PDA

View Full Version : NFL free agency

tommymac
03-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Looks like the fun has already begun.

jets trade for cromartie

peppers going to chicago

burleson signing in detroit.

Sure this is just the beginning esp with an uncapped season.

What I dont getis how teams can place tenders on their restricted freeagents why do they get to set how many or what draft picks they get for compensation.

defector
03-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I thought they can only place tenders on restricted free agents?
Unrestricted is exactly that: unrestricted = show me the $$.

I believe the tenders on restricted players are based on number of years in the league. Below six years, and they are worth a first rd pick, and above six years and they are worth a first and a third rd pick.

I think that is what they said yesterday.....

tommymac
03-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I thought they can only place tenders on restricted free agents?
Unrestricted is exactly that: unrestricted = show me the $$.

I believe the tenders on restricted players are based on number of years in the league. Below six years, and they are worth a first rd pick, and above six years and they are worth a first and a third rd pick.

I think that is what they said yesterday.....

Youre right, I need to change that, lil brain fart there :lol:

defector
03-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Now they are saying something about 4yr guys being restricted (due to no cap) next year. Apparently, you only had to have 4 yrs in the league to be allowed unrestricted status?

Stuff is confusing, for sure.

Rider
03-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Detriot also got Williams from Green Bay and will get Suh in the draft. Maybe the lions can turn it around this year........ wait, no they won't.

tommymac
03-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Detriot also got Williams from Green Bay and will get Suh in the draft. Maybe the lions can turn it around this year........ wait, no they won't.

Are the lions using a 3-4? Suh is too small to play NT in that scheme. Not sure about the other DT that will be taken up top also if he will fit in that defense.

I dont think detroit is too far off from being a better team. Stafford is developing now you got a guy to takesome pressure off megatron. They were in a few more games this year too so time will tell.

karl_1052
03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
peppers going to chicago

If there is no cap, why not keep him?:?:

tommymac
03-05-2010, 09:10 AM
If there is no cap, why not keep him?:?:

peppers wants a long term deal (closest thing to job security) so he signs a fat contract an gets x amount of guaranteed money. There may be a lockout in 2011 and no one knows whats going to happen after that, so its a gamble.

I read the steelers aretreating this like a capped year and going about buiness as usual. I sure do hate them but they are quite good at running an organization.

Rider
03-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Are the lions using a 3-4? Suh is too small to play NT in that scheme. Not sure about the other DT that will be taken up top also if he will fit in that defense.

I dont think detroit is too far off from being a better team. Stafford is developing now you got a guy to takesome pressure off megatron. They were in a few more games this year too so time will tell.

4-3

z06boy
03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Peppers redflip

tommymac
03-05-2010, 09:21 AM
4-3

Then its a good pick filling a need and good value.

Rider
03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Then its a good pick filling a need and good value.

Heck yeah, I just hope St Louis takes Bradford or Clausen.

tommymac
03-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Heck yeah, I just hope St Louis takes Bradford or Clausen.

Suh and tht other DT are supposed to be monsters ( I am skeptical of taking DT's so high) so they should wind up with one of them. the rams have alot of needs and should trade down, I just dont think anyone will want to jump up to take a DT. Its not like theres a sure fire franchise QB comming out this year.

Rider
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Suh and tht other DT are supposed to be monsters ( I am skeptical of taking DT's so high) so they should wind up with one of them. the rams have alot of needs and should trade down, I just dont think anyone will want to jump up to take a DT. Its not like theres a sure fire franchise QB comming out this year.

Well the Lions already have Stafford so they don't need a QB. D and O lines are where they need the most help. Might as well get a play maker like Suh when you have a chance. He won't be there in the second round.

tommymac
03-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Well the Lions already have Stafford so they don't need a QB. D and O lines are where they need the most help. Might as well get a play maker like Suh when you have a chance. He won't be there in the second round.

This is a deep draft for lineman esp on the interior so they should get a playmaker in the second round too.

z06boy
03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Suh and tht other DT are supposed to be monsters

Suh IS a monster.

karl_1052
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
peppers wants a long term deal (closest thing to job security) so he signs a fat contract an gets x amount of guaranteed money. There may be a lockout in 2011 and no one knows whats going to happen after that, so its a gamble.

I read the steelers aretreating this like a capped year and going about buiness as usual. I sure do hate them but they are quite good at running an organization.

I remember commentators saying he could make $22M this year if he stayed.

How does a lockout/strile affect salaries? Do they get paid for that year?

tommymac
03-05-2010, 11:44 AM
I remember commentators saying he could make $22M this year if he stayed.

How does a lockout/strile affect salaries? Do they get paid for that year?

