PDA

View Full Version : Challenges for the Guys

racedoll
11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
We all know some of the challenges women face when they start to ride...

holding and/or picking up the bike, hills, touching, etc.

So guys, my question is what were your challenges, if any?

I know I'll probably no replies as ya'll are too studly to have any and were able to jump right on and go, but I'll take my chances.

tommymac
11-17-2009, 09:47 PM
Finding a bike I fit on and is somewhat comfy. I am 6'4 with a 36 inch inseam so the ergos on some of the older sportbikes were prety brutal. The newer bikes seem a bit better for some reason.

Tom

Rangerscott
11-17-2009, 09:57 PM
If my bike fell over. I probably wouldnt be able to pick up. It's something I need to try.

karl_1052
11-17-2009, 10:02 PM
invincible syndrome.

Luckily it was cured by a dose of Chrysler New Yorker.

Particle Man
11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
panic braking... and crushing your balls against the tank.

Freakin' ouch.

TYEster
11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Corner/tire confidence.

It will always be an issue, because quite frankly I've learned that just about every turn is different. Even at the track, conditions can change. Also filed under this category, would be riding in the wet. It's sometimes inevitable, but still all apart of knowing the bikes capable limits.

tached1000rr
11-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Mine would be confidence in corner grip/tires once I began to push it, still not where I want to be even after all this time and that's most likely a good thing or I would have likely highsided myself off a cliff somewhere around here.

dReWpY
11-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Knee down for the first time

Adeptus_Minor
11-18-2009, 02:02 AM
Corner/tire confidence.

It will always be an issue, because quite frankly I've learned that just about every turn is different. Even at the track, conditions can change. Also filed under this category, would be riding in the wet. It's sometimes inevitable, but still all apart of knowing the bikes capable limits.

I'm with Tye on this... even though I don't think this is a particularly gender-based issue.

was92v
11-18-2009, 07:18 AM
We all know some of the challenges women face when they start to ride...

holding and/or picking up the bike, hills, touching, etc.

So guys, my question is what were your challenges, if any?

I know I'll probably no replies as ya'll are too studly to have any and were able to jump right on and go, but I'll take my chances.

When learning and starting new, Same. Oh and having to look cool and not getting laughed at...

Mr Lefty
11-18-2009, 07:35 AM
being tall... standing on the pegs, even with the high bars I have... I'm still hunched over a little... which means the only way I can go higher is go to ATV bars... and longer cables...

also means I require more seat area to be comfortable... which pushes my luggage back. making the bike's steering feel heavier.

larger boot means I've gotta really concentrate to get my foot under my shifter, or buy a MSR 1" longer shift pedal...

gotta carry a larger tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, ect.

most of mine are fixable with more $.

marko138
11-18-2009, 07:45 AM
being tall... standing on the pegs, even with the high bars I have... I'm still hunched over a little... which means the only way I can go higher is go to ATV bars... and longer cables...

also means I require more seat area to be comfortable... which pushes my luggage back. making the bike's steering feel heavier.

larger boot means I've gotta really concentrate to get my foot under my shifter, or buy a MSR 1" longer shift pedal...

gotta carry a larger tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, ect.

most of mine are fixable with more $.
Sounds like you should park that bike and never ride again.

Mr Lefty
11-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Sounds like you should park that bike and never ride again.

:lol: not the bike so much as my height. unless I went to a big GS like trips or the 990 KTM...

but I'm honestly having more fun riding this than I did the ZZR or the RR.

Gas Man
11-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Being able to ride more miles per day in consecutive days. It was made official. We want to ride to sturgis, ride the entire time there (read: not sitting in some stupid bar) and back this year. Its almost 1100 miles each way, and hopefully do 300-500 miles each day would be nice.

CasterTroy
11-18-2009, 08:30 AM
hopefully do 300-500 miles each day would be nice.

:lol c'mon man, I rode a K1200S to canada, a Busa to mexico, and an R1 to Key West, all from NC (500-700 mile days with ultra's and glides) and the RT from south florida home in the rain 883 miles in 12 hours. You should have NO PROBLEM doing 500 miles a day on that Harley :idk:

About the only things I have to overcome is "swamp-ass". I'm one of those ATGATT fools so I'm ALWAYS hot and sweating. Finally found some biker shorts that cure that, but it then adds to the OTHER issue I have, which is squishin my "junk" if I move wrong or sit the wrong way. The bike shorts compresses EVERYTHING, and well, when you squish stuff it tends to find the path of least resistance....and if you move your legs or stand up to promote circulation, you might get a surprise when you sit back down :wtfru:

Rider
11-18-2009, 08:31 AM
My challenge? Keeping the speed close to the speed limit. I love speed, not so much top end, but I love to corner quickly and full throttle it out if turns.

wildchild
11-18-2009, 10:09 AM
i started very young in dirt so i didn't have many physical challenges with riding but from teaching guys to ride i would say the two biggies were LEANING in a turn and putting down their feet when they stop.

Rider
11-18-2009, 10:14 AM
i started very young in dirt so i didn't have many physical challenges with riding but from teaching guys to ride i would say the two biggies were LEANING in a turn and putting down their feet when they stop.

