PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7

Amber Lamps
10-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey, Alienware sent me a Windows 7 upgrade for free. Anyone using it and what do you think? Since my new computer came with Windows Vista Ultimate and a 4G ram, I'm wondering if I should just live with Vista now or step "up" to 7... What cha think?

Dave
10-29-2009, 08:27 PM
i heard theres been issues where it gets halfway through install and crashes. if you do it back up yo shits

racedoll
10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
This is why I still have XP Pro.

Trip
10-29-2009, 08:36 PM
7 is better than vista

LeeNetworX
10-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Been using Win7 for months on several machines without issue. I think it's far more stable than Vista was.

Amber Lamps
10-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Okay, so I drop my 1720 a few weeks ago and call my good Indian buddies at Dell customer care to repair it. They send me a box, I send it back, they fix it, I get it back-not perfect, I send it back again, they repair it again, I get it back-still not right, I go ballistic, I get brand new Alienware M17X:rockwoot:

This computer is the whip compared to my old Inspiron!!! Which I get to keep also...they didn't send a return box and they have nothing but an address and phone number for me...:wink: Btw they replaced my lcd screen and the first time it came back, it worked fine. When I got it back the second time after they replaced the graphics card, the left side of the screen is darker than the right side. A buddy thinks that I need a new screen again-does everyone agree?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/Photo0207.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/Photo0205-Copy.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/Photo0206.jpg

derf
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Tried 7 the other day, definatly a step above Vista, and comperable or better than XP. If I was still running Vista I would definately upgrade, with XP I would wait a while, at least until the first service pack is released.

Personally I am going to wait until I need a new computer in another year or 2. Although I have been looking at netbooks to replace my 5 year old laptop. If I do buy a new one it will certainly have 7, but other than that I have no real need or want to upgrade

pauldun170
10-29-2009, 09:01 PM
The only benefit I saw was in network transfers.
I'm on Vista Ultimate as well. I'll eventually get around to upgrading.

dubbs
10-29-2009, 09:05 PM
Been using 7 for about 6 months on a lot of different machines..

Few things i noticed..

- Much faster than XP and Vista on same hardware
- More stable then XP and Vista
- 99% of software installed without issue
- Love the new features, quick launch bar and network and indexing
- Did I say fast?

Amber Lamps
10-29-2009, 09:08 PM
I guess I forgot how to post a thread....:lol:

Amber Lamps
10-29-2009, 09:09 PM
i heard theres been issues where it gets halfway through install and crashes. if you do it back up yo shits

New computer...:idk:

Amber Lamps
10-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Been using 7 for about 6 months on a lot of different machines..

Few things i noticed..

- Much faster than XP and Vista on same hardware
- More stable then XP and Vista
- 99% of software installed without issue
- Love the new features, quick launch bar and network and indexing
- Did I say fast?

Cool thanks!!! I mean my new laptop seems super fast now because I went from 2G to 4G, 2 GHz to 2.8 GHz and from G to N but who knows? Not to mention that it doesn't have TONS of programs and crap on it .....yet.:lol:

I'm a gonna do it!!!:rockwoot:

Particle Man
10-29-2009, 09:13 PM
that backlit keyboard is badass

Amber Lamps
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM

Oh yea!!! I opened the box and was like WHAT THE FUCK!!!!:rockwoot: The only negative is this motherfucker weighs a ton!!!!:lol::lol:

Particle Man
10-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Oh yea!!! I opened the box and was like WHAT THE FUCK!!!!:rockwoot: The only negative is this motherfucker weighs a ton!!!!:lol::lol:

so it doubles as a weapon.

bonus.

njchopper87
10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Bastard.. I want a free laptop! :( That's awesome though, it must have been quite a surprise.

Amber Lamps
10-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Bastard.. I want a free laptop! :( That's awesome though, it must have been quite a surprise.

It was fucking crazy and AWESOME!!! I knew they were sending another laptop and that they don't make the 1720 anymore but I figured I'd get a 1750 or at best a Studio 17 but this is cool as hell! People snickered when I bought the "total protection" package from Dell...well who's laughing now?!?! Oh and for the record, this is the second laptop Dell has sent me. I broke the first one within the first year!:lol:

Dave
10-29-2009, 09:42 PM

im seriously jealous of it. seriously

pauldun170
10-29-2009, 09:45 PM
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/Photo0207.jpg

I see you got that tissue box at the ready :lol:

Rangerscott
10-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Not trying to fubar this thread and dont want a big debate.

