PDA

View Full Version : Helmet or No Helmet

racedoll
11-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Legal or not I just could not bring myself to ride without a helmet

How do you feel about this?

Do you think insurance rates would be lower (or are lower) if states made them mandatory?

Homeslice
11-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Insurance companies aren't going to drop rates out of the goodness of their heart.

They should, however, RAISE the rates of anyone caught without a helmet on the police report.

TYEster
11-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Would be? Doubt it. Should be, more like it.

And no I still wouldn't ride without one. My only exception is if I just finished some minor work on the bike and I need to see if it's operating correctly and I just pull onto my neighborhood street.

Most of the time I don't even get away with that if my garage helper is around.

Particle Man
11-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Not even an option in my mind (which I'd like to keep from being splattered on the street).

askmrjesus
11-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I trust insurance companies as far as I can comfortably spit a rat, which is to say, not very far.

However, I do not believe in mandatory helmet, or seat belt laws, for anyone over he age of 21. It's your head, do with it what you will. If you've come to the conclusion that you're invincible, go for it.

Insurance companies charge higher premiums for young drivers, old drivers, smokers, and other "high risk" groups. I don't agree with all of their reasoning, but if you're not smart enough to wear a helmet, that's on you.

In short, I believe in charging people based on their own decisions.

JC

Adeptus_Minor
11-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't know, but rates should definitely be lower for people who voluntarily wear them.
Yeah yeah, I know... how can you prove something like that?
It's kind of like companies that offer healthy lifestyle insurance incentives.
They have people sign a sworn statement that they'll maintain the conditions of the program and after that you have to just take them at their word. :idk:
I can't really see insurance companies willingly giving customers a discount based on good faith.

CrazyKell
11-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Mandatory helmets up here and let me tell you about our rates....through the roof! :rolleyes:

tached1000rr
11-20-2009, 10:24 PM
How do you feel about this?

Do you think insurance rates would be lower (or are lower) if states made them mandatory?

bike thefts, accidents and being totaled drives insurance rates more so than anything.

Smittie61984
11-20-2009, 11:02 PM
bike thefts, accidents and being totaled drives insurance rates more so than anything.

I'd charge people in states with no helmet laws less. Odds are is if someone with no helmet wrecks a bike they won't be calling wanting a new bike.

derf
11-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I don't like helmet laws personally, the gov shouldnt tell me if I should or shouldnt wear a helmet, my safety gear doesnt affect other drivers on the road. I also dont believe that helmet laws affect insurance rates, 10 miles away from me in PA (no helmet laws) the insurance is less than half of what it cost me in NJ (mandatory helmet)

That being said, if an insurance company wanted to write their policies as to deny you benefits if you get hurt without one, I wouldnt have a problem with that

Fleck750
11-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Will always wear a helmet.

Going to mandate a helmet law? Then make it full face or nothing.
Half helmet wearers only get half the discount since only half their head is protected. I'm not interested in paying for cosmetic surgery to replace your chin.

CasterTroy
11-21-2009, 07:50 AM
I went without a helmet for bike week

We were 1 mile from main street and we didn't ride over 20 mph

But when we went anywhere other than main street, or to Ormond beach we wore them

I'd never do it anywhere else

Mikey
11-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I trust insurance companies as far as I can comfortably spit a rat, which is to say, not very far.

However, I do not believe in mandatory helmet, or seat belt laws, for anyone over he age of 21. It's your head, do with it what you will. If you've come to the conclusion that you're invincible, go for it.

Insurance companies charge higher premiums for young drivers, old drivers, smokers, and other "high risk" groups. I don't agree with all of their reasoning, but if you're not smart enough to wear a helmet, that's on you.

JC

This.

I wear a helmet 100% of the time I am on a bike, as do all my passengers. That will always be so, helmet law or no helmet law.

Still, I do so because I choose to, not because the government tells me to. I strongly oppose helmet laws, seatbelt laws, and all other nanny state "this is for your own protetion" laws.

azoomm
11-21-2009, 09:47 AM

JC

:dthumb:

Mr Lefty
11-21-2009, 10:41 AM

JC

I agree... HOWEVER... we have to remember that driving/riding is a privilege and not a right, and as such... they have the right to tell us what is required to exercise that privilege.

same as requirements to meet emissions, have headlights, safety glass, and mirrors.

I'd raise your age to about 25 though. I deal with 18-30 year olds (mostly 18-25y/o) daily... and the difference between a 18y/o and a 22y/o in case of maturity isn't much. >25 still have their idiots... but seems to drop off significantly IMO.

just my :2cents:

the chi
11-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I dont believe in mandatory helmet laws, but I dont leave the house without mine.

As far as insurance is concerned, if someone agrees to wear a helmet and doesnt and is hurt, I think they should deny coverage. They broke the agreement to ride safely in exchange for that discount, they obviously dont care to keep their insurance.

