only doing the front, I RARELY use the rear.

Starting from an uphill stop or if I'm about to see my life flash before my eyes coming into a turn too hot, it gets used.

Trip
08-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Really easy, do it yourself.

we got a good thread on here about bleeding the lines, that's the hardest part and you want to get your lines bleed great for them to work awesome.

OneSickPsycho
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
It's on my list of shit to do to my bike... though I accidentally bought the rear pads on closeout (non-returnable) when I bought my lines... Need pads...

MikeSP1
08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
As soon as my vacuum bleeder gets in I'll do a full post with pics on how to install and bleed the entire front brake system, but brakes are really easy.

azoomm
08-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Tye, you know you're always welcome to come bring it by and I'll show you how to do this - actually, I'll just supervise and tell you how. :lol: It's my favorite wrenching.

I have a vacuum bleeder. You just need the parts/lines/pads/fluid AND find a time in my schedule. I'm game. We could make a garage party of it.

Dnyce
08-26-2009, 01:21 AM
i went galfer all the way thru, superbike lines, pads, fluid. did two bikes in like 2hrs, thats including garage jackassery time lol

really easy.

TYEster
08-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Tye, you know you're always welcome to come bring it by and I'll show you how to do this - actually, I'll just supervise and tell you how. :lol: It's my favorite wrenching.

I have a vacuum bleeder. You just need the parts/lines/pads/fluid AND find a time in my schedule. I'm game. We could make a garage party of it.

Haha nice!

That sounds like a good idea, still got a few weeks till the "BIG" trackday, so I was going to get this done before then. Want the bike performing tiptop. :D

CrazyKell
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I just got a set of kevlar lines and am finding the time to put them on.

It's going to be a supervised DIY project for me. Believe me when I say if I can even think about doing it...you can do it!

Antwanny
08-26-2009, 04:03 PM

vacuum bleeders are awesome opposed to wrench and pump. Pads are easy 3 or 4 bolts max lines are easy just gotta know the order or the banjos and washers. Nothing to it.

marko138
08-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I've always bled the old fashioned way.

Amber Lamps
08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
I've always bled the old fashioned way.

Me too!

marko138
08-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Right on brutha. Maybe I'm just not privy to this magic.

Amber Lamps
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Right on brutha. Maybe I'm just not privy to this magic.

Ah I've used a Mighty-vac and it's the shit for sure but I don't mess with the brakes enough to buy one when it takes me a few minutes to bleed and then I tie my lever down over night and they come out perfect!

azoomm
08-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Ah I've used a Mighty-vac and it's the shit for sure but I don't mess with the brakes enough to buy one when it takes me a few minutes to bleed and then I tie my lever down over night and they come out perfect!

When you replace an entire system, it's the shit. And, it cost $20 - I already have the compressor. It is my contention that brakes are more important than anything else on your bike - I mean, even if you blow a tire you still have to stop. And, bleeding lines would take FOREVER when putting in a new system or trying to work out a bubble. With this, it's moments. It is absolutely brilliant.

RACER X
09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
i'd like to add in a radial master cyl in the future.

TYEster
10-04-2009, 08:53 PM
**Brake Update**

Just installed pads(easy), lines(easy) and began the fluid process...

Here's the problem, I went thru the standard manual of bleeding the brakes, or I assume since I've never done it. Well, I got far enough along to get the clear fluid coming out of the bleed valves. However, I have very little pressure on the lever, as I did beforehand, of drawing it almost completely back to the grip... Wtf? I went thru $7.50 worth of RBF600 sitting in my drip pan, and I just don't know how much more or else I can bleed them? All the washer/fittings are secure and are not leaking. I'm 99.9999999999999% certain the washers are in the correct order as I took them off.

What else? I went for a ride and it bites enough to get from A to B but I was expecting a substantial change. I mean, I'd hate to think I went thru all this just to find out I needed a pad change, and everything else still sucks.

azoomm
10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Are you SURE you have the system void of air... sounds like there is still air lurking about. :wink: I wish you would have told me yesterday - I have a speed bleeder AND a vacuum. Need help tomorrow?

skiergirl
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
He doesn't check the site during the day at work but I just text'd him. The car battery died this morning too so this hasn't been a good couple days...:(

TYEster
10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Are you SURE you have the system void of air... sounds like there is still air lurking about. :wink: I wish you would have told me yesterday - I have a speed bleeder AND a vacuum. Need help tomorrow?

yes please! sent ya a text.

fasternyou929
10-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Late to the party but just thought I'd add this for anybody running EBC HH compound pads:

Do yourself a favor and try Vesrah RJL's next time. Much less brake fade (really only a problem at the track with the EBC's), better initial bite (like cat claws on carpet), and they don't sound like locusts decending on you when you use them.