PDA

View Full Version : Alpinestars Bionic kneeguards

Amber Lamps
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I currently own Icon Field Armor leg guards and I've been VERY satisfied with them. After a number of years and 3 crashes they haven't let me down. Unfortunatey,the elastic is getting a bit weak and there's a crack in the left knee cup from my high-side and it's time to replace. Initially,I was just going to order more Icons until I noticed that our friends at A* now offer knee guards of their own and for only a few dollars more. What interests me most about them is that they are double articulated and secure higher up the leg. If anyone has any experience with this knee guard please let me know and I'll post an impression when I get them Tues/Weds.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Well unlike some people,I'm not married to any one brand of gear and like to sample what every company has to offer. I currently own Icon Field Armor leg guards and I've been VERY satisfied with them. After a number of years and 3 crashes they haven't let me down. Unfortunatey,the elastic is getting a bit weak and there's a crack in the left knee cup from my high-side and it's time to replace. Initially,I was just going to order more Icons until I noticed that our friends at A* now offer knee guards of their own and for only a few dollars more. What interests me most about them is that they are double articulated and secure higher up the leg. If anyone has any experience with this knee guard please let me know and I'll post an impression when I get them Tues/Weds.

You are one sour motherfucker.

How bout some pics for comparison? i've never tried kneeguards on.

Amber Lamps
04-13-2008, 06:59 PM
I currently own Icon Field Armor leg guards and I've been VERY satisfied with them. After a number of years and 3 crashes they haven't let me down. Unfortunatey,the elastic is getting a bit weak and there's a crack in the left knee cup from my high-side and it's time to replace. Initially,I was just going to order more Icons until I noticed that our friends at A* now offer knee guards of their own and for only a few dollars more. What interests me most about them is that they are double articulated and secure higher up the leg. If anyone has any experience with this knee guard please let me know and I'll post an impression when I get them Tues/Weds.

Hey quit changing my posts BITCH!!! Ha just kidding! Hopefully that sweetens it up for you! Yea my attachment skills aren't very good but you can see both kneeguards online in the Parts Unlimited street catologue.

All bullshitting aside,I won't ride without them anymore! The Icon guards are super comfortable and I literally forget I have them on. Infact,I am still wearing them right now,no bullshit! Seriously bro,something IS better than nothing and if you don't want to wear leather pants all the time,this is the next best thing. Shit,if you wear these with reinforced riding jeans and the armored shorts,I think that you'd be pretty well protected.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-13-2008, 07:08 PM
eh c'mon link me im interested. may want to pick some up for the commute when i'm sportin jeans.

Amber Lamps
04-13-2008, 07:19 PM
eh c'mon link me im interested. may want to pick some up for the commute when i'm sportin jeans.

Ok I tried you lazy bastard,if it's not right I don't want to hear about it!!!

NONE_too_SOFT
04-13-2008, 07:21 PM
the a* looks more durable but the icon shit looks like it'll feel better... so yea, i just summed up your orriginal post.

Amber Lamps
04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
the a* looks more durable but the icon shit looks like it'll feel better... so yea, i just summed up your orriginal post.

summing up IS NOT one of my strong points for sure!!!

Mr Lefty
04-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I have the Reflex knee/shin guards... they're nice and give better over all protection than the crap foam that came in my pants...

BUT... I wonder if they'd slide to the side in an accident. it doesn't take too much to slide them to the side as they only have two 1" elastic straps... both below the knee... so if you were to go down and end up sliding on your knees I have no doubt they'd dislodge... but for impact they'll be great.

again those are the reflex ones... not the ones your looking at. I liked Icon's design on how it's like a sock around the calf..

PhiSig1071
04-13-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't know about the kneeguards but I wear an A-Stars Bionic Vest under my leathers and I'm very happy with it. A-Stars makes some good stuff, for now.

jalaan1
04-13-2008, 09:36 PM
thanks Ebbs.
i was actually going to buy the A* Reflex ones, but after yur post i'm going
for the Icon leg armor.
i thought the same thing about the upper portion's design on the Reflex guards.

OneSickPsycho
04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
I couldn't fit into the Icons...

Mr Lefty
04-13-2008, 10:37 PM
thanks Ebbs.
i was actually going to buy the A* Reflex ones, but after yur post i'm going
for the Icon leg armor.
i thought the same thing about the upper portion's design on the Reflex guards.

not a prob... like I said... they're better than nothing... but I think Icon's would stay inplace better.

I've not seen the bionics other than pics and they don't really show the back so :idk:

Amber Lamps
04-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I couldn't fit into the Icons...

WOW!!! Mr Huge Calves!!!

NONE_too_SOFT
04-13-2008, 10:52 PM
WOW!!! Mr Huge Calves!!!

ya for real stop eatin so many trans fats.

OneSickPsycho
04-13-2008, 10:58 PM
WOW!!! Mr Huge Calves!!!

ya for real stop eatin so many trans fats.

My legs are the least fat part of my body... In fact... they aren't very fat at all... just big... Whenever I was skinny (both days) my legs were always disproportionately big...

Rider
04-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Asterisk Cell Knee Brace

http://www.motoworldracing.com/media/asterisk/asterisk-07-cell-knee.jpg

http://www.motoworldracing.com/asterisk-07-cell-knee-brace.html

OneSickPsycho
04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
$600!!!!

Rider
04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Cheaper and less painful than knee surgery. :idk:

OneSickPsycho
04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Cheaper and less painful than knee surgery. :idk:

I wonder if I could get my insurance to cover that shit?

LaFemmes
04-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I wonder if I could get my insurance to cover that shit?

Should be a deduction?? lol:idk:

Amber Lamps
04-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Asterisk Cell Knee Brace

http://www.motoworldracing.com/media/asterisk/asterisk-07-cell-knee.jpg

http://www.motoworldracing.com/asterisk-07-cell-knee-brace.html

Yea I thought about Asterisk,they make a "cheaper" model btw but I'm not sure they're designed for impact/abrasion. I think they are designed to prevent hyperextension mostly....only an opinion now.

Rider
04-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Yea I thought about Asterisk,they make a "cheaper" model btw but I'm not sure they're designed for impact/abrasion. I think they are designed to prevent hyperextension mostly....only an opinion now.

And lateral movement of the knee. Keeps is nice and straight.

Phenix_Rider
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I found a Dainese set that looks a little better than the A* reflex. $50 I think. I have yet to buy them though.

Amber Lamps
04-16-2008, 08:07 PM
A* Bionic kneeguads (mx) SUCK!!! They are huge and bulky and uncomfortable and only have two straps,Icon has four. The Bionic sx version is up next,so we'll see...