Rider
02-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Bad shock/strut? :idk:

Dave
02-02-2010, 03:26 PM
cracked subframe? My shelby z had that once

BobTheBiker
02-02-2010, 03:28 PM
bent wheel or you have a U joint failing I'd suspect. its likely your issue is caused by several individual ones.

possibly a failing wheel bearing even.

anthonyk
02-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Did thirdgenlxi do the work by some chance?

t-homo
02-02-2010, 03:47 PM
http://www.pleasuremeow.com/ProductImages/triple_treat_anal_rabbit_vibrator.jpg

http://www.adultnoveltyworld.om/ClientPix/6377_Anal%20beads%20101.jpg

pauldun170
02-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Not the thread I was expecting

Truck vibrates at freeway speeds and pulls to the left. Has relatively new tires with proper pressure; recently had its wheels rebalanced and the front end aligned.

My first thought was a stuck caliper, but there is no additional reaction upon application of the brakes.

Ideas?

bad bearing\hub

the chi
02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Not the thread I was expecting

My thoughts exactly! Could it be bad alignment? Did you hit anything?

goof2
02-02-2010, 04:47 PM
bad bearing\hub

It may be this but I would have thought the shop that did the balance/alignment would have caught it. They may have fucked up the balance or alignment as well. I would bring it back, especially if it wasn't doing this before you brought it there.

azoomm
02-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Truck vibrates at freeway speeds and pulls to the left. Has relatively new tires with proper pressure; recently had its wheels rebalanced and the front end aligned.

My first thought was a stuck caliper, but there is no additional reaction upon application of the brakes.

Ideas?

I think it pulling to the left might have a problem with your arms being worked out from the bike....

:whistle:
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=12842

... feel like it's riding on flat tires?

My bike has developed a new handling peculiarity over the past two months or so. The sensation is similar to riding on tires with low air pressure. Obviously, my tires are not low, and I've experimented with a few different pressures to see if it made any difference (it didn't).

Aggressive riding is out of the question. It's very unnerving and has me waiting for the front, rear, or both to step out on me at any time.

Also, the bike falls into left turns and resists right turns.

Ideas?

anthonyk
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Did thirdgenlxi do the work by some chance?

In other words... my guess is it fell off the lift at the shop. :lol

101lifts2
02-03-2010, 12:51 AM
1. The tires you bought are junk or not balanced properly.

2. A rim is bent.

3. The drum or rotor is out of round.

4. The driveshaft weight fell off or the U-joint has slop in it.

You can turn OFF the engine while you are driving (place the transmission in N) to eliminate engine vibration. Then, move the tires front to rear to see if it helps. I had a vibration in my 85 Firebird once which turned out to be a drum.

GM dealers have an Electronic Vibration Analyzer. Based on the frequency you can tell if its coming from the engine, transmission, driveline, wheels or some other source like brakes.

CrazyKell
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I think naughty thoughts when I see the title of this thread.

BobTheBiker
02-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I think it may be the caliper after all. Gave the rotor a poke last night through the rim and melted my fingerprints off. The rotor is also unevenly gouged, perhaps beyond the point of resurfacing.

I won't have a chance to take the wheel off until this weekend. Would like to rule out the bearing before purchasing any parts.

I don't think it is rim, driveshaft, or shock-related. A significant drop in fuel mileage has accompanied the vibration; something, somewhere is dragging.

that points to a caliper sticking then.

fasternyou929
02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
I think it may be the caliper after all. Gave the rotor a poke last night through the rim and melted my fingerprints off. The rotor is also unevenly gouged, perhaps beyond the point of resurfacing.

I won't have a chance to take the wheel off until this weekend. Would like to rule out the bearing before purchasing any parts.

I don't think it is rim, driveshaft, or shock-related. A significant drop in fuel mileage has accompanied the vibration; something, somewhere is dragging.

Check brake lines for blistering. That can maintain pressre in the caliper when you release the pedal. Really deceptive when it's blistered on the inside and the outside looks fine; worth just replacing them to rule them out if the caliper doesn't appear damaged itself.

