PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm Another Step Towards The New BMW...

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I went to Raleigh yesterday and put a refundable deposit on one of the new S1000RRs. I'm still a bit on the fence because I haven't seen it in person yet. The thing that is pissing me off already is how money grubby these bastards are.

Zero deals...yep no discounts, offers, rebates, nothing. I understand that it's a new, hot model but yeesh.

Everything is extra...fuck, they want an extra $700 just for the privilege of getting the bike in white with a blue and red stripe. Abs is $1,000 and race abs with DTC is $1400. If I skip all that crap the bike is about $14,000. Unfortunately, the other color options are kinda ugly, imho.

The accessories are fucking outrageous!!! Yikes!

On a positive note, they do give you a 3 year warranty which will save me approx. $600 on an extended warranty.

My insurance agent is checking the rate now for me, so we'll see if that's a problem.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/bmw-s-1000rr-motorsport-x.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/BMW_S1000RR_black_left_profile.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/BMW_S1000RR_silver_right_profile.jpg

shmike
12-16-2009, 11:51 AM
The black does the best job of hiding the ugly, IMO.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Yea, that's the second choice for sure. That "brownish" color is hideous, imho and when it's combined with the silver...YUCK!!! If I could get it with the body in white and the frame, swing arm, wheels, etc in black. I'd be good. If I get the black, the tank and wheels will be painted within a month of delivery. I'm not sure if I'd want to fuck with swing arm on a new bike.

pauldun170
12-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Have you sat on one yet?

I was seriously considering picking one up until the deal came out on the CBR's.

Rider
12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
That black is:boobs:

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Have you sat on one yet?

I was seriously considering picking one up until the deal came out on the CBR's.

Nope, that's why the deposit is refundable. They are getting a demo bike in a few weeks and I have to make a final decision then. I am tempted to wait and see what Suzuki does for 2011 but this is an interesting choice and something of a departure for me. Besides, I'll still have my old GSXR1000 for when I want to be a squid...

That black is:boobs:

It beats the shit out of the silver or green imho.

Sean
12-16-2009, 12:08 PM

I just think she's a butterface.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:10 PM
I just think she's a butterface.

Yea, I think that the styling will take some getting used to but I owned a Hayabusa... As long as the performance and handling lives up to the hype, I'll live with the styling.

azoomm
12-16-2009, 12:14 PM
The yellow/green needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.

The red/white/blue isn't just the alternate plastic color - it's also a polished swing-arm and exhaust.

Congrats on putting money down on it - it's a fantastic [FANTASTIC] motorcycle.

TYEster
12-16-2009, 12:17 PM
For that kinda money I'd be getting the full factory options.

I'm also partial to the white scheme.

Homeslice
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
The green is awesome IMO.......The other colors are too common.

As for the lights, not many bikes look all that great from a head-on view anyway, so one isn't much better than the other. It's the side view that makes or breaks a bike.

goof2
12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Why would they offer discounts? It appears as though the deal breaker you may have is the bike itself, not the price. BMW sees themselves as above the, in what I believe is their opinion, cookie cutter Japanese bikes. They present their bikes as more refined and of higher quality than the Japanese. Along with that comes the belief that they have no need to come close on price either.

Homeslice
12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
And they wouldn't need to either, because they'll sell every one of them without needing to haggle.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
The yellow/green needs to be seen in person to be appreciated.

The red/white/blue isn't just the alternate plastic color - it's also a polished swing-arm and exhaust.

Congrats on putting money down on it - it's a fantastic [FANTASTIC] motorcycle.

Yea, I see that the swing arm is silver... the exhaust looks the same, but I'll take you word for it. Of course, you realize that the day after I make the deal, I'll be ordering an Akrapovic so the exhaust doesn't matter. I'm already scheming about how I can get the dealership to take the swing arm apart for cheap and send it, the tank and the wheels out to be be painted for me. Otherwise, I'll probably get the white and suck up the out fucking rageous surcharge. The problem is that they have 5, now 6 deposits on the damn thing without even having one at the dealership, so they have zero motivation to deal in any way.

Hey, Azoom, how do you like the DTC and ABS? I won't lie, I'm a little leery of that kind of stuff. On the other hand, having some electronic help would be a bad thing on a bike with those hp numbers.

Trip
12-16-2009, 12:26 PM
OMFG, I am at a loss of words to taunt you Tigger. I am going to need a few hours to compose my thoughts into massive amounts of win. :nee:

Headlights are fugly, no getting around that. The gills are pretty stupid too. Besides that, it's a bad ass bike.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Why would they offer discounts? It appears as though the deal breaker you may have is the bike itself, not the price. BMW sees themselves as above the, in what I believe is their opinion, cookie cutter Japanese bikes. They present their bikes as more refined and of higher quality than the Japanese. Along with that comes the belief that they have no need to come close on price either.