Do people really forget to put their feet down? :wtfru:

wildchild
11-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Do people really forget to put their feet down? :wtfru:

dude I had one guy who seriously for two weeks I could never stop next to him, over he would go, at least twice per day. when he finally got it we went for a bit of a training ride. stopped at an intersection near a construction site. yep nervous with people watching, man down again. he still rides and has never had a bad wreck but it sure took awhile to get him going. LOL

z06boy
11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
panic braking... and crushing your balls against the tank.

Freakin' ouch.

:rofl: Yep that would be two things for sure.

TYEster
11-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm with Tye on this... even though I don't think this is a particularly gender-based issue.

Oh right, I forgot this is a gender-biased poll...

Well my only addition to that is just making at all costs, to avoid smashing the 'boys above all else. The rest goes :lol:

Trip
11-18-2009, 11:13 AM
paying attention

Trip
11-18-2009, 11:41 AM

Bend your knees, you aren't suppose to be standing straight up. You don't need ATV bars. You are reading too much shit on the internet and over researching it. I know 6'6" guy that doesn't have ATV bars and ride the shit out of some hardcore single track.

Rider
11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Bend your knees, you aren't suppose to be standing straight up. You don't need ATV bars. You are reading too much shit on the internet and over researching it. I know 6'6" guy that doesn't have ATV bars and ride the shit out of some hardcore single track.

Exactly, bend your knees. You should allow your knees to bend with the compression of the rear suspension using them as shock absorbers. Your elbows should be bent to for the same reason. If you are standing on your bike with your knees locked, you fail at offroad. :lol

fnfalman
11-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Picking up curb squirrels without pillion seat on bike.

marko138
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
Picking up curb squirrels without pillion seat on bike.
That is a challenge, isn't it?

Rider
11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
That is a challenge, isn't it?

For a short, fat, old, Asian guy in a yellow suit it might be. :lol

Sorry FN I couldn't help it.

marko138
11-18-2009, 01:34 PM

:owned:

wildchild
11-18-2009, 01:49 PM

yep there went the drink all over my keyboard. :lol

Tmall
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Corners! They're not natural feeling on a sportbike when you start out. That and getting over target fixation almost caused some embarassing low speed crashes.

Once I got over that, its been golden.

racedoll
11-18-2009, 06:08 PM
:lol c'mon man, I rode a K1200S to canada, a Busa to mexico, and an R1 to Key West, all from NC (500-700 mile days with ultra's and glides) and the RT from south florida home in the rain 883 miles in 12 hours. You should have NO PROBLEM doing 500 miles a day on that Harley :idk:

About the only things I have to overcome is "swamp-ass". I'm one of those ATGATT fools so I'm ALWAYS hot and sweating. Finally found some biker shorts that cure that, but it then adds to the OTHER issue I have, which is squishin my "junk" if I move wrong or sit the wrong way. The bike shorts compresses EVERYTHING, and well, when you squish stuff it tends to find the path of least resistance....and if you move your legs or stand up to promote circulation, you might get a surprise when you sit back down :wtfru:

Stated so eloquently...

For a short, fat, old, Asian guy in a yellow suit it might be. :lol.
:lol

fnfalman
11-19-2009, 01:23 AM

:owned:

yep there went the drink all over my keyboard. :lol

:lol

Eat crow, bitches!!! Who's laughing now? Remember that I am God's gift to the chicks.:rockwoot:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Farewell%20My%20Concubine/Friscos026.jpg

karl_1052
11-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Eat crow, bitches!!! Who's laughing now? Remember that I am God's gift to the chicks.:rockwoot:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Farewell%20My%20Concubine/Friscos026.jpg

Who is the chick beside Ronaold Mcdonald without the wig?

Phenix_Rider
11-19-2009, 09:30 AM
Finding a bike I fit on and is somewhat comfy. I am 6'4 with a 36 inch inseam so the ergos on some of the older sportbikes were prety brutal. The newer bikes seem a bit better for some reason.

Tom
I'm with stupid /\ a lot of sportbikes might as well be a pocket bike. Lanky legs only collapse so far!
Corners! They're not natural feeling on a sportbike when you start out. That and getting over target fixation almost caused some embarassing low speed crashes.

Once I got over that, its been golden.
:?: You move from a cruiser?
Who is the chick beside Ronaold Mcdonald without the wig?

:rofl::dt:

marko138
11-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Do yo thing, playa.

CasterTroy
11-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Stated so eloquently...

Lifes too short to beat around the bush ;)

Particle Man
11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Tron went yellow!

Gas Man
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM

I don't have a problem with those miles. What I'm talking about is doing those types of miles for 10 days straight.

Nice lookin chicky!

Tmall
11-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Picture with a girl equals a conquest these days?

I must be one hell of a pimp..

racedoll
11-19-2009, 08:17 PM

As her boyfriend stands in the background making sure you don't try something funny with his lady.

tached1000rr
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Another challenge for me at times is not to be or become lazy on spirited runs, meaning not moving around as much on the bike the longer the run last.

racedoll
11-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Another challenge for me at times is not to be or become lazy on spirited runs, meaning not moving around as much on the bike the longer the run last.

This is me if the ride isn't spirited enough.