PDA

View Full Version : BCS standings

tommymac
10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
they will be comming out this week so the fun shall begin. Seems like the loser of the sec title game will be on tghe outside looking in for the national title. Looks like the # 3 spot may be the spot to be in.

I am sure this will stir more controversey and if obamas not too busy walking on water maybe he will step in and fix the mess :lol:

Tom

Trip
10-13-2009, 11:31 AM
it's only fair for the SEC to send only one team to the title game. If you lose the SEC title game, you don't deserve to go. Hell look at Georgia two years ago. They didn't even go to the SEC title game and they were bitching about not going to the champ game. Fuck you, you didn't even win your division, you dont deserve to go.

I can still hope for a playoffs even though the faggot big 10 will never let us have it.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Suppose fla and al aare realy the 2 top teams in the country they prolly should get consideration to play in the title game. I think it almost happened a few yrs ago with one of the big 12 teams.

I think GA should have played USC that year. GA destroyed hawaii and usc spanked illinois, 2 teams that obviously had no business being in a bcs game.

Trip
10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Suppose fla and al aare realy the 2 top teams in the country they prolly should get consideration to play in the title game. I think it almost happened a few yrs ago with one of the big 12 teams.

I think GA should have played USC that year. GA destroyed hawaii and usc spanked illinois, 2 teams that obviously had no business being in a bcs game.

Well think about the first Florida title win 3 years ago, Michigan and Ohio State played and tOSU won. The fuckin Big 10 people were screaming rematch, they are the best teams EVAR!!! Florida plays tOSU and beats them to a fuckin pulp. Big 10 finds out they suck in comparison, LSU carries on with the beating the next year. All is well in SEC land.

I was against the rematch for the Michigan/tOSU game and I am against rematches for SEC teams as well.

I do think every conference needs a title game or no conference should have title games. You are just beating yourselves up for no damn reason in a shitty system. Play more out of conference teams and get two of your best teams in the national championship without playing each other.

marko138
10-13-2009, 11:55 AM
JoePa is for a playoff, I know that.

Trip
10-13-2009, 12:00 PM
JoePa is for a playoff, I know that.

Not many other coaches are for it, but Joe Pa hasn't really been reaping the reward of that type of system recently. tOSU and Michigan have been.

Jim Delaney the head of Big 10 is the real problem. He loves getting all that money from the bowls.

marko138
10-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Yep. Doucher. And F the sweater vest.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Well think about the first Florida title win 3 years ago, Michigan and Ohio State played and tOSU won. The fuckin Big 10 people were screaming rematch, they are the best teams EVAR!!! Florida plays tOSU and beats them to a fuckin pulp. Big 10 finds out they suck in comparison, LSU carries on with the beating the next year. All is well in SEC land.

I was against the rematch for the Michigan/tOSU game and I am against rematches for SEC teams as well.

I do think every conference needs a title game or no conference should have title games. You are just beating yourselves up for no damn reason in a shitty system. Play more out of conference teams and get two of your best teams in the national championship without playing each other.

Good points, sometimes its hard to tell who is realy deserving, but if both fla and ala beat a whole bunch of quality opponents and have a close game in the title game they may get a remach esp if there are no other undefeated teams.

These conference championships also help generate more revenue for the schools/conferences. Thing was a few years ago when the big 8 became the big 12 and the sec took in a few teams you kinda had ot have a playoff. At this time i cant see the big ten or pac 10 going that way.

Tom

Rider
10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
I hate the BCS but it's better than awarding the NC to a team that may not be the best. I know the current setup is not a guarantee either but at least you get the #1 and #2 playing each other. You don't get shared titles anymore like UW and UM had in 1991.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I hate the BCS but it's better than awarding the NC to a team that may not be the best. I know the current setup is not a guarantee either but at least you get the #1 and #2 playing each other. You don't get shared titles anymore like UW and UM had in 1991.

Problem is when you get a few teams that may be deserving of a shot. Seem slik eevery year theres one or 2 teams that kinda get screwed.

Tom

Rider
10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Problem is when you get a few teams that may be deserving of a shot. Seem slik eevery year theres one or 2 teams that kinda get screwed.

