PDA

View Full Version : Who here has forgot to remove the key when parked?

Mr Lefty
04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
I was just curious if this was a common problem. I've done it once when out riding... I'd taken my key ring off because it was scratching everything... and so I just had my key... in a panic I came back about 15 mins later to find it there... :panic:

I do it all the time at home... and usually it's the seat lock that gets me...

so anyone else?

Cutty72
04-15-2008, 07:02 PM
once in awhile in the garage... out and about i'm pretty good about grabbing it.

Smittie61984
04-15-2008, 07:14 PM
I had trouble sometimes. Not so much anymore but with my old bike I would when I first started out riding. Which normally it's because I'd kill the bike with the kickstand, take my helmet off then gloves and forget about it.

I always leave the key in when it's in my garage. Mainly because to steal my bike you'd have to navigate around a pool table and tippy toe just right around more junk to steal it. Really if you didn't know what you were doing you'd fall over.

But yeah I've done it before and probably will do it again. But not so much anymore since the 1st thing I do when I stop my bike is kill the bike then remove the key and put it in my pocket before removing my helmet, gloves and jacket.

Trip
04-15-2008, 07:34 PM
It's not unusual to see lots of keys in bikes at the gap. Most people just don't care because they know other bikers won't fuck with their rides.

Mr Lefty
04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
see yeah when I would roll home i'd flip the kill switch as not to put any more CO2 in my garage as I could help... and to keep the noise down... but several times I'd go out ready to ride and my battery would be dead because I forgot to turn the bike off... and the lights killed the battery. so now I make it a point to check my milage once I get home. just to remind me to look in that area.

It's not unusual to see lots of keys in bikes at the gap. Most people just don't care because they know other bikers won't fuck with their rides.
yeah most wont... but there are those few that would...

I had a friend in cali that had his key busted off in his ignition at a bike night... since that story... I'll do my best to keep my key in my posession

lauralynne
04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
only a couple times in the lock but I can't begin to count the number of times I've left it in the trunk! I use the key to get under the seat and turn off the comm system and take my MP3 player out - and then push the seat down to lock it and forget the key. I've had to run out in the middle of the night to get it at a hotel before.

dubbs
04-15-2008, 08:33 PM
The seat lock always gets me.. sometimes I'll be frantically looking around because I want to go for a ride.. I run all around the house and I go.. wait a sec.. Then I kick myself for bein a tard.. :rofl:

I always leave the key in it in the garage and work, but other then that I always grab it.

the chi
04-15-2008, 09:04 PM
shit I leave my key in the bike all the time, and I am the one always running out to grab it, either from my trunk or the ignition, after ive done the frantic pocket search...

Mrs. Colleen
04-15-2008, 09:08 PM
My husband is SOOOOO bad at that! :willy:

Not only has he left the keys in his bike while it was parked overnight at a track day while on the trailer...BUT...he left them in the bike on Cannery Row in Monterey during MotoGP weekend WITH both helmets on the bike! :willy: And in case you are unaware of what that looks like...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/AFIDrummerGirl/MotoGP%202006/PICT0099.jpg

He is VERY luck his bike was still there!

t-homo
04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
I do in the garage all of the time. I have left it in a couple times runnin into the gas station, but not too much. Once I was still wearing my gloves and tried to put it in my pocket as I was going into the station. The frantic search followed and while i was on my way in some guy walked out to toss them to me.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-15-2008, 09:40 PM
yea i always remove the key... and then i fucking drop it down underneath my gas tank and waste an hour looking for it before i realize i have to call drewpys grandfather to come to the gas station with a tool kit.

Smittie61984
04-15-2008, 09:45 PM
NTS. I almost did that the other day on my F3. Close call there.

Mrs. Collen. If your husband's bike is that yellow flamed one with something on the side then you need to go ahead and stick those keys back in there with a signed title.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-15-2008, 09:46 PM
i love my bike... but on that day i renounced honda for an entire hour for not realizing that was going to happen.

Mr Lefty
04-15-2008, 10:07 PM
note to self... keep tool kit in tank bag incase you have an NtS moment :lol:

JoJoYZF
04-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Ive left it in the ignition a couple times at my house but usually if I leave it anywhere on the bike its the seat lock. Thankfully its usually always at home that I do it though.

