PDA

View Full Version : Letting the 500 go...

1hottbikechic
05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Today the new owners of my Ninja 500 are coming to pick her up! I just got done giving her a sweet bath and getting her all ready!! It'll be sad to see her go being my first bike ever... but time for bigger and better things!! :)

Trip
05-13-2008, 04:33 PM
no matter the bike, it's always see one go. Especially your first. What are you getting next?

Cutty72
05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Congrats on the sale!
That's why I kept my first one... kinda.

p00kienrayray
05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
breakups are always hard. Sometimes u just gotta tell ur bike "its not u, its me."

Trip
05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
breakups are always hard. Sometimes u just gotta tell ur bike "its not u, its me."

I have always wanted to tell a girl that, but never got around to it.

p00kienrayray
05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
I have always wanted to tell a girl that, but never got around to it.

I just don't phone em. It ALWAYS work.

Mr Lefty
05-13-2008, 05:27 PM

I've used the... it's not me it's you... line before... :lol: caught her by surprise... it was funny to watch her try to figure it out for a couple minutes... then be like... you said it wrong... I was like... no... no i didn't... and walked away :lol:

p00kienrayray
05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
haha that's great she mustve felt real stupid. I just stick to ignoring them, its just easier u know? LOL

NONE_too_SOFT
05-13-2008, 09:15 PM
yea, i gotta get me a girlfriend before i try to break up with anybody. it seems i repell commitment very strongly.

Trip
05-13-2008, 09:20 PM
I just don't phone em. It ALWAYS work.

I have done the ignore thing before, it does work everytime. Had it done to me, pretty easy to get the point of it.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-13-2008, 09:28 PM
that shit annoys me. I've been ignored on numerous occasions and it just makes me want to bust some doors down.

Trip
05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
The worst for me is when I was asked if I would like to be seperated from Captain Winkie.

Mr Lefty
05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
that shit annoys me. I've been ignored on numerous occasions and it just makes me want to bust some doors down.

same here... if it's a relationship... quit being a spineless bitch and say it's over... how the fuck do I know if your ignoring me isn't just you wanting more attention (had this happen a couple times)

if it's just a casual thing... then ingnoring can work

Smittie61984
05-13-2008, 09:43 PM
I just wait for the restraining order. That's when you know it is over.

I hated to see my 1st bike go (Yamaha SecaII). The worste part is it was sold to a friend who sold it to his friend who wrecked it test riding it. Then sold it to some 5'5" 400lb man who wrecked it twice after that. Still runs though and always sounded badass(Though it was slow as hell). Just hate seeing your baby abused. I'd rather it get sold far far away from me.

If I ever sell my F3 it will be out of state. I'll drive it to you for free. Just don't let me see you on it. I've worked extremely hard on this bike and put a lot of hours into getting it right.

dReWpY
05-13-2008, 09:47 PM
it was nice seeing the 636 going to track junkie they take care of them

Trip
05-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I just wait for the restraining order. That's when you know it is over.

I hated to see my 1st bike go (Yamaha SecaII). The worste part is it was sold to a friend who sold it to his friend who wrecked it test riding it. Then sold it to some 5'5" 400lb man who wrecked it twice after that. Still runs though and always sounded badass(Though it was slow as hell). Just hate seeing your baby abused. I'd rather it get sold far far away from me.

If I ever sell my F3 it will be out of state. I'll drive it to you for free. Just don't let me see you on it. I've worked extremely hard on this bike and put a lot of hours into getting it right.

upshift or full throttle saw my old baby at Southern Powersports, they said it was wrecked. Made me a little sad.

1hottbikechic
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah it was sad, we just got done dropping her off... she went to a girl my age who has rode dirt bikes her whole life... her dad bought it for her (wasnt that nice :whistle:)

I'm not sure, the bike was already paid off, so now I've got a nice 3k deposit to put down on something fun.... I think once I get home from the Rod run this weekend at the beach I'm going to go sit on a few things and see what I like....

