PDA

View Full Version : First long ride.

psychochild28
09-02-2009, 03:11 AM
So I'm looking to take my first road trip when I get off tour and finish moving.
What do I need to know? Or what should I bring with me as essentials? I'm looking to go around 500-600 miles in one day I think. And no I'm not driving up to Ohio. Not sure where I want to head yet.

Looking for Advice:?::rockwoot:

And maybe a destination.

karl_1052
09-02-2009, 06:08 AM
Stay off the slab, it is boring and will put you to sleep.
I usually don't pack anything special, but a tire patch kit(with compressor) couldn't hurt. Bicycle shorts are always recommended, and i used to take a tylenol every 4 hours, just to prevent ass pain on the old GSXR

As for a destination, go to Key West. It is probably about 800 miles, but it would be cool to get a pic there.

Trip
09-02-2009, 09:01 AM
The less you bring the better.

Essential = camera to show us your trip.

I would shoot for the east coast. Charleston/Savannah/Hilton Head would all be cool.

Gas Man
09-02-2009, 03:51 PM
same as you would pack for any trip.

The problem is what to pack, its what to buy to help pack and comfort features to make the bike easier to ride for long distances.

Mr Lefty
09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
are you looking to do a total of 500-600 miles? or 500-600 miles one way?

I'd stay off the super slab... it will not only put you to sleep... but I get more sore on the super slab than I do for the same miles off it... think it has to do with me moving more when on back roads.

pack as little as possible... if this is 500-600 miles total... just $, Camera, tire plug kit with compresser, and cell phone.
if it's the 500-600 mile in one day (to the destination) and then 500-600 back... take one change of clothes... depending on what your riding in maybe just under clothes... and your shower stuff (go to walmart get the travel size) and the previous stuff mentioned.

if I were you... I'd pick a direction... a very ROUGH route... and GO. if ya have GPS it's the best as you can see what roads go through or not... but turn south and just ride... take random lefts and random rights... when the time feels right ya know?

then use the GPS to find your way home. that's what I'd do... and what i plan on doing when I get the GS (MS roads kill my RR's tires)

psychochild28
09-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Stay off the slab, it is boring and will put you to sleep.
I usually don't pack anything special, but a tire patch kit(with compressor) couldn't hurt. Bicycle shorts are always recommended, and i used to take a tylenol every 4 hours, just to prevent ass pain on the old GSXR

As for a destination, go to Key West. It is probably about 800 miles, but it would be cool to get a pic there.

Yea i thought about going back to the keys. But I really wanna take my dive gear when i go back.

But I was kinda thinking FL or maybe heading North ish.

Yea looking for 500-600 in one day staying maybe a day or so depending on where I go.

Particle Man
09-03-2009, 09:05 PM
stay hydrated. You'd be surprised how much you can fuck up when you're lacking fluids.

the chi
09-06-2009, 09:25 PM
If this is only a one day trip, then other than a patch kit, I'd make sure to have a small first aid (you never know what could happen), and your tool kit under the seat (with zip ties and clamps). I tend to over pack, but I havent been unprepared yet!

psychochild28
09-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm seriously considering getting a map of some state and throwing a dart at it. Anyone know of good roads and places to visit semi close to TN. (other than the Dragon)

RACER X
09-08-2009, 04:21 PM
advil and biking shorts

Captain Morgan
09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Check out www.ironbutt.com for some ideas. I realize you're doing a shorter trip, but this can give you some ideas for packing, what to take, etc.

Mr Lefty
09-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Just pick a direction and go. Fuck everything else... And stay off the slab.

psychochild28
09-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Ok destination Chicago.....yea It's nothing fancy but I gotta few friends up there. So I'd have a place to stay for a while.

So anyone in IN, IL or MO that can help me with a few good roads in the area I'd be grateful. Not sure which route I'm going to take yet haven't gotten out a map. :rockwoot:

Kerry_129
09-18-2009, 02:07 AM
From where in TN? Once you get a bit north of TN the roads will be relatively flat & boring for the most part. In my mind, good motorcycle roads=twisty/scenic/mountainous.

I think the 'best' motorcycle road trip (twisty/scenic) from the TN area would be a good loop thru east-TN/north-GA/west-NC/southwest-VA. :rockwoot:

psychochild28
09-18-2009, 02:11 AM
Yea I'm just south of nashville. Love the roads around my place and finding new ones is always a good time.

But yea east TN and down into GA are great. Went for a ride with a couple buddies from tour last week and found some amazing roads heading to GA.

Kerry_129
09-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Cool - wherever you head for this trip, be safe & have fun!

Also, since you're near Nashville (as myself & my g/f, HokieDNA01): http://www.meetup.com/Nashville-Sportbike-Group/
A very frequent meeting point for regular rides is Puckett's, in Leiper's Fork. Come on out! :D

psychochild28
09-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I love Puckett's!!!! hit me up sometime I'm always down for that.