PDA

View Full Version : Sportbike + Gravel

Crazy
05-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Well I went for a ride today, we got about 15 miles out and found that a road that we thought was paved that google maps told us to take was actually more loose gravel. I tried to take it slow but hit a real rough patch and went down. probably around 10-15 mph.

I'm PISSED!!! also. IM AN IDIOT!!!

the bike went down on the right so the pipe is rashed, the rear brake lever is bent but not broken, turn signal popped off but maybe fixable. The upper fairing is what I'm pissed off about, it got cracked on the right side below the bars, and its got a + shaped crack on the front (I guess it got hit by a rock).

DAMMIT THIS FUCKING SUCKS!

I made a noob error, the front started washing out and i didnt calm down enough to think about the logical thing to do. FUCK. pics will come i can't find the damn adapter right now.

OneSickPsycho
05-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Well I went for a ride today, we got about 15 miles out and found that a road that we thought was paved that google maps told us to take was actually more loose gravel. I tried to take it slow but hit a real rough patch and went down. probably around 10-15 mph.

I'm PISSED!!! also. IM AN IDIOT!!!

the bike went down on the right so the pipe is rashed, the rear brake lever is bent but not broken, turn signal popped off but maybe fixable. The upper fairing is what I'm pissed off about, it got cracked on the right side below the bars, and its got a + shaped crack on the front (I guess it got hit by a rock).

DAMMIT THIS FUCKING SUCKS!

I made a noob error, the front started washing out and i didnt calm down enough to think about the logical thing to do. FUCK. pics will come i can't find the damn adapter right now.

So... what did you do?

Crazy
05-03-2008, 04:22 PM
I tried to slow the bike down once I realized the front tire was slipping. I used both brakes. Theres really nothing more to it. The road was pretty decent for the most part but we came to this part where I guess someone just dumped a bunch of gravel.

Really, the whole thing was just a show of immense stupidity on my part. my buddy made it through fine.

OneSickPsycho
05-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I tried to slow the bike down once I realized the front tire was slipping. I used both brakes. Theres really nothing more to it. The road was pretty decent for the most part but we came to this part where I guess someone just dumped a bunch of gravel.

Front brake FTL.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-03-2008, 04:37 PM
sorry dude. hope ya gots insurance.

PiZdETS
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
That sucks man, at least you're allright.

Look at the bright side; now you have an excuse for investing in a full exhaust system, flush mount signals, rear sets and aftermarket fairing. :drool:

Crazy
05-03-2008, 04:54 PM
fuck insurance i got a 500 deductible. The bike runs fine, I rode it back. I was worried about the forks being bent up or something but it looks fine overall. I might get it inspected or something, but for the most part it seemed to be running okay.

my plan is to leave the upper alone for a while, basically just fix the signal (it still works, its missing a screw). The pipe I'm not so concerned about because I was actually planning on swapping it out anyways, maybe not a full system but at least slip on.
If I do decide to do something with the fairing, I'm gonna do something like this guy did (the fairing not the paint), I think it looks pretty damn good:
http://mysite.verizon.net/magpie1967/SV/SVOM-imdying.jpg (they are sharkskinz)

but eventually: fairing, slip on, HIDs, flushmounts. As money allows

marko138
05-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Shit happens. Learn from it. Glad you're ok.

Crazy
05-03-2008, 05:01 PM
thanks... yeah I definitely learned my lesson here. I overstepped my bounds and paid for it. I made it out with just a bruise on my hip. and im still picking gravel out of my jeans :lol:

Trip
05-03-2008, 05:10 PM
gravel/dirt = no front brake, pavement spirited riding = no rear brake

you live you learn, now your bike has character and you won't feel like you need to baby it anymore.

OneSickPsycho
05-03-2008, 06:35 PM

you live you learn, now your bike has character and you won't feel like you need to baby it anymore.

Exactly. GM said that to me one time when I had a close call and posted it up on the forum. The only thing that's going to rid yourself of the fear of fuckng up your rig is a bunch of scratches.

Plus, girl's vaginal gaps get sweaty when you tell them about how you were flying around the corner at 95mph and you tried to break your rear tire free so you could walk it out a little and a puppy ran out into the middle of the street... you had no choice, but to sacrifice yourself, or else Scrappy was going to bite it. Waking up to a cold wet nose in your helmet, a wagging tail slapping your arm, and the thanks from the 4 year old little girl who was playing ball with him made it all worth while.... *bow chicka bow wow*

Crazy
05-03-2008, 07:27 PM
haha OSP im definitely borrowing that story :lol:

Lamnidae
05-03-2008, 07:44 PM

agreed.

sorry ya went down.... but ya are alright and ya learned a bit....

Exactly. GM said that to me one time when I had a close call and posted it up on the forum. The only thing that's going to rid yourself of the fear of fuckng up your rig is a bunch of scratches.

Plus, girl's vaginal gaps get sweaty when you tell them about how you were flying around the corner at 95mph and you tried to break your rear tire free so you could walk it out a little and a puppy ran out into the middle of the street... you had no choice, but to sacrifice yourself, or else Scrappy was going to bite it. Waking up to a cold wet nose in your helmet, a wagging tail slapping your arm, and the thanks from the 4 year old little girl who was playing ball with him made it all worth while.... *bow chicka bow wow*

lmfao

the man knows how to put some spin on it don't he? GJ OSP!

Mr Lefty
05-03-2008, 08:24 PM
damn bro... glad your alright... sorry to hear about the bike but shit happens... don't let it stress ya out too much... scratches don't fuck with the fun factor when riding anyhow... :lol:

jalaan1
05-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Shit happens. Learn from it. Glad you're ok.

yup!

lmfao

the man knows how to put some spin on it don't he? GJ OSP!

doesn't he tho?