I got Win7 pro "upgrade" for my XP pro MOcheen. Yes I know Win7 doesnt stack onto XP and you have to do a "custom" install from the upgrade disc. Which is pretty much a full install. Now the question is, does it just ask for my XP pro key, then install Win7?

Dave
10-29-2009, 09:59 PM
whats up with that carpet?

Rangerscott
10-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats old school shag

Amber Lamps
10-30-2009, 01:03 AM
I see you got that tissue box at the ready :lol:

Yea baby! You gotta be prepared!:lol:

Amber Lamps
10-30-2009, 01:06 AM

It's a "flokati" rug I got in Crete. They're made on this stupid island there from special fucking sheep or some shit...:lol: I'm close to tossing it but it just about the last thing I have left from my "world tour".:lol::lol:

Rider
10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
Clean up that fucking mess. :lol

Amber Lamps
10-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Clean up that fucking mess. :lol

Right! I almost didn't post that pic! Yea, we sit there with our laptops and snack watching tv.:lol:

pauldun170
10-30-2009, 10:47 AM

That's what he said and that's why the tissue box is is ready top go

Cutty72
10-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I'm pissed. My old computer crashed, so I was all set up to get a new Sony Viao with Win 7. Had it on hold while I was waiting for my rations card.
Next day when I got my rations card, they had sold the damn thing! So I'm stuck with a toshiba with Vista... grrr.

Dave
10-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I'm pissed. My old computer crashed, so I was all set up to get a new Sony Viao with Win 7. Had it on hold while I was waiting for my rations card.
Next day when I got my rations card, they had sold the damn thing! So I'm stuck with a toshiba with Vista... grrr.

rations card?

Papa_Complex
10-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Not trying to fubar this thread and dont want a big debate.

I got Win7 pro "upgrade" for my XP pro MOcheen. Yes I know Win7 doesnt stack onto XP and you have to do a "custom" install from the upgrade disc. Which is pretty much a full install. Now the question is, does it just ask for my XP pro key, then install Win7?

The Home Premium upgrade disk that I got for my niece wouldn't do a clean install and wouldn't upgrade form XP. I had to install Vista and then upgrade. It doesn't ask for the key, it actually wants to run from within the O/S. At that point the average home user would have been screwed.

The Win7 Pro distribution disk that I use here at work has upgrade installation disabled.

I find 7 to be faster and more reliable than Vista with my software, right out of the blocks. It isn't as fast as my typical XP installations though. Still, it makes good use of the hardware and I need to learn it for support purposes, so I'm using it.

Amber Lamps
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
rations card?

I think they are giving those guys BAQ/separate rations on a debit style card now.:idk:

Cutty72
10-30-2009, 05:18 PM
rations card?

I think they are giving those guys BAQ/separate rations on a debit style card now.:idk:

Not quite that high tech yet.
Still just a paper card.

Dave, all overseas bases are different in what they limit, but they have specific items that soldiers can only buy a certain limit of per month, and they keep track of it on the rations card.
Germany-Hohenfels they limited us on smokes, booze, and coffee
Kosovo-Bondsteel they limit us on smokes, booze, and electronics over 150 euro...

I think the reasoning is so we aren't buying stuff we have easy access to and either reselling it out on the economy, or giving it away to the local nationals.

Dave
10-30-2009, 06:00 PM
ahh gotcha, my only overseas time was deployed and they didnt give a fuck what we bought :lol: well, they cared more on the second tour. really missed the days where you could buy half of iraq for five bucks

Antwanny
10-30-2009, 09:34 PM
owns

Amber Lamps
10-31-2009, 02:10 AM
Not quite that high tech yet.
Still just a paper card.

Dave, all overseas bases are different in what they limit, but they have specific items that soldiers can only buy a certain limit of per month, and they keep track of it on the rations card.
Germany-Hohenfels they limited us on smokes, booze, and coffee
Kosovo-Bondsteel they limit us on smokes, booze, and electronics over 150 euro...

I think the reasoning is so we aren't buying stuff we have easy access to and either reselling it out on the economy, or giving it away to the local nationals.

Yea we had that but you threw me because it was concerning hard goods.:lol:

Rangerscott
10-31-2009, 02:13 AM
Keep getting error code 0x80070570. I'm installing 64bit win7 pro. I'm doing custom install so it formats my harddrive.

