View Full Version : 11,000 miles in 11 days

Gas Man
01-15-2010, 12:11 AM
On a freakin Sportster!!! OMG

Teaser Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwq4hwKd5XI

101lifts2
01-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Where can you ride 11,000 miles? The time would be 15.3 hours at a constant 65mph (cause a Sportster can't go too much faster lol).

Gas Man
01-15-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know... Detroit to LA to Miami to Detroit?

fasternyou929
01-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Super slab all day every day... what a way to ruin the opportunity to ride for 11 straight days. :lol:

I mean, it's an accomplishment, but nothing I'd ever want to do. Give me 11 days on mountain and rural roads over that anytime.

Curb
01-15-2010, 07:29 AM
One of my customers does it every year. This years Iron Butt went from South Carolina to Seattle, WA. The kicker about these Iron Butt rides is that the all the participants have to start at the same location. So my customer who live down here had an 800 mile ride to the start point and a about a 3500 mile ride home for grand total of 15,300 miles which he did in a little over 2 weeks.

tommymac
01-15-2010, 07:33 AM
One of my customers does it every year. This years Iron Butt went from South Carolina to Seattle, WA. The kicker about these Iron Butt rides is that the all the participants have to start at the same location. So my customer who live down here had an 800 mile ride to the start point and a about a 3500 mile ride home for grand total of 15,300 miles which he did in a little over 2 weeks.

But did he do it on a sportster :lol:

I woul dthink after 3 or 4 days it would realy get tough. I have done a few 800 plus mile days and at the end of the day I am prety beat, not sure I would want to wake up and do it all over again.

askmrjesus
01-15-2010, 07:44 AM

I woul dthink after 3 or 4 days it would realy get tough. I have done a few 800 plus mile days and at the end of the day I am prety beat, not sure I would want to wake up and do it all over again.

Yeah, by day three I'd be looking for a Hotel with a well stocked bar.

I used to be a rock climber, long time ago. Never had any interest in doing Everest though. Not my idea of fun.

JC

tommymac
01-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Yeah, by day three I'd be looking for a Hotel with a well stocked bar.

I used to be a rock climber, long time ago. Never had any interest in doing Everest though. Not my idea of fun.

JC

I guess everyone has their limit. I want to get an iron butt patch more or less just because I want to. I like distance riding but doing it all on the slab is not fun either, gotta stop and smell the roses once in a while.

I saw some pics from the utah 1081 and it looks like htere are soem great roads and phenominal views there so I would rather take that in than be about making time and logging miles. I would do that part hammering through iowa and mid america LOL

Curb
01-15-2010, 08:35 PM

No, he does it on an old POS Triumph Trophy. But he did ride from Key West to Prudhoe Bay to Key West on a BMW GS650:screwy:

tommymac
01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
No, he does it on an old POS Triumph Trophy. But he did ride from Key West to Prudhoe Bay to Key West on a BMW GS650:screwy:

Thats impressive, I think someone had the link for the guy who made it from alska to key west in 5 days and shattered the previous record. But he did it on an fjr that I am sure had some modifications to aid in distance riding.

askmrjesus
01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Thats impressive, I think someone had the link for the guy who made it from alska to key west in 5 days and shattered the previous record. But he did it on an fjr that I am sure had some modifications to aid in distance riding.

I spent a few nights drinking with a guy named Peter Vangergernhoven (or something like that). I think he came in second or third of couple of years in the Iron Butt. His FJR had custom aluminum gas tanks all over it. Fucking thing was the Exxon Valdez of sport tourers.

He would ride 18 hours at a crack, sleep under a tarp for half an hour, (sleeping bags just slow you down) and then get back on the road.

Really nice guy.

Crazy as a shit house rat.

JC

tommymac
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
I spent a few nights drinking with a guy named Peter Vangergernhoven (or something like that). I think he came in second or third of couple of years in the Iron Butt. His FJR had custom aluminum gas tanks all over it. Fucking thing was the Exxon Valdez of sport tourers.

He would ride 18 hours at a crack, sleep under a tarp for half an hour, (sleeping bags just slow you down) and then get back on the road.

Really nice guy.

Crazy as a shit house rat.

JC

I have seen a few pics of the fjrs and some bmw's with all sorts of fuel cells on them, even in a car you wat to stop and stretch the legs after 3 or 4 hrs, couldnt imagine that on a bike.

I was reading the rules for getting an IBA patch for 1k miles in 24 hrs and it said you must stop every 350 miles or soemthing like that, figure these nuts with 7plus gallons of fuel can prolly go further than that anyway. I can stretch it to 200 on my futura but thats without the hard bags, and a puny 5 gallon tank.

Cass
01-16-2010, 12:20 AM
I think the max fuel capacity you're allowed for the IBR is 11.5gal or so.. maybe 12, or just a tick under. They're definitely serious about it though.... and if the rules say you have to stop every 350 miles, by god you better stop lol. There were some interesting bikes for the 09 IBR.. and one guy who ended up buying 2 bikes en route because the one he was on died.

marko138
01-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I got about 30 seconds in to that vid and shut 'er down. The editing was getting on my nerves.

derf
01-17-2010, 01:09 PM
I think the max fuel capacity you're allowed for the IBR is 11.5gal or so.. maybe 12, or just a tick under. They're definitely serious about it though.... and if the rules say you have to stop every 350 miles, by god you better stop lol. There were some interesting bikes for the 09 IBR.. and one guy who ended up buying 2 bikes en route because the one he was on died.

11.5 gal is the max for the Iron butt rally. For a saddlesore 1k you can have an unlimited amount of gas, however you better be prepared to document it.