PDA

View Full Version : Be careful

OTB
04-27-2008, 05:06 PM
My wife tells me that I used to be a hothead in a car when people did stupid stuff : I’d cuss and swear, give people the one-finger salute, flash my brights at laggerts in the fast lane, and lift my foot from the gas, or mebbe just touch the brakes a tad to scare the sheiss out tailgaters. Then a few years ago I had a couple of close calls; I lifted my foot from the gas of my minivan when I had some butthead tailgating me. Turned out there was a serious mental case behind the wheel of that jacked-up 4x4; he passed me sideways on the shoulder of the beltway and then slammed on his brakes and jerked the wheel, blocking two lanes of traffic, I swerved around him and so began a high-speed chase that lasted 5 miles or so and ended when he tried to force me off the road. I rolled down my window and pointed my Python at him. He left in a hurry.

A year or so ago, I was riding to work. A fellow ran a stop light and nearly mangled me. I had the audacity to beep my pathetic horn at him as he breezed by scant inches from my front wheel. Screech of brakes and blue tire smoke, the clown spins the wheel and does his best Hollywood stuntman imitation spin, and tries to run me down AGAIN….. I was riding a GSXR at the time, so I left him in the dust in a hurry.

But those to incidences pretty much cured me of the need to make on the fly comments about other folk’s driving. There’s just too many people driving “on the edge” for me to wave my middle finger. Even if I’m within my “rights”, I’m still wrong to provoke these idiots. I shudder to think what my life would be like today if I’d had to shoot that crazy man in the 4x4. The hundreds and thousands of dollars defending criminal and wrongful death suits. Waiting for the outcome of investigations and grand juries. NO THANKS..

I spent a couple hours stall in traffic Friday afternoon, listening to metro traffic control describe fatal accident and a road closing near my house. Grabbed the paper Saturday morning to see this on the front page:
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/photos/0426wreck.jpg

and this story: http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2008/04_26-48/TO

We'll see what the investigation brings, but I'll make a bet the guy in the Contour will be charged with manslaughter; even if he isn't, he'll be sued till Kingdom Come, and even if he prevails, the legal costs will be staggering.

Watch out for the crazies....being "right" won't help you. ESPECIALLY on a bike.

marko138
04-27-2008, 05:10 PM
We've covered our fair share of fatal accidents up here in the last 48 hours. One of them involving a Hyabusa.

azoomm
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I used to be an angry human - both behind the wheel and not. When someone tells me that people can't change I can laugh... because I have.

You are quite right, it's just not worth it.

Mr Lefty
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I've slowed down ALOT in the last 2 years... dunno why... wasn't any one close call... I've been chased, told I was number 1 in several states, had bottles thrown at me, and completely run off the road several times... all due to soemone doing something stupid and me letting them know about it.

but as I said... I've slowed down... and with that... I've relaxed... I guess in the slowing down it's taken that edge of trying to get there in a hurry... so I'm calm.

It's helped my riding (when I get to ride that is) too... while driving slow I've been able to really watch peoples manerisms... and play a game with myself... I try to predict what that person is going to do next. I've gotten pretty good at it... and it's really taught me to watch the people in the vehicle... not just the vehicle.

I still ride faster than traffic... but that's more because wanna be seen... and if I'm moving faster than the traffic I have less of a chance of getting hit from behind by some blind idiot.

Captain Morgan
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Can't get to the article. I get an error message when I try to open the link or paste it into the address bar. Can ya copy and paste it for us?
Thanks

Mr Lefty
04-27-2008, 05:55 PM
editoh and the link doesn't work for me!:idk:

OTB
04-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Try This

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2008/04_26-48/TOP

Trip
04-27-2008, 06:11 PM
I have started to slow a lot in my cage as well. I now drive about 5 over and thats about it. I use to be a lot faster and just had a lot of close calls. I have made some stupid moves and had some people do some stupid things to me. Been chased, never chased anyone, and just had all kinds of road rage incidents. I just try not to use high traffic roads on the bike. It's totally not worth it. That's why I started riding track more. You still have stupid things happen out there though. Mr. Straight Line Queen still exists on the track, just got to learn to pass on the outside with those fuckers.

Mr Lefty
04-27-2008, 06:29 PM
yeah that worked... fuck... all that shit with a baby in the car... insane.