Tom

Oh I know the system is flawed and I am for a playoff. I just think it's better than the old system.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh I know the system is flawed and I am for a playoff. I just think it's better than the old system.

its a step in the right direction, I just dont see a playoff happening with all the money all the schools get for the stupid bowl games. I think it woul dhurt the smaller programs since they would kinda hav eot do away with the (insert sponsor name here ) Bowls that the smaller schools usualy go to.

Tom

Rider
10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
its a step in the right direction, I just dont see a playoff happening with all the money all the schools get for the stupid bowl games. I think it woul dhurt the smaller programs since they would kinda hav eot do away with the (insert sponsor name here ) Bowls that the smaller schools usualy go to.

Tom

My solution would be to keep all the current bowls minus the BCS championship bowl. Have an 8 team playoff after Jan 1. So you go 3 weeks into January. No big deal.

The 8 teams would be the best team from each of the 6 BCS conferences and 2 at large teams.

Trip
10-13-2009, 02:35 PM

LSU/USC managed to share the AP and BCS titles in 2003.

We need a real NCAA champion of college football. There has never been a recognized NCAA champion of college football. That's just messed up. Pretty much every other major NCAA sport has this...

What I would like to see is the six BCS conferences have conference championship games. If you want in, you have to have a conference title game. The winner from these title games plays in a 8 team playoff. With 2 at large/open spots for crappy conferences or 2 other good teams that didn't win their conference.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM
My solution would be to keep all the current bowls minus the BCS championship bowl. Have an 8 team playoff after Jan 1. So you go 3 weeks into January. No big deal.

The 8 teams would be the best team from each of the 6 BCS conferences and 2 at large teams.

An 8 teaqm playoff is the wa yto go but should be the best 8 teams not necessarily conference champs. the loser of this years sec title game should still be considered one of the 8 best teams in the country. No matter what there will be some sort of controversey.

Trip
10-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Hey we think alike, lolz

Trip
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM
An 8 teaqm playoff is the wa yto go but should be the best 8 teams not necessarily conference champs. the loser of this years sec title game should still be considered one of the 8 best teams in the country. No matter what there will be some sort of controversey.

In my solution, every conference is forced to have a conference champ game. That is part of the playoffs. If you can't win in the playoffs, tough shit. The best team doesn't always win the championship, that's why you play the game.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 02:41 PM
In my solution, every conference is forced to have a conference champ game. That is part of the playoffs. If you can't win in the playoffs, tough shit. The best team doesn't always win the championship, that's why you play the game.

I just dont like every conference getting an automatic representation, some years a conference could be real shitty then you could have something like the sec or big 12 with 3 or 4 potential good teams.

the problem with football compared to other sprts is its a one game winner take all set up so anything can happen. in other sprts a 5 or 7 game series the better team is going to usualy win out.

Tom

Trip
10-13-2009, 02:46 PM
I just dont like every conference getting an automatic representation, some years a conference could be real shitty then you could have something like the sec or big 12 with 3 or 4 potential good teams.

the problem with football compared to other sprts is its a one game winner take all set up so anything can happen. in other sprts a 5 or 7 game series the better team is going to usualy win out.

Tom

That's why you have open/at large bids. Polls don't work, they never have and never will. This erases the need for polls completely except for the two at large spots.

Look at the playoffs in every other pro sport. Not every division deserves a spot, but it reduces the amount of games needed to play drastically. You can't have a 64 team playoff in football like you can in NCAA basketball (which doesn't have a 5/7 game series) and still have a decent season. NFL doesn't have series play. It has to be reduced, this is the way to reduce it. Yes, not all the best teams are going to win it, but cinderella is more fun.

Rider
10-13-2009, 02:46 PM

The biggest hurdle would be the Big 10 getting one more team to join the conference so that there are 12 teams thus getting a conference title game. There have been rumors of a 12th team joining the conference. Currently the names thrown around are Pitt and Cincinnati. Hell even Syracuse would be a good pick up.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
the problem with college football is there are so many teams they never paly everyone. All the other divisions (Iaa, II and III ) have I think 16 team playoffs, but am not sure how its determined who goes, and it seems to work rather well.

Sadly a lot of this will come down to money and the fact that all the BCS teams get a prety fat pay day out of it.

Tom

tommymac
10-13-2009, 02:53 PM
The biggest hurdle would be the Big 10 getting one more team to join the conference so that there are 12 teams thus getting a conference title game. There have been rumors of a 12th team joining the conference. Currently the names thrown around are Pitt and Cincinnati. Hell even Syracuse would be a good pick up.

