PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Alarm

Amber Lamps
04-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I just installed the Gorilla Alarm on my bike($75). Went on pretty easy. It's kinda big but not impossible. I intalled a Scorpio (top of the line $500) on a buddy's bike last week. Damn thing is so complicated he can't figure out how to use it! Anyone else have alarms on their bikes and what kind?

***NOTE: THIS POST IS NOT DESIGNED TO START A DEBATE ON THE USEFULLNESS OF ALARMS ON BIKES***

OneSickPsycho
04-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Alarms are fucking useless on motorcycles...

Just fucking with your mangina again Tig... I'd be interested in hearing what the difference is between the cheap and the expensive alarms are... not that I'd ever get one...

Mr Lefty
04-17-2008, 12:44 AM
how big is the gorilla? you have pics?

I've heard the Scorpio's are hard to install with out the OEM harness they offer.

Gas Man
04-17-2008, 12:50 AM
The scopio is super easy... I did a how to install for my big dog guys. What was so hard about it?

Amber Lamps
04-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Alarms are fucking useless on motorcycles...

Just fucking with your mangina again Tig... I'd be interested in hearing what the difference is between the cheap and the expensive alarms are... not that I'd ever get one...

Why would you? Who the FUCK would steal A Buell? :whistle:

how big is the gorilla? you have pics?

I've heard the Scorpio's are hard to install with out the OEM harness they offer.

Nah the install was easy,running it seems to be a problem for him! BTW all the harness does is let you plug into the turning signals and running light/trigger.

Amber Lamps
04-17-2008, 01:17 AM
The scopio is super easy... I did a how to install for my big dog guys. What was so hard about it?

He got the SR-i900 with two way paging lcd remote, ignition kill,proximity sensor and it auto arms when you walk away and disarms when you come back...awww my puppy is running in his sleep!....anyway,3/4 of the om deals with settings and programming! Other than finding a good spot for it on his bike,the install was cake! There's only a few wires to hook up.

My alarm is beyond easy to install. I got the 7007 which is the basic model. The hardest part was running the led,scorpio doesn't have one,and finding a spot for the big ass main unit. Btw Gorrilla offers an expansion module to make mine a paging unit complete with lcd remote for another $70 or so. This may sound dumb but one of my main reasons for going this way,other than price,was the led. IMHO the led will deter 70%+ of would be thieves.

Gas Man
04-17-2008, 01:25 AM
yeah mine doesn't have the auto arming thing...

Personally... the best deter is proimity.

Amber Lamps
04-17-2008, 01:38 AM
yeah mine doesn't have the auto arming thing...

Personally... the best deter is proimity.

I used to have a proximity style alarm on one of my old bikes...HATED IT! All it ever did for me was get me to run out of resturants to see the grinning faces of my "buddies". By the time they know you have proximity,they've got the truck backed up and four guys are ready to throw your bike in the back! Ofcourse,nobody is "throwing" your bike anywhere,I was refering to sport bikes.

On another note,a buddy of mine keeps a spare phone on his bike so they can track it with gps if it's stolen. It costs him $10 a month. If I ever get serious,I'll probably get LoJack.

6doublefive321
04-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Anyone use a disc lock with the alarm feature? I'm wondering if they are worth a crap.

The Gorilla sounds like a good option. Where did you pick it up?

Amber Lamps
04-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Anyone use a disc lock with the alarm feature? I'm wondering if they are worth a crap.

The Gorilla sounds like a good option. Where did you pick it up?

I looked at disc locks,I think I'm too lazy to put that on everytime I park my bike. Plus,you have to carry it with you so I'd forget it in another jacket all the time. My biggest fear is that I'll try to drive off with it on but the alarm feature will fix that,I think. Besides,they cost about $100 so I went with the alarm.

I got my alarm from the dealership but you can get the top of the line G unit on EBay for $150.

Antwanny
05-02-2008, 10:00 PM
alarms are useless unless your packin, or willing to throw down.Other than that its just a notice that you need to call your insurance.
________
Vapor genie vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/vaporgenie-vaporizer.html)
________
Buy Vaporizers (http://twitter.com/vaporizer)

Becca_007
05-03-2008, 07:24 AM
I have a Scorpio that I got for Christmas. One of theses.. hopefully soon... I'll install the darn thing.

ceo012384
05-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I got my alarm from the dealership but you can get the top of the line G unit on EBay for $150.

