View Full Version : Weight lifters...

Triple
10-22-2009, 12:46 PM

karl_1052
10-22-2009, 12:52 PM
What's the deal with this stuff?

http://www.nitricoxidemiracle.com/?lp=3

Any article that has a buy now option should not be believed.

LeeNetworX
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Beefcake!!!!

http://static.open.salon.com/files/cartman_beefcake1219035580.jpg

Particle Man
10-22-2009, 12:55 PM
^ hahahahahahahahahahaha

jtemple
10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
1) Diet
2) Exercise

There is no magic pill. There are no shortcuts.

Tmall
10-22-2009, 04:22 PM
I've tried No Xplode. It gets your blood pumping and gives you alot of energy. Supposedly it opens your capilarries and veins? I get red and itchy and then am a ball of energy any time I've tried it.

Switch
10-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I took Nitrix for a while and it made a difference. More blood got to my muscles, and other places.

JoJoYZF
10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
I've tried No Xplode. It gets your blood pumping and gives you alot of energy. Supposedly it opens your capilarries and veins? I get red and itchy and then am a ball of energy any time I've tried it.

I was using that when I was lifting and will be starting it again in about 2 weeks when I start lifting again. I like it a lot.

TYEster
10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Just another fancy gimmick of advertising.

The fact that they don't post the actual ingredients leave me highly skeptical that's it's really just the nutrients/minerals needed that boost NO blood levels. But they keep it secret and give out "free trials" so they can overprice it later once it hits retailers.

No Worries
10-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Niacin, Vitamin B3, seems to do the same thing. "Niacin causes your capillaries (small blood vessels) in your body to get wider (bigger)." From the following article: http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/niacin-flush.html

Antwanny
10-23-2009, 12:44 AM
Get a better diet and workout plan. whey protein is always good. And muscle milk after workouts when you cant eat properly.

zer0t
10-23-2009, 06:14 AM
I take the Gaspari N02 I think it is called super pump. Usually around 40 bucks.

TYEster
10-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Niacin, Vitamin B3, seems to do the same thing. "Niacin causes your capillaries (small blood vessels) in your body to get wider (bigger)." From the following article: http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/niacin-flush.html

Dont forget Arginine, Beta-alanine, L-Citrulline malate, and L-Tyrosine.

All for the "greatest feeling you can get in a gym"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzI-UQ-JsaQ

Rider
10-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Have you tried Creatine? Are you getting a good night sleep(8hrs)?
Are you alternating your routine? I wouldn't waste my money on these so called supplements. Stick to the ones proven to work.

pauldun170
10-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Past five or six weeks I've been on a very high protein, low fat / low carb diet. Lots of whey, soy, lean meats, and vegetables. And I'm not looking or feeling any different than I did when I ate like crap. Other guys at the gym are advancing while I feel like I'm going backwards; even when I put a day or two between lifting sessions, I feel weaker and more tired than the last time I was there.

Maybe one of these vein-expanding supplements will give me some energy.

1. Are you getting 6-8 hr sleep a day..every day?
2. Stop staring at other guys in the gym. At first...its a compliment, then its just creepy. If you are gonna look, start a conversation or just fuck off.
weirdo.
3. "Past five to six weeks". You have a competition coming up? You spacing out your muscle groups properly? You grouping them together right?

Rider
10-23-2009, 10:09 AM
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Age plays a role too.
One other question about your workouts, are you sure you are using correct form? Make sure you are getting a good negative on each rep. Don't ever bounce the weights. Slow controlled movement making sure you are isolating the muscle group you are working.

One example that I see very often are when guys are working their biceps. They are using too heavy of weights and they are swinging the weights with not just their arms but they are putting a lot of back into it. Bad form and you can injure your back doing that.

pauldun170
10-23-2009, 10:13 AM
No. I haven't tried anything, I'm completely green when it comes to supplements (unless you count protein shakes).

No, I still sleep like crap. I realize that this is part of the problem, but it still defies logic that better diet + vigorous exercise does not = at least some results.

I'm talking about guys who showed up at the gym after I was already there, were in worse shape than I was, do less in the gym than I do, and are now in better shape than I am. Very frustrating.

I've made a big change in my diet these past five to six weeks. Prior to that, if you recall from my weight loss thread, I was doing that Slimfast shit for six weeks or so. And prior to that, I was just eating pretty much whatever I wanted. What I don't understand is that I feel and perform identically regardless of what I consume.

As for spacing my muscle groups, I'm not too specific. I just break it down by upper and lower. Back, arms, shoulders, etc one session, legs and core the next, though I do some of the same warm-up exercises for both (always start with 35-45 minutes on the elliptical and a couple sets of pull-ups / dips... helps wake me up).

Your biggest obstacle is going to be the sleep deprivation. Without rest, your body is not going to recover properly.
Its not going to matter what you do. You may see small gains here and there but your first priority is to take care of your sleep issues.

Rider
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I'll be 29 in January.

