PDA

View Full Version : Speech Class

t-homo
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
So today I have to give an informative speech. I decided to do motorcycle (specifically sportbike) safety. I have a couple references to snell's website, a leather vs textile article, and couple motorcycle accident statistics. I am going to talk about pretty much every aspect of gear that I know. It has to be 5-7 minutes long. Wish me luck.

fpzx10
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Good luck :chug:

Rider
04-14-2008, 02:15 PM
I remember that class in college. Man I hated it. Back then public speaking was not my thing, but now its old hat. So the class really helped me.

the chi
04-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Good luck!! I bet you'll do great! :dthumb:

JoJoYZF
04-14-2008, 03:27 PM
I remember that class in college. Man I hated it. Back then public speaking was not my thing, but now its old hat. So the class really helped me.

Yeah that was one of my least favorite classes. Luckily now I dont have to do any public speaking in front of huge groups.

upshift
04-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Good luck man :dthumb:

t-homo
04-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Good luck man :dthumb:

Woot. I got a 93% on it.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-14-2008, 05:00 PM
lucky.

Try a discertation on the dichotomy of divorce and marrage while analyzing the qualitative and quantitative meathods of predicting divorce as it relates to wealth throughout social classes...

I'm on page eight.

Captain Morgan
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
lucky.

Try a discertation on the dichotomy of divorce and marrage while analyzing the qualitative and quantitative meathods of predicting divorce as it relates to wealth throughout social classes...

I'm on page eight.

So glad I'm not in school any more.

Mr Lefty
04-14-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm with Capt'n... forget that shit

Cutty72
04-14-2008, 06:19 PM
lucky.

I'm on page eight.

That sounds boring and complicated.

I almost always BS'd my way through reports and speaches.

azoomm
04-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Atta boy!!

I have my third speech next week, it's on Driver's Education (and the lack of quality). So far, I have a 97 in that class :) I like public speaking.... a lot.

vabarber2
04-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Thats why I played it smart and quit after high school. You learn more from the Army anyway! :lol:

Mr Lefty
04-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Vabs... your not planning on procreating anytime soon right? I hope... :lol:

t-homo
04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

NtS, have fun with that shit.

VaB, I would much rather stay in school than join the army. The whole shooting guns/being in great shape/being able to kick anyone's ass part sounds fun, but not the whole shipping off thing. Once I get out of school, I will have a license to blow shit up for a living. Getting a BS in Mining engineering with a minor in explosives engineering. They are about to start a Masters of explosives program, might go for that instead and work in hollywood or some shit.

Captain Morgan
04-14-2008, 08:41 PM
VaB, I would much rather stay in school than join the army. The whole shooting guns/being in great shape/being able to kick anyone's ass part sounds fun, but not the whole shipping off thing.

Pussy. :lol:

t-homo
04-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Pussy. :lol:

If that's how you want to put it. I have tons of respect for the guys who do, but i couldn't or don't want to do it.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys.

NtS, have fun with that shit.

VaB, I would much rather stay in school than join the army. The whole shooting guns/being in great shape/being able to kick anyone's ass part sounds fun, but not the whole shipping off thing. Once I get out of school, I will have a license to blow shit up for a living. Getting a BS in Mining engineering with a minor in explosives engineering. They are about to start a Masters of explosives program, might go for that instead and work in hollywood or some shit.

just finished that bitch up, actually. wasnt as played out as i made it sound. actually learned some interesting shit.

OneSickPsycho
04-15-2008, 12:39 AM
lucky.

I'm on page eight.

Hopefully you have spell check, retard.

upshift
04-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Woot. I got a 93% on it.

Congrats. Ive got speech next semester and its gonna suck. Im not horrible at public speaking but memorizing an entire 6 minute speech...yeah Im not that talented :lol:

NONE_too_SOFT
04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Hopefully you have spell check, retard.

hopefully you get laid sometime this year, necrophiliac.

t-homo
04-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Congrats. Ive got speech next semester and its gonna suck. Im not horrible at public speaking but memorizing an entire 6 minute speech...yeah Im not that talented :lol:

its not as hard as it sounds. you don't really have to memorize anything, just know your main points and bullshit your way to the time limit.

Quick281
04-16-2008, 03:01 AM

I think you will find it to be pretty easy. I hate my speech class, but I found it to be quite easy after we got past the 1st 8 minute presentation.

By the end of the class I was able to speak in front of the class without my notes and with very little hesitation. I am certainly no genius so I like to think anyone can pull it off. I have to say that I hated the class but that I am glad I didn't take a bullshit elective instead.

Best tip I have is to know exactly what you plan on saying and then practicing it in front of the mirror several times before the presentation. It seemed that after the 3rd or 4th practice I was able to look in the mirror and recite it without much help from my notes. It usually only took one or two more tries before I had it down. Might not work for everyone, but I thought I would pass that on.

upshift
04-16-2008, 08:05 AM
I hope so. All of my friends say its really hard but I think the mistake they're making is trying to memorize the entire speech they wrote up. As long as I can remember what I learned I think I will do okay. Thats my theory anyways.

OneSickPsycho
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
hopefully you get laid sometime this year, necrophiliac.

I'm sure I can dig something up...

I hope so. All of my friends say its really hard but I think the mistake they're making is trying to memorize the entire speech they wrote up. As long as I can remember what I learned I think I will do okay. Thats my theory anyways.

I generally run off the cuff... It's a skill like any other though... if you haven't done a lot of it, the more detailed your notes are the better... Sometimes I'll have bullet points of the main topics I want to cover, just so I can keep it in order... I've spoken so much in front of so many different people, groups of 5 to groups of 200... It's really all the same... I just look right through them and start talking... I could do it for hours... the key for me is talking about something I know...

Quick281
04-16-2008, 12:52 PM
the key for me is talking about something I know...

I think thats what I recently learned as well. If my speech was 3 or 4 big paragraphs, then I would be sure to know the 3 or 4 main points I was trying to express to my audience. Once I did that it was a lot easier.

The people who always fucked up in my class were the people we weren't prepared. As cheesy as it sounds, you can tell a big difference between the people who know what they have to say and the people who sorta know.

I am sure you will do fine. The class is worth it though.

t-homo
04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I always go in with an outline on a notecard. The notes are becoming less detailed over the semester, as I am getting better. I actually don't practice beforehand, partially due to being lazy, and, ok well that's it. As long as I am familiar with the subject then its not too bad.

comonboys
04-16-2008, 01:48 PM
That sounds boring and complicated.

I almost always BS'd my way through reports and speaches.

Hence why you still can't spell speeches..........
I just got done with my speech class. Loved it. Glad it's done though. Got an A in the class. I have horrible stage fright too so when I walk up there panic attacks.......

Full Throttle
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM

I believe thats there problem to. ill write it out read it a few time recite it then ill be good i think mines next semester to so im not really looking forward to it.