The military is big on that one, get busted in non approved gear or lack thereof, including helmet, they refuse to pay and may terminate you. Kid back in Florida thought he was a stunna, cracked his head on the curb, military did both. Kicked him out and left him to pay all his medical bills.

Mr Lefty
11-21-2009, 11:23 AM
I dont believe in mandatory helmet laws, but I dont leave the house without mine.

As far as insurance is concerned, if someone agrees to wear a helmet and doesnt and is hurt, I think they should deny coverage. They broke the agreement to ride safely in exchange for that discount, they obviously dont care to keep their insurance.

The military is big on that one, get busted in non approved gear or lack thereof, including helmet, they refuse to pay and may terminate you. Kid back in Florida thought he was a stunna, cracked his head on the curb, military did both. Kicked him out and left him to pay all his medical bills.

not only that... if you pass... they can deny your death benefits... ie no SGLI passed on to your kids/spouse, no GI Bill passed on, medical bills not paid, not allowed to be burred in Arlington, ect.

and that can be for something as simple as not wearing reflective material at all times... (since changed to reflective at night, brightly colored in daylight)

racedoll
11-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I wore one when I rode with Dad because I was <18. Once 18 I never wore one, until I met Erik. He wouldn't let me ride without one so I had to go buy, not I don't go without. If I am at the track and going to tech or something, then I don't wear it and it feels weird as hell. Kind of like not wearing ming my seat belt in the car, just missing something.

the chi
11-21-2009, 11:42 AM
not only that... if you pass... they can deny your death benefits... ie no SGLI passed on to your kids/spouse, no GI Bill passed on, medical bills not paid, not allowed to be burred in Arlington, ect.

and that can be for something as simple as not wearing reflective material at all times... (since changed to reflective at night, brightly colored in daylight)

Ah, and it differs for each base I guess too. Those rules were what I was familiar with, but Moody just made it a requirement that you must wear a gay reflective vest AT ALL TIMES when you are on base (I think off too).

was92v
11-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Helmet Laws Suck!
But I won't ride without one. When I ride in states without a helmet law, I still wear mine and all my gear, but that is my choice.
I like the freedom to choose, but I've landed on my head enough to
know which choice is right for me. I would be a different person today if I had not been wearing a helmet on several occasions in the past...

Rangerscott
11-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Helmet or no helmet is old. This is the new stuff.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_k5-P3nBvxas/SarDySJ8iyI/AAAAAAAAAVk/xnnXv5uqc5g/s400/sion_wilders_kippa_nm.5lsw947tho0skckgk4o8k4scw.br ydu4hw7fso0k00sowcc8ko4.th.jpeg

Cutty72
11-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Ah, and it differs for each base I guess too. Those rules were what I was familiar with, but Moody just made it a requirement that you must wear a gay reflective vest AT ALL TIMES when you are on base (I think off too).

Most posts require reflective vests/belts be worn while on post. Many rider I saw stop outside the gate and put it on/take it off too. I know I did. Not cause I didn't want to be "reflective" but my gear is already reflective, so why put on a restrictive belt or a ghey flapping vest.

And I know in the guard they cannot deny life insurance if you weren't wearing proper gear on a bike or seat belt in a car, as long as you are not on orders.

CrazyKell
11-21-2009, 07:43 PM
We were 1 mile from main street and we didn't ride over 20 mph

Ever seen the research on bicycle crash related head injuries? :?:

101lifts2
11-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Mandatory helmets up here and let me tell you about our rates....through the roof! :rolleyes:

Must be the healthcare. lol

101lifts2
11-21-2009, 09:13 PM
..... I also dont believe that helmet laws affect insurance rates, 10 miles away from me in PA (no helmet laws) the insurance is less than half of what it cost me in NJ (mandatory helmet)....t

I think they do, but NJ is prolly corrupt.

Rider
11-23-2009, 08:58 AM
I wear a full face helmet regardless of the law or insurance rates.

CasterTroy
11-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Ever seen the research on bicycle crash related head injuries? :?:

Ever had unprotected sex? :rockwoot:

shmike
11-23-2009, 09:15 AM

I'd charge people in states with no helmet laws less. Odds are is if someone with no helmet wrecks a bike they won't be calling wanting a new bike.

I don't like helmet laws personally, the gov shouldnt tell me if I should or shouldnt wear a helmet, my safety gear doesnt affect other drivers on the road. I also dont believe that helmet laws affect insurance rates, 10 miles away from me in PA (no helmet laws) the insurance is less than half of what it cost me in NJ (mandatory helmet)

Plus 3.

The correlation between helmet wearers and motorcycle insurance rates is minimal at best.

z06boy
11-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't think helmets make that much difference in rates but I have no problem wearing mine.

The only times I road without one was at bikeweek at low speeds.