Notre dame would be the logical choice but they seem hapy being an independent.

the pac 10 could add a few of the WAC or Big Sky teams like utah or boise state to get to 12 teams.

Tom

Rider
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Notre dame would be the logical choice but they seem hapy being an independent.

the pac 10 could add a few of the WAC or Big Sky teams like utah or boise state to get to 12 teams.

Tom

ND is in the Big East in every other sport so that doesn't make sense really.

Yeah Utah and Boise St would be a good pick up for the Pac 10, Possibly even BYU.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 03:06 PM
ND is in the Big East in every other sport so that doesn't make sense really.

Yeah Utah and Boise St would be a good pick up for the Pac 10, Possibly even BYU.

Big east has been a prety weak conference for football though. I think schools can be in diffent conferences for different sports. St Johns may be a big east basketball team but their football team would be decimated even by the doormat teams of the big east.

Tom

Rider
10-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Big east has been a prety weak conference for football though. I think schools can be in diffent conferences for different sports. St Johns may be a big east basketball team but their football team would be decimated even by the doormat teams of the big east.

Tom

Agreed the Big east is in shambles right now with the mass exodus of BC, UM, and VT going to the ACC. They picked up UCONN but they are hardly a threat to win the Big East although they came close 2 years ago and USF seems to be doing real well for a relatively new program.

z06boy
10-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Agreed...I don't really like it but it's better than it was before the BCS and it's all we've got for now.

Playoff of some type FTW !! :rockwoot:

tommymac
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I guess one of the good things about it was it helped me kill time at work today :lol:

Tom

z06boy
10-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Oh yeah and ND would not be eligible unless they join a conference...play in the conference championship game and win it just like most anyone else...fvck them. :Gas Man:

tommymac
10-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah and ND would not be eligible unless they join a conference...play in the conference championship game and win it just like most anyone else...fvck them. :Gas Man:

Well you have to be good to play in the championship game for starters :lol:

yes I hate Notre Dame and hope my boys from SC lay another ass whoopin on them this year.

Tom

z06boy
10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Well yo uhave to be good to play in the championship game for starters :lol:

yes I hate Notre Dame and hope my boys from SC lay another ass whoopin on them this year.

Tom

True so if ND continues to refuse to join a conference they can watch the National Championship game from the sidelines even if they go undefeated. :lol: :idk:

HokieDNA01
10-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Come on #4 team!!! Have to say that have pleasantly surprised me this year. Too bad they didn't get their act together verse Alabama earlier in the season.

z06boy
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Come on #4 team!!! Have to say that have pleasantly surprised me this year. Too bad they didn't get their act together verse Alabama earlier in the season.

I hope they continue to do well also.

tommymac
10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
I hope they continue to do well also.

I have to root against them so USC can move up hopefully. If texas looses to oklahoma and fla or ala slips up its wide open.
Tom

thunderex
10-22-2009, 08:55 AM
I have to root against them so USC can move up hopefully. If texas looses to oklahoma and fla or ala slips up its wide open.
Tom
Texas is sitting pretty right now if they can take care of business. There are a couple dangerous games left on the schedule but I think this team is about to really take off. If the offense starts to click then Texas is very stout. The D is awesome this year.

tommymac
10-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Texas is sitting pretty right now if they can take care of business. There are a couple dangerous games left on the schedule but I think this team is about to really take off. If the offense starts to click then Texas is very stout. The D is awesome this year.

Hate to say it but I think youre right. texas or whoever winds up at # 3 before the conference championships will play in the title game. I doubt they would have a fla vs ala rematch and if they do thats 2 yrs in a row texas gets shafted. USC could sneak in if texas slips and they beat orgon and arizona since theyre both ranked. That will propell them over boise state I think, although Iowa is quietly sneaking up there. granted they just bareley beat a few bad teams but beat 3 ranked teams by double digit margins.

Would be a challenge for USC in the rosebowl for a change. I think the current team needs to grow a bit but could be dangerous next year esp if they get barkley some stud recievers.

z06boy
10-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I seriously doubt we'd see a Florida/Bama rematch. If Texas wins out they will be in the big game but if they slip...it's wide open.