PDA

View Full Version : Callow Youth

OTB
04-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Fact: The older we get, the longer it takes to heal.

Fact: The older we get, the slower become our reaction times.

Fact: The older we get, the more our vision degrades and our hand/eye coordination degrades.

Fact: The older I get, the more I have to lose, and the less willing I become to lose it.

I was driving to van home from work the other day in the unseasonably warm weather the east coast was having, glorying in just having the windows down, when three brave lads on sportbikes passed me on the Baltimore Beltway doing well over “the Ton” in heavy rush hour traffic, weaving back and forth between lanes of all but stalled vehicles, with closing speed differentials somewhere in the 70-90 mph range, by my well calibrated seat-of-the-pants-o-meter. Scary.

Two weeks ago, during a similar break in the spring drearyness, I was out tiptoeing the Bimota on through a stretch of sweepers not far from my home, the corners still dusted with a light coating of winter sand/cinder/salt crud from the last sleet storm. In the middle of a turn I was passed on the outside of the double yellow by a wobbling Gixxer mounted hero, clad in “racing” shorts and that always handy wife-beater t-shirt, tenny shoes and no gloves. I’m sure he thought he impressed me with his skills.

The older I get, the less I really care what other folks do, as long as it doesn’t have a negative effect on me and mine. I don’t even rant about the long-term negative effects that such idiocy has on the perception of the public in general. I know that along with the tweet-tweet of robins will soon come the wrecks and the in-depth reporting pieces by the local media on the scourge of high-speed racing bikes turned loose on a terrorized public, and the calls for “somebody” to “do something”.

I guess what warms the cockles of my hard little heart is when I pick up another cheap sportbike from some young guy who scared himself silly, or like the guy I just bought the Superhawk from with a scant 1500 miles on it; wife was out shopping and saw him making an arse of himself on the thing, came home and made him sell it; I got an almost new bike, he screwed himself.

There is always the “Darwin Effect”.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve pulled my share of boneheaded moves; like the time in my youth when I grew impatient with a bunch of Harley riders cruising up one of “my” favorite backroads at ten under the speedlimit whilst I sat back twiddling my thumbs (lots of opposing traffic and all double yellows) till I’d finally had enough and blitzed up the middle of their two-by-two formation. THAT pissed ‘em off and got them following me at well over the limit, shaking fists and hurling dire threats. Not something I’m proud of.

Or the time I ran my number-plated no-lights racebike up the interstate to do top-gear redline plugchops the night before the race to get the jetting right.

The state trooper wasn’t impressed with my explanation.

Ah, youth. If we’re lucky we survive it and maybe even learn from it.

OneSickPsycho
04-20-2008, 11:50 PM
I think we've been through this before, but would it be too weird if I just started calling you 'dad'...

Mr Lefty
04-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve pulled my share of boneheaded moves; like the time in my youth when I grew impatient with a bunch of Harley riders cruising up one of “my” favorite backroads at ten under the speedlimit whilst I sat back twiddling my thumbs (lots of opposing traffic and all double yellows) till I’d finally had enough and blitzed up the middle of their two-by-two formation. THAT pissed ‘em off and got them following me at well over the limit, shaking fists and hurling dire threats. Not something I’m proud of.

:lol: yeah I can see how they'd be pissed! hopefully you had a good tank full of gas! :lol:

marko138
04-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Ah yes. Stupid Yutes.

itgirl
04-21-2008, 09:47 AM
thank god for OTB to keep us all grounded. this man is the face of wisdom. :dthumb:

marko138
04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
And a good rider. You should ride with us some time.

itgirl
04-21-2008, 09:50 AM
i'd love to. i don't think my skill level matches you guys though. i'd hold you back.

marko138
04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
i'd love to. i don't think my skill level matches you guys though. i'd hold you back.
We're not terribly fast. Quick...maybe. We'll wait for you. I plan on coming down toward his place soon.

itgirl
04-21-2008, 09:53 AM
We're not terribly fast. Quick...maybe. We'll wait for you. I plan on coming down toward his place soon.

i'm pretty sure i live closer to OTB than i do you. where is he at?

marko138
04-21-2008, 09:55 AM
i'm pretty sure i live closer to OTB than i do you. where is he at?
You do. He's in Maryland. He's come up here a couple times....so I owe him...and there's better roads down there.

fnfalman
04-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I've done the Texas Tuning before - running the bikes to redline and hold it there for ten minutes. But I usually do it in the middle of the night on a well lit section of the freeway with zero traffic. :sorry:

NONE_too_SOFT
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
This post is 100% serious, in case some of you may have mistaken some of my posts as sarcastic in the past.