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/music/gunit/g_unit_1.jpg

Amber Lamps
05-03-2008, 04:57 PM
alarms are useless unless your packin, or willing to throw down.Other than that its just a notice that you need to call your insurance.

Well,I'm doing both so.......

Gas Man
05-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Got the glock 23 and fobus padle holster. BANG BANG

Antwanny
05-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Trigger your an old man your time for scrapping is over just shoot people its a lot easier and less tiresome.

Got the glock 23 and fobus padle holster. BANG BANG
CUTE...lol jk

just got rid of a 1st gen glock 21. little big but 13 rounds of .45= happy time. Looking for a big smith .45 nickel or stainless (cause im a baller like that)
________
Easy vape (http://vaporizer.org/)
________
Justin bieber (http://justinbieberfan.info/)

Amber Lamps
05-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Trigger your an old man your time for scrapping is over just shoot people its a lot easier and less tiresome.

CUTE...lol jk

just got rid of a 1st gen glock 21. little big but 13 rounds of .45= happy time. Looking for a big smith .45 nickel or stainless (cause im a baller like that)

not to change this into the NRA thread or anything but why a .45? I always felt that "most" were too inaccurate so I stick with .40,10 mm or .357. I realize you lose some stopping power but you have to hit it to stop it,right?

Antwanny
05-03-2008, 08:01 PM
you are right in every way i like the .45 round cause it hits hard as a mofo, but my fav pistol round is the .357 balanced hard hitter and you can shoot it all day.
________
HERBALAIRE REVIEW (http://herbalairevaporizer.com/)
________
NARUTO FORUM (http://www.tv-gossip.com/naruto/)

Amber Lamps
05-03-2008, 08:26 PM
you are right in every way i like the .45 round cause it hits hard as a mofo, but my fav pistol round is the .357 balanced hard hitter and you can shoot it all day.

AGREED! Plus,ammo is usually cheaper!

Antwanny
05-03-2008, 09:40 PM
indeedy i just shoot .38s when at the range then have the real rounds at home. I like the 9mm as well its a kinda weak round but its good.
________
Amc spirit specifications (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/AMC_Spirit)
________
Hotels in mexico (http://mexicohoteles.org)

t-homo
05-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Lets get back to alarm talk. Since I am getting a newer bike soon, I really want to get one, especially since it will be parked outside probably.

Gas Man
05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Scorpio... DONE

t-homo
05-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Scorpio... DONE

Should I go for the full out scorpio kit? It's only like 70 above the middle one.

marko138
05-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Why would you? Who the FUCK would steal A Buell? :whistle:

The gang bangers who drove by and about twisted their neck staring at mine, thats who.

Rider
05-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Why? Nobody would want to steal you fucking bike anyway....

Seriously though, didn't you already have an alarm on the Gix?

Amber Lamps
05-05-2008, 12:59 PM
The gang bangers who drove by and about twisted their neck staring at mine, thats who.

Shit,if they did steal it they'd just ride it a couple of times and bring it back with a note saying," sorry about that,we thought it was a sportbike until we rode it"....:whistle:

Why? Nobody would want to steal you fucking bike anyway....

Seriously though, didn't you already have an alarm on the Gix?

um if this was to me,I had a Scorpio for a couple of weeks and got rid of it because of the "friendly" false alarms. I installed the Gorrilla alarm because I park outside now at night.

Lamnidae
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
I'd say Lo-Jack and be done w/ it.

The whole "remote kill feature" yeah that's nice and all, but most of the folks are just gonna take your bike and toss it on a flatbed trailer or in the back of a truck.

Amber Lamps
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
I'd say Lo-Jack and be done w/ it.

The whole "remote kill feature" yeah that's nice and all, but most of the folks are just gonna take your bike and toss it on a flatbed trailer or in the back of a truck.

