PDA

View Full Version : 2010 South Rally Education day

derf
09-28-2009, 10:34 PM
This idea spawned from Amorok's earning of his MSF instructors cert.

That is awesome, maybe at the next rally we can do a day long ERC?

An instruction day at the rally would actually be really cool. Maybe do a riding class where we can discuss technique and such. Maybe do a garage tech class and try to show some good maintenance practices. Ask people what they want out of it and set it up that way. I wish we had an awesome suspension guru. That's what I really want to learn.

Anyway looking for ideas of what we could do as a day activity. Some things to think about first, we need someone to teach, and cost would probably be an issue; materials/tools/equipment, we will most likely all be on bikes so cant be brining too much stuff along; expense, no we can't afford Bostrom to do a day long class on body position; interest, want to keep it relevant for as many people as possible (an off roading class while cool probably would leave some folks out).

Ideas so far:

1) BRC/ERC MSF course
2) Riding technique/body position
3) garage tech class/good maintenance practices
4) suspension setup "how to"

Amorok
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, teaching a certified MSF course would require an MSF certified range, and that's kind of involved. Trip, if you know where one is I can talk to the people there and see about an ERC. otherwise I'll bring some stuff and do some nformal something.

Trip
09-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Probably better to do informal.

We need to see what kind of interest people have in this and see if people want to blow a day of vacation on learning. :lol:

Amber Lamps
09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Probably better to do informal.

We need to see what kind of interest people have in this and see if people want to blow a day of vacation on learning. :lol:

Yea... no offense but I'm certainly not interested in having anyone short of the AWESOME coming in and giving me riding lessons!

As far as suspension goes, if we pay for a bike to be adjusted, I'm sure that Ken Wheeler would be happy to give a class at his shop. Also, Race Tech produces "How To" videos on suspension that I will bring IF there is honest interest. Last year, I brought way too much crap and plan to not make that mistake again.:lol:

t-homo
09-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm not even bringing a change of clothes.

Amorok
09-29-2009, 07:44 PM
I'll bring my range cards and my stopwatch if people really want me to, we can work on some stuff but anything advanced will have to involve plotting out some distances and angles. Most likely I could just read through some things, most of what I would teach you guys would already know anyway. Is there an MSF range somewhere close by?

Trip
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
I'll bring my range cards and my stopwatch if people really want me to, we can work on some stuff but anything advanced will have to involve plotting out some distances and angles. Most likely I could just read through some things, most of what I would teach you guys would already know anyway. Is there an MSF range somewhere close by?

dont know if there is any in robbinsville, the one for knoxville is a on the other side of knoxville from the gap.

Gas Man
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Interesting... but um.... I get 400 extra points in class for bringing the full dresser.

Trip
09-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Interesting... but um.... I get 400 extra points in class for bringing the full dresser.

if you can get a knee down, you get 50k points.

derf
09-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Yea... no offense but I'm certainly not interested in having anyone short of the AWESOME coming in and giving me riding lessons!

As far as suspension goes, if we pay for a bike to be adjusted, I'm sure that Ken Wheeler would be happy to give a class at his shop. Also, Race Tech produces "How To" videos on suspension that I will bring IF there is honest interest. Last year, I brought way too much crap and plan to not make that mistake again.:lol:

Badabang, This idea is great. I know that after I had wheeler set up my suspension for me the bike feels 1000x better, but i really have no clue what he did.

marko138
09-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm not even bringing a change of clothes.

'atta boy. Stick to your principles.

Gas Man
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
if you can get a knee down, you get 50k points.
I did this weekend... I have witnesses! Just ask!