04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
no supersport

no superstock

superbike becomes 'liter bikes'

Daytona Superbike is.... read on-
http://superbikeplanet.com/2008/Apr/080417a.htm

Trip
04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
WTF are they thinking getting rid of the 600 superstock and supersport. I loved those classes....

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Apr/080417a.htm

Daytona Motorsports Group Debuts New Class Structures
by dean adams
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Roger Edmondson and the Daytona Motorsports Group debuted their current plans for the US Superbike series this afternoon at a meeting with many of the teams at Barber Motorsports Park.

Essentially, their plans are as follows: 600 Supersport and Superstock are "thanked for their service" and go the way of the dodo bird. The premier class becomes "Daytona Superbikes" which will include a very wide array of machinery from different manufacturers, from a BMW 1200 to a Japanese four-cylinder 600. Daytona Superbike will be horsepower limited and power to weight ratio limited--with the bikes being weighed with rider. Daytona Superbike will be regulated to improve parity and competition, including regular ECU exchanges.

The 2009 Superbike class, which many OEMs were concerned about being disbanded, returns with a new name--LiterBike--and essentially the 2009 Superbike rules that the teams worked on this year to formulate will apply. With a single tire rule and spec fuel as well. Each manufacturer will have to enter four riders in the class to be eligible.

The MotoST series will join the AMA Superbike series with three classes, keeping its spec tire, spec fuel and twin-cylinder rules in place.

Other additions will be the (Red Bull) Rookies Cup, rolling starts "where appropriate", fan activities and pre-race ceremonies.

Plans for a two-day event seem to have been shelved, but Friday will be little more than a half-day of practice sessions.

I saw Roger Edmondson for a moment in the museum this afternoon and he said that response from the teams was measured. His job now, he said, will be to take this to the promoters and get feedback from them.

Assuredly superficial yet semi-interesting note: The presentation which was shown to the teams used a modified 1990s-style AMA logo on it, with stars superimposed over the A's. It's a much better-looking logo than those that we saw after that.

More details as they emerge.

NeonspeedRT
04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Hmmm. It sounds interesting. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out. I like the fact it seems they want to attract new manafactures to the Daytona Superbikes class.

However, I have a feeling that this reallignment will end up pissing off some manafactures as well.

zortness
04-18-2008, 11:05 AM
I think it's a big mistake to get rid of the 600cc class. I was also hoping for a 450 singles class.

Since the "Daytona Superbike" class is based on horsepower and weight, rather than engine size, I wonder if manufacturers like Norton with their rotary engine might return?

OneSickPsycho
04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
I think it's a big mistake to get rid of the 600cc class. I was also hoping for a 450 singles class.

Since the "Daytona Superbike" class is based on horsepower and weight, rather than engine size, I wonder if manufacturers like Norton with their rotary engine might return?

450 Mono FTW!

Why would they? Wouldn't the limitations on HP and weight ratios defeat the whole purpose of the rotary engine?

zortness
04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
450 Mono FTW!

Why would they? Wouldn't the limitations on HP and weight ratios defeat the whole purpose of the rotary engine?

How would that defeat the purpose? Norton left the sport because of the "cc" regulations. If their only restrictions are HP and weight, they could come up with an engine with the right hp that probably weighed less than most of the bikes, so they'd have to add ballast to it.

Amber Lamps
04-18-2008, 11:40 AM
How would that defeat the purpose? Norton left the sport because of the "cc" regulations. If their only restrictions are HP and weight, they could come up with an engine with the right hp that probably weighed less than most of the bikes, so they'd have to add ballast to it.

ummm didn't Norton quit racing because they went out of business? BTW to me it sounds like the old Formula series they used to run when I club raced. Basically,run what you brung within certain restrictions on weight and hp. The rule I really don't like is the rider/bike weight combo. It kills the class for bigger guys and makes racing in it only suitable to midgets. Wait,or am I backwards and if a guys was fat enough he could race a 'Busa in that class?:idk:

zortness
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
The rule I really don't like is the rider/bike weight combo. It kills the class for bigger guys and makes racing in it only suitable to midgets. Wait,or am I backwards and if a guys was fat enough he could race a 'Busa in that class?:idk:
You're thinking of it backwards, it's a minimum weight, not a maximum weight, and power to weight ratio. So the big guy on a busa would be able to ride.

I remember reading something recently about a guy who bought up Norton and had a few guys produce some race bikes for him. Anyway, just a thought.

PiZdETS
04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Motorcyclist or Sportrider magazine had an article a couple months back on how the AMA racing series is badly managed, how fans at the races have a terrible time actually finding out when the different classes will be run, often with last minute changes at events. There's still so much talent and so much promise though- different managers, more coherent classes not run during the same heats would make a huge difference.

I got a crackpot idea for an AMA racing class a couple days ago at work- 1000 cc boosted, kind of a mini-motogp league.
I'd probably make the whole series run with spec superchargers to make it easier for riders/teams and the sanctioning body could easily limit power output this way. If you limit the size of the intake manifold and blower you can keep all the different bikes within a narrow power range, maybe just 20 or so more horsepower than the superbike class currently makes.
MotoGP only has so many open spots for riders and this would help teams without the money or know-how for a bespoke, all handmade prototype to compete in an elevated class of the fastest bikes.

Dunno, what do you guys and gals think?:idk:

smileyman
04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Take a peek at the supersport times and tell me that they aren't the best AMA class? Most competitive, most entertaining, and now history:panic:

Superstock had run it's course and was really just a GSXR Cup so I can see it going bye bye.

Plus side Liter bike rules will require each manufacturer to enter at least 4 riders so Josh Hayes gets his dream ride!

Wonder who will be the spec tire? Dunlop...Ptewiiie:zowned:

Amber Lamps
04-18-2008, 06:00 PM
You're thinking of it backwards, it's a minimum weight, not a maximum weight, and power to weight ratio. So the big guy on a busa would be able to ride.

I remember reading something recently about a guy who bought up Norton and had a few guys produce some race bikes for him. Anyway, just a thought.

Thanks! I realized my mistake after I hit send and let it go.

6doublefive321
04-18-2008, 09:08 PM
This is just another example of how fucked up the AMA is, and why no one in their right mind should pony up one red cent to be a member. They have been fucking with the classes for years, and this is by far the worst iteration. I hope they go broke and someone with a half a brain starts a new series. Seriously, if anyone is a member, don't renew. Hits to the pocketbook is the only thing that will open these dumbasses eyes.

JK
06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
something funny @ superbikeplanet

http://superbikeplanet.com/image/2008/wsbk/miller/7/SatUtah0075.htm

marko138
06-01-2008, 05:56 PM
something funny @ superbikeplanet

http://superbikeplanet.com/image/2008/wsbk/miller/7/SatUtah0075.htm
:lol:

Phenix_Rider
06-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Anyone else see even more moronic deaths in the future? Now there won't even be a "smaller" supersport class to hype. Every retard will have to get a liter.