PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010

Curb
11-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I just got awarded my tickets to three matches for it next year in South Africa...I am so fucking stoked!!!! Just thought I'd share:D

shmike
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Congrats.

How far in advance will you find out what matches you'll see?

Trip
11-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Nice, that sounds like a nice trip.

Curb
11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Congrats.

How far in advance will you find out what matches you'll see?i already know the matches...just not the participants

Nice, that sounds like a nice trip.
i might need you to make me an African map...at least i'm trying here

Trip
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
i might need you to make me an African map...at least i'm trying here

:lol:

I don't think Africa would be that hard, it's most big countries.

Europe and Asia scare me

Curb
11-12-2009, 09:49 PM
i'm lookin into renting a bike for a day or so to just say that i road in Africa

tommymac
11-12-2009, 10:16 PM
i'm lookin into renting a bike for a day or so to just say that i road in Africa

Can you get me a few afroks while youre there ;)

Tom

Curb
11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Can you get me a few afroks while youre there ;)

Tom
you and your fucking snakes...

just go to the everglades...they're out there too

tommymac
11-12-2009, 10:30 PM
you and your fucking snakes...

just go to the everglades...they're out there too

Are there mambas in the everglades too?

Curb
11-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Are there mambas in the everglades too?
no, but there are no less than 4 venomous species out there...go have at it. kthanxbye.

tommymac
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
no, but there are no less than 4 venomous species out there...go have at it. kthanxbye.

Unless an alligator eats me first.

So are you actualy a soccer fan or just an excuse to travel and see some cool stuff.

Tom

Curb
11-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Unless an alligator eats me first.

So are you actualy a soccer fan or just an excuse to travel and see some cool stuff.

TomBoth...i could dribble a ball before i could ride a bike. my dad played semipro ball and soccer was a huge part of my life until i got to high school. this is a once in a life time opportunity and i am for sure going to take it

goof2
11-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Both...i could dribble a ball before i could ride a bike. my dad played semipro ball and soccer was a huge part of my life until i got to high school. this is a once in a life time opportunity and i am for sure going to take it

That should be awesome. Which matches are you going to? I would love to see the US team play but at the same time the atmosphere at a South Africa game would be incomparable. Let us know once you find out the teams.

tommymac
11-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Both...i could dribble a ball before i could ride a bike. my dad played semipro ball and soccer was a huge part of my life until i got to high school. this is a once in a life time opportunity and i am for sure going to take it

didnt know that, always thought you were just a football player (american football of course)

Curb
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
That should be awesome. Which matches are you going to? I would love to see the US team play but at the same time the atmosphere at a South Africa game would be incomparable. Let us know once you find out the teams.For sure, I already know what groups and matches I'm going to see. Its just that a few of the European teams haven't finished qualifying. once that happens i'm sure i'll know who i will be seeing.

didnt know that, always thought you were just a football player (american football of course)i played football of both varieties ;)

Curb
12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Well, the group draw is just about 11.5 hours away. I found out a couple of days ago who the top seeds of the groups were. I know for sure that I will see three of them and they are England, Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Spain and the Netherlands. The 8th team is South Africa, but I already know that I wont be seeing them as they are the top seed in Group A. But as far as the teams that I might be seeing, I couldn't be happier at the chance to see any one of those 7 teams...stay tuned.

Curb
12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
So here are the teams that I will be seeing...

The Netherlands v Denmark

Argentina v S. Korea

Spain v Switzerland

Not too shabby, if I do say so myself

CrazyKell
12-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Holy shit I'm so excited for you. That's absolutely amazing.

Spain will be awesome to see. Fabregas is my main man so tell him I said hi. :kiss:

Rider
12-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Manchester United. That is all.

(I don't know a thing about soccer but my Brit co workers are nuts about them.) :lol

CrazyKell
12-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Manchester United. That is all.

(I don't know a thing about soccer but my Brit co workers are nuts about them.) :lol

They suck!

Apoc
12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
They suck!

Arent you an arsenal fan?

Thats wrong on the same level that being a Montreal Canadians fan is wrong :lol:

CrazyKell
12-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Arent you an arsenal fan?

Thats wrong on the same level that being a Montreal Canadians fan is wrong :lol:

Gooner all the way baby! We're not doing too hot this year but I'd be proud to say I'm an Arsenal fan any day. :)

And being a Canadians fan? Well I will not speak to them. I will not sit at the same table as them. THEY are wrong.

Curb
12-04-2009, 10:09 PM
hey, don't be gaying up my thread talking aboot hockey!:nee:

silly canadians

Apoc
12-04-2009, 11:40 PM
the most exciting soccer game in the world is still worse than the most boring hockey games!

tommymac
12-05-2009, 08:20 AM
the most exciting soccer game in the world is still worse than the most boring hockey games!

SOOOOOOOOOOOO True:rockwoot:

Tom

Curb
12-06-2009, 01:01 AM
SOOOOOOOOOOOO True:rockwoot:

TomHey, who asked you sasquatch?

tommymac
12-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Hey, who asked you sasquatch?

