View Full Version : Winterizing

racedoll
10-13-2009, 09:27 PM
This is more for the northerners that can't or don't ride in the winter.

What do you do, if anything, to winterize your bike?

And is there a certain day you do this or call it a "season"? My friend winterizes his the day after Thanksgiving.

RedRider2k2
10-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Fuel stabilizer, Lube everything, spray anything that could rust with PAM, change the oil if it has not been done in the recently, Plug the exhaust and remove the seat, (Rodents...Slim chance but still.) Record the mileage and remove the battery. Push them up close to the wall of my shed and cover them up.

Now with addition of a liquid cooled bike I tested the coolant strength too. Dont want any freezing.

It usually takes place somewhere around Halloween but can go into Mid November depending on the weather.

tached1000rr
10-13-2009, 10:01 PM
N/A:lala:

racedoll
10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
N/A:lala:

:gofurslf:

tached1000rr
10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
come south grasshopper

racedoll
10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm working on it.

wildchild
10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
i leave it stored as short of time as possible. i put fuel stabil in it and change oil. cover it lightly, and wait for the next season.

CasterTroy
10-14-2009, 02:37 PM
come south grasshopper

NOOOOOOO we have enough friggin Ohio plates tearing up our roads as it is :nee:

tommymac
10-14-2009, 02:58 PM
ususlay the stabilizer if its going to be down for a while, more than 6 weeks take out the battery and put it on a tender, with my own garage now I can leave it in the bike. Put it on the center stand and maybe this year throw a cover on it.

Tom

AquaPython
10-14-2009, 03:06 PM
what i tend to do, more often than not, is live in south florida.

CrazyKell
10-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Change it back to coolant.
Fuel Stabilizer.
Oil Change.

All of this is done by my mechanic which is also where I store my bike. ;)

pauldun170
10-14-2009, 03:22 PM
I've been slacking lately

1. Fill up tank and add stabil, go for the last short ride of season. The top off tank with gas.

2. While the bike is warm...change the oil (cheapo dino is fino if you plan on changing it again at the begining of the season)
3. Coolant should be changed every 2 years so if need be change it
4. Battery out and on tender
5. Clean the chain if you want and grease it up
6. Toss the cover on

derf
10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Make sure the coolant is really still coolant, keep the tank topped off with fresh gas, ride it at least once a week.

racedoll
10-14-2009, 09:08 PM

Fine. I'll find some NC plates to throw on it, but if I get pulled over I'm blaming you!

tached1000rr
10-14-2009, 09:11 PM

but, but she's cute.....

CasterTroy
10-15-2009, 07:02 AM
but, but she's cute.....

well..there CAN be exceptions made :lol:

I have a few plates on the wall she can use

askmrjesus
10-15-2009, 08:48 AM
I don't have to do this anymore (my bikes stay warm and toasty over the winter :nee:) but for ultra cold storage:

1. Drain carbs (if you have carbs, otherwise no, cause you'll spend forever looking for the drain screw).

2. Fuel stabilizer/top off tank.

3. Fresh oil, overfilled as much as possible, (condensation in the cases leads to rusty bits, so I just "pickle" the bottom end in oil). You may want to leave yourself a note...

4. Get the tires off the concrete. If you don't have stands, park on plywood or thick cardboard. Tires and frozen concrete is not a happy combo.

5. Pull the battery, store it someplace warm with a tender on it.

6. Remove seat, place in closet. Foam and vinyl don't like prolonged freezing.

7. Plug exhaust (if you have mice).

8. Sit around and bitch until MotoGP comes back on.

JC

karl_1052
10-15-2009, 09:51 AM
I fill the tank and put stabalizer in it.
I put it at the front of the garage, just incase we have a nice sunny day that I can take it out in January.

z06boy
10-15-2009, 10:08 AM
but, but she's cute.....

:lol: Yeah we don't mind letting these types in.

I don't winterize since I ride most of the year.

Also since my garage is part of my walk-out basement and partially underground it never freezes in there.

If the garage doors are closed it never seems to drop below 50 plus it stays cooler in the summer than outside temps.

tached1000rr
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM

I don't winterize since I ride most of the year.

Also since my garage is part of my walk-out basement and partially underground it never freezes in there.

If the garage doors are closed it never seems to drop below 50 plus it stays cooler in the summer than outside temps.

My garage is the same way....

racedoll
10-15-2009, 11:41 AM
well..there CAN be exceptions made :lol:

I have a few plates on the wall she can use

How kind of ya'll to let me ride in your state.

Gas Man
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
1. Fill up tank and add stabil, go for the last short ride of season. The top off tank with gas.

you should add the stabil at the gas pump prior to filling the tank
2. While the bike is warm...change the oil (cheapo dino is fino if you plan on changing it again at the begining of the season)

Changing any oil is always best when the motor is warm. Also best after a drive not idling in the driveway

3. Coolant should be changed every 2 years so if need be change it
4. Battery out and on tender

Why pull? On a tender in the bike is suffiecent.

5. Clean the chain if you want and grease it up
6. Toss the cover on

replies in bold

I don't have to do this anymore (my bikes stay warm and toasty over the winter :nee:) but for ultra cold storage:

1. Drain carbs (if you have carbs, otherwise no, cause you'll spend forever looking for the drain screw).

2. Fuel stabilizer/top off tank.

3. Fresh oil, overfilled as much as possible, (condensation in the cases leads to rusty bits, so I just "pickle" the bottom end in oil). You may want to leave yourself a note...