Captain Morgan
04-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Try This

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2008/04_26-48/TOP

Thanks. Yep, someone will probably do jail time for that one. The driver of the contour may have been pissed about being tailgated, but that doesn't make it right for him to slam on the brakes. I've brake checked people before, but don't do it any more. Of course, by brake check, I mean that I've tapped the brakes to light them up, not full out stomp on the brakes right in front of someone. These days, I just move over as soon as I get the opportunity. They aren't going to push me out of the way, but I do try to be considerate of those moving faster than me.

Mr Lefty
04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
yeah same here capt... I'd never lock up the tires... I want them off my ass... not trying to kill anyone. though i drive in the right lane as much as posible... only move over when passing... wish more people did that shit (pet peve of mine)

Trip
04-27-2008, 06:50 PM
I am bad about brake checking, not hard, just enough to get my point across.

byron12
04-28-2008, 01:32 AM
I have had several scary road rage incidents one that involved me in a physical altercation with a motorcyclist in my driveway which I am still confused as to why the guy was pissed. Either way the frequency of these incidents caused me to do a rare thing and look inward as to what about my behavior was causing me to experience these things since my wife nor anyone else I know ever describes these type of experiences. I have decided while I am right most of the time if I just slow down some and quit being so impatient and more understanding of american road etiquette. I have excepted that it is common to park in the left lane and all my tailgating efforts only serve to piss people off so why bother I am ontime as it is whereas it used to make me mad and I would drive in a way to antogonize these asses I have since come to the conclusion that what we do on the road is deadly serious and I have more to live for than getting to work five minutes early so I drive different than I used to.....BTW brake checkers burn in hell I hate you motherfuckers still.....

Captain Morgan
04-28-2008, 06:57 AM
yeah same here capt... I'd never lock up the tires... I want them off my ass... not trying to kill anyone. though i drive in the right lane as much as posible... only move over when passing... wish more people did that shit (pet peve of mine)

I agree. I had some passengers in my car and one girl said my driving sucked. I asked why and she said, "because you're always changing lanes back and forth. Just pick one and stay in it." I informed her that the proper procedure is to stay in the right lane unless passing someone. Her response, "that's stupid." :rolleyes:I hate it when someone is moving slowly in the left-hand lane and I have to pass on the right. Drives me up the wall.

marko138
04-28-2008, 09:11 AM
I've slowed down in the cage, soley to conserve gasoline.

NeonspeedRT
04-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Watch out for the crazies....being "right" won't help you. ESPECIALLY on a bike.

Well said. Thats something I always try and stress to my students. On a bike, you really need to check your ego at the door.

No matter who is right, in a situation where it's an auto vs a motorcycle, the auto will always win.

Phenix_Rider
04-28-2008, 09:36 AM
I've slowed down in the cage, soley to conserve gasoline.
Ditto. Managed to get the fuel mileage of my truck up to....13!!

No matter who is right, in a situation where it's an auto vs a motorcycle, the auto will always win.
The extra 3500 pounds make sure of that:no:

z06boy
04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I hate left laners.

I hate when mofos don't use their turnsignals.

I hate when people cut me off.

I hate when people pull out in front of me and cause me to hit my brakes.

I hate when people drive under the speedlimit and there are NO conditions to warrant this.

I have been involved in road rage incidents BUT am trying to be more patient and just accept the fact that there are morons driving on the street.

Bottom line...roadrage...NO it's not worth it...I'm trying to do better at avoiding it and this is a good thread. :dthumb:

Trip
04-28-2008, 10:55 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves is people who ride your ass in the left lane when you got traffic in front of you. It's like hello dipshit, I can't go anywhere, fuck off.

Rider
04-28-2008, 11:03 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves is people who ride your ass in the left lane when you got traffic in front of you. It's like hello dipshit, I can't go anywhere, fuck off.

Thats when i slow way the fuck down, I'll get right next to some semi or something going really slow so that they cant pass. Yes, I'm that much of an asshole.

z06boy
04-28-2008, 11:29 AM

EXACTLY...I've always wondered if they expect every single car in front of them to move over one by one since they must be the only people on the road in a hurry or running late. :panic:

Mudpuppy
04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
yeah for sure be careful.. my uncle got into it with a guy who cut him off and the guy whipped out a pipe and knocked his front tooth out.. 3 years and couple thousand later he now has an implant - was it worth it? hell no..

marko138
04-28-2008, 02:07 PM

Exactly. :nono:

the chi
04-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I must admit, I am an aggressive driver. I suffer from internal road rage and occasionally I want to hurt stupid people on the road. Ask anyone who has ever heard me while in my car, youd think I was in the Navy.

