View Full Version : Raar

azoomm
02-03-2010, 11:27 PM
I got a new truck... well, new-to-me.

2004 Ford F250 Diesel.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/azoomm/F250/FirstF250.jpg

G-Rex
02-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I like it! H2R looks a little wet! I'm guessing you haven't taken it out on the track yet. LOL

azoomm
02-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I like it! H2R looks a little wet! I'm guessing you haven't taken it out on the track yet. LOL

That's the perfect time to go on the track....

Cutty72
02-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Looks pretty clean!

Was going to give you crap for getting a 2x4, but then I remembered where you are at.

Make sure you do an EGR delete and install head studs right away if it hasn't been done.
Those are the major weak points of the 6L.
A DPF delete and tuner will really wake it up as well. I can point you in the right direction if you are looking for more info.

azoomm
02-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Looks pretty clean!

Was going to give you crap for getting a 2x4, but then I remembered where you are at.

Make sure you do an EGR delete and install head studs right away if it hasn't been done.
A DPF delete and tuner will really wake it up as well. I can point you in the right direction if you are looking for more info.

I'd love more info, thanks :)

I've had 4x4's here... they don't make sense. THIS truck is all sorts of angry - it's fantastic.

Cutty72
02-04-2010, 12:45 AM
You've got mail

Rider
02-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Cool. Looks like a 10 ft bed though.

MILK
02-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Congrats!

the chi
02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Congrats! Hubby had the 4x4 2006 and hated life when he sold it. Hope you enjoy yours as much. On tuning or whatnot, he loved his Bullydog programmer, swore by it.

karl_1052
02-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Do you put the mini in the back?

askmrjesus
02-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Couldn't find a big truck, so you had to buy that one, huh? :lol:

JC

CasterTroy
02-04-2010, 09:41 AM
Do you put the mini in the back?

I wonder how many times she heard THAT one :lmao:

Nice ride :rockwoot:

marko138
02-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Can't see the pic...but I was looking at some Fords at the Auto Show here last week. I'm not a fan of their looks.

If I bought a truck today it would be the Chevy Avalanche.

azoomm
02-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Can't see the pic...but I was looking at some Fords at the Auto Show here last week. I'm not a fan of their looks.

If I bought a truck today it would be the Chevy Avalanche.

You're not a fan of the FORD looks - but, you'd buy THAT??!? :skep:

I probably could fit the mini in the back of this beast. Yes, it's the long bed... It's my work truck for at the track. And, my daughter thinks it's going to be her first car :lol:

marko138
02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
You're not a fan of the FORD looks - but, you'd buy THAT??!? :skep:

I probably could fit the mini in the back of this beast. Yes, it's the long bed... It's my work truck for at the track. And, my daughter thinks it's going to be her first car :lol:
What can I tell ya? I dont like the Ford look. The Chevy appeals to me for a number of reasons.

Worse than the Ford looks are the Dodge Ram's.

azoomm
02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Worse than the Ford looks are the Dodge Ram's.

Agreed.

marko138
02-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Agreed.
And they just aren't good trucks. I've never met someone who liked them. Almost everyone I know that has one got rid of it for something else.

azoomm
02-04-2010, 10:04 AM
And they just aren't good trucks. I've never met someone who liked them. Almost everyone I know that has one got rid of it for something else.

From what I understand... Their diesel motors weren't bad - but the transmissions were more than shit.

marko138
02-04-2010, 10:06 AM
From what I understand... Their diesel motors weren't bad - but the transmissions were more than shit.
Typical Chrysler tranny. They were shit for a long time. The newer versions aren't bad....downright smooth almost. My Jeep is decent. It's only clunky when it's cold...once warmed up everything is good.

the chi
02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
The Dodge diesel is by far the better engine and supposedly they have repaired the tranny issue. My hubby just bought an 2009.