Crazy
05-04-2008, 11:16 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/th_100_3364.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3364.jpg)http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/th_100_3365.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3365.jpg)
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/th_100_3367.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3367.jpg)http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/th_100_3368.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3368.jpg)

So heres the damage. like i said I dont really care about the pipe I plan on replacing it in any case with a slip-on. The brake lever needs to be bent back but otherwise the brake system seems/feels okay. The bars ground a bit but otherwise are fine, nothing seems misaligned when I went for a ride. the main issue is the upper fairing. none of the plastic is actually missing, its like a puzzle and I can put it all back together. The only real problem is that the fairing mount bracket seems to have punched through as you can see in the second picture.

So anyone have any suggestions?
I dont mind a few scratches on the bike but if I can glue some pieces together so it hold up decently that would be good. I've never done this before but what I'm thinking is take off the whole upper and apply some kind of plastic cement where necessary. does this even work? do I have to "plastic weld" it?

I went for a ride today, everything is running fine. I'm missing a screw that holds the turn signal lens on but I'll replace that tomorrow so i dont need duct tape :lol:
These are after I snapped some stuff back into place. That chunk thats missing needs to be reattached somehow.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/th_100_3385.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3385.jpg)http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/th_100_3387.jpg (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f58/crazyclown1337/100_3387.jpg)

Trip
05-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Time to go naked?

You can plastic weld all that. Doesn't look like the fairing stay is bent, just looks like the upper got pushed past it.

Cutty72
05-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Frame sliders my friend, could have saved you some of that fairing damage.

I agree with trip though, you should be able to plastic weld it all.

Crazy
05-05-2008, 11:13 AM
I don't think its bad enough to ditch the upper totally. I like it anyways and really its not that noticeable, the camera flash tends to show all imperfections.

where can I get plastic welding done?

azoomm
05-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Eh, that's not bad at all... it'll buff right out :)

No rear brake on the street??!? What you talkin' about willis??!?

NONE_too_SOFT
05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
he is from the group of riders that believer there is no use for a rear brake on the road.

marko138
05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I'm not gonna lie...I used my rear brake ALOT on the Gix. On the Buell...it's doesn't do shit...so I'm just gonna stop using it.

Cutty72
05-05-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm not gonna lie...I used my rear brake ALOT on the Gix. On the Buell...it's doesn't do shit...so I'm just gonna stop using it.

:iagree:

I started using it sometimes... but realized it didn't do much, especially compared to the kick ass front.
Still tap it to flash the brake light, but that's about it.

marko138
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
:iagree:

I started using it sometimes... but realized it didn't do much, especially compared to the kick ass front.
Still tap it to flash the brake light, but that's about it.
The front brake on this this is a MONSTER. I mean...1 finger jones and that sucker is biting hard. I love it. I gotta test it's limits.

Cutty72
05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
The front brake on this this is a MONSTER. I mean...1 finger jones and that sucker is biting hard. I love it. I gotta test it's limits.

Yes... stoppies happen.

Crazy
05-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a few options for fixing it... first i could buy a cheetah racing upper fairing off ebay, 175 shipped, and have it painted. I've heard getting something painted like this is gonna be ridiculously expensive and not worth it probably. I could also replace it with the OEM part, I've found it for around 260 shipped online. so thats what I'm leaning towards right now, simplest solution by far. any suggestions???

The new pipe will probably done pretty soon, within a month if i can. I'm leaning towards yoshimura... basically my budget is 400 total, installed. I found someone willing to do the install (I'd rather not) but idk if he's trustworthy (friend of a friend). he says he'll charge labor for 1.5 hours.

whats the difference between TRS and RS3 exhaust? besides the shape, and about $15 in price... any opinions on the sound?

i didnt know I'm gonna be dropping this much cash on the bike this soon... but the pipe getting scratched up makes me really want a new exhaust.

does anyone think i can get any money from selling the cracked upper and scratched pipe?

Captain Morgan
05-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I don't think its bad enough to ditch the upper totally. I like it anyways and really its not that noticeable, the camera flash tends to show all imperfections.

where can I get plastic welding done?

Duct tape on the outside to hold it together temporarily, take off the fairing and buy some epoxy. Put it on the back, let it dry, then remove the duct tape. Wait till winter to spend money on a new fairing. ;)

Crazy
05-08-2008, 01:15 AM
well I'll have the cash to spend on it after this summer, but it certainly wouldnt hurt to try and fix it. I'll look into it this week... if I can get it fixed decently I'll just do the pipe and worry about the fairing later. I need time more than anything...

Cutty72
05-08-2008, 11:23 AM
The new pipe will probably done pretty soon, within a month if i can. I'm leaning towards yoshimura... basically my budget is 400 total, installed. I found someone willing to do the install (I'd rather not) but idk if he's trustworthy (friend of a friend). he says he'll charge labor for 1.5 hours.

whats the difference between TRS and RS3 exhaust? besides the shape, and about $15 in price... any opinions on the sound?

i didnt know I'm gonna be dropping this much cash on the bike this soon... but the pipe getting scratched up makes me really want a new exhaust.

does anyone think i can get any money from selling the cracked upper and scratched pipe?

Difference between the two:
1. shape, like you said
2. sound, very little difference, but the TRS will be a bit deeper of a rumble.

I say do the pipe yourself.
And if it takes an hour and a half, he's on crack.
I did mine myself in about 45 min, and that with searching for tools and the sawzall.

The stock pipe will not be worth anything, as you have to cut it off, so you really can't put it back on again.