Pot meet kettle :lol:

tom

goof2
01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Hey Curb, be careful when you are over there. You don't want to come home with a lifelong souvenir.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/07/worldcup.sex.workers/index.html

Bluestreak
01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Hey Curb, be careful when you are over there. You don't want to come home with a lifelong souvenir.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/07/worldcup.sex.workers/index.html

Damn you goof! I was just searching for this link. :lol:

Curb
01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to keep it in my pants...unless it is a hot Italian or Australian chick :dthumb:

Curb
02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
UPDATE!!! Just got word that I will be attending the US/Slovenia game. My friend and I put in for that and the US/England game but didn't get that one. At least I am hoping that a win will come easier vs. Slovenia.

oh and 4 more months!!!! :D

CrazyKell
02-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Seriously I am so jealous you're going to this, both for the travel AND for the games. :dthumb:

Curb
02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
don't worry, i will take plenty of pictures:D

tommymac
02-05-2010, 07:28 PM
I will go out and buy some paint so I can watch it dry :lol:

Curb
02-05-2010, 07:33 PM
I will go out and buy some paint so I can watch it dry :lol:

:blah: :blah: :blah:

tommymac
02-05-2010, 07:38 PM
:blah: :blah: :blah:

Gotta get my shots in when I can :)

Curb
02-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Gotta get my shots in when I can :)have fun driving in the snow tonight and tomorrow:nee:

goof2
02-06-2010, 11:17 AM
UPDATE!!! Just got word that I will be attending the US/Slovenia game. My friend and I put in for that and the US/England game but didn't get that one. At least I am hoping that a win will come easier vs. Slovenia.

oh and 4 more months!!!! :D

Nice. As long as the US doesn't repeat the debacle from the 98 cup it should be the US and England's group to loose.

Curb
06-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Bump...

Can't believe the time has finally come...I leave in 6 days for the World Cup. Everything is in place...got all my shots, paperwork, confirmations and everything else. I'll be spending my first 4 days and 3 nights in Kruger National Park on Safari. Thanks to Aquapython, I have an awesome camera to take with me and can't wait to take pictures. We will be getting back to Joberg as the US and England get ready to square off on the 12th at 8:30 local time. Then from there its nothing but one big party!!!:rockwoot:

Kaneman
06-01-2010, 08:35 PM
You go big dawg!!

goof2
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't know if you had seen it yet Curb but ESPN is reporting that England's captain Rio Ferdinand is going to miss the tournament due to a knee injury he got today in training.

Curb
06-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I did see that. That is a huge loss for England. We could actually win our group now.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I did see that. That is a huge loss for England. We could actually win our group now.

still top two advance, so theres no guarantee they wont have another shot at us.

Inferno
06-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Great result for the US today. IMO, England roster to roster, is one of the best teams in the world, so great job for the US.

On to Algeria and Slovinia

Inferno
06-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Yes, Rio Ferdinand is out, but when they have Peter Crouch and Sean Wright Phillips(among others) coming off the bench there are no excuses

I would have liked us to bring in Torres and Spector...it would have made things more interesting

Flexin
06-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Who ever came up with the idea for those horns needs one shoved up his/her ass.

James

z06boy
06-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Who ever came up with the idea for those horns needs one shoved up his/her ass.

James

I hate those things !!

NONE_too_SOFT
06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Those horns are great. Remind me of ricola commercials.

Flexin
06-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Those horns are great. Remind me of ricola commercials.

Yeah if you were watching the commercial on 10000 fucking tvs at the same time. Its a constant drone and makes me want to rip someones head off and then shove it up their ass.

I can see if you did it when the other team is about to score on you to try to screw them up but they go non stop.

I think the chanting and so on is much better.

James

Flexin
06-14-2010, 11:24 AM
I hate those things !!

They really stand on the tv at the fire station. Its so bad you can hear them talk. If we switch to the home theater speakers is a bit better but it still can drive you crazy.

James

z06boy
06-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Yeah if you were watching the commercial on 10000 fucking tvs at the same time. Its a constant drone and makes me want to rip someones head off and then shove it up their ass.

I can see if you did it when the other team is about to score on you to try to screw them up but they go non stop.

I think the chanting and so on is much better.

James

Yeah a 30 second or one minute...no biggie...but a couple of hours of that...good gawd !! :lol:

Agreed on the chanting and so on and when the other team is about to score as well.

Inferno
06-14-2010, 02:31 PM
yep, annoying but I got used to them.

Funny thing is, I have seen Chelsea play twice, and AC Milan once and the games were all chanting, then I went to a Club America and Chivas(Mexican teams) and it was all those damn horns lol

NONE_too_SOFT
06-14-2010, 02:43 PM
yep, annoying but I got used to them.

