PDA

View Full Version : TWF track day, northeast

tommymac
10-07-2009, 07:44 AM
After talking with marko at the NE rally I go tthe idea to see if we could plan a group track day next season. First theres some stuff we will need to figure out.

Which track: I figured we have a few choices and want to make it somewhat central so more people can come. Figure we have NJMP, Beaver Run, Summit point (depending on the pavement situation), and VIR ( I would prefer the south over the north course.

What time of year: later in the season or earlier, I would prefer earlier but with the big rally in early june it may be tougher for some people. Not too keen on heading south in the 90 degree days of july and august though. Also weekday vs weekend since the weekend days fill up fast.

What organization: I think if we get a large enough group we could try to get a discounted rate. Also if anyone is tight with someone in a particualr org we could look into that. Mos torgs will have next years schedules out around the end of the year so once they start comming out we can pick a day or days.

Tom

marko138
10-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I know CEO used to run with Tony's alot. Now he's a control rider with Boston Moto. He might be able to help us out if we can get enough people together. And both of those guys run down this way, Pocono, NJMP, etc.

tommymac
10-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I know CEO used to run with Tony's alot. Now he's a control rider with Boston Moto. He might be able to help us out if we can get enough people together. And both of those guys run down this way, Pocono, NJMP, etc.

That could work, I hadnt ridden with either of those clubs but have heard good stuff about them. Plus I had fun on lightning on monday so am abit biased towards NJMP (plus its closer to home for me ;) )

Tom

CasterTroy
10-07-2009, 08:06 AM
CMP has new pavement and new schedules....I hope to check it out in the next month or so

Trip
10-07-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm changing this to northeast, since I doubt this has hope of going to a southern track.

CasterTroy
10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm changing this to northeast, since I doubt this has hope of going to a southern track.

Thanks dream killer :lol:

Trip
10-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks dream killer :lol:

start a southeastern one. I would probably show up to one of those, wouldn't ride, but I could bring the SLR and shoot.

marko138
10-07-2009, 08:59 AM
start a southeastern one. I would probably show up to one of those, wouldn't ride, but I could bring the SLR and shoot.
CEO has 3 bikes, ride on of his.

Trip
10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
CEO has 3 bikes, ride on of his.

Come down here, the tracks are better.

I will probably take my GS to a track day eventually, but it will be a local private day where only 7 people are on a track at a time.

marko138
10-07-2009, 09:16 AM

I will probably take my GS to a track day eventually, but it will be a local private day where only 7 people are on a track at a time.
I'd love to. But, as you might imagine, it's probably not gonna happen.

Trip
10-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I'd love to. But, as you might imagine, it's probably not gonna happen.

Well then why would you expect me to go north? :nee: That's too far of a drive for me to go to a substandard track when I have better options on a few hours away.

tommymac
10-07-2009, 09:22 AM

Thats why i threw summit and vir out there. main and vir south are 2 of my favorites and usualy make a trek to vir and a few to summit. Now as far as better tracks NJMP will stand up to most of whats down there just fine except for barber.

TOm

marko138
10-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Well then why would you expect me to go north? :nee: That's too far of a drive for me to go to a substandard track when I have better options on a few hours away.
Cuz you're Mr. Photard all the sudden.

Trip
10-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Thats why i threw summit and vir out there. main and vir south are 2 of my favorites and usualy make a trek to vir and a few to summit. Now as far as better tracks NJMP will stand up to most of whats down there just fine except for barber.

TOm

NJMP and Barber are not my type of tracks. Too wide open and you get way too may straight line queens at them. I prefer tighter technical tracks.

Cuz you're Mr. Photard all the sudden.

Photard? Are you making fun of Tom Hanks in Big when he is in the toy store playing with the laser tag Photon?

http://www.lasertronworldchampionships.com/Laser_Tag_Tournament_Images/Laser_Tag_Tournament_BhodiLi.jpg

marko138
10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
NJMP and Barber are not my type of tracks. Too wide open and you get way too may straight line queens at them. I prefer tighter technical tracks.

Photard? Are you making fun of Tom Hanks in Big when he is in the toy store playing with the laser tag Photon?

http://www.lasertronworldchampionships.com/Laser_Tag_Tournament_Images/Laser_Tag_Tournament_BhodiLi.jpg

I also prefer tight tracks. But I just simply dont have enough vacation time to do all this stuff.