Oh but they are offering incentives on most of the other bikes in their line up...

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Homeslice
12-16-2009, 12:28 PM
The gills fucking rock IMO.

azoomm
12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey, Azoom, how do you like the DTC and ABS? I won't lie, I'm a little leery of that kind of stuff. On the other hand, having some electronic help would be a bad thing on a bike with those hp numbers.

yes yes and YES. Get the full package, it's go big or go home time. Seriously.

By the way - it's R-ABS, or RaceABS. This isn't your daddy's ABS, it's designed knowing it's a sportbike with possible race conditions.

Everything on that bike is there for a reason. The gills on one side with the hole on the other creates a vacuum in the bodywork that sends the heat out the side of the motor [the hole side of the plastics] rather than vented onto the rider.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
OMFG, I am at a loss of words to taunt you Tigger. I am going to need a few hours to compose my thoughts into massive amounts of win. :nee:

Headlights are fugly, no getting around that. The gills are pretty stupid too. Besides that, it's a bad ass bike.

Allow me to pre-respond...

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/2009-BMW-R1200GS.jpg

askmrjesus
12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
The gills fucking rock IMO.

Yeah.

If you're a fish.

JC

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah.

If you're a fish.

JC

yea...well apparently they funnel heat away from the rider while you're moving... honestly, I've never had a problem with heat while moving so... I don't know. The styling is not my favorite but I want something different and I believe that between the MV, the Aprillia, the Ducati and the BMW this will be my best bang for the buck option.

Sean
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
There are so many hot literbikes out there right now...almost makes me wish I wasn't such a die-hard middleweight guy. I loved the new R1, now this thing is stomping on everything out there.

askmrjesus
12-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't actually care. :lol:

JC

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't actually care. :lol:

JC

Really? Gee why ever not?

shmike
12-16-2009, 12:48 PM
yea...well apparently they funnel heat away from the rider while you're moving... honestly, I've never had a problem with heat while moving so... I don't know. The styling is not my favorite but I want something different and I believe that between the MV, the Aprillia, the Ducati and the BMW this will be my best bang for the buck option.

You know the Europeans don't allow Jordan logos right?

I can't wait until your closet is filled with Dainese and Puma! :lol:

Trip
12-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Allow me to pre-respond...

Well that's a BMW too, it's fucking ugly. I will freely admit it's really fucking ugly. I have always thought it looks retarded, it could always be worse though. It could be a Vstrom or a Versys.

Kaneman
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Well that's a BMW too, it's fucking ugly. I will freely admit it's really fucking ugly. I have always thought it looks retarded, it could always be worse though. It could be a Vstrom or a Versys.

I actually think it's badass looking. It just looks tough, like it can handle everything. I don't want every bike out there to look like a 998R, you know? Of course, I bought a V-Strom so I may be bias.

Tigger, congrats, that is a sweet fucking bike, I like pretty much everything about it. You have my blessing.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
You know the Europeans don't allow Jordan logos right?

I can't wait until your closet is filled with Dianese and Puma! :lol:

I already have Dainese jackets/equipment and A* is made in Italy... just saying...

I've been looking at those Pumas for a while but with 5 pairs of riding boots, I'm having a hard time justifying it to myself...

Lastly, from what I hear, Jordan Racing is on the short list to be riding BMWs next year.

Dave
12-16-2009, 01:16 PM
you fanboy squid. You're just following mladdin :P seriously though, its an interesting bike. Green or black ftw

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
you fanboy squid. You're just following mladdin :P seriously though, its an interesting bike. Green or black ftw

Nah, I'm following Jordan Racing...

Homeslice
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Some of A* boots might be made in Italy, but their jackets? China mostly. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:20 PM

or a Gladius!!! Yikes!

Dave
12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Some of A* boots might be made in Italy, but their jackets? China mostly. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

ahh perfect! So is the s1000rr :lol:

Trip
12-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Of course, I bought a V-Strom so I may be bias.

There is nothing wrong with the v-strom. It's an awesome rock solid bike, just not a fan of the looks. Which is a stupid reason to not like a bike because the performance matters more. Learned that with the Beemer.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:23 PM

We're both off...Croatia...

Dave
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
We're both off...Croatia...

buy yourself a springfield xd to match then

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with the v-strom. It's an awesome rock solid bike, just not a fan of the looks. Which is a stupid reason to not like a bike because the performance matters more. Learned that with the Beemer.

yea, I used to say that when I owned the 'Busa...well, that and "don't worry your pretty little head about the looks, you won't be able to see it from 2 miles behind me!"