Funny thing is, I have seen Chelsea play twice, and AC Milan once and the games were all chanting, then I went to a Club America and Chivas(Mexican teams) and it was all those damn horns lol

the spanish speaking countries are very fond of the horns, you'll notice.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Italy is spanking Paraguay right now

Trip
06-14-2010, 04:02 PM
I forgot how much acting is apart of soccer. There should be a penalty for bad acting. A kick in the nuts punishment would do.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-14-2010, 04:06 PM
acting is a part of every sport with officials.

Trip
06-14-2010, 04:08 PM
acting is a part of every sport with officials.

yeah, but they suck at it in soccer and do it way more than football. Don't watch hockey or basketball enough to make an accurate judge.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
yeah, but they suck at it in soccer and do it way more than football. Don't watch hockey or basketball enough to make an accurate judge.

In soccer things are spread out and not a huge clustefuck, so its more obvious to see.

Plus no pads warrents a simple rule called "dangerous play" which is basically at the ref's discretion, but in the fifa rulebook is defined as doing things like slide tackling with the cleats facing up, slide tackling from behind (although this is acceptable if contact is made with the ball first), challening a ball higher than mid waist with your cleats (high kick), etc etc.

Basketball isnt a contact sport, so its pretty easy to tell what a foul is.

Hockey and football you wear pads and helmets to protect yourself.

Soccer is full contact, with a set of rules designed to minimize serious injury, which is officiated by typically 4 men. 2 on each sideline, a center official, and an official at midfield to manage substitutions.

So yea, i guess you could call it acting when a player exaggerates being tackled or pushed, but in reality its just using the rules of the game to try and get an advantage. The rules arent cut and dry like other sports, and soccer referees know this.

Trip
06-14-2010, 04:22 PM
In soccer things are spread out and not a huge clustefuck, so its more obvious to see.

Plus no pads warrents a simple rule called "dangerous play" which is basically at the ref's discretion, but in the fifa rulebook is defined as doing things like slide tackling with the cleats facing up, slide tackling from behind (although this is acceptable if contact is made with the ball first), challening a ball higher than mid waist with your cleats (high kick), etc etc.

Basketball isnt a contact sport, so its pretty easy to tell what a foul is.

Hockey and football you wear pads and helmets to protect yourself.

Soccer is full contact, with a set of rules designed to minimize serious injury, which is officiated by typically 4 men. 2 on each sideline, a center official, and an official at midfield to manage substitutions.

So yea, i guess you could call it acting when a player exaggerates being tackled or pushed, but in reality its just using the rules of the game to try and get an advantage. The rules arent cut and dry like other sports, and soccer referees know this.

You don't have to tell me shit about soccer. I played it through middle and high school. I also played Lacrosse. We didn't act nearly as much in lacrosse as we did in soccer.

shmike
06-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Bullshit.

It is acting and it has become more and more acceptable in soccer over the last decade or so and it sucks.

I'd guess that close to half the calls made in Professional soccer are from little or no contact.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-14-2010, 04:53 PM
You don't have to tell me shit about soccer. I played it through middle and high school. I also played Lacrosse. We didn't act nearly as much in lacrosse as we did in soccer.

Thats great, but so did i, and i've continued to play club after highschool, and just played yesterday. But conversely i've also refereed for 10 years, including regional club tournaments and semi-pro games.

and again, lacrosse, you carry sticks and wear pads, more similar to hockey than soccer.

Bullshit.

It is acting and it has become more and more acceptable in soccer over the last decade or so and it sucks.

I'd guess that close to half the calls made in Professional soccer are from little or no contact.

Its not "acceptable". Nobody commends somebody on a good dive. Players know when its a dive, referee's know when its a dive, and fans know when its a dive. But without time-outs and instant replays you put a lot of weight on somebodys shoulder to make the right call. Most of the "acting" calls made arent done in scoring positions. Sometimes its better to just stop play and get things going again, because otherwise the player that doesnt get the call is gonna get pissed and may actually end up hurting somebody. Referee's are very cautious to make calls like that around the penalty area, and almost every time you see the referee make a call INSIDE the 18 you'll see him consult a linesman for a second opinion if there is any chance of a second doubt.

They're supposed to manage the game. They cant let things get out of control, and if they only called the most serious offenses things WILL get out of control. Its that simple. They've also got a lot of leeway with the clock as far as injury time goes. If you just watched the italy game you'd notice that the referee didnt call the game until paraguay cleared the ball.

Trip
06-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Thats great, but so did i, and i've continued to play club after highschool, and just played yesterday. But conversely i've also refereed for 10 years, including regional club tournaments and semi-pro games.

and again, lacrosse, you carry sticks and wear pads, more similar to hockey than soccer.

Its not "acceptable". Nobody commends somebody on a good dive. Players know when its a dive, referee's know when its a dive, and fans know when its a dive. But without time-outs and instant replays you put a lot of weight on somebodys shoulder to make the right call. Most of the "acting" calls made arent done in scoring positions. Sometimes its better to just stop play and get things going again, because otherwise the player that doesnt get the call is gonna get pissed and may actually end up hurting somebody. Referee's are very cautious to make calls like that around the penalty area, and almost every time you see the referee make a call INSIDE the 18 you'll see him consult a linesman for a second opinion if there is any chance of a second doubt.

