PDA

View Full Version : Tron butt Rally

derf
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Anyone have the scoop on the IBR? I know it ends in the next day or so, just wondering if anyone heard anything?

Trip
09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
at first when I saw this thread, I thought you were going to post this guy.

http://moureforyou.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/tron-costume.jpg

NONE_too_SOFT
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
holy shit how did that guy get the triforce from gannon?

derf
09-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Naw I was planning on following one guy who had a suzuki rotary, but he bowed out on the 1st day when he broke an engine casing.

Cass
09-01-2009, 11:18 PM
It ends Friday morning, you can find more information at www.ironbuttrally.com if you're interested.

lauralynne
09-02-2009, 02:16 AM
My friend Jeff is in first place!! Ends in Spokane - lots of info and reports here:
http://www.sierraresearch.com/mc/2009IBRDay1.pdf

(manually change url in a logical fashion to read subsequent reports)

t-homo
09-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Man, doing an IBR is one of my motorcycling goals.

karl_1052
09-02-2009, 06:03 AM
Trace rode up to Spokane yesterday to watch the finish.

Gas Man
09-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I do plan on doing a 4 corner USA trip. But not in 11 days! FUCK DAT

CasterTroy
09-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Here is day 9's report

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2009/2009IBRday9.pdf

There were 2 RE-5 rotary's in this one...the first one crapped day one...the second was Slonishku and he made it till last thursday and constant rain killed his CDI in Dubuque, IA

He bought a '85 Goldwing and pressed on to cali where the stator dropped out...now he's on a loaned 1995 BMW R1100GS to stay in the "hopeless class"

derf
09-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Man, doing an IBR is one of my motorcycling goals.

mine too, but you have to run and get experience in the smaller ones to get experience and knowledge to be considered a finisher in the IBR. I tried to do the mason dixon 20-20 this year but I got a note back from them saying they were full by the time I sent my registration form in.

tommymac
09-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I heard its prety hard to get an application for the main rally. I would assume you a tleast need an IBA patch to even be considered.

Tom

CasterTroy
09-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I heard its prety hard to get an application for the main rally. I would assume you a tleast need an IBA patch to even be considered.

Tom

11,000 miles in 11 days? Yeah..you need to qualify.....and your bike has to look like this basically

tommymac
09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Like the fuel cells and expanded tanks there :rockwoot:

Tom

Cass
09-02-2009, 10:08 PM
My friend Jeff is in first place!! Ends in Spokane - lots of info and reports here:
http://www.sierraresearch.com/mc/2009IBRDay1.pdf

(manually change url in a logical fashion to read subsequent reports)

Dude I didn't know that you know Jeff Earls!! That's awesome!!

And... I don't know who's on the guy on the red bike, but I met the guys on the connie and ST pictured. They're all super nice people..... even if they are a little "off" :lol:

derf
09-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Tom

Yeh you need to prove yourself in the shorter rallies held around the country first, then they will let you put your name in the hat to be possibly drawn to be a participant in the IBR.

tommymac
09-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeh you need to prove yourself in the shorter rallies held around the country first, then they will let you put your name in the hat to be possibly drawn to be a participant in the IBR.

I saw a rally called the 1081 out in utah. there were some sick pics guys took out there. I would love to get in on that. take a few days to get there a day to rest then do the rally, rest a day and head home ;)

Tom

Gas Man
09-03-2009, 01:25 AM
FUCK that. I don't need to do some dumb ass shit like that to make myself "look cool" in the face of some dumb fucks. NO FUCKIN WAY. Its dangerous and un needed.

Cass
09-03-2009, 02:34 AM
FUCK that. I don't need to do some dumb ass shit like that to make myself "look cool" in the face of some dumb fucks. NO FUCKIN WAY. Its dangerous and un needed.

I'm curious - how is it dangerous?

Not trying to pick a fight or start an argument, just wanting to hear the reasoning.

tommymac
09-03-2009, 02:40 AM

Not trying to pick a fight or start an argument, just wanting to hear the reasoning.

its a bit of an endurance contest so fatigue becomes a factor after so many hrs in the saddle. I have done a few near iron butt rides but never went foir the actual certification. I woul dlike ot get one "just because" I do like touring and can push prety far on a long ride but its nothing compared to what some of these guys do.