Adeptus_Minor
02-04-2010, 10:31 AM
. And, my daughter thinks it's going to be her first car :lol:

Tell her not to practice parking near me :lol:

Nice looking truck... too bad about it not coming with a Cummins :D

azoomm
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Tell her not to practice parking near me :lol:

Nice looking truck... too bad about it not coming with a Cummins :D

:lol: I posted the pic on facebook, she tagged herself in the cab - I moved the tag to the back tire.

It's a long ass bed, best backed into a parking space. She's working on mastering that. We're parallel parking this weekend... well, practice. If she can park this thing, she can park anything.

marko138
02-04-2010, 10:38 AM
:lol: I posted the pic on facebook, she tagged herself in the cab - I moved the tag to the back tire.

It's a long ass bed, best backed into a parking space. She's working on mastering that. We're parallel parking this weekend... well, practice. If she can park this thing, she can park anything.
I parallel parked a Lincoln Town Car on my driver test. :lol:

CrazyKell
02-04-2010, 10:40 AM
If she can park this thing, she can park anything.

You would think that but my father, who has been a truck driver all his life, could probably parallel park a big truck better than he could a little car. :lmao:

azoomm
02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
You would think that but my father, who has been a truck driver all his life, could probably parallel park a big truck better than he could a little car. :lmao:

You do have a point - when I park the Mini I have been known to not get all the way to the curb :lol: I forget how short it really is.

But, the truck? I can get that bad boy into a spot with only inches to spare.

CrazyKell
02-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm the same way. Learned to parallel on a huge ass dodge ram. Takes a bit of getting used to in a smaller car. :lmao:

defector
02-04-2010, 11:00 AM
too bad about it not coming with a Cummins :D

My perfect work truck would have the Cummins engine, Allison trans, Ford chassis/suspension, and a Chevy body parked atop it all.

marko138
02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
My perfect work truck would have the Cummins engine, Allison trans, Ford chassis/suspension, and a Chevy body parked atop it all.
Good luck. :lol:

Adeptus_Minor
02-04-2010, 11:17 AM

I was pretty good at dancing a large truck around when I had that 3/4 ton Dodge brick.
I would throw it in reverse and whip back into a parking spot with enough ease to raise a good many eyebrows.
It's definitely a skill you have to work on.

Bluestreak
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Nice F250!

I've had 4 dodges. Keep trading in for newer ones. I've had zero problems so far. They've all been 2003 or newer and they have the new 5 speed auto trannys. Chrysler fixed that problem finally.

If I were buying a new truck today, it would probably be a Ford F250. I like the looks. It also doesn't hurt to support the one american truck manufacturer that didn't take a bailout either! :D

skiergirl
02-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Cool, congrats on the new ride...

Cutty72
02-04-2010, 11:50 PM

Dodge Ram = Expensive shipping crate for a Cummins
Engine is the only thing worth keeping.

My parents have a similar pickup, but 4x4. I parallel parked it, with a 28' goose neck livestock trailer hooked up. I was impressed with myself. :)

I prefer the ford body, but Chev interior. And you can keep the Allison. JUNK. Ok stock, but can't handle more than about 400 hp without mods.

azoomm
04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
New updates.... wheels and tires, bed cover, tailgate.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/azoomm/06cff63e.jpg

Cutty72
04-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Tailgate? It didn't have one before??

Let me know you you like the hard folding tonneau cover. I personally prefer the roll up soft cover, but then again, you don't have to deal with snow and freezing! :lol:

And what wheels are those? I likey.

azoomm
04-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Had a gate for a goose neck before.

Those wheels are from tirerack for a steal! Nitto 420s

I've never liked the roll up covers, they break too easily. This one you can stand on.

Cutty72
04-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Wheels, not tires!!! :lol Not near aggressive enough rubber for me, but great for your 2X4.
I like what's inside the doughnut ;)

I don't usually walk/stand on my tonneau cover though, so that's not a big deal for me. I know the roll ups will handle the weight of wet snow as high as the cab roof though!

azoomm
04-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Wheels, not tires!!! :lol Not near aggressive enough rubber for me, but great for your 2X4.
I like what's inside the doughnut ;)

I don't usually walk/stand on my tonneau cover though, so that's not a big deal for me. I know the roll ups will handle the weight of wet snow as high as the cab roof though!