Mrs. Colleen
04-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Mrs. Collen. If your husband's bike is that yellow flamed one with something on the side then you need to go ahead and stick those keys back in there with a signed title.

:lol: No, not it! You cannot see it in the picture, it was around the corner.

Quick281
04-16-2008, 12:47 AM
I have only been riding for 3 or 4 months but I learned to get in the habit of grabbing the key and putting it on my carabiner with my other keys.

I have gotten into the habit of always putting my gloves in the little trunk, so that I am always required to pull the key out of the ignition.

On the sad side, I tend to look quite retarded when I go to fire the bike up to let it warm up while I put my gear on. Usually because I eventually realize I will need the key for the trunk to get my gloves and helmet back.

Rider
04-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Yeah , I've left them in the ignition once. A buddy of mine at work parked his bike next to me and brought me my key about an hour after I got into work..

LaFemmes
04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
I have done it once only.
It was at a stop during a ride to Bear Mountain.
I almost didnt make it to the restroom.

z06boy
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
I voted "never"...at least it's never that I remember anyways.

OneSickPsycho
04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
I do it all the time... but not cause I forget.... My bike is rarely out of eyeshot...

Gas Man
04-17-2008, 01:23 AM
On the rocket... maybe once or twice.

On the chop... never.

Mr Lefty
04-17-2008, 03:02 AM
gas... with basicly the cost of a budget house... I'd fucking hope not!

Katherine
04-17-2008, 08:50 AM
What's the proper etiquette if you park next to a stranger's bike and notice a key in it?

Mrs. Colleen
04-17-2008, 10:41 AM
What's the proper etiquette if you park next to a stranger's bike and notice a key in it?

Don't steal their bike.

Phenix_Rider
04-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Don't steal their bike.

Have them paged at whatever store it's at? Maybe drop the key off at a register/cashier?

Mr Lefty
04-17-2008, 04:35 PM
I'd leave a note that I gave the key to security... or when people leave their helmets that I placed it in the helmet. (just make sure the note is kinda inconspicuous)

ceo012384
04-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Def done it before.... more often in the rear cowl lock than the ignition.

itgirl
04-18-2008, 07:43 AM
yeah, i've definately left it in the trunk lock before, but i don't think i've ever left it in the ignition.

back when i had the street rod, you took the key outta the ignition after you started the bike and put it in your pocket. now that took some getting used to, a bike that runs without the key.

my nightster has a flip out license plate on it, that was a dandy stock feature. well, i am embarrassed to say how many times i've ridden it so far and forgotten to flip the plate out first. i'd get to a stop light and think 'oops, forgot the plate'. then i hafta reach back and flip 'er out quick. i'm gonna get pulled over sometime for sure.

Captain Morgan
04-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I was just curious if this was a common problem. I've done it once when out riding... I'd taken my key ring off because it was scratching everything... and so I just had my key... in a panic I came back about 15 mins later to find it there... :panic:

I do it all the time at home... and usually it's the seat lock that gets me...

so anyone else?

I don't think I ever did on accident, but left mine in the ignition in the garage all the time. Since I worked at home at the time, I was never worried about it.

z06boy
04-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I've aleady posted that I don't think I've ever done this BUT I have cracked a front hugger forgetting that the disc brake lock was still on. :panic:

Carolina
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
I used to at home all the time but now my son can start the bike so I always take it out when i park.

dReWpY
04-27-2008, 11:37 AM
were was that key again nTs? and that was too funny great way to start the trip

Mr Lefty
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
oh it was at the start of the trip? fuck... I'd have been furrious! something ALWAYS goes wrong at the start of every fucking trip I take... with in the last 24hrs of my trip starting. ALWAYS... and every time I'm like.. not this time... so when it does.. I get royally fucking pissed. then laugh about it 2 days later when I'm on the road.

Becca_007
04-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Park, turn bike off with key, remove gloves, through gloves over key, leave key. Yep. Done it several times but always with a bunch of bikes at events, gas stations, etc. When alone I'm much better about bringing it with me. I guess I don't use the trunk much because I've never left it there... yet.