Tom

t-homo
09-03-2009, 03:36 AM
I've done an actual Iron Butt that I could send in, but never did. I wasn't worried about it since I am sure I will do more in the future.

CasterTroy
09-03-2009, 07:55 AM
I've done an actual Iron Butt that I could send in, but never did. I wasn't worried about it since I am sure I will do more in the future.

Me too, But my times vs mileage were what would be considered "unsafe" (ave speed of 91mph is frowned upon)

Particle Man
09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
shit, my TIRES wouldn't last that long :lol:

Dave
09-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Naw I was planning on following one guy who had a suzuki rotary, but he bowed out on the 1st day when he broke an engine casing.

damn you for reminding me about the re-5! now theres three old skool zuks im lusting over :dribble:

lauralynne
09-04-2009, 11:30 PM
woohoo!! My friend came in 2nd by a lousy 3700 points.

Final report here:
http://www.sierraresearch.com/mc/2009IBR_Finish.pdf

t-homo
09-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Me too, But my times vs mileage were what would be considered "unsafe" (ave speed of 91mph is frowned upon)

I want to say ours was about 60 mph after we finished. Funny though, every gas stop (about 100 miles, one guy had a small gas tank) we would take time to bullshit and smoke a cigarette or two and we stopped for 2 hours at the mid point.

derf
09-05-2009, 03:33 PM
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150/JimBethel_photos/thorne10.jpg

We are sad to report that the President of the Iron Butt Association of Australia and Australia's Far Riders, David Jones, known the world over by his nickname, Davo, passed away late last night on Friday, September 4, 2009, as a result of hitting a deer on US-95 shortly after crossing into the U.S. from Canada during the Iron Butt Rally. This was posted by a representative of the family on the FarRiders forum earlier today: It is with the heaviest heart and with many tears in my eyes as I type this from Davo's computer, but we just received the phone call that no one wants to receive. The nurse just called to inform us that Davo has just passed away. As I sit here at his desk, I look around and I see items and photo's that Davo treasured. There are photo's of him and Wil together, photo's of the kids, and his "GO FAR" number plate surrounded by his Iron Butt Association plate cover and his numerous IBA certificates that demonstrate his love and passion for distance riding. Throughout today, I have fielded many, many phone calls from people from both here in Australia and overseas all relating small stories of how Davo enthused, motivated and/or encouraged them beyond what they thought they were capable of. And this typifies the type of guy he was. He was always so energetic and full of life. It is a crying shame to see it cut short - although if Davo had a choice, we all know he wouldn't have it any other way. He was living life to full and doing what he enjoyed. While we all are going to deal with this in different ways, Davo would always want us to adopt his attitude and look on the bright side. He would want us to remember the fun times and fond memories that each of us have with him. On behalf of everyone sitting here in the room with me as I type this, a massive thank you for the support that you guys have out poured so far. It is very much appreciated. I will come back on here when we have more news about the arrangements that I am sure a lot of people will want info on. At this time, FarRiders is the best source of information: http://farriders.com/forum/index.php.topic=1523.msg26947#msg26947 Our prayers and thoughts are with Davo and his family. Michael Kneebone

Dave
09-05-2009, 06:16 PM
damn that sucks. shoulda been on a gixxer

Mr Lefty
09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Damn that Sucks... dud probably rode more in a month than 90% of the US riders do in a year.

as for the iron butt... closest I got was last year from Northern AR to FL... 904 miles in about 14hrs... if I'd realized that I was that close... I'd have ridden the extra 86 miles around the next morning. but 1. didn't have a witness of where i left... and tossed all my gas receipts. and 2. I was fuck'n exhausted and Rae distracted me in the AM with wearing head to toe under armor... :lol:

derf
09-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Rae distracted me in the AM with wearing head to toe under armor... :lol:

This line distracted me from the rest of the post, please re-post what you wrote without the last line.

Mr Lefty
09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
now you know why I couldn't ride any further :lol:

derf
09-07-2009, 01:05 PM
now you know why I couldn't ride any further :lol:

Something poking your gas tank? :boobs:

Mr Lefty
09-07-2009, 01:18 PM
lol have to get my riding pants on first :rofl:

Dave
09-07-2009, 01:28 PM
hrm not on the bike but i did jersey to texas in two days once in my shelby daytona with solid motor mounts and hard race suspension. dont think ive ever had a migrane that bad since

derf
09-07-2009, 01:42 PM

:lol

Dave
09-07-2009, 03:06 PM

headstands help get things flowing back in the right direction ;)

Gas Man
09-07-2009, 03:29 PM

As said below.

its a bit of an endurance contest so fatigue becomes a factor after so many hrs in the saddle. I have done a few near iron butt rides but never went foir the actual certification. I woul dlike ot get one "just because" I do like touring and can push prety far on a long ride but its nothing compared to what some of these guys do.