And photard...it's what we called ourselves in the news biz. Like retard...:squint:

Trip
10-07-2009, 09:43 AM
The F1 kart tracks at NJMP look more fun than the big track. Would love to get my fiddy on it.

tommymac
10-07-2009, 09:44 AM

thundebolt has its share of technical stuff on it. Lighning is more for the bigger bikes, I was there monday and guys on 1ks woul dpass me on the straights only for me to brake earlier because they checked up and then i woul dpass them back one or 2 turns later.

Tom

Trip
10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
guys on 1ks woul dpass me on the straights only for me to brake earlier because they checked up and then i woul dpass them back one or 2 turns later.

That gets annoying real fast. I never really enjoyed track in the first place. I much rather street, which is why I sold my 600rr in favor of a GS.

CasterTroy
10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
The F1 kart tracks at NJMP look more fun than the big track. Would love to get my fiddy on it.

CMP has a new kart track and there MAY be a mini-moto/supermoto day in november

You need to bring the fitty...I had a BLAST running with fitty's on Palmetto this past weekend

http://www.troybaker.com/mz/pal0924.jpg

Trip
10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
CMP has a new kart track and there MAY be a mini-moto/supermoto day in november

You need to bring the fitty...I had a BLAST running with fitty's on Palmetto this past weekend

Now that sounds like fun.

Sean
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Track bike rental places anywhere?

tommymac
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Track bike rental places anywhere?

I am prety sure team promotion rents bikes. Not sure about the smaller clubs but I woul dthink th elarge rones like nesba and STT do.

Tom

Trip
10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
I am prety sure team promotion rents bikes. Not sure about the smaller clubs but I woul dthink th elarge rones like nesba and STT do.

Tom

I have never seen anyone renting bikes at a STT day. They rent leathers and stuff, but not bikes. I know they do some promo days with like Buell and such, but not that often and not at every track.

tommymac
10-07-2009, 11:15 AM
I have never seen anyone renting bikes at a STT day. They rent leathers and stuff, but not bikes. I know they do some promo days with like Buell and such, but not that often and not at every track.

I had never ridden with them so I wasnt sure. I know TPM did but I have ridden with them for 4 years. I think fishtail which is more of a school does also.

Tom

derf
10-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Tom

http://teampromotion.com/tpm.php?page_id=track_rental

Motorcycle and Equipment Rental

Team Pro-Motion has a full range of safety equipment for rent. Whether you are a first time track rider who is not quite ready to purchase a leather suit, or you simply forgot your boots at home, we have you covered!

The Team also rents motorcycles prepared for the track. Late model Yamaha R6 models and Honda CBR600 models are available on a first come first serve basis.

The following equipment is available for rent. We do not rent helmets. It is best to reserve them during your track event reservation process before your event date, as quantities are limited.

Equipment Daily Cost
Late Model 600cc machines prepared for track riding $295*
Leather Suit $50**
Back Protector $25*
Boots $25*
Gloves $25*
Combination Package –
Includes Leather suit, back protector, boots and gloves $95**
Leather Suit including Back Protector $50*
Boots and Gloves Package $35*
*All rentals require a damage deposit depending on the specific equipment.

Motorcycle damage deposit - $1,500.00
Back Protector, Boots and Gloves - $100.00
**Leather suits if damaged will be sold to the renter for a cost of $400

Trip
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
holy crap, totally not worth it if you go down

Sean
10-07-2009, 11:25 AM
holy crap, totally not worth it if you go down

Oh it'd cost me a whole lot more than $1500 if I crashed my bike.

marko138
10-07-2009, 11:35 AM

The Buell days you only get 1 or 2 sessions on the Buell, they don't let you ride them the entire time.

Phenix_Rider
10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
If/When I get a track bike, I'm in. Trailering to Barber or far south just isn't going to happen though.

CrazyKell
10-07-2009, 03:46 PM
I *could* be interested depending on the track. Coming from as far north as I am, I'd want it to be a more north-eastern track. :idk:

marko138
10-07-2009, 03:46 PM
If/When I get a track bike, I'm in. Trailering to Barber or far south just isn't going to happen though.
What did you make of that bike Sunday?

Phenix_Rider
10-07-2009, 10:56 PM
What did you make of that bike Sunday?

