PDA

View Full Version : State Motorcycle Laws: Do you know yours?

neebelung
02-27-2008, 02:12 PM
From the AMA - clicky below and select your state:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/legisltn/laws.asp

dReWpY
02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
OHio
Lane Splitting Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

does this mean its not illegal?

neebelung
02-27-2008, 03:07 PM
OHio

:shrug: Good question.... (really good question actually).... Maybe fire off an email to the AMA and ask for clarification?

dReWpY
02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
i goto traffic court in the monrning, ill ask the judge .... after i get my case taken care of ....

neebelung
02-27-2008, 03:11 PM
i goto traffic court in the monrning, ill ask the judge .... after i get my case taken care of ....

:doh:

(good luck!)

Rider
02-27-2008, 03:15 PM
I know mine! :dthumb:

dReWpY
02-27-2008, 03:21 PM
Did you know? that it is illegal to go 79 in a 55 zone in OH, who knew

Rider
02-27-2008, 03:27 PM

I hear the OH cops are the worst... Speed traps all over the place. Is that true?

dReWpY
02-27-2008, 05:08 PM
yes and the judges are the worst

Mr Lefty
02-27-2008, 05:37 PM
OHio

not sure... I doubt it... as far as I know Cali is the only state that it's legal... then again... from what I was told (by a CHiP officer) that Lane splitting isn't allowed by the law... it's just not specifically prohibited by law... and since the biggest utlizers of the loop hole is CHiP... they don't change it.

personally I think it SHOULD be legal... but then again... can you imagine how many dumb asses would be trying to do a stoppie or wheelie while lane splitting? (suprised I've not seen it on youtube yet)

neebelung
02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
not sure... I doubt it... as far as I know Cali is the only state that it's legal... then again... from what I was told (by a CHiP officer) that Lane splitting isn't allowed by the law... it's just not specifically prohibited by law... and since the biggest utlizers of the loop hole is CHiP... they don't change it.

personally I think it SHOULD be legal... but then again... can you imagine how many dumb asses would be trying to do a stoppie or wheelie while lane splitting? (suprised I've not seen it on youtube yet)

I believe you're correct, but I think it IS actually legal (not just not illegal), because there's actually limits, i.e. when you lane-split, you can only travel a certain MPH above the flow of traffic (i.e., if everyone's stopped, you can't go flying through at 90 mph).

Texas tried to pass a law a couple years ago to make it legal there, but it didn't pass.

Mr Lefty
02-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I believe you're correct, but I think it IS actually legal (not just not illegal), because there's actually limits, i.e. when you lane-split, you can only travel a certain MPH above the flow of traffic (i.e., if everyone's stopped, you can't go flying through at 90 mph).

Texas tried to pass a law a couple years ago to make it legal there, but it didn't pass.

good call... like I said... just what I was told by the CHiP bike officer

neebelung
02-28-2008, 07:03 AM
I just realized there were too many i.e.'s in my post above. :dvrofl:

Mr Lefty
02-28-2008, 07:28 AM
I just realized there were too many i.e.'s in my post above. :dvrofl:

:lol: I didn't even notice...

Cutty72
02-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Rules schmooles

dReWpY
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
i know i paid more in court costs then i did in actual fines

Cutty72
02-28-2008, 12:35 PM

That sux... mine got refunded when i got let off...

dReWpY
02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
i could of fought it but the court date was during my spring break and its not that important to me, the thing that sux is the 2 points, i had a clean record until then

t-homo
02-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I just checked California's lane splitting and it says not referenced. So I guess Missouri and Ohio can do it, too.

Mrs. Colleen
02-28-2008, 08:10 PM
OHio

Says the same thing for CA. :idk:

Passenger Seat - Required if carrying a passenger
:lol:The mental picture makes me laugh. :lol:

OneSickPsycho
03-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Actually I did! I got that same ticket once... Coming out of Wellsville on OH-7... towing a jet ski... fucker passed me oncoming and clocked me... Up until that point I didn't know they could do that....

I hear the OH cops are the worst... Speed traps all over the place. Is that true?

Ohio is one gigantic speed trap, but in my experience the cops are cool...

Well dickhead, what's the verdict? Did you ask about lane-splitting?

Full Throttle
03-27-2008, 01:44 AM
I just paid my ticket the other day i was going 86 in a 55 on my bike... i would of tried to run but i had no where to go... there wernt any roads to turn off just driveways. anyways the cop gave me a brake and dropped the speed to 70 in a 55 which saved me my license. anyways that was the first time i realized they could clock you going head on as well... i guess it clocks how fast you are going then automatically subtracts the speed that the cop is traveling to get your accurate speed... thats all i can think of... probably wrong but i dont care. anyways the ticket was 100 and im friends with the probate judge so i only paid 50...

lauralynne
03-27-2008, 01:54 AM

bzzzt. It's not legal. It's just not illegal. I've done a lot of research on lane splitting in trying to get it legal up here in WA. I've even testified in order to try to get our bill passed. the situation in which you won't be pulled over for lane sharing in CA are completely up to the officer witnessing you. If they've got a bee in their collar, they'll pull you over and tell you that you were going to fast or whatever. But there are no laws on the books regarding lane splitting.

neebelung
03-27-2008, 07:47 AM
bzzzt. It's not legal. It's just not illegal. I've done a lot of research on lane splitting in trying to get it legal up here in WA. I've even testified in order to try to get our bill passed. the situation in which you won't be pulled over for lane sharing in CA are completely up to the officer witnessing you. If they've got a bee in their collar, they'll pull you over and tell you that you were going to fast or whatever. But there are no laws on the books regarding lane splitting.

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... thanks for the clarification. :dthumb:

Dagnabbit, I'm all for not having an excess of laws on the books, but when so much is left up to the discretion of the cop, as you said, if he's got a bee in his collar... :shrug:

z06boy
03-27-2008, 09:42 AM
North Carolina state motorcycle laws...humm...didn't know this. :panic:

Muffler:

“Muffler or other exhaust system of the type installed at the time of manufacture, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise; muffler cut-out prohibited. (NC General Statutes, Section 20-128)”

smileyman
03-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Arkansas is backwards regardless. Just don't get caught.

azoomm
03-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Look at that... they're wrong about something LOL

Turn Signals Required if model year 1960 or newer.

WRONG - lit equipment is not required - though if you have one they must all function. I've passed every tech inspection and haven't ever had signals on my 2002 998. Must signal in some method - I use hand signals.

Mr Lefty
03-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Look at that... they're wrong about something LOL

Turn Signals Required if model year 1960 or newer.

WRONG - lit equipment is not required - though if you have one they must all function. I've passed every tech inspection and haven't ever had signals on my 2002 998. Must signal in some method - I use hand signals.

I think in many cases they take what's blank from the car side... cause in oregon

neither mirrors or signals are required... actually you don't even need break lights (tail lights yes) you better use hand signals for every move though... and turn your head.

Gas Man
03-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't think my bike will pass the sound laws!!! :lol:

Mr Lefty
03-27-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't think my bike will pass the sound laws!!! :lol:

:lol: or emissions

Gas Man
03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
oops!!

:lol:

t-homo
03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
oops!!

:lol:

you sound so sorry.

101lifts2
05-25-2009, 10:01 PM
I just paid my ticket the other day i was going 86 in a 55 on my bike... i would of tried to run but .......

But you realized you have a Hyosung 250 and figured the cruiser could catch up? Good call. LOL