PDA

View Full Version : Joe Rocket, Tour Master, First Gear

Smittie61984
05-02-2008, 12:17 PM
I won a $30 gift certificate at a bike night. So I stopped by Lawrenceville Honda(A local full blown Stealership) to look at what they had for $30. Once I read the prize I saw I have to spend $60 for them to use all of the $30 up. Which is fine because it would cost me $30.

Anyways I'm wanting some good summertime gloves. I tried on some 1st gear gloves and felt they were okay. Again might be good for an august downtown Atlanta cruise. Then saw the Cortech/Tour Masters but didn't try those on because the ones I liked where I think $70 and I was just wanting to use that $30. But of course found out later I need to spend just about that so the Tourmasters are up on the table now. Never tried the Joe Rockets on but will probably run up there today and give it a try.

But while at cycle gear the only glove I tried on that I really liked was the Dainese. They fit my hand well like a glove. I didn't even like the A*. Unfortunately I didn't see a perfurated Dianese glove there(except 1 shortie)

Anyways one of my concerns is Quality. If my palms hit the ground I don't want stitches flying everywhere and exposing my palm to the ground. So how would the 3 different mentioned gloves stand up in a crash?

Trip
05-02-2008, 12:22 PM
All of them won't hold up if you surf some asphalt. Better than nothing, but summer gloves don't hold up well at all.

Phenix_Rider
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
How "summer" are you looking? I like my (Tour Master) Cortech Scarab RR. Vented full gauntlet. $72 most places

Smittie61984
05-02-2008, 01:00 PM
When I decide to do moutain riding or trips up to the Gap I'll use my full leather gloves. Which grant it they are nothing more tahn Frank Thomas but I'll be replacing them in maybe a couple of months with some new Dainese gloves that I like.

This will be more for when I want to head out to work or to shoot some pool and want something that breathes a little.

I like the cortech ones and saw them up there. How well do they breathe?

OneSickPsycho
05-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Excellent summer glove... retails for about $60... crash tested...
http://www.allsetcyclegear.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_1/35904883_8129566_full.gif

Cutty72
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Excellent summer glove... retails for about $60... crash tested...

Great gloves, love mine as well

the chi
05-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Out of the 3, i would go JR. I have some TM winter gloves, they dont impress me quality wise and I had a FG jacket and while it met my needs, it fell into the same category IMO as the TM stuff...

Phenix_Rider
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
When I decide to do moutain riding or trips up to the Gap I'll use my full leather gloves. Which grant it they are nothing more tahn Frank Thomas but I'll be replacing them in maybe a couple of months with some new Dainese gloves that I like.

This will be more for when I want to head out to work or to shoot some pool and want something that breathes a little.

I like the cortech ones and saw them up there. How well do they breathe?

Really well actually. They get awfully cold below, say, 45 degrees. As long as you're moving, your hands will stay cool in 90+ degrees. I had black, so sitting in traffic my hands got hot. Rode with them in the rain, and the color never bled.

Cortech also has a semi shorty (whatever you want to call it) similar to the A* Octane S-Moto. More protection than a true short cuff, but less fighting to get on and off compared to full gauntlet.

Smittie61984
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
I got the Cortech/tour master today. This one...
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=111&cat=29

I stopped at Cycle Gear first and tried on many gloves again. Even the A*s. I still don't like the A* gloves. The only gloves that I have tried on that fit me perfect is the Dainese gloves. So those will be my next high quality gloves.

But I went back to the store and put on the Cortech ones and they fit the closest to the Dainese gloves. Much better than the Joe rockets they had available. Unfortunately they only had s, xs, and m. The mediums I could probably have managed and hindsight probably should have got. But I ordered the large in black and silver.

I also thinkt he Stealership shafted me and charged me shipping on the new ones. But it totaled out to $54.

Lamnidae
05-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the post smittie. I'm in the market for summer gloves too...

will drop by Cyclegear when I get home and try those A*s... hope they fit decent.

Smittie61984
05-02-2008, 10:06 PM
When I get them in I'll let you know how they feel(Hopefully not how well they stand up in a crash).

These are the Dainese I was looking at. I put those bad boys on and they felt damn good. I think they were $135.
http://www.dainese.com/eng/articolo.asp?cat=1,2,3,7&nome=RS-3&articolo=1815484

Phenix_Rider
05-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I also thinkt he Stealership shafted me and charged me shipping on the new ones. But it totaled out to $54.

You got the Scarab RR for $54 total? or $54 out of pocket after your $30 rebate? The first is a great price, the second ($84 total) sucks!

The Cortech Vice and A* 3/4 are the semi-gauntlets I was thinking of. I like the idea. Haven't found anywhere to try them on yet.

Smittie61984
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
$54 out of pocket.

I did try on the A*s, Joe Rockets, Frank Thomas', and more. I couldn't stand how the A*s felt on my hand. And I don't trust JR or FT(Despite I have FT) as much as I would a A* but have been hearing good things about Cortech/Tour Master.

Unfortunately the place I got the discount from doesn't have crap when it comes to gear or anything else really. Like most dealerships they have midrange to low end stuff. Didn't have a single pair of riding boots.