PDA

View Full Version : Chose a chest/back protection setup today

ceo012384
05-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Ordered this setup today after a lot of reading and research. It's a bit pricey, but from what I can see it's the best protection and comfort you can buy.

The back protector: The VERY comprehensive tail bone coverage of the race version (which is the one I got) along with the shoulder blade coverage and CE level TWO impact rating are what sold me, along with the thin profile and spine-contour.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/catalog/knox-contour400.jpg

Chest protector: It has two sets of velcro allowing it to attach to the straps of the back protector. I actually think this might work just as well as a single back/chest unit because you can adjust the chest unit's position on the straps for optimal placement.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/image_storage/6/aa/6aae64ab81ba2c229c55eeb3efa7d565_rough.jpg

Trip
05-07-2008, 07:28 AM
Knox is definitely the way to go for back protectors. I tried on that chest protector because it works on my A* back protector as well and was really unhappy with what it protected. Where I hurt my ribs was well below it's range of coverage. I want a more expansive protector than anything I have found yet.

Rider
05-07-2008, 08:42 AM
My buddy just bought a Dainese back protector. Its very nice..

ceo012384
05-08-2008, 11:40 PM
It showed up (STG, very good service AGAIN and very fast shipping AGAIN... those guys rock). However I had it shipped out where the garage is so I haven't seen it yet. When Kat and I head out that way I'll check it out.
Knox is definitely the way to go for back protectors. I tried on that chest protector because it works on my A* back protector as well and was really unhappy with what it protected. Where I hurt my ribs was well below it's range of coverage. I want a more expansive protector than anything I have found yet.
I see your point... but I really don't think any chest protectors would fix that that are out there, like you said.

Really, broken ribs is a very common crashing injury, and I can't think of an easy way to protect them adequately while maintaining comfort and maneuverability.

ceo012384
05-14-2008, 12:40 AM
So I was able to try on the stuff with my new suit the other day.

Back protector first impressions:

Pros: This back protector is TOP NOTCH. Really comfortable, great fit, adjustability, and construction, nice and thin but still CE level 2 certified, full tailbone and shoulder blade coverage, the works.

Cons: There are two. One, they sent me the unit with camo trim, when I ordered black. Two, I found it for 100 dollars cheaper somewhere else after the order.

Chest protector first impressions:

Pros: Clever attachment method, looks like it would provide thorough protection, seems to stay in place well.

Cons: Very thick. Makes the suit fit tightly. I would need to ride for a few hours to decide if it would be uncomfortable or not.

Long story short, the back protector is awesome, the chest protector is so-so. I ordered a black race one (got the last one in my size!!!) from the 100-dollar-cheaper place (oncycles.com) and will be returning both the back and chest unit I currently have for now. I am going to try a couple other chest protectors on in person with the suit and back protector to see if they fit better. If not, I will order this one again because the quality is very good.

Here are shots of the suit fit with both on, and the fit of the items under the suit:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC02508Medium.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC02510Medium.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC02512Medium.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC02513Medium.jpg

t-homo
05-14-2008, 01:29 AM
That camo looks baller. Where did you find it super cheap?

p00kienrayray
05-14-2008, 02:50 AM
knox makes super dope protection. what catches my interest most is the tailbone protection. idk how many riders i hear about breaking their tailbones in a crash...

good come up on it. btw sounds like zipping up the 1 pc. suit over that chest protector would be a bitch...

Mr Lefty
05-14-2008, 04:26 AM
:lol: I was just about to say the camo looks gay...

marko138
05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Nice setup. I want a chest protector. I've thought about that one...but my back protector doesn't have straps.

Katherine
05-14-2008, 08:59 AM
Oooooo pretty! Damn. You didn't want me to say pretty anymore, did you? I mean you look badass!

What was that site you gave me yesterday where I might be able to get a custom back / chest protector?

ceo012384
05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
:ps:
Long story short, the back protector is awesome, the chest protector is so-so. I ordered a black race one (got the last one in my size!!!) from the 100-dollar-cheaper place (oncycles.com) and will be returning both the back and chest unit I currently have for now.

I got the last one in black and size small, but they might have the camo and/or other sizes. Make sure you get the race version if you want proper tailbone coverage. Just call them, they were very nice and shipped it yesterday.
knox makes super dope protection. what catches my interest most is the tailbone protection. idk how many riders i hear about breaking their tailbones in a crash...

good come up on it. btw sounds like zipping up the 1 pc. suit over that chest protector would be a bitch...
Exactly.... I have seen very few back protectors that offer proper tailbone coverage. Tailbone and hips and ribs are the things I see injured the most and almost no one properly protects that. I want to grab a pair of bohn impact armor shorts for hip protection.

And zipping up and getting off a 1pc is a bitch whether you have a chest protector or not :lol: although wearing underarmour or another slippery material helps, especially when you're sweaty.
Nice setup. I want a chest protector. I've thought about that one...but my back protector doesn't have straps.
I think I'm going to try a chest unit with its own strap, since like I said this one is a little thick. I might look at the astars one or the unit I'm about to talk about below...:
Oooooo pretty! Damn. You didn't want me to say pretty anymore, did you? I mean you look badass!

What was that site you gave me yesterday where I might be able to get a custom back / chest protector?
impactarmor.com .... their website is a piece of shit but their product is top notch, I've seen them in person. They have a dimension/size form you fill out and send to them... especially helpful for oddly sized people like yourself ;)

I am leaning towards getting their chest protector, especially considering it's only 30 bucks more than the knox unit and I saved 100 on the back protector...

ceo012384
05-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Wore the back protector for a couple hundred miles on a twisty ride this sunday with some dudes from a local forum. WOW... really fucking comfortable... top notch shit. Also, even when tucked in, it really does still cover the tailbone... awesome piece of gear.

Still investigating chest protector options. Looks like Knox may have updated their chest protector to be thinner and pre-contoured. I'm looking into that and a couple other brands.