They're supposed to manage the game. They cant let things get out of control, and if they only called the most serious offenses things WILL get out of control. Its that simple. They've also got a lot of leeway with the clock as far as injury time goes. If you just watched the italy game you'd notice that the referee didnt call the game until paraguay cleared the ball.

It's more similar to soccer. Strategy and play with rules. You wear minimal pads. Much less than hockey.

It hasn't always been as much of an issue. Refs are just as much a part of this crap as the players. They need to let the shit just happen so these cocks stop doing this shit.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-14-2010, 07:55 PM
It's more similar to soccer. Strategy and play with rules. You wear minimal pads. Much less than hockey.

It hasn't always been as much of an issue. Refs are just as much a part of this crap as the players. They need to let the shit just happen so these cocks stop doing this shit.

that was my point though. You know first hand how pathetically shallow soccer players are, if they dont get their call they're likely to go for blood next time just to show the ref who's boss.

Example: zidane's last game of his professional career 4 years ago. Italy was giving him shit the entire game, he got pissy, and he layed some fucker out and pretty much lost france the trophy (yes, france would have won if zidane was taking his PK).

Curb
06-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey gang, So I got to see my first match yesterday, Holland v Denmark. It was a total experience, nothing that I had ever expierenced at a US sporting event. Today I am heading down to Durban to go and see Spain v Switzerland tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer up there. Its f'ing freezing down here, literally, its about 29* outside right now.

goof2
06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey gang, So I got to see my first match yesterday, Holland v Denmark. It was a total experience, nothing that I had ever expierenced at a US sporting event. Today I am heading down to Durban to go and see Spain v Switzerland tomorrow.

Hope everyone is enjoying summer up there. Its f'ing freezing down here, literally, its about 29* outside right now.

Have the vuvuzelas been terrible? They way the media up here is talking they would prefer to be attacked by a swarm of bees than deal with the bee sound from vuvuzelas.

Flexin
06-15-2010, 11:03 AM
On the news last night they were talking about how some want them banned from the cup. They also had a doctor talking about how it can and is damaging peoples hearing. He measured one a few inches from the horn and it was around 135 db. Thats fucking loud.

Some started selling ear plugs at the games.

James

NONE_too_SOFT
06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
lol i still love em. if you close your eyes they really do sound like a huge swarm of bees.

z06boy
06-15-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz88zMTm_bU&feature=related

Flexin
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
lol i still love em. if you close your eyes they really do sound like a huge swarm of bees.

They sound like a huge swarm of bees with my eyes open. LOL. I still hate the fucking sound. LOL. You can keep it.

James

NONE_too_SOFT
06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
nah im just messin around, they are getting pretty old. somebody needs to shoot the vendors selling those fucks...

The announcers are even getting pissed off by them.

Trip
06-15-2010, 03:44 PM
I want to shove that horn up south Africa's asshole.

Curb
06-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Have the vuvuzelas been terrible? They way the media up here is talking they would prefer to be attacked by a swarm of bees than deal with the bee sound from vuvuzelas.

They really aren't that bad in person. After a while you kind of tune them out

Kaneman
06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
I can't even watch a game on TV because of those horns, drives me fucking insane.

Trip
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
I can't even watch a game on TV because of those horns, drives me fucking insane.

No kidding I mute that shit.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Really, they're only a problem so long as somebodys there to complain about them. after 30 seconds they get drowned out.

Inferno
06-15-2010, 05:15 PM
I forgot how much acting is apart of soccer. There should be a penalty for bad acting. A kick in the nuts punishment would do.

I agree to some extent, but acting is a big part in most professional contact sports

Porkchop
06-16-2010, 12:06 PM
AND DOWN GOES SPAIN......:rockwoot:

NONE_too_SOFT
06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
AND DOWN GOES SPAIN......:rockwoot:

this is turning out to be a wild Cup.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-16-2010, 02:20 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2hqv1fs.jpg

goof2
06-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Uruguay just handed South Africa their ass 3-0. South Africa's goalkeeper got a red card and was sent off. The resulting penalty kick put Uruguay up 2-0. This could end up being the first World Cup in a long time where the host nation's team doesn't make it out of the group stage.

Sixxxxer
06-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I dunno how anyone can stand the Horns...I'd shank bitches

NONE_too_SOFT
06-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I dunno how anyone can stand the Horns...I'd shank bitches

you would sit down and enjoy it, bitiches would shank you.

dont underestimate futball fans.

Curb
06-18-2010, 03:00 AM
US/Slovenia in 7 hours!!!

Trip
06-18-2010, 08:11 AM
you would sit down and enjoy it, bitiches would shank you.

dont underestimate futball fans.

