PDA

View Full Version : A little suspension set up

marko138
05-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I did a quasi-suspension dial in yesterday. First time I've ever messed with suspension. After reading the XB owners manual and the Service manual...I felt confident enough to tweak it a bit.

The previous owner was considerably lighter than me. And the Buell seemed a little harsh over rough pavement.

I figured out that he had the bike set up for a 160 lb rider. I am NOT 160. So I dialed in a little preload. Haven't really got to give it the berries yet but the bike felt better to me. I might dabble with just a touch of compression too...after I can give it a proper shake down.

The bottom line is this: If your bike has a fully adjustable suspension....learn how to adjust it. Just setting it up for your weight is gonna make a big difference.

Trip
05-12-2008, 09:41 AM
If you can get a pro tech to teach all the better, I get mine set by a local for pretty cheap. It does wonders to performance. One of the best mods you can do to a bike.

DLIT
05-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Yup, adjust it. I got mine adjusted for the first time ever last track day and I immediately cut my personnal best the next session out.

dReWpY
05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
trip u must put me in touch with said susupension tech

Trip
05-12-2008, 01:25 PM
trip u must put me in touch with said susupension tech

He is not in business right now because he is going to the sandbox, you have already talked to him. You can always go to wheeler too.

Captain Morgan
05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
The bottom line is this: If your bike has a fully adjustable suspension....learn how to adjust it. Just setting it up for your weight is gonna make a big difference.

There's a book out there... 101 Sportbike tips and tricks (or modifications, or something or another) that has a step-by-step for setting up your suspension. Plus, it has another 100 tips and is well worth the money.

Mule
05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I did a quasi-suspension dial in yesterday. First time I've ever messed with suspension. After reading the XB owners manual and the Service manual...I felt confident enough to tweak it a bit.

The previous owner was considerably lighter than me. And the Buell seemed a little harsh over rough pavement.

I figured out that he had the bike set up for a 160 lb rider. I am NOT 160. So I dialed in a little preload. Haven't really got to give it the berries yet but the bike felt better to me. I might dabble with just a touch of compression too...after I can give it a proper shake down.

Good deal, bro....

By far one of the best things you can do to start off....and the simplicity of the Buell machines makes it a cinch for adjustment (provided you have a shop manual).

pickle.of.doom
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Yer fucked marko...

You need to actually socialize with 2 other people (in person) long enough to get them to help you set your sag :lol:

dReWpY
05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
He is not in business right now because he is going to the sandbox, you have already talked to him. You can always go to wheeler too.

i was hoping you werent talking about him, i need to find someone to check the valves here shortly before the trackday too.... when does he leave? more so i can wish him luck then anything, ill get ahold of wheeler in june when i move down about the bike

Trip
05-12-2008, 01:53 PM
He is no longer working on bikes. Yer fucked when it comes to him.

dReWpY
05-12-2008, 01:54 PM
i figured as much, there is more to life then bikes, esp when your number comes up to goto the 'box

marko138
05-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Good deal, bro....

By far one of the best things you can do to start off....and the simplicity of the Buell machines makes it a cinch for adjustment (provided you have a shop manual).

I do...and you're right.

Yer fucked marko...

You need to actually socialize with 2 other people (in person) long enough to get them to help you set your sag :lol:

Got that covered.:rockout:

jalaan1
05-12-2008, 02:40 PM
good stuff.

:twfix:

ceo012384
05-14-2008, 12:07 AM
It makes a huge difference to have someone who knows this shit tweak a couple setscrews for you.

The only thing I'm fearing is that mine is set up for NH, which is extremely different from all other tracks. I've heard that some racers used to have two sets of forks... one for all the tracks, and just tweak the settings.... another for NH with diff internals/valves.

I'll have to get it set up very diff when I go to Jennings.

marko138
05-14-2008, 08:41 AM
It makes a huge difference to have someone who knows this shit tweak a couple setscrews for you.