They dont get paid while out of work, but no one knows what the cap situation will be like going forward from there.

defector
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM

This is what any smart team should do.

Back to the OT, I noticed that for restricted players, the current team has like 10 days to match any contract offered. Is there anything to keep the original team from stalling for 10 days on the contract match? You could really screw a team wanting one of your restricted players. They would have to set that $ aside for that player (assuming you get them, otherwise why offer a contract), and then if you wait 10 days to match, they lose out on 10 days (potentially) of other free agent player negotiations.

tommymac
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
This is what any smart team should do.

Back to the OT, I noticed that for restricted players, the current team has like 10 days to match any contract offered. Is there anything to keep the original team from stalling for 10 days on the contract match? You could really screw a team wanting one of your restricted players. They would have to set that $ aside for that player (assuming you get them, otherwise why offer a contract), and then if you wait 10 days to match, they lose out on 10 days (potentially) of other free agent player negotiations.

I thought it was 7 days, and I think a team prety much has to make a decision in that time. Some teams can screw with you by making a ridiculous offer, so either you risk loosing that player or you have to match that contract.

The edmonton oilers did it to the sabres with thomas vanek a few yrs ago.

I would think most teams already more or less know what price they will pay for a restricted FA vs letting him go. Plus teams place a lot of value on draft picks so theyre not all that willing to part with them.

defector
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I thought it was 7 days, and I think a team prety much has to make a decision in that time. Some teams can screw with you by making a ridiculous offer, so either you risk loosing that player or you have to match that contract.

The edmonton oilers did it to the sabres with thomas vanek a few yrs ago.

I would think most teams already more or less know what price they will pay for a restricted FA vs letting him go. Plus teams place a lot of value on draft picks so theyre not all that willing to part with them.

Maybe it is 7...hell I don't know. :lol

Just heard that it can go both ways - Steve Hutchinson had some ridiculous thing in his contract offer. I will post it when I can confirm it.

tommymac
03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Detroit landed vanden bosch from tenn. That should be a good short term plan to shore up the d-line

tached1000rr
03-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Detroit landed vanden bosch from tenn. That should be a good short term plan to shore up the d-line

yep, and I say add Suh to the d-line too and let Bosch mentor him.

tommymac
03-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Brady Quinn to the broncos, interesting trade. Wonder if he is now a career back up or may get a chance as a starter.

tached1000rr
03-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Brady Quinn to the broncos, interesting trade. Wonder if he is now a career back up or may get a chance as a starter.

wow, had not heard that.

tommymac
03-14-2010, 06:32 PM
wow, had not heard that.

just saw it on espn.com guess holmgren is realy cleaning house

tached1000rr
03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm still waiting to hear where LT lands....

tommymac
03-14-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm still waiting to hear where LT lands....

Seems like the jets from wat the locals are saying but obviously theyre biased :lol:

tommymac
03-14-2010, 06:42 PM
fack I guess its true

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4994748

tached1000rr
03-14-2010, 06:48 PM
What do yall think about the Browns signing Delhomme? As a panthers fan I'm glad to see him go.

tommymac
03-14-2010, 06:51 PM
What do yall think about the Browns signing Delhomme? As a panthers fan I'm glad to see him go.

good move, get a young QB and let him develop, holmgren knows a thing or 2 about qb's ;)

Rider
03-15-2010, 08:26 AM

Bring back Chris Wienke. :lol

goof2
03-15-2010, 09:49 AM
good move, get a young QB and let him develop, holmgren knows a thing or 2 about qb's ;)

Delhomme isn't a young QB. He is 35 and this will be his 13th year in the league.

tached1000rr
03-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Bring back Chris Wienke. :lol

only if it's to dry off the footballs with a towel:lol

tommymac
03-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Delhomme isn't a young QB. He is 35 and this will be his 13th year in the league.

Well duh :lol: delhome is just a stogap for now. I can see holmgren either drafting a qb this year or next. Clausen or Bradford may be around when they pick. Or if they realy shit the bed this year they may be in position to grab that kid from washington next year. I do like how holmgren has kinda cleaned house this year and will prolly continue by firing mangini next year ;)

goof2
03-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Well duh :lol: delhome is just a stogap for now. I can see holmgren either drafting a qb this year or next. Clausen or Bradford may be around when they pick. Or if they realy shit the bed this year they may be in position to grab that kid from washington next year. I do like how holmgren has kinda cleaned house this year and will prolly continue by firing mangini next year ;)

I wasn't sure what you were saying.

tommymac
03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I wasn't sure what you were saying.

Holmgren has some sort of grand plan, prolly a bit of an ego too after taing 2 different teams to the super bowl.

With everything their fans hae been through its about time that team started having some success. May take a year or 2 but I think he wll turn them around