Don't underestimate gingers. Soulless bastards.

tommymac
06-18-2010, 08:12 AM
When do the riots start, thats what I want to see :lol:

Mudpuppy
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
i get daily updates from my coworkers who are all british... and in turn i give them a box of tea for july 4th - oh shit that is coming up i need to stock up.. they seem to like a good tea bagging.. of course according to them they didn't lose the war they got bored and went home because we are uncivilized.. to which i reply we would be more than glad to finish the war right now - a good blanket bombing with a grand finale of a nuke outta do it..

NONE_too_SOFT
06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Was watching the USA game up on the psych floor today, i was screaming louderthan the patients at how terrible the fucking US team was playing. Jesus christ have you ever heard of marking? or perhaps passing without stopping the ball for 3 seconds to let the other team mark your open players? and great save on that first goal, i'm pretty sure the first thing they teach in goalkeeper college is "actually try".

Still, if we can tie our way out of group play i'll be happy.

tommymac
06-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Was watching the USA game up on the psych floor today, i was screaming louderthan the patients at how terrible the fucking US team was playing. Jesus christ have you ever heard of marking? or perhaps passing without stopping the ball for 3 seconds to let the other team mark your open players? and great save on that first goal, i'm pretty sure the first thing they teach in goalkeeper college is "actually try".

Still, if we can tie our way out of group play i'll be happy.

better be careful you dont want them giving you some haldol and ativan :lol:

Inferno
06-18-2010, 03:50 PM
The US got screwed outta a third goal and two more points.

My question is, what is going on with England? They have all the talent, but no teamwork.

It's like "I'm Wayne Rooney, hi see me play, I am good just not for my national team" Same for Gerrard, Callegar, A Cole, J Terry...ect? Mabye because of rivals in the EPL?

NONE_too_SOFT
06-18-2010, 03:58 PM
The US got screwed outta a third goal and two more points.

My question is, what is going on with England? They have all the talent, but no teamwork.

It's like "I'm Wayne Rooney, hi see me play, I am good just not for my national team" Same for Gerrard, Callegar, A Cole, J Terry...ect? Mabye because of rivals in the EPL?

thats how every team is though. and these are all guys who have at one time or another played together anyways. its not like its all new to them.

and yea, they did get screwed out of a goal. but they also practically gave them a 2 goal lead with stupid fundamental mistakes. they played 80% of the game like they didnt deserve to be playing on a national level. i havent seen much from the US team thats actually impressed me so far. maybe i just have high expectations for such an awesome group of individuals (which is what they play like)

Inferno
06-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I am thinking this result is good for the US. We win against Algeria, we are into the second round with an England loss or tie with Slovenia.

BUT, Algeria might be tough. I dont know as England didnt play all that well and really dont deserve to move on.

Either way, the US needs to win

goof2
06-18-2010, 06:52 PM
US/Slovenia in 7 hours!!!

You were at the worst officiated game I have ever seen. In some respects it was a great game and one I would have wanted to attend, but the ref was absolutely terrible.

Obviously everyone is talking about that worse than useless ref stealing one goal that went in the back of the net. He also managed to steal another potential goal that would have made it 1-1 before the half with his yellow card on Findley for a bullshit handball in Slovinia's box that never happened. Oh yeah, as a bonus that same bullshit yellow card was Findley's second of the tournament meaning he can't play against Algeria. Those were just the two worst calls he made. He had a number of other terrible calls that aren't worth mentioning only because they didn't affect the game as much.

Yeah, the US played poorly for part of the game but they still evened out time of possession, doubled Slovenia on corner kicks and shots, almost quadrupled them on free kicks, and had 6 shots on goal to Slovenia's 4. As I said, the US played poorly for part of the game but they more than made up for it and got robbed by the ref.

goof2
06-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I am thinking this result is good for the US. We win against Algeria, we are into the second round with an England loss or tie with Slovenia.

BUT, Algeria might be tough. I dont know as England didnt play all that well and really dont deserve to move on.

Either way, the US needs to win

The US can still advance with a tie against Algeria, but it would be a pretty damn stupid to count on it.

Porkchop
06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
France and South Africa are now out...

Homeslice
06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
France and South Africa are now out...

lol @ the idiot French coach, did you see what he did?

Curb
06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
France and South Africa are now out...too bad for Bafana Bafana, I was really rooting for them. But I am so happy that the French are gone, they didn't belong there in the first place. This only leads me to believe that karma is a f'ing bitch in soccer, and it tells me that the US will win tomorrow!!!

Trip
06-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Nice goal in extra time. USA wins group C. The dirty brits are in too after beating slovenia.

Curb
06-23-2010, 01:17 PM
too bad for Bafana Bafana, I was really rooting for them. But I am so happy that the French are gone, they didn't belong there in the first place. This only leads me to believe that karma is a f'ing bitch in soccer, and it tells me that the US will win tomorrow!!!
Look at that, I guaranteed a vicotry and it actually happened...spooky.