Rangerscott
02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Blown wheel bearing. Jack up wheel. Grab at 12 and 6 o clock. Shake well. Now grab at 9 and 3 o clock. Shake well again. Any movement and you need to go ahead and inspect/replace bearing/s.

101lifts2
02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Blown wheel bearing. Jack up wheel. Grab at 12 and 6 o clock. Shake well. Now grab at 9 and 3 o clock. Shake well again. Any movement and you need to go ahead and inspect/replace bearing/s.

The 9-3 checks the tire rods...the 12-6 checks the bearing.

101lifts2
02-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Should have paid more attention to this post before purchasing parts.

Installed new pads, rotor, and caliper only to have it lock right back up again upon application of the brakes. Only other cause that makes sense is an internally blistered brake hose not letting fluid return up the line.

I've been working on cars for 20 years and never heard of "blistering".

Check to make sure the foot brake is adjusted properly in that the stoplamp switch is not adjusted too tightly.

If you bleed the brake caliper, you should have seen if the fluid was moving properly.

fasternyou929
02-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I've been working on cars for 20 years and never heard of "blistering".

Funny, it HAPPENED to my car.

It was a GM. Go figure.

ETA: Link for 101. "Basic Hydraulic Components" mentions blistering :lol:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sjdDXMWhGIsC&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=brake+lines+blistered&source=bl&ots=ODpAiKkiyM&sig=hBbmiaEWvh_6spq5EqYUErZeRPw&hl=en&ei=vhdwS5_tLYjaNt2Q2dkE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

fasternyou929
02-08-2010, 09:07 AM
The lining inside the hose collapses. When you press the brake pedal, fluid can rush into the caliper, but when you let up, the lining collapses and fluid can't return up the line, maintaining pressure in the caliper.

I had never heard of that either, but when I spoke with a mechanic in the family last night, he basically restated fasternyou929's suggestion here.

Sucks you have to order parts again, but at least now you know what it is.

Just be glad yours didn't go out the way mine did. I was driving up 441 in Fort Lauderdale and hit the brakes when a pedestrian stepped from the median into the highway. When he saw me and retreated, I released the brake pedal only to have the steering wheel nearly jerked out of my hands. The left caliper maintained pressure, and to this day I'm 100% sure that poor guy things I tried to take him out.

101lifts2
02-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Funny, it HAPPENED to my car.

It was a GM. Go figure.

ETA: Link for 101. "Basic Hydraulic Components" mentions blistering :lol:

http://books.google.com/books?id=sjdDXMWhGIsC&pg=PA15&lpg=PA15&dq=brake+lines+blistered&source=bl&ots=ODpAiKkiyM&sig=hBbmiaEWvh_6spq5EqYUErZeRPw&hl=en&ei=vhdwS5_tLYjaNt2Q2dkE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBUQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

I've heard of what this describes, but it was never referred to as blistering. Usually the hose swells and collapses.

Triple, check to see if the hose collapses or swells when the brake pedal is applied and released. If it doesn't, I would be surprised if this fixes it.

fasternyou929
02-09-2010, 08:34 AM
I've heard of what this describes, but it was never referred to as blistering. Usually the hose swells and collapses.

Triple, check to see if the hose collapses or swells when the brake pedal is applied and released. If it doesn't, I would be surprised if this fixes it.

When it happened to me it was undetectable from the outside. The failure occured inside the metal reinforced line so all looked fine by visible inspection, which led me to replace the caliper only to have the same problem. I had to remove the hose and shine a flashlight inside to see the collapsed area.

101lifts2
02-10-2010, 12:40 AM
When it happened to me it was undetectable from the outside. The failure occured inside the metal reinforced line so all looked fine by visible inspection, which led me to replace the caliper only to have the same problem. I had to remove the hose and shine a flashlight inside to see the collapsed area.

When you bleed the caliper, was the fluid flow normal?

fasternyou929
02-10-2010, 12:52 AM
When you bleed the caliper, was the fluid flow normal?

Yeah, the master cylinder creates enough pressure to push fluid through the damaged/collapsed part of the hose. Visual inspection was the only way to tell (well, that or replacing everything and still having a problem).