Sometimes i wonder why OTB even sticks around with all of us young douchenozzles listening to all our bullshit and jibber jabber, but i hope he knows how appreciated he really is around here.

Truely a rider i think we all aspire to be.

Mr Lefty
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
I thought the same thing NtS... especially when we were moving over... I was thinking... wonder if OTB and NoWorries will even bother migrating over...

glad to see they have...

6doublefive321
04-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Ah, yes. OTB, a rider that blogs, not a blogger that rides. Keep em coming.

ceo012384
04-24-2008, 06:21 PM
OTB any chance you'll come to the rally? I'd really like to meet you in person and ride with you. Great post as usual.

As an aside, have you done a lot of track riding? Just curious.

WARputer
04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Ah, youth. If we’re lucky we survive it and maybe even learn from it.

I totally understand your point.

OTB
04-24-2008, 09:08 PM
OTB any chance you'll come to the rally? I'd really like to meet you in person and ride with you. Great post as usual.

As an aside, have you done a lot of track riding? Just curious.

A. I am a teacher, and we don't end school till the following week, otherwise I'd love to come down and meet and ride with all the crazies. Besides, you're really not missing much; I'm an old, slow, grey fuddy-duddy who happens to live, eat ,sleep and breath bikes...thassall.

B. In my youth, I used to crash at a lot of club races....we didn't have trackdays and schools...the novices got to take a lap around the track with one of the licensed racers, we pulled off into the hot pit, and then got waved back out for a 20 minute practice. If you survived, you got to grid and race.

Crashed a few times, spent a lot of money and had a good time, learned a lot of what not to do. Never was very fast, and now that I'm more experienced, I'm too old to let it all hang out.

Call me a slow learner.

smileyman
04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
OTB is a wise rider. He presented 4 facts, all true. But there are ways to mitigate their effect.

With slowing reactions and physical abilities many "older riders" make up the difference with a little thing called anticipation. They anticipate and then their more practiced and reliable reactions, although slower, are usually correct and in the correct amounts to avoid trouble.

Yep we still take longer to heal no way around it, but being older you get the benefit of the doubt from doctors and way better insurance coverage. And willingness to let it all hang out is offset by knowing exactly what terms we are playing on and having the wisdom and self control to back it down when the chips are stacked the wrong way.

I still feel an older experienced rider has the better of the odds in most riding situations...At least in my experience I am still as fast as I once was, and have presence of mind to know my limits...

ceo012384
04-25-2008, 04:01 PM
A. I am a teacher, and we don't end school till the following week, otherwise I'd love to come down and meet and ride with all the crazies. Besides, you're really not missing much; I'm an old, slow, grey fuddy-duddy who happens to live, eat ,sleep and breath bikes...thassall.

B. In my youth, I used to crash at a lot of club races....we didn't have trackdays and schools...the novices got to take a lap around the track with one of the licensed racers, we pulled off into the hot pit, and then got waved back out for a 20 minute practice. If you survived, you got to grid and race.

Crashed a few times, spent a lot of money and had a good time, learned a lot of what not to do. Never was very fast, and now that I'm more experienced, I'm too old to let it all hang out.

Call me a slow learner.

That's unfortunate that you can't come. Maybe next year's rally.

That club racing history sounds pretty helter-skelter. Yikes!

I'm sure with your knowledge and experience even what you consider old and slow would still be a fun ride :dthumb:

OTB
04-28-2008, 08:27 PM
I still feel an older experienced rider has the better of the odds in most riding situations...At least in my experience I am still as fast as I once was, and have presence of mind to know my limits...

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was"

Toby Keith