Trip
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Look at that, I guaranteed a vicotry and it actually happened...spooky.

barely

They need to start feeding the refs to the wolves so there is some accountability of these fucks.

Inferno
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Awesome game

Here is the goal that saved American Soccer(Futbol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ4T39AbR3E

goof2
06-23-2010, 02:47 PM
barely

They need to start feeding the refs to the wolves so there is some accountability of these fucks.

Seriously. 2 goals removed, each by a different ref, in 2 games out of 3? Before the cup started I never would have believed the US's fate depended on the referees. Now I would be surprised if the US doesn't get reffed out of the tournament. I'm just really disappointed by the whole thing.:td:

EpyonXero
06-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Those Algerians were starting to piss me off, taking cheap shots at the US players and not even trying to win the game in the second half. They looked like they'd be happy with a 0-0 tie.

Curb
06-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Seriously. 2 goals removed, each by a different ref, in 2 games out of 3? Before the cup started I never would have believed the US's fate depended on the referees. Now I would be surprised if the US doesn't get reffed out of the tournament. I'm just really disappointed by the whole thing.:td:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. FIFA does not want the US to succeed let alone win their tournament. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory and that isn't who I am. But I have seen it so many times in the past how the refs have screwed us out of victories before. And let Ed Hocculi or Mike Carrey make a bogus call in the Super Bowl and not have to explain themselves and see how far they get from the stadium.

Trip
06-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. FIFA does not want the US to succeed let alone win their tournament. I know it sounds like a conspiracy theory and that isn't who I am. But I have seen it so many times in the past how the refs have screwed us out of victories before. And let Ed Hocculi or Mike Carrey make a bogus call in the Super Bowl and not have to explain themselves and see how far they get from the stadium.

Since you are a gator fan, you may remember this. There was a game up here in Knoxville with UT vs UF around the time Peyton manning was playing, may have been his final year. Florida caught a pass in overtime or as time was running out that won the game. The only problem was it probably shouldn't of been a catch, the guy dropped it immediately never really had possession. The ref called it a catch anyway. That shit caused hell up here, it was fucking hilarious to see the Vols exploded like that. Well the brilliant ref that made the call lives 20 miles from the stadium. That dude caught shit and had death threats on an hourly basis. They knew where he lived and they fucked with him regularly. I think he finally moved away from what I remember. His life was hell after that call though. That's what we need to do to these fucks. LOL

Trip
06-23-2010, 10:02 PM
It was Jesse Palmer to Jabar Gaffney in 2000 as the 4th quarter ended. So 3 years after Peyton.

Curb
06-24-2010, 08:38 AM
10 years ago...can barely remember what i did 10 minutes ago, lol

goof2
06-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Since you are a gator fan, you may remember this. There was a game up here in Knoxville with UT vs UF around the time Peyton manning was playing, may have been his final year. Florida caught a pass in overtime or as time was running out that won the game. The only problem was it probably shouldn't of been a catch, the guy dropped it immediately never really had possession. The ref called it a catch anyway. That shit caused hell up here, it was fucking hilarious to see the Vols exploded like that. Well the brilliant ref that made the call lives 20 miles from the stadium. That dude caught shit and had death threats on an hourly basis. They knew where he lived and they fucked with him regularly. I think he finally moved away from what I remember. His life was hell after that call though. That's what we need to do to these fucks. LOL

The ref from the US-Slovenia game is from Mali. I'm pretty sure he already lives in a pretty close approximation of hell.:lol:

Kaneman
06-25-2010, 11:36 AM

Baby Gorilla returns!!

goof2
06-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Baby Gorilla returns!!

I don't know, after watching both games, the two most controversial calls, and the other bad calls against the US I'm not so sure it isn't an "even paranoids have enemies" situation.

Inferno
06-25-2010, 11:13 PM
USA USA USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w&feature=topvideos

Porkchop
06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow... this is a sad sad game. :panic:

Inferno
06-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Bad result, the ball did not bounce for them at all in the Ghana game(Give Ghana Credit).

Post game, they were a superior team to Ghana, but I think the media pressure along with back to back games did them in...they looked gassed.

The bright side...they should have the same core group in the next go around with some bright new stars coming along...US soccer is coming along, slowly but surely

Brasil 2014 will be good for the USA USA USA

Curb
06-27-2010, 11:05 AM
USA USA USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbn3rOPmR9w&feature=topvideos
Great video!!! I am proud to call myself a US soccer supporter.

Bad result, the ball did not bounce for them at all in the Ghana game(Give Ghana Credit).

Post game, they were a superior team to Ghana, but I think the media pressure along with back to back games did them in...they looked gassed.

The bright side...they should have the same core group in the next go around with some bright new stars coming along...US soccer is coming along, slowly but surely

Brasil 2014 will be good for the USA USA USAWe are getting there. Lets not forget, we have the 2012 summer games in London first...a very similar tournament as the World Cup, I am planning on going over for there for that as well.