4. Get the tires off the concrete. If you don't have stands, park on plywood or thick cardboard. Tires and frozen concrete is not a happy combo.

5. Pull the battery, store it someplace warm with a tender on it.

6. Remove seat, place in closet. Foam and vinyl don't like prolonged freezing.

7. Plug exhaust (if you have mice).

8. Sit around and bitch until MotoGP comes back on.

JC

I fill the tank and put stabalizer in it.
I put it at the front of the garage, just incase we have a nice sunny day that I can take it out in January.

Again...

always put in your gas additives at the gas station prior to filling tank. This ensures that as you fill the tank they are adequetly mixed.

Also, no reason to pull a battery if you are putting on a tender. The tender will keep any harm from happeneing to it.

askmrjesus
10-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Also, no reason to pull a battery if you are putting on a tender. The tender will keep any harm from happeneing to it.

Yes and no.

In general, batteries that are not subjected to extreme conditions tend to last longer. Batteries also do not like huge fluctuations in temperature, over long periods of time (Summer vs. Winter)

"Battery Tender" brand tenders, have an internal component that measures the ambient temp, and compensates accordingly (lower temps = higher charging rates and vice-versa). The temperature at which no compensation is required for a 12 volt battery, is 77 degrees (F).

JC

karl_1052
10-15-2009, 04:48 PM
always put in your gas additives at the gas station prior to filling tank. This ensures that as you fill the tank they are adequetly mixed.

That is what I did. Put in the stabil, then rode to the gas station(1km), then filled up.

Gas Man
10-15-2009, 05:16 PM
And people use other brands then battery tender?

Go karl. Next time try seafoam instead.

askmrjesus
10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
And people use other brands then battery tender?

Well, there are others brands out there, so I assume they do.

JC

racedoll
10-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Is it bad that I do nothing? I pull the bike in the garage after my day of riding, if it's nice I'll get it out again and if not it's there until spring. A couple of times over winter I open the garage door and start it. I do nothing else, Erik either.

I look at it as it's always ready to ride any time I want then... no fussing around with stuff.

tommymac
10-15-2009, 10:47 PM
It will be nice with the attatched garage now, figure it wont go below 50 in there so I can just leave the battery in the bike.

Tom

tached1000rr
10-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Is it bad that I do nothing? I pull the bike in the garage after my day of riding, if it's nice I'll get it out again and if not it's there until spring. A couple of times over winter I open the garage door and start it. I do nothing else, Erik either.

I look at it as it's always ready to ride any time I want then... no fussing around with stuff.

Depends on how OCD you are, it's worked for you all this time, no need to change your routine.

tommymac
10-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Depends on how OCD you are, it's worked for you all this time, no need to change your routine.

I have heard that just starting it and running it for a few minutes does no good and could even cause problems even though I am guilty of doing that a few times myself.

Tom

tached1000rr
10-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I have heard that just starting it and running it for a few minutes does no good and could even cause problems even though I am guilty of doing that a few times myself.

Tom

Yep it needs to get up to normal operating temps at least....

tommymac
10-15-2009, 10:54 PM

I think that and it just idling doesnt realy charge the battery.

Tom

racedoll
10-15-2009, 10:55 PM

I don't plan on changing what I do, just wanted to see what all everyone else does.

I let it get up to temp. I don't just start it and then shut it off.

tached1000rr
10-15-2009, 10:56 PM

Just suck it up, layer up, pucker up, and take it out for a 10 mile ride each weekend.:D

tommymac
10-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Just suck it up, layer up, pucker up, and take it out for a 10 mile ride each weekend.:D

thats what I used to try to do if the roads werent too bad

take it to work once or twice a month.

Tom

tached1000rr
10-15-2009, 10:58 PM
thats what I used to try to do if the roads werent too bad

take it to work once or twice a month.

Tom

At the very least it's what I do with mine....

askmrjesus
10-15-2009, 10:59 PM
I think that and it just idling doesnt realy charge the battery.

Tom

Most charging systems don't start throwing juice to the battery until you hit 2500-3000 RPM, so idling won't help your battery any.

Also, excessive idling will cause carbon build up, (even at operating temps), so no, you're not helping. :lol:

JC

racedoll
10-15-2009, 11:00 PM

I would if there has been no salt or cinders put down, but that happens a little quicker around here.

At the very least it's what I do with mine....

You are also what, 500 miles, south of me where it is much warmer... I'm not that far from the snow belt.

tached1000rr
10-15-2009, 11:01 PM
I would if there has been no salt or cinders put down, but that happens a little quicker around here.

You are also what, 500 miles, south of me where it is much warmer... I'm not that far from the snow belt.

That's YOUR fault

racedoll
10-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't say it's my FAULT, just my choice to live here. I can't really afford to pick up and leave right now with the way things are.

Particle Man
10-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I ride it.

If the roads are dry, it's out on the road.

Gas Man
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM

Tom

Actually the problem is that you're creating moisture issues. When you create that type of moist heat inside the bike's components like exhaust, the heads, cylinders, oil pan. Then as it cools it condenses. You are then not only adding moisture to the oil which works against it. You are also puttig moisture into areas of raw metal. Moisture plus raw metal does one thing. RUST. That is all bad.

You are always better to simply do a complete wash of the bike, oil service, put it on a battery tender, cover, and leave it till spring. There is NO gain by starting it. Why do it?

If you are honestly worried about the piston rings... fog the cyclinders or spray some wd40 thru each spark plug the day before starting it after hibernation.