PDA

View Full Version : Gasman any tips for HD

wildchild
09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
any thoughts of how difficult it would be to add air cleaner / pipes / and power commander III to the '09 with fuel inj.

wondering if it's a DIY project or if it's better handled by shop. I would prefer DIY but......

Rider
09-25-2009, 01:26 PM
That is definitely a DIY project for ANY bike.

Cutty72
09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Agree with Rider.

But in Gas's mind, ANY job is a job for a DIY'er... :lol:

shmike
09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
That is definitely a DIY project for ANY bike.

Yep.

The only part that may require a shop is if the changes require a custom tune on the PCIII.

Rider
09-25-2009, 03:23 PM
Yep.

The only part that may require a shop is if the changes require a custom tune on the PCIII.

There are 23 pre-canned maps available for his bike. One of those should be "good enough". Spending $300 for a full custom map is silly unless you are racing the bike, then yeah it might be worthwhile then.

shmike
09-25-2009, 03:35 PM
There are 23 pre-canned maps available for his bike. One of those should be "good enough". Spending $300 for a full custom map is silly unless you are racing the bike, then yeah it might be worthwhile then.

I figured there would be maps available but I'm not familiar with his bike or the HD aftermarket in general.

There ya' go: 100% DIY.

wildchild
09-25-2009, 03:35 PM

this is the kind of info I was looking for. so you have used the PCIII?

How do you set it? instructions are useful for someone with mech ability?

funny I do all my own work on the cars and trucks, bikes I tend to stick to the easier end of things. brakes tires etc.

Rider
09-25-2009, 04:13 PM
this is the kind of info I was looking for. so you have used the PCIII?

How do you set it? instructions are useful for someone with mech ability?

funny I do all my own work on the cars and trucks, bikes I tend to stick to the easier end of things. brakes tires etc.

Yes I have installed them and they are very simple. Plug and play. You just need to decide what map you want to load. DL it to a laptop, then plug in the provided USB cable to the lappy and the PCIII and run the PCIII application. The directions are very straight forward.

The hardest part might be getting to the FI wires to connect the PCIII, but on a V-twin it's probably easier than an I-4. Don't forget to attach the battery wire.

Trip
09-25-2009, 04:33 PM
May still have to get a custom map, those standard maps are made in Las Vegas. May have to get it better suited for Wisconsin.

wildchild
09-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Yes I have installed them and they are very simple. Plug and play. You just need to decide what map you want to load. DL it to a laptop, then plug in the provided USB cable to the lappy and the PCIII and run the PCIII application. The directions are very straight forward.

The hardest part might be getting to the FI wires to connect the PCIII, but on a V-twin it's probably easier than an I-4. Don't forget to attach the battery wire.

excellent post. thanks for the info. be forewarned when i dive in I may be looking for more help. LOL

it'll be a winter project so I should have lots of time to complete it.

Gas Man
09-28-2009, 09:42 PM
This will be a shock to some. But what i would do is install the pipes and air cleaner yourself. Ride it to the shop and let them install the PCIII and custom tune it.

The closed loop FI system will adapt enough to get the bike there. Hell it will adapt enough to ride just that way. Regardless of what the shop will say. The PC will give you better mpg, cool down the motor a bit, and give it better throttle response.

wildchild
09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
This will be a shock to some. But what i would do is install the pipes and air cleaner yourself. Ride it to the shop and let them install the PCIII and custom tune it.

The closed loop FI system will adapt enough to get the bike there. Hell it will adapt enough to ride just that way. Regardless of what the shop will say. The PC will give you better mpg, cool down the motor a bit, and give it better throttle response.

i thought of doing exactly that at first. two things got in the way. first I'm dumb enough to think I may be able to tackle this. second the shops I talked to (3) won't put in the PCIII because they know a guy who fried his ECM with it, they recommend a screaming eagle product that is $200 more and only they have the maps and what not for it.
I don't mind them recommending their product. obviously they want to sell the HD stuff first but when all three gave the same scripted story about a guy frying his ECM I become immediately suspicious that mine would have issues if I had them put in the PCIII. Not that a mechanic would ever do anything to sabotage a vehicle.
I think my problem is I spent a number of years riding metric bikes. I know who the good guys are and who the slimeballs are. In the HD world here I haven't talked to a service tech yet when I didn't feel the need for a shower after talking to him just to clean the slime off that he was spewing. they all of course brag about their shops but.............

I was checking out a chopper that came out of one of the shops. Got to talking to the owner. asked what he brought it in for. just a wash. Oh, I was going to tell you it was nice to see a bike as dirty as mine out there. they didn't touch his bike other then to hose it off.
service writer promised to make it right after he said something. do they really need to be told to actually wash a bike when that was all it came in for? mech had lost a little time on other jobs and was looking for an easy make up.

Gas Man
10-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Well u may consider a private shop to do the pcIII and dyno tune. However, I think if the hd dealer does it, it don't void ur warrenty.

The se tuner is decent but I wouldn't say its the best. Hv u checked arnd more? Try some hd forums? I'm also on www.aimag.com forum and there is lots of info on thr abt tuners.

Also check out night riders site. He has lots of tech docs and a nice forum u can search. Can't wait for the inline xieds are available for the 09 flh's. They get u cooler motor and slighty better response by simply fooling the O2 sensor into telling the ecm to put in more gas to richen up the super lean epa mix they hv to hv from moco.

I'd link ya some stuff but posting on phone as I'm out in pa for the rally.

Later!

wildchild
10-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah I have a couple other sites I use. everyone I know personally has the PCIII they seem to love it and have ahd few issues.

there is a cat named Jamie from fuel moto who will send the PCIII pre programmed for your pipes and intake and gives great customer service according to folks. May give him a shout in time for it. Still kicking around the idea of finding a shop to do it as I was worried that there goes the warranty.
I know a couple shops could do it. Have to see where the thoughts are when the time comes. LOL

zer0t
10-12-2009, 11:59 AM
If you use a SERT it doesn't void the warranty either. Same thing for a TTS mastertune (which is basically a SERT).

I also agree whole heartedly with GasMan. Having a professional tuner dyno tune the bike is priceless. They run smoother (no flat spots, or decel pop), cooler and they wring out a bit more HP and torque. I think having my bike professionaly tuned was the best investment I made.

Gas Man
10-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Further, if you have it done at a HD dealer you're able to retain your warrenty.