The only thing I'm fearing is that mine is set up for NH, which is extremely different from all other tracks. I've heard that some racers used to have two sets of forks... one for all the tracks, and just tweak the settings.... another for NH with diff internals/valves.

This is a great reason to learn to do it yourself....

ceo012384
05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
This is a great reason to learn to do it yourself....
Well, I know the basics... the adjustments, and what they do in general.

What I meant was a suspension Guru, someone who REALLY knows their shit. Someone who knows what characteristics a given track has and how to tweak your settings to match them. Someone who you can say to them "oh I feel like the front is pushing a little bit in turn 2" and they will turn a few screws and help to reduce the problem. That kind of guy... who is neither you nor me. Having them push on your forks a bit and turn a few knobs really can make a big difference.

marko138
05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, I know the basics... the adjustments, and what they do in general.

What I meant was a suspension Guru, someone who REALLY knows their shit. Someone who knows what characteristics a given track has and how to tweak your settings to match them. Someone who you can say to them "oh I feel like the front is pushing a little bit in turn 2" and they will turn a few screws and help to reduce the problem. That kind of guy... who is neither you nor me. Having them push on your forks a bit and turn a few knobs really can make a big difference.
No doubt. Only 1 way to learn though, holmes.

ceo012384
05-14-2008, 06:08 PM
No doubt. Only 1 way to learn though, holmes.
True... there are a couple more ways to learn though: seminars and books. The guy who owns the GMD computrack around here sometimes gives seminars on suspension and such, and does little demos on fork servicing, all for free. Then there are courses/seminars you can take through racetech and such, but they are expensive.

DLIT
05-14-2008, 07:01 PM

Suspension techs know how to readjust an already adjusted suspension. They'll just go to full hard or full soft and adjust from there for whatever track you're at. Since you're not racing, the settings they'll give ya should be good to go. And if not, they'll tweak it more throughout the day.

Amber Lamps
05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
True... there are a couple more ways to learn though: seminars and books. The guy who owns the GMD computrack around here sometimes gives seminars on suspension and such, and does little demos on fork servicing, all for free. Then there are courses/seminars you can take through racetech and such, but they are expensive.

GMD Computrak FTW! I've only had the means to use them once. I had to take my bike ('01 GSXR) to Chicago and stay the night but WOW what a difference!

Hey,I used to have suspension settings from Sportbike Mag in my comp before the hard drive crash. I would have sworn it was one of you guys who posted it.

dReWpY
05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
it was, i remember seeing said doc... will look later...

Cutty72
05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Good deal, bro....

I wish they made a shop manual for my bike. :cry:

The track is offering a school, 2 students per one race proven instructor.
He gives class time, and follows you on the track to give tips, as well as helping set up suspension, improve body position, and finding the right line.
Half day of class and a full track day for $265

Amber Lamps
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
aha,maybe...http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street_bike_suspension_settings/index.html

ceo012384
05-15-2008, 12:21 PM
GMD Computrak FTW! I've only had the means to use them once. I had to take my bike ('01 GSXR) to Chicago and stay the night but WOW what a difference!
Yeah those dudes really know their shit. And I think they merged with racetech, I might be wrong though.
The track is offering a school, 2 students per one race proven instructor.
He gives class time, and follows you on the track to give tips, as well as helping set up suspension, improve body position, and finding the right line.
That's an awesome deal. You'd be an idiot not to do it!
aha,maybe...http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street_bike_suspension_settings/index.html
That list sucks, my bike isn't on it :lol:

Also, shouldn't there be columns for a high and low speed comp/damp on there for the bikes that have it? Mine has high/low speed adjustments methinks.

Amber Lamps
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Well SORRRRRYYYY your highness! Yeesh! Yea,I pulled that from the old site. That's how I found out about the pm. If I find anything else,I'll let you know.

No Worries
05-15-2008, 07:06 PM
...The track is offering a school, 2 students per one race proven instructor.

Sounds good. Buy a book like Total Control by Lee Parks, and you'll be way ahead in the class.