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:27 PM

I don't know... it's like women, you can't seem to find a hot one with all of the personality traits that you want. You always end up compromising looks for personality or personality for looks.

101lifts2
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I sat on this at the bike show...fits me well and I love the front end and the sides minus the coloring scheme.

IMO...you are paying for more expensive components (though they may not last longer) and the BMW name. I don't see this bike winning too many races, though.

And for the record, you couldn't handle the Gixxar 1milllllllllion to begin with!:lol
Maybe you need to step down to a 600 son. lol

Particle Man
12-16-2009, 01:33 PM
what does it look like from the saddle? Honestly, I am at the point where I could pretty much care less what a bike looks like to people on the sidewalk - I spend my time in the saddle so that's what is important to me.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:37 PM
I sat on this at the bike show...fits me well and I love the front end and the sides minus the coloring scheme.

IMO...you are paying for more expensive components (though they may not last longer) and the BMW name. I don't see this bike winning too many races, though.

And for the record, you couldn't handle the Gixxar 1milllllllllion to begin with!:lol
Maybe you need to step down to a 600 son. lol

Huh? '88 V-Max, '92 FZR1000, '95 FZR1000, '97 YZF1000R, '00 Hayabusa, '01 GSXR1000, '03 GSXR1000, '06 GSXR1000

Who here has more experience with liter bikes, "son"?

Oh almost forgot...'86 ZX10, old CB1000 (only Honda I've ever owned-traded it after 3 months)

101lifts2
12-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Huh? '88 V-Max, '92 FZR1000, '95 FZR1000, '97 YZF1000R, '00 Hayabusa, '01 GSXR1000, '03 GSXR1000, '06 GSXR1000

Who here has more experience with liter bikes, "son"?

Oh almost forgot...'86 ZX10, old CB1000 (only Honda I've ever owned-traded it after 3 months)

Maybe I should have put another smiley?:boobs:

I was j/k of course. I know you've said how many liters you have had in the past.

If you get it, give us a full writeup...

Trip
12-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't know... it's like women, you can't seem to find a hot one with all of the personality traits that you want. You always end up compromising looks for personality or personality for looks.

I can honestly say the 600rr was both for me. It was exactly what I wanted, when I wanted a sportbike. I loved that bike, it was hard to sell it, but I wanted to move on.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Maybe I should have put another smiley?:boobs:

I was j/k of course. I know you've said how many liters you have had in the past.

If you get it, give us a full writeup...

hey I know you're kidding, no problemo bro! Yea we'll see. I'm also searching for that fabled $11,000 MV 1000F4 I keep hearing about. Apparently, MV has reduced the price on all of their '09s...

azoomm
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
what does it look like from the saddle? Honestly, I am at the point where I could pretty much care less what a bike looks like to people on the sidewalk - I spend my time in the saddle so that's what is important to me.

It's tiny.

I mean, it's itty bitty.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I can honestly say the 600rr was both for me. It was exactly what I wanted, when I wanted a sportbike. I loved that bike, it was hard to sell it, but I wanted to move on.

Hey, I'm not getting rid of my GSXR! That bike is perfect for me and even with all the shit I get about accessories/mods, I can honestly say that the bike is set-up perfectly for me! I've never felt more comfortable on a bike other than the '01 GSXR1000.

HokieDNA01
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM
I"m not big on the gills look.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 02:03 PM
Hot off the presses...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/

pdog
12-16-2009, 06:17 PM
185hp at the rear wheel, confirmed. Much more than other liter bikes.

http://motorcycledaily.com/16december09_bmw_s1000r_dyno.htm

the chi
12-16-2009, 07:31 PM

Until you met me tho right sweetheart?!

:lol:

Congrats if ya get it, theres pros and cons to the look, but overall I can bet its gonna be an INCREDIBLE ride! White FTW.

Dave
12-16-2009, 08:15 PM

Congrats if ya get it, theres pros and cons to the look, but overall I can bet its gonna be an INCREDIBLE ride! White FTW.

for having never met you i just knew you were gonna respond to that :lol:

the chi
12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I couldnt help myself, but come on, do you doubt it? :wink:

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 09:14 PM

You know it Rae, Rae!! You know me and white baby! We'll see... I've been waffling over a new bike for months! I've managed to save almost $10,000 for this so, I'm going to get what I want!

the chi
12-16-2009, 09:25 PM
You know it Rae, Rae!! You know me and white baby! We'll see... I've been waffling over a new bike for months! I've managed to save almost $10,000 for this so, I'm going to get what I want!