Cutty72
04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
trunk on the buell is utterly worthless, so i doubt ill be using it.

Mr Lefty
04-28-2008, 07:54 PM
really? figured it'd be halfway decent with no underseat exhaust..

Cutty72
04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
really? figured it'd be halfway decent with no underseat exhaust..

battery is halfway in the tail section. that and the tool kit leave enough room for a pair of short cuff gloves and a neck gator.

Mr Lefty
04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
damn... that sucks... then again... I don't keep anything but my tool kit, registration, and my camera (when I don't have my tank bag) but when I do the HID... that's where my "if all else fails" spot is for the balast

Cutty72
04-28-2008, 08:03 PM
damn... that sucks... then again... I don't keep anything but my tool kit, registration, and my camera (when I don't have my tank bag) but when I do the HID... that's where my "if all else fails" spot is for the balast

I got lots of room for balast up front if I decide to do it.
I used to carry my jacket liner and a cargo net in the trunk... no more.

Mr Lefty
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
guess they figure with that dash you don't need a trunk... you got a glove box on that bitch? :lol:

No Worries
04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Not only have I forgot my key in the ignition, I've put my helmet on and forgot to latch it. I've ridden off with the kickstand down (on the old Suzuki). I've forgotten to reset my trip odometer. I've forgotten to zip up my tankbag and two paper towels I had inside flew out. Scared the crap out of me. I rode off from the gas station without paying. Luckily, they knew me and told me the next day when I filled my Jeep. I've only done them once though.

t-homo
04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I will occasionally forget to strap or snap my helmet strap. That's when I pull over and strap up. It's the worst when you get your gloves on and shit, then realized your helmet isn't strapped so you have to take off your gloves.

Crazy
04-28-2008, 09:22 PM
one time i forgot to strap the helmet... right before merging onto the highway. The first time i turned my head to do a shoulder check I felt like the helmet was about to fly off my head :rofl: I managed to somehow get it strapped on with one hand :lol:

Phenix_Rider
04-28-2008, 09:30 PM
one time i forgot to strap the helmet... right before merging onto the highway. The first time i turned my head to do a shoulder check I felt like the helmet was about to fly off my head :rofl: I managed to somehow get it strapped on with one hand :lol:

Never felt that, but I have forgotten to strap my helmet. Above 35 mph, the plastic retention gadget starts banging the hell out of the side of your helmet. My neck gaiter will do the same thing if I forget to tuck the stupid ball inside. Annoying as HELL!!

Mr Lefty
04-28-2008, 10:17 PM
I've forgot to strap my helmet on... or forgot to snap the strap... didn't notice it till I was on the freeway... my neck was all red from the strap slap'n it and shit... :lol:

Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I always leave my keys in it when its parked in my garage... but yeah i find myself leaving them either in the ignition or in the seat key hole all the time

marko138
04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Never, not anywhere. No.

Cutty72
05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
guess they figure with that dash you don't need a trunk... you got a glove box on that bitch? :lol:

not quite, but i'm sure i could figure something out.

marko138
05-01-2008, 07:44 PM
not quite, but i'm sure i could figure something out.
Figure it out while you pass this shit talker on 1 wheel and your 80 some odd foot pounds of torque.

Cutty72
05-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Figure it out while you pass this shit talker on 1 wheel and your 80 some odd foot pounds of torque.

Truth.

Over200
05-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Right when you think all your bases are covered...It hits you....Im a STUPID M'Fer!!!...Say that to myself everyday!!

No Worries
05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Anyone ever forget to put the kickstand down? And you start leaning the bike to the left and it keeps on going? One of those things you only do once. It was pure adrenaline and strength training that kept the bike from falling on it's side.

Rider
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Anyone ever forget to put the kickstand down? And you start leaning the bike to the left and it keeps on going? One of those things you only do once. It was pure adrenaline and strength training that kept the bike from falling on it's side.

No never....

Phenix_Rider
05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

Nope, never. But I've heard of plenty of "riders" that have...repeatedly. :rolleyes: What a bunch of morons.