Tom

Driving while being very tired is similar to driving drunk. Add in riding and its clearly danerous.

derf
09-07-2009, 03:40 PM
I can agree with gas that it is dangerous, motorcyling is dangerous to begin with and LD riding brings it to a whole new level.

Probably the best way though is to sleep. A 30 minute nap can keep the body going for hours, a full nights sleep can give you longer. Earlier this year I did a 20 hour drive (in a car) to south FL. I found out my grandfather passed on a monday morning, and by 4 that afternoon the decision was made to leave at 6 that night to be there the next afternoon. Between my brother and I we made the drive down, and each of us pretty much only got 2 hours of sleep that night, but were both able to function because we did take a break when we got tired then got back up after a short break.

That being said, there are ways to reduce the danger of fatigue on the body and mind.

taken from the Iron Butt website

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

1. Know your limits and plan your trip around them.
If the longest ride you have ever taken is 300 miles in a day, don't plan a trip with a string of endless five- hundred mile days. Iron Butt Association surveys also warn of an important trend in long distance trip planning (see Chart A). Discounting weather or other problems; after an initial mileage peak on days one and two, daily average mileage will steadily drop during trip days three to seven. On day seven of a trip, the typical long distance rider will comfortably ride about 65% of the average daily mileage that they would book on a two day trip. If the pros have this type of mileage attrition rate, would you plan on any less?
Also include large easy-to-cut loops into your trip plan. If you do get behind schedule, this is the easiest way to skip part of your trip without ruining the rest of it.

Whether you are capable of riding 300 miles per day, or 1,000, the ability to make miles tends to decrease as the length of the trip increases. The most severe loss is in days 3 through 7, where Iron Butt types then level out to about 65% of their peak capacity.

2. Forget about high speeds.
Forget what you've been told; high speeds and long-distance riding have little in common. A steady rider can book more miles, enjoy more mountain vistas and ride more twisty miles than a canyon carver bent on making the best times across a mountain pass. Besides the obvious effects on fuel mileage, which means more time wasted looking for gas, and the fatigue caused by fighting the effects of pushing a motorcycle through the wind, riding much beyond the flow of traffic will land you a hefty speeding ticket. While you are on the side of the road having a spirited discussion with a Police officer about your 10/10ths riding style, the turtle-like rider on the Honda 250 will wave as he sets himself up for the next set of corners.

3. Leave your drugs and coffee supply at home.
It's this simple, drugs and other stimulants do not work! If you need No-Doze or other drugs to stay alert (the Iron Butt Association includes coffee and colas on this hot list), it's time to stop for the day and get some serious rest.

9. Learn how to avoid boredom.
Long rides usually mean riding across areas you might not consider prime riding spots. To some riders U.S. 50 across Nevada is a beautiful ride. To a canyon carver it can be a long, hot boring, dull highway to hell. For times like this, carrying a tape player with your favorite music can prove invaluable. Some of the other tricks of the trade are to stock up your tank bag with a supply of tart candies that you can munch on while riding. A sour lemon drop will shock your senses and keep you going another twenty miles!

11. Learn to Stop to go Faster.
On the surface this tip may not make sense, but the successful long distance rider uses this strategy to their advantage. Since each rider is different, no one can predict a comfortable speed average for every rider. What is important is to know what speed your internal riding clock runs by and when your speed falls below that average, take time out and get some serious rest. Wasting time on coffee stops or milling about gas stations is time that could be better spent in a comfortable room sleeping or even better, taking a walk to stretch tired and sore muscles and get some oxygen pumping back into your brain.

12. Know when to stop!
As soon as you are tempted to close an eye, even "for just a second", find the nearest safe place to pull over and take nap!
Other symptoms to watch for:

Inability to maintain a desired speed. If you find yourself slowing down and constantly having to speed back up, you are ready to fall asleep!

Forgetting to turn high beams down for oncoming traffic.