Inferno
06-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Yep, there are a bunch of international games coming up, along with the MLS allstar vs Manchester United, the finish of the MLS season, Inter Milan vs Man City in July at MT Bank Stadium in Baltimore(which I am going) Brasil vs USA in August, EPL/La Liga/Sira A start up soon, And qualifing for the WC Brasil 2014 starts next spring.

Trip
07-02-2010, 01:36 AM
huh, well what do you know, the english fucked up and termed it soccer

JOHANNESBURG – No matter how much the United States continues to emerge as a competitive World Cup nation, there is little doubt that the international perception of American soccer will always be doused with suspicion.
The roots of calling the beautiful game "soccer" started in a surprising place.
(Lars Baron/Getty Images)

Why? Because Americans don’t even call the sport by its proper name, of course. They don’t call it “football.” They call it “soccer.”

In the USA, football is that game that dominates winter Sundays and features Lycra, helmets and men so large they should come with their own zip code.

Elsewhere, football is football. The round-ball sport, the beautiful game, with its biggest prize to be handed out here on July 11.

Soccer? Pah, a silly American term created by a nation that has its own national obsession.

No country has been snootier toward the USA’s use of the term “soccer” than England. Before the Group C opener between the two sides in Rustenburg, the Sun newspaper even ran a spoof front page urging Fabio Capello’s side to win the “soccerball world series.”

But let’s take a halftime break here.

Coupled with their team’s humiliating exit from the World Cup it might be another rude awakening to the Brits that soccer isn’t an American term, it is actually an English one. And it isn’t some modern fad that shows disrespect to the world’s most popular sport, it dates back to the earliest days of the game’s professional history.

Indeed, until the last few decades, even Englishmen would routinely refer to their favorite pastime as soccer, just as often as they would say football.

Clive Toye, an Englishman who moved to the U.S. and became known as the father of modern American soccer, bringing Brazilian legend Pele to play for the New York Cosmos, takes up the story.

“Soccer is a synonym for football,” said Toye, who helped launch the North American Soccer League in the late 1960s. “And it has been used as such for more years than I can count. When I was a kid in England and grabbed a ball to go out and play … I would just as easily have said: ‘Let’s have a game of soccer’ as I would use the word ‘football’ instead. And I didn’t start it.”

To trace the origin of “soccer” we must go all the way back to 1863, and a meeting of gentlemen at a London pub, who congregated with the purpose of standardizing the rules of “football,” which was in its infant years as an organized sport but was growing rapidly in popularity.

Those assembled became the founding members of the Football Association (which still oversees the game in England to this day). And they decided to call their code Association Football, to differentiate it from Rugby Football.

A quirk of British culture is the permanent need to familiarize names by shortening them. “My friend Brian Johnston was Johnners,” said Toye. “They took the third, fourth and fifth letters of Association and called it SOCcer. So there you are.”

So forget that English condescension and carry on calling it soccer, safe in the knowledge that you’re more in tune with the roots of the sport than those mocking Brits.

Inferno
07-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Ehhhhh

One of the problems is we have the NFL, which like the EPL is a billion dollar business. I am sure there would be naming rights.

The origin of football is not because you play with a ball and your foot, but because back in the olden days the nobles in England would play their games on horesback. The peasants would play their games on foot...football. It had nothing too do with kicking a ball around.

Also NZ, Australia and South Africa call football soccer. So f*ck what that dude says.

There are plenty of remarks on soccer websites, youtubes and the like that bash us Americans being arrogant and not knowing the world. I am thinking "really?" "Are you serious?"

EpyonXero
07-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Looks like Brazil is going down!

karl_1052
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Looks like Brazil is going down!

On themselves like a curious teenager.

CrazyKell
07-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm really shocked at Brazil being out.

Crappy defending so they have no one to blame but themselves.

Crazy upsets this year.

La Roja ftw!

Particle Man
07-02-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm really shocked at Brazil being out.

Crappy defending so they have no one to blame but themselves.

It was almost like they got cocky...

Inferno
07-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I am not suprised about Brazil, with all that talent it seams like they show up and expect to win. Pele even bashed them before the game.

CrazyKell
07-05-2010, 11:42 AM
So pleased that Spain made it through!

Inferno
07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Spain or Germany? Who do you think?

I like both teams, awesome players on both sides...I am leaning towards Spain

CrazyKell
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
I can't predict against my own team. Obviously I want Spain to win.

I'm at work so watching online "secretly". So stressed and excited at the same time. :tremble:

Inferno
07-07-2010, 02:23 PM
If I heard correctly, Torres is on the bench

Porkchop
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Spain advances on header in the 74th.

Spain vs. Nederlands for the Cup.

CrazyKell
07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Sunday is going to be EPIC!!!!

Curb
07-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, its all over. Congrats to Spain...I was pulling for the Netherlands since day one. I am happy that a new team gets to add a star to their uni's. really didn't want to see one of the usual supsects win it. All in all my experience over there will never compare to any thing I've ever done in my life. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to go over and see it and I can't wait until London in 2012 and Brazil in 2014.

