PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia Recall of RSV4s

tached1000rr
01-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Copy/paste of report:

Alerts DeAprilia USA alers and Owners to Pending Recall of RSV4

If you’ve already taken delivery of your Aprilia RSV4 and haven’t been contacted by your dealer, take note
January, 2010
From an Aprilia USA press release:
Aprilia Italy has announced its intent to recall a limited number of RSV4 motorcycles for engine replacement. While only a small number of production units are affected, the recall impacts all RSV4 motorcycles delivered within the U.S. market to date.

Following extensive testing and verification, the Italian manufacturer assessed that one component in a small group of engines assembled during a specific time period had failed to meet stringent factory quality standards, resulting in an unacceptable risk of future engine failures. To date, there have been no warranty claims related to this potential issue in the U.S. market. However, in line with the premium quality standards of Aprilia motorcycles and potential safety implications, the manufacturer and its dealerships are committed to immediate action to ensure complete Aprilia owner satisfaction.

To prepare for the recall in the U.S. market, Aprilia USA technical representatives are contacting each RSV4 owner to notify them of the replacement process and timeframe. To expedite the replacement, customers will be able to select from a list of Aprilia dealers who have completed RSV4 technical training. Free transportation of the RSV4 to the dealership will be provided.

Aprilia dealers were notified of the pending recall January 21, 2010. Replacement engines for all units affected are already in transit to the U.S. market and owners are in the process of being contacted. Aprilia USA is expecting to complete the engine replacement on consumer RSV4 motorcycles by the end of February 2010.

Customers with immediate questions or concerns are invited to contact their local Aprilia USA dealer.

Homeslice
01-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Not unexpected.....

I remember the recall on my 2004's swingarm due to faulty welds....

Not to mention leaky brakes, melting electrical connectors, as well as odometers that sometimes reset to 0 if the battery was disconnected...

Never buy first-year Italian :lol:

Dave
01-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Called it before failures though. Good on em'

Rangerscott
01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Yup. They could have waited till a ton of them blew up and said, "You abused your engine."

racedoll
01-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Called it before failures though. Good on em'

:dthumb:

BobTheBiker
01-24-2010, 12:57 AM
they're smart on the recall issue before failures happen. avoid the lawsuit.

Rangerscott
01-24-2010, 01:27 PM
But whole engine replacements. Wonder how many are in the US?

BobTheBiker
01-24-2010, 02:11 PM
I know of at least one guy that owns one. I gotta see it in person sometime, I hear they're DEAD SEXY.

marko138
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
I like when a manufacturer is pro-active.

Rangerscott
01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't call aprilia a big part of american sales so not doing anything would hurt them.

fnfalman
01-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Aprilia takes pride in their machines, and that means owning up to engineering/production issues. If it were a BMW, then BMW would tell the owners that they don't know what the fuck they're doing and that the bikes were fine from the factory.

Rangerscott
01-30-2010, 02:43 AM
If they're just gonna scrap these "defective" engines then I'll take one and see if it'll fit in the O' viffer.

BobTheBiker
01-30-2010, 06:08 AM
odds are, rather than scrap them, unless its a HUGE defect, they'll send them, back to italy, rebuild them with the right parts, and stock them as replacement engines.

Rangerscott
01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I'll take one to put by my front door like the rich put statues of dogs, artsy stuff, and gorillas.

marko138
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
I'll take one to put by my front door like the rich put statues of dogs, artsy stuff, and gorillas.
Absolutely.