It looks great. Couple (Very) minor scuffs on the clutch cover- so small they make Brian's look like he slid for a mile and wore it completely through :lol: The rest of it is immaculate. The headers are amazingly clean, and the plastics are in great shape, and the tail is much nicer than hotbodies. Few scuffs on the swingarm from boots, but the rearsets on it are much nicer for aggressive riding. The arrow exhaust on it sounds decent- definitely distinctive. There's also a box of nitnoid stock stuff (triple trees, bent fork, headlight), a ground down set of race plastics, power commander, shop manual, and extra sprockets. And the rear pitbull stand goes with it. Offered to let me ride it in the alley out back, but I wouldn't feel right without having the money to give if I drop it. And having no way to get it home...

He also has a Speed Triple, a 749, and an older GSXR 750 race bike in the same garage. All in very nice shape. None have terribly high mileage, but you can tell he takes care of them.

I didn't want to lowball the guy too bad, but asked if he'd take 3 grand. Nope- $3500 is the lowest he'll go. Fair enough. I just have to find a place to store it. Already have two bikes in the garage with all the other crap. Thinking of finding a self storage to put it in over the winter.

derf
10-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Sounds like you might be taking the plunge

marko138
10-08-2009, 07:50 AM
It looks great. Couple (Very) minor scuffs on the clutch cover- so small they make Brian's look like he slid for a mile and wore it completely through :lol: The rest of it is immaculate. The headers are amazingly clean, and the plastics are in great shape, and the tail is much nicer than hotbodies. Few scuffs on the swingarm from boots, but the rearsets on it are much nicer for aggressive riding. The arrow exhaust on it sounds decent- definitely distinctive. There's also a box of nitnoid stock stuff (triple trees, bent fork, headlight), a ground down set of race plastics, power commander, shop manual, and extra sprockets. And the rear pitbull stand goes with it. Offered to let me ride it in the alley out back, but I wouldn't feel right without having the money to give if I drop it. And having no way to get it home...

He also has a Speed Triple, a 749, and an older GSXR 750 race bike in the same garage. All in very nice shape. None have terribly high mileage, but you can tell he takes care of them.

I didn't want to lowball the guy too bad, but asked if he'd take 3 grand. Nope- $3500 is the lowest he'll go. Fair enough. I just have to find a place to store it. Already have two bikes in the garage with all the other crap. Thinking of finding a self storage to put it in over the winter.
Do you think you have enough time to wait? Has he had other offers?

Phenix_Rider
10-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Do you think you have enough time to wait? Has he had other offers?

He's only posted it on one board that I can tell. Said he's had a few calls, but no one else he considered serious. If he doesn't sell it, he might race it next season in the smaller classes his new Ducati isn't eligible for. SS1000 I think?

derf
10-16-2009, 11:48 PM
I just got an email from tonys track days

Hi Everyone,

We have released the first NJ trackday special and it's a good one! :-)

If you pay with a check, your price per day is just $187.50 and this will include garage space and can even include some weekend days. Finally, these are all on the bigger Thunderbolt course, which is the same course the Pros run on TV!

We have 6 confirmed dates for NJ next year, and 2 more tentative. We'll have some Sunday / Monday combinations as well as some Monday / Tuesdays. (full schedule is listed on our homepage)

We haven't set final pricing, but I'm thinking for the Sunday / Monday combinations, it will likely be $250 for Sundays and $225 for Mondays. (Yes, the track charges us more for a Monday combined with a Sunday)

On the Monday / Tuesday combos, the price will likely remain at $200 per day.

These would be the early payment prices and will go up in the last 2 weeks. Garage space will be $10 extra per day.

As always, we will limit the spots sold each day to ensure the track is not overcrowded. If you rode with us in NJ this year, you know that we always had tons of tracktime and minimal downtime due to crashes. We fully expect to continue this trend in 2010.

So if you think you'd like to join us in NJ next year for 3 events (an event is 2 consecutive days), here is the link to the specials page. Then NJ special is below the NH special.

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/category/5681/off-season-specials.htm

Thank you, and please email me with any questions before ordering.

Sincerely,

Tony
www.TonysTrackDays.com

$187 for a day isn't bad, I didnt see the dates on the website yet

tommymac
10-17-2009, 07:17 AM
I just got an email from tonys track days

$187 for a day isn't bad, I didnt see the dates on the website yet

Thats def a thought, I am fine with doing weekdays instead of weekends anyway. I guess we will see when the schedules come out and what works best for everyone.

Tom

derf
10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
If you pay with a check in advance 187 is the standard price, weekday or weekend

tommymac
10-17-2009, 01:25 PM
If you pay with a check in advance 187 is the standard price, weekday or weekend

thats good to know, that way we have the same price for whatever day is decided on.