I've googled the code and the only somewhat fix I've found is the guy said his ram was bad. Well I know my ram is good and I've tried a different brand. I also reset all speeds to stock.

This problem existed even during the beta release. Any help would be appreciated.

Rangerscott
10-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Got my 64 bit Win7 "upgrade" to fully install from XP pro 32 bit. Yippie!

pauldun170
11-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Got my 64 bit Win7 "upgrade" to fully install from XP pro 32 bit. Yippie!

You mean format drive and install fresh copy of win7

Rangerscott
11-01-2009, 01:50 AM
You mean format drive and install fresh copy of win7

Yup. "Upgrade" disc can do a full instead for XP users.

zer0t
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I have it on one computer, it's way better than vista, no issues with it.

Papa_Complex
11-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Yup. "Upgrade" disc can do a full instead for XP users.

Interesting. It wouldn't let me do that, when I tried.

Rangerscott
11-01-2009, 09:55 PM
You have to boot from the disc. You have to no matter what if you're going from 32bit to 64bit since a 32bit OS wont open a 64bit file.

Rangerscott
11-02-2009, 12:22 AM
This is the method I used the second time on making the iso file from the student download by using the cmd prompt.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/30470-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l.html

Now if you're like me and you disconnected any extra HDD's just to keep them from getting fubar'd and started windows again before the upgrade, there is a good chance windows changed the letters of the drives still connected. You need to write down the letter than windows see's the HDD that you're installing onto and you cd-rom to get the cmd prompts entered in correctly. Not everyone's windows is installed on C: drive. Get it?

Papa_Complex
11-02-2009, 06:51 AM
You have to boot from the disc. You have to no matter what if you're going from 32bit to 64bit since a 32bit OS wont open a 64bit file.

I was attempting to install the 32 bit Win7 from 32 bit WinXP.

Rangerscott
11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Its an upgrade disc but you cant "upgrade" from XP. You have to click on custom install.

marko138
11-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Its an upgrade disc but you cant "upgrade" from XP. You have to click on custom install.
Sounds like a pain in the ass.

Papa_Complex
11-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Trust me, I get what you're saying. I've been in the industry for 20 years ;)

The copy that I had wouldn't do an upgrade install from within XP AND wouldn't do a custom install from DVD boot. I got it going, but had to Mickey Mouse the installation.

Rangerscott
11-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Its not a pain in the ass. "custom" just formats the drive and installs like a "full" disc. It does all the work.

It wouldnt format for me though. I clicked format and the mouse did the busy icon but it stopped after a few seconds. O well, it installed.

Rangerscott
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Anyone know where I can still get Win7 release candidate? I want to put it on my netbook for the time being since the linux on it is screwing up.

I could have sworn I downloaded it but I cant find the dam file. Anybody know the file name so I can search my PC better?

Demnoid and pirate bay are down.

Papa_Complex
11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
You can pull it off ISOHunt or mininova also. You'll still need a key though, and I believe that the RC keys went dead upon full release.

Rangerscott
11-02-2009, 09:08 PM
You can pull it off ISOHunt or mininova also. You'll still need a key though, and I believe that the RC keys went dead upon full release.

30 days is fine. I just want to see what it does on my netbook. I need the 32bit and my upgrade is 64bit.

I have one going from mininova. I'm not looking for pirated stuff. Just the iso.

LeeNetworX
11-03-2009, 06:59 AM
30 days is fine. I just want to see what it does on my netbook. I need the 32bit and my upgrade is 64bit.

I have one going from mininova. I'm not looking for pirated stuff. Just the iso.

You can rearm the 30-day count thrice for a total of 120 days eval.

From a command prompt:

sysprep /generalize
slmgr.vbs –rearm
rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows
slmgr /rearm

Rangerscott
11-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Just found out you cant install windows onto an external HDD. I never knew that. This sucks.

Sean
11-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Just got a new machine with 7. It's fast, but the constant permission issues are drivin me nuts.

Rangerscott
11-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Just got a new machine with 7. It's fast, but the constant permission issues are drivin me nuts.

When it ask there should be something there to click on. It brings up a menu and you just slide the icon all the way down to turn it off.

Sean
11-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I'm talking about importing files from my old xp pro machine. It keeps telling me I'm not the owner of the file and I have to change permissions.

Papa_Complex
11-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Go into the user options in Control Panel and reduce the level of security for User Account Control by a notch or two. That should do it. Vista only had on or off as options, by 7 gives you a sliding scale.