View Full Version : Snowmobile Gear

julie j
10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I purchased a sled but I have no gear. Looking for suggestions on a modular helmet & beacon. I have been Googling all morning but for every positive review there is a negative. Is there a good snowmobile forum to do some research?

Cruzergirl
10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
:nothing:

'xcept... I miss my sled... :(

TommyHotWheel
10-16-2009, 04:51 PM
What kind of sled? Are you a coordinator? Do you have certain brands you like?

http://www.snogear.com/

http://www.upnorthsports.com/Sites/upnorth/snowmobile.html

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/cat_default.jsp;jsessionid=U3QZADTOBIU2DLA0WTVSM4V MDK0NCIV0?store=Main&catId=1&SR=sr2db43ms415mx9pi1ai2&_requestid=560079

julie j
10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Rmk 600. I am not a coordinator. I have never had snowmobile equipment so have no familiarity with brands. I do have snow clothing but need a helmet and beacon. Thanks for the links.

TommyHotWheel
10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Each manufacturer has its own line of clothing that matches the sleds, but that sall personal preference. There should be shops or outfitters near you to try stuff on and see it in person. I have never needed a beacon, so I really cant help ya there.

Particle Man
10-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Why modular, if I might ask?

I just picked up a plain black Arctic Cat helmet with a heated shield for under 100 bucks from my local dealer.

I also have a winter shield for my HJC CL-Maxx which is my bike helmet which works very well (modular helmet).

As for reviews... opinions are like a**holes...

julie j
10-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Why modular, if I might ask?

I just picked up a plain black Arctic Cat helmet with a heated shield for under 100 bucks from my local dealer.

I also have a winter shield for my HJC CL-Maxx which is my bike helmet which works very well (modular helmet).

As for reviews... opinions are like a**holes...

I was thinking modular so that I would not have to take it off to get a drink. At this point I think I am going to ride with my dirt helmet or my street just to get a feel for what is important to me. I have never ridden a snowmobile so I don't know what I am getting myself into. :lol:

Cruzergirl
10-19-2009, 11:46 AM
I've always been partial to Arctic Cat gear... ;)

CasterTroy
10-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I just picked up a plain black Arctic Cat helmet with a heated shield

Splain Lucy :idk: remember in the south we don't HAVE snowmobiles or the neat gear

You mean you have a heated shield? Friggin cool! That would rock on these cold/rainly days...how's that work?

wildchild
10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I use an HJC helmet. Reima jacket. whatever for bibs.

beacon? not too sure what you're looking for there.

Particle Man
10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
I've always been partial to Arctic Cat gear... ;)

me too :D

Splain Lucy :idk: remember in the south we don't HAVE snowmobiles or the neat gear

You mean you have a heated shield? Friggin cool! That would rock on these cold/rainly days...how's that work?

dude, this thing is the freakin' best (though not "approved for road use"). It's basically a heating element around the outside of the shield that warms it and removes frost and fogging.

It comes with all the wiring.

snobuny
10-20-2009, 08:47 PM
check out www.snowest.com (powder room is the ladies section) or www.ladiesride.com for information on snowmobiling.

Modular helmets let you drink but they are only DOT approved not snell because there have been failures with the hinge depending on the brand.

If you are not going with a dirt helmet/goggle combo get the heated shield and an extra cord. Trust me, you will need it. If you ride with your street helmet and it does not have a double shield you will have frost/fogging issues. Either goggles or heated sheild are the way to go.

I wear klim gear but its pricey (took me years to purchase the set). Reima, FXR, and all the sled manufactures make good gear. Coldwave has had some issues with seams comming apart so I would stay away from that brand.

Get yourself some really good boots! RUoutside, HMK and Klim all make really good boots. I also had some Trukka's but after a couple seasons my feet would get wet.

If you are going to ride the back country a shovel, probe and beacon plus a backpack to carry them are a must. Try true adventure gear (www.tagear.us) for these things. I use the tracker beacon and they just came out with a new model (you might be able to get an older model for cheaper). Always wear you beacon on your body....it does no good in your sled (yes people have done this so it bears repeating) I check the batteries every trip and turn it on for the whole trip so I don't forget. FXR makes a pullover with a built in beacon but it will only send. You should also be able to find an avalanch class in your area which is also a must.

A tek vest, chest protector, body armour is also a good idea if you are gonna be boondocking..........saved me a trip to the hospital when I took a handlebar to the chest hard, I will never ride without one.

I think you just missed the snowmobile show in Washington but check snowest. Each year the shows give you great deals on anything for sleds so look for you local one!

pm me if you need any more info......I am going to try to get to oregon for the ladies ride this year..........maybe you could go also! (they also have a ride in Washington that might work well for you)

julie j
10-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the info Snobuny. I will have to check out the sites you listed. We did make the expo and spent lots of money. :lol: We were able to attend an avalanche class although a would like to find a longer more intense one. We purchased Ortovox S1 beacons, and backpacks that have our shovels and probes. I know that my husband wants Klim gear and I am on the hunt for the best prices since he has no snow clothes. I at least have a snow jacket and bids that I can make do the first time or two. I will have to see how warm they really are. I would love to know more about the Washington ride!

TommyHotWheel
10-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Go old school...Carhart! I new a guy that spent a butt load of money on the newest, baddest and most accesorized sled of the season(Usually a new Mach 1 with all of the gadgets) who would only ever wear old carhart suits. Slid up on a $15,000 panty dropper in a ratty old brown set of bibs and hooded jacket...pure balls.

Apoc
10-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Bombardier Snowmobile modulars. Expensive, but far and away the best sled helmet on the market. And a few of them come in AC colors.