:lol: I had every intention of adding this, and got distracted by a customer call.

Ultra Magnus
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=Ultra&wheelModel=Magnus&wheelFinish=Flat+Black+Painted

101lifts2
04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Looks pretty clean!

DPFs were installed on 2007 and higher MY trucks, not 2004s. And why touch the EGR? You stand a chance of cracking the exhaust manifold due to excessive heat. Not to mention you are getting to set a P0401 DTC.

101lifts2
04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
The Dodge diesel is by far the better engine and supposedly they have repaired the tranny issue. My hubby just bought an 2009.

True...but Powerstrokes are a hit or miss.

Nice truck. I have a 2006 with a 4.2L V-6 and a 5speed manual. Thing gets like 14mpg...ugh...Let us know the fuel economy.

azoomm
04-07-2010, 08:32 PM
True...but Powerstrokes are a hit or miss.

Nice truck. I have a 2006 with a 4.2L V-6 and a 5speed manual. Thing gets like 14mpg...ugh...Let us know the fuel economy.

Right now 19.5

Particle Man
04-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Badass!

BobTheBiker
04-08-2010, 12:30 AM
Ford should have simply kept the good old 7.3 Powerstroke, those older ones are outstanding and proven workhorses, especially with the 5spd ZF transmission.

The Cummins 5.9 is and always has been a great engine. put a good transmission behind it and throw it all into an F250, you've got a rig that WILL NOT stop working.

that 250 is a nice truck, I like it.

Cutty72
04-08-2010, 07:25 AM
DPFs were installed on 2007 and higher MY trucks, not 2004s. And why touch the EGR? You stand a chance of cracking the exhaust manifold due to excessive heat. Not to mention you are getting to set a P0401 DTC.

Yeah, forgot what year she had when I typed up the fixes.

Why delete/block the EGR? Easy, it's the #1 problem causation on the 6.0L Navistar diesel engine. Second would be the injectors.
There are thousands of 6.0's with the EGR's deleted/blocked without issue. I have never seen a 6.0 that didn't have the EGR delete/blocked that hasn't had at least one EGR replaced.

Cutty72
04-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Ford should have simply kept the good old 7.3 Powerstroke, those older ones are outstanding and proven workhorses, especially with the 5spd ZF transmission.

The Cummins 5.9 is and always has been a great engine. put a good transmission behind it and throw it all into an F250, you've got a rig that WILL NOT stop working.

that 250 is a nice truck, I like it.

True story.
The 7.3 got nixed because of emissions, just like every other engine that's been dropped by a manufacturer.

As for the 5.9... yeah it's great, too bad the rest of the Dodge is just an expensive shipping crate for a great Cummins engine. :lol:

azoomm
04-08-2010, 09:12 AM
Forgot to add I've put on a Turbo timer, new hoses, new water pump. Right now looking at new bumpers....I love this truck.

z06boy
04-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I know two guys with F250's and they love them. One pulls his 29' camper to the mountains and the other guy pulls his Porsche race car to different tracks in an enclosed trailer and both have had nothing but good things to say.

One guy does have a few mods done to his and the other guy only has a Superchips tuning program installed but it makes a pretty big difference with the diesel applications.

Sean
04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Nice. I want a 1500 diesel so I get 19.5mpg too. Specifically I want the 4.5 Duramax that was developed and dropped after GM's bankruptcy, that thing would be perfect in an Avalanche or Silverado 1500.

TYEster
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Just as I was trying to avoid getting rims for my truck...