I was always a Suzuki girl at heart before the ninja came along as a good deal I couldn't trade up... but now I love ninja's so maybe a used 636... who knows!! Thanks for all the break up advice, I can say with certainty that this is probably the easiest and most clean break up and hey I came out $3000k ahead!!!! :) haha

ceo012384
05-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the break up advice, I can say with certainty that this is probably the easiest and most clean break up and hey I came out $3000k ahead!!!! :) haha
Shit I need to have some breakups like that :lol:

Mine usually involve arguments and some stalking.

Rider
05-14-2008, 07:32 AM
The easiest way to break up is sleep with her friend and intentionally get caught. It's pretty much over with at that point and you don't have to say a word.

itgirl
05-14-2008, 07:56 AM
i never look back. my previous bikes were just mere stepping stones to the greatness of today. :) cold hearted, aren't i?

Katherine
05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Keep us posted on what you choose, 1HBC. May I suggest a beautiful Honda CBR 600RR? From what Trip says, they're kinda nice.

itgirl
05-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Keep us posted on what you choose, 1HBC. May I suggest a beautiful Honda CBR 600RR? From what Trip says, they're kinda nice.

nah. i think she got it right with the 'used 636' i dea. ;) kawgirls FTW!!

marko138
05-14-2008, 08:48 AM
The easiest way to break up is sleep with her friend and intentionally get caught. It's pretty much over with at that point and you don't have to say a word.

:lol: Nice tactic.

Rider
05-14-2008, 09:05 AM
:lol: Nice tactic.

I'm a son of a bitch... I know... :lol:

marko138
05-14-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm a son of a bitch... I know... :lol:
I didn't say that. I will say you use very practical methods.

ceo012384
05-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Or her mom, per your avatar.

edit: this is only a viable tactic if her mom is hot.

Rider
05-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Or her mom, per your avatar.

edit: this is only a viable tactic if her mom is hot.

That goes without saying.

Gas Man
05-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Yeah its sad to see them go... especially when they go this way.... from Michigan crap weather to the sunshine state

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/ZX9R/byebye004.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/ZX9R/byebye016.jpg

p00kienrayray
05-14-2008, 10:58 PM

thats kinda what makes it fun...

Mr Lefty
05-14-2008, 11:00 PM
untill they go psycho

p00kienrayray
05-14-2008, 11:30 PM
untill they go psycho

true that. man i was so paranoid about some girl, i was thinking about putting a restraining order on her. she said "i'll get you back 5 times harder"
i always watched where i parked and even told my family to watch their back.

turned out the worst thing she did was have some dudes prank call me. lol...
but i still watch my back :leaving:

1hottbikechic
05-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I've been in a relationship before where I left the guy, told him it was over and gave him his stuff back (he had practically moved in) and as I was driving away form his house he got in his car and chased me down... I ended up having to pull off the road because he was honking and flashing his lights so frantically I didnt want to wreck... He then pratically broke my window to say I couldnt leave him... pathetic really.

Trip
05-15-2008, 09:01 PM
I've been in a relationship before where I left the guy, told him it was over and gave him his stuff back (he had practically moved in) and as I was driving away form his house he got in his car and chased me down... I ended up having to pull off the road because he was honking and flashing his lights so frantically I didnt want to wreck... He then pratically broke my window to say I couldnt leave him... pathetic really.

cray z mo fo

1hottbikechic
05-15-2008, 09:12 PM
cray z mo fo

Amen.... silly psychos!!!

ceo012384
05-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Man you must give great head... :leaving:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Man you must give great head... :leaving:

or have a cotton candly flavored vag.

lets be honest, pretty much everything about relationships is pathetic. But when you've got somebody to share it with, its worth being pathetic together.

Trip
05-15-2008, 10:35 PM

:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:

ceo012384
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Or both. Shit with both, I'd chase her down the street too :lol:

1hottbikechic
05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Haha.. well an update on this thread... (yeah I found a guy that isnt pathetic) not yet atleast... so we'll see how that goes. I'm not getting married tomorrow and I like it that way just fine.

In regards to bike shopping I'm heading out today!! Any input would be appreciated anything a 600cc size!! :)

NONE_too_SOFT
05-19-2008, 10:56 AM
go with your gut. dont buy the first thing you see, look it over good, and when you think you've looked it over good, have another look at it.

the chi
05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Before I can reasonably offer any advice or assistance, I first need to ask you this:

Did you ever actually ride the 500 before selling it? More than around the block or so?