Tom

derf
10-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Sun / Mon - May 2,3 (NJ)

Sun / Mon - June 27,28 (NJ)

Mon / Tue - Aug 30,31 (NJ)

Sun / Mon - Sept 19,20 (NJ)

Here are the days that Tony's will be at NJMP. The 2,3 may looks to work best with the group as a whole's schedule.

tommymac
10-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Sun / Mon - May 2,3 (NJ)

Sun / Mon - June 27,28 (NJ)

Mon / Tue - Aug 30,31 (NJ)

Sun / Mon - Sept 19,20 (NJ)

Here are the days that Tony's will be at NJMP. The 2,3 may looks to work best with the group as a whole's schedule.

that for lightning or thunderbolt?

derf
10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Thunderbolt

tommymac
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Thunderbolt

nice, with their org at t-bolt do they just run the second chicaine?

Tom

derf
10-19-2009, 08:19 PM
Just the 2nd chicane, also here are their passing rules

Beginners

BELOW are two TRACK MAPS with the passing areas for the respective groups. The RED areas indicate NO PASSING areas.

In our beginner or slow group, we allow passing in 6 areas of the track. On average, you should not be "stuck" behind a slower rider for more than 15 seconds or so. Remember, if you find yourself behind a large group of riders, the smart move is to relax and work on your reference points... and then roll through pit area slowly. If there's a large pack of bikes together, that means there is plenty of empty track somewhere.

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/custom/images/track-images/NJ_Map_Red2.JPG

Intermediate and Expert

The Intermediate and Advanced groups will follow the rules below. Basically, we are only limiting passes from the entry cone to the exit cone. These corners are so fast, that most of the no passing zones go by in less than two seconds. On the longer corners (between 7 and 8, and 9) we allow outside passing. We don't allow passing in the "esses" or before the "kink" onto the front straight. It is simply too high speed and bikes are "flip flopping" too quickly to safely designate an "outside".

http://www.tonystrackdays.com/custom/images/track-images/NJ_Map_Yellow_Blue%20(1).jpg

Like I said I had a blast with them, much more organized fun and laid back than the car track days Ive done in the past.

Sean
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
wtf...so no outbraking people, even in expert?? That's like, the most basic passing maneuver...

derf
10-19-2009, 11:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATlRI6R10sU

This guy rode with tonys a few weeks back, he was fast.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/1412/o19y.jpg

TTD
10-19-2009, 11:49 PM
wtf...so no outbraking people, even in expert?? That's like, the most basic passing maneuver...

I'm curious...

What part of the rules do you feel say "no outbraking"?

I hear this a lot, and I'd like to re-write it to be clearer because that is definitely not our intention.

While the bikes are straight up and down, there is no "outside".

All we say is that once the rider in front is ready to turn in (which is at the Entry Cone), you cannot come up his inside.

Trip
10-20-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm curious...

I hear this a lot, and I'd like to re-write it to be clearer because that is definitely not our intention.

While the bikes are straight up and down, there is no "outside".

All we say is that once the rider in front is ready to turn in (which is at the Entry Cone), you cannot come up his inside.

Yeah, this is pretty common. I don't think you will ever win the war over this misunderstanding. Some of us apperciate the no passing on the inside of a corner at a track day. Too easy to get taken out by someone who lowsides. It's not a race, no need for dumb passes.

Sean
10-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm curious...

Because the map clearly shows that there's no passing in the braking zones and in the entries to corners, where all the outbraking would happen.

TTD
10-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Because the map clearly shows that there's no passing in the braking zones and in the entries to corners, where all the outbraking would happen.

I tried to make the map show no passing from entry to exit cone.

I am starting my braking long before the red areas.

Maybe I'll add wording to clarify?

tommymac
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
I tried to make the map show no passing from entry to exit cone.

I am starting my braking long before the red areas.

Maybe I'll add wording to clarify?

In intermediate/expert, from the apex to the exit, can you pass on the inside so to speak. I am in intermediate and in the orgs I have ridden with theres no inside passing from entry to apex, but after the apex you could go on the inside.

I use that to pass people when I can and would just want to be sure so that I dont spook another rider or get black flagged.

Tom

Sean
10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Here expert means "pass anywhere, just don't hit anyone". Expert is commonly called "race group" and is generally filled with trackbikes with numbers on them. At my last track day I rode in A and I think I had the only streetbike in the group.