I have to go and see this. Been eyeing the ATX Series for the Titan.

azoomm
04-16-2010, 09:52 PM
New bumper

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/azoomm/131a19ab.jpg

Adeptus_Minor
04-17-2010, 12:42 AM
New bumper

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/azoomm/131a19ab.jpg

Deer protection. :dthumb:

Cutty72
04-17-2010, 11:42 AM
What brand is that Zoom? and what did it run ya? PM me if you don't want it public please.

azoomm
04-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Www.BumperDude.com

azoomm
05-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Turns out, it really IS a Ford.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b56/azoomm/094e467d.jpg

My husband did the mistake of taking it to the dealer. The plunger was cracked, and it needed an oil change. So, figured he would take it there to just get it done. Changed the oil/filter, plunger, and fuel filter. Within about 100 miles the intercooler line blows its connection. Reattached, blows again. Cleaned - thinking, the location of the line may have meant they detached it and got greasy grimy paws on it... when it built pressure it then didn't hold, so cleaned and reattached. Blows again. Fuck.

Limp home - figured it's "just" unfiltered air going into the turbo - and since we're on the pavement rather than dirt we'll check it out at home. Get home, damn truck is now only idling at 500 - rough. I call the service manager, and he sends a truck to pick it up.

I'm unhappy. Damn Dealer. Of course, I'm completely expecting him to come back with some widget that they possibly couldn't have touched that just coincidentally happened to die when they did an oil change. Of course.

the chi
05-04-2010, 11:28 AM
If they give you major crap, you can always contact Ford HQ, my mom had to do that with a crappy dealer when they swore they kept replacing the widget" and never did but still charged her almost $1000. She canceled the CC charges and they sent a letter in to the CC and got them reinstated, so watch out for that as well.

Trip
05-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Just don't buy ford shit or anything american for that matter.

azoomm
05-04-2010, 11:31 AM
If they give you major crap, you can always contact Ford HQ, my mom had to do that with a crappy dealer when they swore they kept replacing the widget" and never did but still charged her almost $1000. She canceled the CC charges and they sent a letter in to the CC and got them reinstated, so watch out for that as well.

Thanks. I don't usually go to dealers, this is reminding me why.

Rider
05-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Found
on
road
dead

There is your answer.

Trip
05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Found
on
road
dead

There is your answer.

Retarded
Initials
Definitely
Enomorously
Retarded

Rider
05-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Retarded
Initials
Definitely
Enomorously
Retarded

Damn that was a stretch. :lol

Trip
05-04-2010, 02:18 PM
not really, it's a play on delicious caek is delicious

it's /b/ so I wouldn't expect you to know.

Rider
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM
not really, it's a play on delicious caek is delicious

it's /b/ so I wouldn't expect you to know.

:?:

Cutty72
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Plunger? what is this that you speak of?

Other issue, my guess is going to be EGR cooler. Common issue on the 6.0's.

Delete that, and if they do the HG's right away, have them install ARP head studs instead of the stock bolts, then you will have a reliable pickup again.

azoomm
05-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Plunger? what is this that you speak of?

Other issue, my guess is going to be EGR cooler. Common issue on the 6.0's.

Delete that, and if they do the HG's right away, have them install ARP head studs instead of the stock bolts, then you will have a reliable pickup again.

Sorry, I missed this - I was referring to the Oil Filter Stand, one of the guys referred to it [to my husband] as a plunger.. that stuck.

Turns out, the motor ate itself. At least two injectors took out three cylinders. End result was putting in a new motor. That was the easiest repair :lol: So, now here I am with a 2004 truck with a 2006 motor that has 16,500 miles on it. It runs like a raped ape. My plan is to keep this thing until it tries to do that again - hopefully in about 200,000 miles...

dReWpY
05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
i was told that i get the car back next weekend, having them tune a high boost map and a low boost map

azoomm
05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
i was told that i get the car back next weekend, having them tune a high boost map and a low boost map

Awesome!