Indecision. Can't decide to stop for gas or continue? Can't decide what turn to take? These are all a result of fatigue.

13. Maintain a good mental attitude.
If you really hate rain, you just may be better off taking a time-out and hold-up in a motel for a day. The same goes for excessive heat (if possible, try riding at night) or a host of other conditions that can put you in such a bad mental state that riding is no longer fun (if you are concentrating on being miserable, you are not concentrating on the road). Yes, answering to your boss why you are a day or two late can cause some stress, but at least you might make it safely home!

14. Eat healthful foods.
Fast foods and a big road trip are a bad combination, but realizing that this is the real world, try these time-proven combinations:
In the mornings stick to oatmeal, cereals or one egg with toast (no butter please!). Lunch should be skipped in favor of a light, healthful snack. Dinner should include a salad with a light pasta dish (quickly and readily available at the long distance riders all-time place to hate; Dennys and most Wendys).

If all else fails, our motto is, "If you can't eat right at least try and eat light!" Consider having a freshly made Subway sandwich instead of that grease-dripping Quarter-Pounder!

15. Eat at the right times of the day.
On weekdays, eating breakfast after 9 a.m. is usually the best time to beat the working stiffs not lucky enough to be out on a ride. The opposite is true on weekends, when people tend to sleep in and crowd restaurants later in the morning. Dinner is best eaten early (remember, we skipped lunch) to beat the dinner crowd. Additionally, eating after dark with a long ride ahead is a bad idea - it will put you to sleep.
Whenever we speak of eating out, the subject of time management always comes up. Specifically, how can the long distance rider afford to waste time sitting around while a restaurant cooks their meal? Here is a time proven method that works: After you enter the restaurant and get a seat (if the restaurant is crowded, try the counter for faster service) explain to your waitress that you are in a hurry. In extreme cases, we recommend giving her a generous tip up front and quickly give her your order, ask her to leave the check with the meal and explain that you will be back shortly. This is now your free time to take care of important business.

Although riders differ in technique, most will go to the bathroom and wash up (even if you are not "dirty", washing your face with warm water is a refreshing experience) and reapply sun screen or skin lotion. If you have phone calls to make, quickly make them now. In most cases, your meal will be sitting for you ready to eat. With this technique, meal stops can be cut to a reasonable twenty to thirty minute window - that may sound fast for a full meal, but when handled properly with good time management, you will have a relaxing hot, meal while your fellow riders are choking down a cold sandwich standing around a gas station.

16. Separate gas stops from food stops.
After getting gasoline (a mini rest-stop in itself), it takes just as long to suit-up to ride across the street to eat as it does to ride twenty miles down the road and then eat. The result is two mini rest-stops for the price of one.

23. Carry aspirin for aches and pains.
Note: While aspirin enjoys an almost cult-like following in the riding community (riders claim it alleviates a variety of pains and helps prevent muscle spasms), it is important to remember to consult your physician for side-effects related to its use.
For example, aspirin can lower your body's core temperature. So those riders choosing to use it for aches along the way should be aware they may be cooling themselves down as well. Additionally, aspirin acts as an anti-coagulant (something to worry about should you crash and suffer wounds that cause severe bleeding). Some brands of aspirin contain caffeine (it is sometimes added to help the aspirin take effect more quickly). A quick review of active ingredients on the packaging will let you know if caffeine is part of the formula.

24. Pack a variety of vitamins.
We have to defer this exact advice to a doctor, but in general a minimum recommendation is to take a one- a-day vitamin. Seek the advice of your doctor as to what vitamins are best for the type of conditions you are riding through (hot summer-time conditions has different requirements than winter riding).
For long distance riding, look for vitamins that will prevent muscle cramps.

29. Eliminate all distractions/irritants.
Eliminate all distractions and potential irritants before the ride, no matter how minor they may seem. The cost in stamina and energy used in fighting off the effects of irritants while tired can be enormous. Even minor aggravations are magnified during a long-distance ride, robbing you of precious energy in the form of stress.
Key to your ability to fight off irritants is a well prepared bike that is set up properly with resulting excellent ergos for the rider. Long term rider comfort while underway is the true secret in how seasoned veterans can safely garner big mileage.

lauralynne
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
there are bonuses for sleeping in the IBR. They try and make it as safe as possible. Like everything else in life, it's a calculated risk.