Hey,there's an motorcycle alarm that has gps in it. My hard drive crashed-fucking Dell-so I don't have the address but if I find it I'll share.

Lamnidae
05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Hey,there's an motorcycle alarm that has gps in it. My hard drive crashed-fucking Dell-so I don't have the address but if I find it I'll share.

How 'bout I just link the damn thing for ya.

http://www.bikebone.com/GPS-tracking-&-recovery-system-review.htm

One of the many.

Gas Man
05-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Should I go for the full out scorpio kit? It's only like 70 above the middle one.

the 600 will do most of what you need.

t-homo
05-06-2008, 12:46 AM
the 600 will do most of what you need.

Looks like the only difference is that the 900 automatically arms the system? Do either of them have a vibrate setting instead of being a loud as hell alarm?

Amber Lamps
05-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Looks like the only difference is that the 900 automatically arms the system? Do either of them have a vibrate setting instead of being a loud as hell alarm?

I'm assuming you mean the remote and the answer is yes,you can set the remote to vibrate. Btw I believe all of the Scorpios will passively arm like a car alarm but the 900 will arm and disarm when the remote gets within a certain distance. It was funny but the kid I installed the 900 for kept trying to demo his new alarm with the remote in his pocket,so it wouldn't go off and he kept getting angry!

t-homo
05-06-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm assuming you mean the remote and the answer is yes,you can set the remote to vibrate. Btw I believe all of the Scorpios will passively arm like a car alarm but the 900 will arm and disarm when the remote gets within a certain distance. It was funny but the kid I installed the 900 for kept trying to demo his new alarm with the remote in his pocket,so it wouldn't go off and he kept getting angry!

Alright that's what I was thinking. I am probably going to get one, especially if I get the R1 I am looking at tomorrow. What do you think of the proximity sensor and the ignition disable?

Amber Lamps
05-06-2008, 02:29 AM
Alright that's what I was thinking. I am probably going to get one, especially if I get the R1 I am looking at tomorrow. What do you think of the proximity sensor and the ignition disable?

Gasman loves the proximity sensor,I personally hate it cause it causes false alarms which cause you to ignore your alarm after awhile. The positive side is that it will only go off so many times before that sensor will shut itself off until the system is reset. Plus you can turn the prox sensor on and off at will.

I like the fact that with ignition disable your bike won't start unless the remote is in range (on the 900)but like someone mentioned,most thefts are grab and go so it really doesn't make any difference. It does have a "carjack" feature that lets you turn your bike off it someone snatches it from you. Unless you have the remote attached to the key,duh! My biggest problem with ignition kill is if something goes wrong with the install or the system your bike won't start. It's really a matter of preference.

I mounted my unit on the subframe so if anyone so much as touches my bike the two stage shock sensor warns them away. Btw I suggest a similar mounting location for your Scorpio, Alot of guys like putting them under the seat but I'd rather place it in the tail on the subframe. Again personal preference.

Gas Man
05-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Tigger hit on most my pov on proxy.

On the ignition disable... I will give this STERN WARNING!

Please considered carefully tapping into ANYTHING with your ignition. Its not something you should take lightly. These electronics like ignition are touchy. You will get more problems out of it than you want.

Instead tap into the starter trigger wire (the small one not the big power wire), try the clutch or kickstand safety switch. Just wire the alarm relay inline. The alarm when "ON" just activates the "kill" (relay) and breaks the "chosen" circuit to stop the bike from starting. When you do this try to use spade connectors in a logical manner so if Tigger's speculation is right... you can bypass the alarm by essentially returning the bike's wiring back to normal/stock.

Now granted this turns it into a simple starter kill and you will not be able to use the "anti-hijack" feature this way but really that is ok. Further one of these ways is how I protect my $50k chop and it works well.

t-homo
05-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I was talking to the guy at the local small dealer about it, and he recommended that I go with the proximity sensor but not ignition disable. He also said he would match internet prices as long as they weren't way too low. I was disappointed though because he thought they were a pit bull dealer but weren't. He is a woodcraft dealer though...

Gas Man
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
As I said... you don't have to use it on the ignition... just view it as a starting kill instead. Trust me it works!