PDA

View Full Version : rear brake eating up rotor

p00kienrayray
05-11-2008, 04:05 AM
I checked my rear brake rotor today and I found grooves on the outside, while the inside is fine. I look at the pads, there's a good amount and they're even on both sides. I haven't had time to take the calipers off to look at it, but any ideas of cause before I start on anything?
btw the front rotors are fine and I use the fronts more than the rear anyways.

Dnyce
05-12-2008, 02:41 AM
big grooves or lil ones? its just two bolts, yank the caliper and check it out. pads mite be grooved too.

mine looks flat, but if you run your finger over it, its not perfectly smooth. works fine tho

Gas Man
05-12-2008, 03:12 AM
welcome to semi metalic pads.

But check the slide pins. They dry out and don't allow the pads to properly slide when being pushed in by normally 4 piston calipers.

p00kienrayray
05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I called the service department at the local Suzuki dealer just to ask them about it before I work on it. He said because of the semi metallic pads, some grooves are normal depending on the depth and it shouldn't affect anything. He also said he'd check it out so I'm gonna take it in today.
btw I checked it again today and there are grooves on both sides of the rotor.
I'd say they're not too deep, but there's a shit load of them.

No Worries
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
It used to be if you could snag a fingernail on a groove, it had to be ground down. If you don't like the grooves, you may be able to wet sand them with some 400 grit sandpaper. Then switch to organic pads like EBC: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/mb-streetbikes.html. They might be GG-rated, but that's OK for the rear. Stick to HH-rated for the front.

p00kienrayray
05-12-2008, 10:17 PM
took it in today, service guy said its nothing to worry about and showed other bikes in the shop that had the same issue. I was just tripping cuz I had so much pad. Even if there was something wrong my warranty would cover it.

Phenix_Rider
05-12-2008, 10:45 PM
took it in today, service guy said its nothing to worry about and showed other bikes in the shop that had the same issue. I was just tripping cuz I had so much pad. Even if there was something wrong my warranty would cover it.

Doubt it. Brakes are a wear item- no warranty I've heard of covers wear items like chains, sprockets, tires, etc.

p00kienrayray
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
if its wear then of course its not covered. But I have a lot of pad left and at 5k mi. So I was thinking it was defect. My extended warranty says they'll cover defective rotors or calipers.
Extended warranty ftw!