Damn, thats a helluva savings, good job. I want to see detailed pics of the sexy beast if you get it. We saw the display at Indy, pretty sweet other than the oddities of lights and gills.

Amber Lamps
12-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Damn, thats a helluva savings, good job. I want to see detailed pics of the sexy beast if you get it. We saw the display at Indy, pretty sweet other than the oddities of lights and gills.

No bills, no Raes-I mean wives... So, if I get this bike are you coming to visit me for a couple weeks to take it for a few rides?

t-homo
12-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Congrats dude. I have been drooling over the bike for a while now.

Amber Lamps
12-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Congrats dude. I have been drooling over the bike for a while now.

Well, it ain't a deal yet... I fully admit to severe wishy-washiness on this one. I only put money down because if I didn't there would be almost no chance of getting one. We'll see. Oh and I'll probably take MCN's advice and get it without the electronic toys... More than one reviewer didn't like them and I'm an old dog that doesn't really want to learn new tricks. I've lived without ABS and DTC for this long...

t-homo
12-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Do you ever sleep? You are on here at all hours of the day.

Maybe the abs with dtc could stop you in time for those deer.

askmrjesus
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
pretty sweet other than the oddities of lights and gills.

Doesn't look odd to me.

JC

t-homo
12-17-2009, 08:58 AM
holy shit. that is awesome.

the chi
12-17-2009, 09:14 AM
No bills, no Raes-I mean wives... So, if I get this bike are you coming to visit me for a couple weeks to take it for a few rides?

I might drag myself away from GA to check it out. :wink: Course I may need to come that way next Gap trip too...

Doesn't look odd to me.

JC

snort

Great picture!

Dave
12-17-2009, 09:47 AM
I couldnt help myself, but come on, do you doubt it? :wink:

never for a second ;) besides i have the word of a ginger kid that you're awesome in person :lol:

Dave
12-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Well, it ain't a deal yet... I fully admit to severe wishy-washiness on this one. I only put money down because if I didn't there would be almost no chance of getting one. We'll see. Oh and I'll probably take MCN's advice and get it without the electronic toys... More than one reviewer didn't like them and I'm an old dog that doesn't really want to learn new tricks. I've lived without ABS and DTC for this long...

you oughtta check out the rsv4r. way nicer sounds

marko138
12-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I like this bike. I like the green, but the white is bad ass.

I also like the Aprilia. Both killer machines.

Homeslice
12-17-2009, 09:58 AM
you oughtta check out the rsv4r. way nicer sounds

1st year Italian reliability = no thanks :lol:

2nd or 3rd maybe.

Dave
12-17-2009, 12:34 PM

2nd or 3rd maybe.

as opposed to german reliability? :Lol: besides he already said hed take an mv should he find one and i doubt the rsv4r will piss coolant on him at every stop :lol:

Amber Lamps
12-17-2009, 06:15 PM
as opposed to german reliability? :Lol: besides he already said hed take an mv should he find one and i doubt the rsv4r will piss coolant on him at every stop :lol:

Yea, the thing is, I don't want to pay $20,000 for a Euro bike. I keep dreaming of a 675 but with a 1000+cc motor... Again, I kinda want to step away from Suzuki for this bike, and I'm keeping my present bike anyway. I would happily take a Ducati, Aprillia, KTM, BMW, MV, Benelli, etc but for about $13,000... kinda wipes out the other possibilities...

t-homo
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Rc8.

fnfalman
12-17-2009, 09:41 PM

2nd or 3rd maybe.

But you're willing to trust yourself to 1st year German junk?:lol

Dave
12-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Yea, the thing is, I don't want to pay $20,000 for a Euro bike. I keep dreaming of a 675 but with a 1000+cc motor... Again, I kinda want to step away from Suzuki for this bike, and I'm keeping my present bike anyway. I would happily take a Ducati, Aprillia, KTM, BMW, MV, Benelli, etc but for about $13,000... kinda wipes out the other possibilities...

and with an rsv4r you still wouldnt be. its 15,999. the factory is 20k. and trust me no one wants a new heavily track focused triumph triple like i do lol

Homeslice
12-17-2009, 09:56 PM
But you're willing to trust yourself to 1st year German junk?:lol

I'll let you guys plunk down full retail for your Aprilias.......Then I'll scoop one up for half the price only 3 years later, like I did on my last one :lol:

pdog
12-17-2009, 11:31 PM
:lol

I'll let you guys plunk down full retail for your Aprilias.......Then I'll scoop one up for half the price only 3 years later, like I did on my last one :lol:

101lifts2
12-17-2009, 11:52 PM

Speaking of Aprillas, how do you like the one u have? As compared to a Jap bike?