It took these guys 4 days. They are going to give me a program for it to see if I even want it. I told them I'm going to wait on that until my husband is back - I'll let HIM decide. I'm more interested in my new car than his truck :lol:

dReWpY
05-20-2010, 01:48 PM
what car are you getting?

i am about tired of making payments on the car and havent seen it in months and i have drove it twice... but its supposed to be bullet proof.....

Trip
05-20-2010, 02:16 PM
but its supposed to be bullet proof.....

It most likely is, but I don't think they make shit drewpy proof.

azoomm
05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
what car are you getting?

i am about tired of making payments on the car and havent seen it in months and i have drove it twice... but its supposed to be bullet proof.....

One series BMW. Ordered and will be here June 10.

shmike
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
One series BMW. Ordered and will be here June 10.

Congrats.

It's about time you went RWD. :D

101lifts2
05-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah, forgot what year she had when I typed up the fixes.

Why delete/block the EGR? Easy, it's the #1 problem causation on the 6.0L Navistar diesel engine. Second would be the injectors.
There are thousands of 6.0's with the EGR's deleted/blocked without issue. I have never seen a 6.0 that didn't have the EGR delete/blocked that hasn't had at least one EGR replaced.

And how does it not set a P0401 code?

101lifts2
05-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Sorry, I missed this - I was referring to the Oil Filter Stand, one of the guys referred to it [to my husband] as a plunger.. that stuck.

Turns out, the motor ate itself. At least two injectors took out three cylinders. End result was putting in a new motor. That was the easiest repair :lol: So, now here I am with a 2004 truck with a 2006 motor that has 16,500 miles on it. It runs like a raped ape. My plan is to keep this thing until it tries to do that again - hopefully in about 200,000 miles...

Working for a truck manufacturer....were the injectors replaced, then you needed an engine? Sometimes the techs will not tighten the injector lines down and the engine oil gets full of fuel...then runs away. OR the Charge Air Cooler becomes full of oil and melts pistons.

I wouldn't buy a diesel on a light duty truck unless you really need it or have a good warranty. How much was the engine?

Homeslice
05-20-2010, 05:01 PM
what up with the black wheels? those aftermarket, or just the base steelies?

anthonyk
05-20-2010, 05:18 PM
see post #37

azoomm
05-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Working for a truck manufacturer....were the injectors replaced, then you needed an engine? Sometimes the techs will not tighten the injector lines down and the engine oil gets full of fuel...then runs away. OR the Charge Air Cooler becomes full of oil and melts pistons.

I wouldn't buy a diesel on a light duty truck unless you really need it or have a good warranty. How much was the engine?

Engine, install, delete and program for $5K

wheels are after market, God bless tire rack.

Cutty72
05-20-2010, 10:37 PM
And how does it not set a P0401 code?

Tuners. Electronics FTW!

Engine, install, delete and program for $5K

wheels are after market, God bless tire rack.

So the EGR is deleted on the engine going in? Good! Hope it works for you!

I'm still looking for mine...

101lifts2
05-29-2010, 02:20 AM
Tuners. Electronics FTW!

So the EGR is deleted on the engine going in? Good! Hope it works for you!

I'm still looking for mine...

You would fail the Smog test here in CA (they check diesels now). If you left in the "tuner" controller you would fail the CVN (Calibration Verification Number) and if you installed the original controller, the On-board diagnostic systems would not have run and determined a Pass/Fail unless you ran the vehicle for a few days. They also check for add on components here.

The newer diesels (common rail injection) are required for OBD2 trucks to install the INJ flow rates in another on-board controller. If these do not match, you end up setting a Injector Flow Rate Calibration Error code and the Check Engine Light will be illuminated. The controller Isuzu uses is the Glow Plug Controller, so this is one step that makes the "tuner" crowd have to buy another controller. On top of it, the ECU checks the checksum of the flow rates each ignition cycle.

CARB is getting a little smarter, but I can tell them how to make it error proof so people wouldn't defeat emission control devices. :lol

Cutty72
05-29-2010, 02:59 AM
I'm not saying they would pass smog testing, but you can drive 'em just fine without codes.