PDA

View Full Version : E-Rocket

Gas Man
12-09-2009, 01:25 AM
So the Sachs MadAss wasn't small enough?

What about Pedal Power?

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | 'E-Rockit' hits German fast lane (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8147104.stm)

But damn... the price tag!

Quick281
12-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Awesome!

karl_1052
12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Now that look sweet!

goof2
12-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm skeptical. You can't get more power out of a system than you put in to it. If he has actually developed a way to do this he should fuck selling bikes for $40k, he should be selling the technology to hydroelectric and nuclear power generation facilities for billions.

Gas Man
12-09-2009, 11:23 PM
combined with a charge from a house?

goof2
12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
combined with a charge from a house?

That would be different. If that was in there I must have missed it in the video or the text.

shmike
12-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm skeptical. You can't get more power out of a system than you put in to it. If he has actually developed a way to do this he should fuck selling bikes for $40k, he should be selling the technology to hydroelectric and nuclear power generation facilities for billions.

I think the idea behind it is that this is an electric bike.

The "throttle" is the movement of the pedals rather than twisting the bar.

I'm not sure the pedaling has any direct effect on the actual work being done. :idk:

12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I think the idea behind it is that this is an electric bike.

The "throttle" is the movement of the pedals rather than twisting the bar.

I'm not sure the pedaling has any direct effect on the actual work being done. :idk:

I'm also guessing the effort doesn't go to waste, but instead does go to some energy generation....but by the looks of the thing, it's primarily just pedals acting as throttle on an electric bike.

...But this phrase gives me doubt on that rather easy dismissal:

"Stefan Gulas has developed a system that amplifies the effort you put in by a factor of 50, meaning you can accelerate quickly and maintain high speeds with very little effort."

goof2
12-10-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm also guessing the effort doesn't go to waste, but instead does go to some energy generation....but by the looks of the thing, it's primarily just pedals acting as throttle on an electric bike.

...But this phrase gives me doubt on that rather easy dismissal:

"Stefan Gulas has developed a system that amplifies the effort you put in by a factor of 50, meaning you can accelerate quickly and maintain high speeds with very little effort."

And that statement is why I stated I am skeptical. I didn't see anything in the video or in the text that indicated the thing took power from anything other than the pedals. That is also something I was specifically looking for so I doubt I missed it (it is possible though).

Ultimately if the statement Avatard has quoted means the effort is amplified without the addition of power from another source this guy has figured out a way to defy the law of conservation of energy and should be a multi-billionaire. If it is done with battery power it is another overpriced electric bike.

12-10-2009, 02:42 PM
OK, let's say the wording is conveniently misleading...thus the power input at the pedals is supplanted (not "amplified") with battery power in a 50:1 ratio...and THIS is what I think is really going on.

goof2
12-10-2009, 02:50 PM
OK, let's say the wording is conveniently misleading...thus the power input at the pedals is supplanted (not "amplified") with battery power in a 50:1 ratio...and THIS is what I think is really going on.

That is really the only possible explaination. If that is the case though the pedals are only adding around 2% of the power and are pretty much there for novelty. Ditch them and the equipment required for them to add power, give me a traditional throttle, and drop the price by 95% and I would start getting interested.