What's an ideal testosterone level for someone my age? I had some lab work done in August and my level came back as 442 ng/dL. The reference range for "normal" on the paper I was given is 241-827.

I have no idea, I've never had mine checked.

Sean
10-23-2009, 10:49 AM
That's pretty normal. It varies. I've had mine checked and it registered 290 once, 350 once and 550 once.

Sean
10-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Your biggest obstacle is going to be the sleep deprivation. Without rest, your body is not going to recover properly.
Its not going to matter what you do. You may see small gains here and there but your first priority is to take care of your sleep issues.

Ditto

And take a week off every 5-6 weeks to recover.

Clay
10-23-2009, 12:05 PM
If sleep is your problem...melatonin is what you need to try.

Second, are you using a quality protein and how soon after your workout? Spend more and get an isolate whey, not plain 'ole concentrate. Then, you need to take it within an hour of your workout, 30 mins is optimal. After an hour though, you might as well have not worked out.

Next, stop avoiding carbs. Carbs and protein TOGETHER. Your body needs them both. Unless you're trying to really loose weight, don't avoid fats like the plague. Eat the good stuff especially. Almonds and peanuts should be a regular part of your diet.

Anything after the basics is just a little "bonus". Creatine and all the other stuff will help, but it won't take the place of the base foundation of simple hard work, good protein and rest.

Flexin
10-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I've used melatonin for several months. It helps me fall asleep faster than normal, but it does not improve the quality of my sleep. It also makes it more difficult to get up the following morning and I feel no more rested than if I hadn't taken it. I'll use it if I have nothing to do other than turn in early, which isn't often.

I take in most of my carbs through fruits and vegetables. I eat oatmeal for breakfast some days, but I've cut out most other grains. Very little bread, rice, pasta, etc. I eat a lot of beans and nuts, and I'll include corn or potatoes with some dinners.

Melatonin should be taken at the same time every night. It helps reset your body and after a while you will start to get tired at that time with out it.

How much are you taking?

James

TYEster
10-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Past five or six weeks I've been on a very high protein, low fat / low carb diet. Lots of whey, soy, lean meats, and vegetables. And I'm not looking or feeling any different than I did when I ate like crap. Other guys at the gym are advancing while I feel like I'm going backwards; even when I put a day or two between lifting sessions, I feel weaker and more tired than the last time I was there.

Maybe one of these vein-expanding supplements will give me some energy.

What exactly is your goal?

Even low fat or carbs can be detrimental to progress.

TYEster
10-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I'll be 29 in January.

What's an ideal testosterone level for someone my age? I had some lab work done in August and my level came back as 442 ng/dL. The reference range for "normal" on the paper I was given is 241-827.

That's about half way. It's decent but based on 101's recent test posts, you can alter those levels before you get tested so you can get a diff number each time.(an orgasm lowers testosterone for a few hours post, and thus saving up the spooge for a few days will raise it)

Homeslice
10-23-2009, 04:37 PM
You're micro-managing the details, especially with all these supplements that really should only be used by someone who is actually competing in some way.

Start eating and sleeping at the same times, and your body will get into a regular routine where you'll become tired at the same time every night. Plus, do 40-45 min of cardio 3-4 days a week.

TYEster
10-23-2009, 05:39 PM
You're micro-managing the details, especially with all these supplements that really should only be used by someone who is actually competing in some way.

Start eating and sleeping at the same times, and your body will get into a regular routine where you'll become tired at the same time every night. Plus, do 40-45 min of cardio 3-4 days a week.

Sometimes the smallest oversight, can mean the biggest advantage.

pauldun170
10-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Screw all this. Just work one bodypart

http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/matthias-schlitte-is-a-modern-day-popeye/

TYEster
10-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Screw all this. Just work one bodypart

http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/index.php/2009/10/matthias-schlitte-is-a-modern-day-popeye/

I can understand the purpose. But seriously wtf. I remember using more muscles than JUST my forearm in armwrestling, since that's mainly for grip.

LOL that just looks funny though.

askmrjesus
10-24-2009, 12:41 AM
since that's mainly for grip.

That guy must have the most frightened penis in all of Europe.

JC

zer0t
10-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Just ordered some ZMA, L-Arginine, and Force Factor NO supplements.

The ZMA is supposed to promote better sleep and boost testosterone, the others improve circulaion for more energy and endurance. I've never been interested in popping pills, but diet alone isn't working.

I don't believe that any supplements that claim to raise testosterone have actually been proven to work.

TYEster
10-24-2009, 09:38 AM
That guy must have the most frightened penis in all of Europe.

JC

Brings a whole new meaning to "super kung fu grip action"

Kaneman
10-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Stop worrying about supplements and start worrying about sleep.

Rider
10-26-2009, 09:11 AM
This and EAS 100% whey protein are the only 2 supplements I take and I've gained 15lbs of muscle in about a year. Not huge gains but it's enough for me.