TTD
10-20-2009, 04:29 PM
We encourage you to wait until after the exit cone... but we are less concerned with after the apex.

In other words, passing on the inside from Entry to Apex will get you spoken to and/or black flagged.

After the Apex but before the Exit Cone are looked at on a case by case. If you can do it and still leave 6 feet of space... no one is going to bother you.

If you do it and get too close to the passee and/or run him wide... we'll be talking.

Something to keep in mind is that while we have these rules, we also have a different type of rider. We encourage people to take a look behind them once in a while and to let others by if anyone is there.

The majority of our riders are just out to have a good time and are not looking to go bar to bar or drag race anyone. Because of this, there is usually much less need to make agressive passes in the corner areas because our riders will gladly let you by on the straights.

TTD
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Here expert means "pass anywhere, just don't hit anyone". Expert is commonly called "race group" and is generally filled with trackbikes with numbers on them. At my last track day I rode in A and I think I had the only streetbike in the group.

That is the case with most trackday org's.

We are a little different and don't have a "race group". In fact, if you have a race license, you need permission from me to attend and I'll try to talk you out of it because most racers feel the need to pass immediately upon catching someone... and our rules will prevent that.

However, there are racers out there (usually the older ones) that are no longer looking to dice it up and are just looking to have some good laps with minimal risk of being taken out.

tommymac
10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
We encourage you to wait until after the exit cone... but we are less concerned with after the apex.

In other words, passing on the inside from Entry to Apex will get you spoken to and/or black flagged.

After the Apex but before the Exit Cone are looked at on a case by case. If you can do it and still leave 6 feet of space... no one is going to bother you.

If you do it and get too close to the passee and/or run him wide... we'll be talking.

Something to keep in mind is that while we have these rules, we also have a different type of rider. We encourage people to take a look behind them once in a while and to let others by if anyone is there.

The majority of our riders are just out to have a good time and are not looking to go bar to bar or drag race anyone. Because of this, there is usually much less need to make agressive passes in the corner areas because our riders will gladly let you by on the straights.

Thx for the clarification, I just wanted to know so I can ride accordingly. I am usualy prety careful in my passing and will sometmes not take an opportunity if I think I can just squeeze through. I just dont want to be that guy who ruins someone elses day by taking them out.

Tom

TTD
10-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Thx for the clarification, I just wanted to know so I can ride accordingly. I am usualy prety careful in my passing and will sometmes not take an opportunity if I think I can just squeeze through. I just dont want to be that guy who ruins someone elses day by taking them out.

Tom

Sounds like you're the exact type of rider we're looking for.

For what it's worth, we've been running 12 years now... and I think we had only 2 bikes touch in that time.

Our rules attract the right type of riders... and just having people with a similar attitude as yours automatically translates to fewer crashes and more track time.

We are sort of "the kinder, gentler trackday"

:D

mondos06cbr1000
10-20-2009, 05:57 PM
you guys should get in touch with CEO

There are a few other good track day organizations in the northeast as well...

Boston Moto
http://www.bostonmoto.com/

LAPS (Lean Angle Performance School)
http://www.leanangleperformance.com/register/

Both also run quality track days.

I'm pretty sure Boston Moto is doing another NJ trackday as well and I think they do Lightning, im not sure tho. They also did VIR this year as well. I've heard great things about Monticello and maybe they will make it out there this year too.

If you guys want more details shoot me a PM and i'll put you in touch with them.

It be nice to see some of you guys (i've met DLIT and obv CEO, but I remember alot of you guys from this forum and dare i say...that other forum that i use to belong too?)

Boston Moto
10-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words Mondo :)

Tom, in case you might be wondering our TD rules are here: http://bostonmoto.com/pdf/track-day-rules.pdf

We allow passing anywhere in the Advanced group, and stress that passes must be made safely with appropriate room between bikes. The job of our Control Riders that are circulating and the professional corner working staff (we do not use volunteer corner workers like some other orgs) is to keep an eye out to ensure passes are made safely in all groups.

Recently we've had the pleasure of a few top LRRS guys (Fred Stearns, Christian Cronin) who have attended our track days and the feedback was very positive. Fred may actually be in a similar situation as you are, he's getting a bit tired of the stresses of racing and not enjoying it as much anymore, and says he has a blast at our events.

Maybe that helps, maybe not, but you clearly have options!! Feel free to PM us with any specific questions you may have.