KSGregman
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
That game was a case study in why soccer will never be popular in this country. An hour and twenty minutes of absolute BOREDOM.

CrazyKell
07-11-2010, 10:08 PM
That game was a case study in why soccer will never be popular in this country. An hour and twenty minutes of absolute BOREDOM.

What's good enough for the rest of the world isn't good enough for one country? Who gives a shit whether Americans like it or not. Don't like it? Don't watch. :shrug:

Hydrant
07-11-2010, 10:17 PM

This

I'll try to watch anything I can and expand my pretty short horizons. But you know its bad when I'll turn off the finals of World Cup to watch either the PGA or Tour de France and be more excited.

KSGregman
07-11-2010, 10:34 PM
What's good enough for the rest of the world isn't good enough for one country? Who gives a shit whether Americans like it or not. Don't like it? Don't watch. :shrug:

Give your panties a good pull there, hot rod....You seem a little wedged up. I thought maybe your little hiatus would give you time to get back on your meds. Apparently I was wrong. :lmao:

It's a boring game....there is no way to argue otherwise. All that hype for a zero zero snooze fest after regulation time and 3/4 of extra time?! PUH LEASE.

Trip
07-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Give your panties a good pull there, hot rod....You seem a little wedged up. I thought maybe your little hiatus would give you time to get back on your meds. Apparently I was wrong. :lmao:

It's a boring game....there is no way to argue otherwise. All that hype for a zero zero snooze fest after regulation time and 3/4 of extra time?! PUH LEASE.

She's Canadian, no one cares what they think anyway. :lol:

EpyonXero
07-12-2010, 07:28 AM
That game was horrible. No scoring and about a hundred yellow cards on bullshit flops, mostly by Spain. Im glad the World Cup is over because I couldnt stand seeing another grown man fall to the ground and writhe around in pain because someone stepped on his toe.

karl_1052
07-12-2010, 08:07 AM

The game was terrible because of the terrible officiating. It seems the ref was paid very well from a spanish sponsor. Yellow cards to every dutch player except for 3, and only 2 given to spain? Enough yellow cards to make Holland play with one less man? Really bad calls against holland, but the same plays by spain let go? a whistle every 15-20 seconds?

It was a terrible final with terrible officiating.

The Germany/Uraguay game was much better.

CrazyKell
07-12-2010, 08:36 AM

Maybe you could hook me up with your supplier. ;)

Panties not wadded, I don't care who likes or doesn't like the game. But if you don't like it....here's a tip....YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT!!!! :shrug:

The game was terrible because of the terrible officiating. It seems the ref was paid very well from a spanish sponsor. Yellow cards to every dutch player except for 3, and only 2 given to spain? Enough yellow cards to make Holland play with one less man? Really bad calls against holland, but the same plays by spain let go? a whistle every 15-20 seconds?

It was a terrible final with terrible officiating.

The Germany/Uraguay game was much better.

Um....did you miss the kung fu kick to the chest that should have been a red card? :skep: :scratch:

I'll admit the game was a gong show in the yellow card department. I thought after the first 3 that maybe it would settle down but by the end of that game there were a lot of players in danger of being sent off if they even looked the wrong way.

A lot of those fouls just should've been free kicks and left at that.

I'm sorry though, that kung fu kick to the chest should've been an immediate red card. :td:

tommymac
07-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Well now its over so we dont have to hear about it for another 4 years :lol:

besides real football starts in a few eeks anyway:rockwoot:

derf
07-12-2010, 09:04 AM
She's Canadian, no one cares what they think anyway. :lol:

Quoted for truth

EpyonXero
07-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Panties not wadded, I don't care who likes or doesn't like the game. But if you don't like it....here's a tip....YOU DON'T HAVE TO WATCH IT!!!! :shrug:

I think I speak for most sports fans when i say that we want to like soccer. So every 4 years we try to watch and get into the games but most of us end up disappointed. I have seen some good, exciting games this year but it seems like exciting is the exception in stead of the rule.

CrazyKell
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I think I speak for most sports fans when i say that we want to like soccer. So every 4 years we try to watch and get into the games but most of us end up disappointed. I have seen some good, exciting games this year but it seems like exciting is the exception in stead of the rule.

That's your opinion and that's fair. My point is just that, if you don't like it, well then don't watch it. :shrug:

I hate American Football so I don't watch it. Same goes for Baseball. But I don't go around saying how stupid and boring it is. I just go on my merry way and don't watch it. ;)

Inferno
07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Soccer is awesome. It was an awesome game. I am still recovering from the alcohol today.
This is not the last of big time soccer in the USA. There is Inter Milan vs Manchester City in Baltimore I am going to, and it will be sold out. How do I know? Because the Chelsea vs AC Milan in Baltimore last July was sold out and PACKED, it was awesome.

Dave
07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Manchester united is playing the philly union sometime this month I think