I have, however, caught my bootlaces on the footpeg and set my foot down on gravel at a stop. Not fun, but like you said- you find ways to keep it upright.

DLIT
05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
I usually hang mine from your mom's clit.

MEDIC
05-06-2008, 08:03 PM

The very first day I got my bike I did this But never went all the way down with it , it was quite the save.

Back to the initial question .... hardly ever in the ignition But always in the underseat

Quick281
05-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Just had that happen for the first time last night. I think my the left side of my body will double from the strength it had to exert in order to save the bike. Saved it though, and I hope to never forget again.

Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Guilty as charge and it takes every bit of strength to save it and get it back up straight.

Nighthawk
05-07-2008, 08:48 PM
All day at work a couple of time. After riding for 25 years its always been there in the parking lot ready to go home.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-07-2008, 08:49 PM

i get in the habit of killing my engine w/ the kickstand. even if your in N if its the first thing you do you never have to worry about it.

ceo012384
05-08-2008, 05:14 PM
i get in the habit of killing my engine w/ the kickstand. even if your in N if its the first thing you do you never have to worry about it.
I do that too... roll up in first gear, stop, put the kickstand down and the bike shuts off. Then I flip the killswitch and pull the key.

Lamnidae
05-08-2008, 05:45 PM
I do that too... roll up in first gear, stop, put the kickstand down and the bike shuts off. Then I flip the killswitch and pull the key.

I don't think i've ever killed a bike w/ the kickstand....

And I came close to droppin' my katana like that once.... thought I ripped a nut when I was fighting to keep that thing from going over. Those damn Kan-o-tuna's got a lil' bit of weight on 'em.

t-homo
05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Those damn Kan-o-tuna's got a lil' bit of weight on 'em.

And the busa is what? featherweight?

Lamnidae
05-08-2008, 05:55 PM

:dthumb:

The Busa weighs in a few lbs less than my Katana I used to have actually (if i remember right, lemme dig up the specs).

Just double checked, closest year w/ specs was 91... pulled in at 445. Busa's 485.

not bad for such a huge increase in performance.....

BTW looked up some of the other years, they tend to hover right at 445/440lbs.

Particle Man
11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
I've done it.

I've also done the "shit, where the fuck ARE my keys?" thing a few times as well

Sixxxxer
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
The very first day I got my bike I did this But never went all the way down with it , it was quite the save.

Back to the initial question .... hardly ever in the ignition But always in the underseat

Im the same way...Ignition Rarely...Underseat Keyhole ALWAYS

And I kill the bike with the kickstand sometimes....Mostly the kill switch.

t-homo
11-07-2008, 04:54 PM

I just made myself chuckle.

Im the same way...Ignition Rarely...Underseat Keyhole ALWAYS

And I kill the bike with the kickstand sometimes....Mostly the kill switch.

Same.

Sixxxxer
11-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Im always like...SHIT I LOST MY...Oh wait its dangling in the wind Under my Tail section.

I Lol at myself alot...

Amber Lamps
11-07-2008, 05:24 PM
My key is always in the ignition at my house....It's normally in the trunk slot if I'm parked at the store...I'm terrible about leaving the key!

MissHell
11-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Only once when I first started riding, thankfully people don't steal EX250's. :lol:

Johnny Rico
11-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I never do as a matter of habit. My key is on a carabiner and as soon as I turn the bike off, it gets clipped to a belt loop. I do it so automatically now, that I can't remember doing it and have to feel for my key once I walk away from the bike.

Amorok
11-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I did it once, left the bike on in the sun for over an hour. Had to give the battery a minute to recover, but it eventually started. Now I clip my key to my belt, and I have a jump box in my saddlebag.

JARVIS518
11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
been there done that
to the point that i forgot to even turn the ignition off
killed the battery twice

HRCNICK11
12-07-2008, 09:59 AM
My 93 F2 with 42,000 miles on it was stolen off my porch. Because I washed it the night before and used the key to unlock the steering and never took it back out.

Twobanger
12-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Once or twice :panic:

wideopen1
05-19-2009, 06:57 AM
One time that I remember. And I remember because not only did I leave it in, I actually somehow stalled the bike right as I parked, and then left the key ON!!
I came back to a completely dead battery, and it would not come back to life.
$110 later for a new Yuasa, I never did that again.