I am the driver that speeds everywhere, not because Im in a hurry, simply because I do. I have to check myself every so often to make sure Im not breaking the law too severely.

I do sometimes tailgate, not intentionally, merely thoughtlessly, but once I realize it I back off.

I dont brake check because I understand that sometimes you may not even realize it, and everyones definition of tailgating is different.

I dont cut people off, I dont curse and scream at you, and I dont flip people off. Even when I am in the right. I have been chased before, for flipping off a stupid bitch who literally ran me into a ditch, and I had to call the police to come chase her down and arrest her.

I am the driver that will let you in, that will wave at someone who lets me in, that will let you over if you turn on your signal, or will wait and let you go because its the polite thing to do.

Nothing irritates me more than someone not acknowledging a kind act, who doesnt feel the need to wave thanks at a polite road gesture. Road courtesy is a dying thing.

Along those same lines, are those idiots who go the speed limit or below in the left lane. Yes I know I am breaking the law by speeding, but you are breaking the law by blocking the left lane which is reserved for "passing" traffic. (I know people who have actually been pulled over for doing this btw).

And oh yeah, I will put up with you being rude for awhile, but once you finally irritate me, I am the one who will go out of my way to make your life difficult. I will use other cars to block you, or make sure I anticipate your next move to cut me off and make sure I am there in a totally legal, law abiding manner...one of those "good citizens" who follows the law...in certain circumstances...:wink:

comonboys
04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah, that happened to me today. Going to school, there were vechiles infront of me so moving to the other lane wasn't an option to let the truck merge in off the on ramp..... I needed to get off at the next exit which was like 20 yards infront of that........ Well this ass pushed me into the other lane and then had to balls to flip me off..... Fuck that pisses me off. You YEILD shitheads to the traffic when you come onto interstate.....

byron12
04-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I must admit, I am an aggressive driver. I suffer from internal road rage and occasionally I want to hurt stupid people on the road. Ask anyone who has ever heard me while in my car, youd think I was in the Navy.

I am the driver that speeds everywhere, not because Im in a hurry, simply because I do. I have to check myself every so often to make sure Im not breaking the law too severely.

I do sometimes tailgate, not intentionally, merely thoughtlessly, but once I realize it I back off.

I dont brake check because I understand that sometimes you may not even realize it, and everyones definition of tailgating is different.

I dont cut people off, I dont curse and scream at you, and I dont flip people off. Even when I am in the right. I have been chased before, for flipping off a stupid bitch who literally ran me into a ditch, and I had to call the police to come chase her down and arrest her.

I am the driver that will let you in, that will wave at someone who lets me in, that will let you over if you turn on your signal, or will wait and let you go because its the polite thing to do.

Nothing irritates me more than someone not acknowledging a kind act, who doesnt feel the need to wave thanks at a polite road gesture. Road courtesy is a dying thing.

Along those same lines, are those idiots who go the speed limit or below in the left lane. Yes I know I am breaking the law by speeding, but you are breaking the law by blocking the left lane which is reserved for "passing" traffic. (I know people who have actually been pulled over for doing this btw).

And oh yeah, I will put up with you being rude for awhile, but once you finally irritate me, I am the one who will go out of my way to make your life difficult. I will use other cars to block you, or make sure I anticipate your next move to cut me off and make sure I am there in a totally legal, law abiding manner...one of those "good citizens" who follows the law...in certain circumstances...:wink:

I can commiserate I am a very impatient driver and I am addicted to going fast even in boring vehicles like my pickup or my moms mini van. I think that I resemble this cat alot of the time.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/spencerbyron09/Catdrivingangry.jpg

the chi
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
I can commiserate I am a very impatient driver and I am addicted to going fast even in boring vehicles like my pickup or my moms mini van. I think that I resemble this cat alot of the time.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i121/spencerbyron09/Catdrivingangry.jpg

Oh holy crap, that pic is TOTALLY ME in the car...facial expression and all!!!