Particle Man
05-19-2009, 07:01 AM
My key is always in the ignition at my house....It's normally in the trunk slot if I'm parked at the store...I'm terrible about leaving the key!

hmmmm... note to self... :lol:

MILK
05-19-2009, 09:00 AM
I do it more often than I'd like to that's for sure!! Left it in the bike the entire night at the hotel last week. Luckily it was just Franklin, NC and most of us were up half the night! :lol: I can never do it at work though - cause I wouldn't be able to get in my office!

njchopper87
05-19-2009, 02:03 PM
This topic is old as fuck, but I did once at my college. I turned the ignition off, but forgot to grab the key. To help myself remember to take the key I rearranged the sequence of events from gloves > helmet > key to gloves > key > helmet.

I also thought I put the kickstand down, but only grazed it with my boot and dropped an MSF bike. I made it a habit to look down and make sure the kickstand is actually down before letting go.

rogue
05-20-2009, 03:32 AM
It's rare when I leave mine. It's either clipped to a belt loops or it's cliped to my helmet which is always with me when I'm out riding (I don't leave it on the bike).

When I'm at home, it's almost always clipped to my helmet. Every once in a while I'll drop it on one of my desks or on the counter in a rush (usually to the bathroom) then have a panic attack looking for it later. :lol:

Gas Man
05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
What key? I don't need no key on the HD unless I want to lock the forks or bags.

Rider
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
What key? I don't need no key on the HD unless I want to lock the forks or bags.

No key? How do you turn the ignition on? Is there a key fob that you have to keep in your pocket like some of the newer cars?

Gas Man
05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
similar... all hd's can go keyless.

There is a knob on the steering head that you simply turn... that turns on the ignition and shit.

On the other hand, dudes without the security you could just take off on their bike. With mine you could turn on the ignition but not start unless the fab is within like 18" of the bike.

Then if you want you can lock the knob and steering at the same time with the key.

Its a HD thing

racedoll
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
The keys are always in the bike, unless we are out riding then I remember to pull them. But at home they are there and at my Mom's house where my brother used to live I would pull them. I could never be too sure about him.

Cutty72
05-22-2009, 12:47 AM
similar... all hd's can go keyless.

There is a knob on the steering head that you simply turn... that turns on the ignition and shit.

On the other hand, dudes without the security you could just take off on their bike. With mine you could turn on the ignition but not start unless the fab is within like 18" of the bike.

Then if you want you can lock the knob and steering at the same time with the key.

Its a HD thing

I noticed that the other day when I was looking at a Muscle. Kinda cool, have to use it a bit to see how I like it though. I like having an actual key.

Gas Man
05-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Oh you have a key and can lock the ignition knob every time if you want. But i tell ya, its not hard to get use to not using a key.

LeeNetworX
05-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Never done it.

On more than one occasion I've noticed a fellow co-worker leaving their key in their ignition and have brought it inside for them.

tlstreak
05-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I hardly ever even remove it. Maybe if im going into eat somewhere crowded. Otherwise I just leave it in the bike or in the seat lock.

Of course I live in a pretty laid back area.

CrazyKell
05-31-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm really bad for this.

I've left it in at Friday the 13th (huge thing in Port Dover, Ontario where thousands ride for the day every Friday the 13th). :panic:

I'm getting better though!

caveman
07-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Not only have I left the keys there I have often left the ignition on only to return to a dead bike or one that wont start. Nothing more embarrasing that havin to ask for a push start

Caveman

Gas Man
07-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Not only have I left the keys there I have often left the ignition on only to return to a dead bike or one that wont start. Nothing more embarrasing that havin to ask for a push start

Caveman
He speaks truth! Dumbass!! :lol:

ceo012384
07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Update: neither of my bikes have keys.

Low
09-24-2009, 03:29 PM
WoW - Tater's Whore of an ex-wife still making cameo's :lol

marko138
09-24-2009, 03:35 PM
WoW - Tater's Whore of an ex-wife still making cameo's :lol
Once a whore, always a whore.