Not trying to get your back up, I ask only because last year when you bought it you yourself stated you were selling it after only a few months because you never rode it, never had time, and didnt foresee having that time and being able to anytime in the near future...and since we havent heard much from you till recently I wasnt sure what you had been up to lately as far as learning to ride and such and before I would offer any tips or help its usually much more helpful to know skill levels and ability.

neebelung
05-19-2008, 11:44 AM
...before I would offer any tips or help its usually much more helpful to know skill levels and ability.

Very good points, Rae. Very hard to offer solid advice without knowing the full background.

1hottbikechic
05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for checking in Rae and Nee... I actually put about 500-1000 miles on the bike myself... mainly beach trips but for me that is some good riding. It was mainly trip rides, not alot of in town, unless it was pretty day and I had to get to school or something. Only downed the bike once and that was in the first two weeks of owning it on a low speed turn. I felt pretty confident on the bike to the point I was starting to get bored. Thats when the boyfriend (who taught me how to ride) said maybe consider upgrading, nothing much bigger but a used 600.

the chi
05-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for checking in Rae and Nee... I actually put about 500-1000 miles on the bike myself... mainly beach trips but for me that is some good riding. It was mainly trip rides, not alot of in town, unless it was pretty day and I had to get to school or something. Only downed the bike once and that was in the first two weeks of owning it on a low speed turn. I felt pretty confident on the bike to the point I was starting to get bored. Thats when the boyfriend (who taught me how to ride) said maybe consider upgrading, nothing much bigger but a used 600.

What kinda riding you planning on doing?

neebelung
05-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Thats when the boyfriend (who taught me how to ride) said maybe consider upgrading, nothing much bigger but a used 600.

Well with only 500-1000 miles on it, I think he was wayyy premature in making that suggestion, but since it's already sold, not much ya can do about it now. :D

the chi
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Well with only 500-1000 miles on it, I think he was wayyy premature in making that suggestion, but since it's already sold, not much ya can do about it now. :D

I endorse this statement 100%...as for new bike...perhaps a gixxer would be a good choice...but im biased like that!!

Rider
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Wow, I think you're ready for a Busa now... :wtfru:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-19-2008, 01:10 PM
we gonna get into another one of these discussions? doesnt seem like she plans on doing much more than cruising on it, so whats the deal? She'll get a 600, cruise around on it for a bit, get used to it, and either 1 of 2 things will happen. She'll never ride again after she drops it or lowsides doing something silly, or she'll love it and get more serious about riding.

Either way is better than her keeping a perfectly good 500 in the garage thats not being used, when it could be put to good use in somebody elses stable.

neebelung
05-19-2008, 01:22 PM
we gonna get into another one of these discussions?

What, are we supposed to lie and say "Oh that's a great idea!!! You're right, if you're bored, go ahead and get something bigger, even though you've got limited experience on the bike you had.... you'll be just fine."

She posted a question, and we're giving honest feedback... where's the crime in that?

NONE_too_SOFT
05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
What, are we supposed to lie and say "Oh that's a great idea!!! You're right, if you're bored, go ahead and get something bigger, even though you've got limited experience on the bike you had.... you'll be just fine."

She posted a question, and we're giving honest feedback... where's the crime in that?

chill nee, she asked for suggestions on buying a bike, not on which type of bike to buy. she's been around the block enough times to know how we roll here. Plus shes not going to buy another 500 anyways.

go search for OTB's used bike buying guide, lots of good info there 1hbc.

neebelung
05-19-2008, 01:47 PM
chill nee, she asked for suggestions on buying a bike, not on which type of bike to buy. she's been around the block enough times to know how we roll here. Plus shes not going to buy another 500 anyways.

Oh fuck off, wouldja? :lol: You're right, she HAS been around here a long time, which is why I think we're all comfortable in being honest with her, knowing she won't take it the wrong way.

Trip
05-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I am not against a 600 as a beginner bike. It doesn't have as much low end grunt as a lot of bikes, so if you approach the bike with the right frame of thought, you can learn to ride on them. She seems to have a level head from internet posts, I think she will be fine. Plus she has the advantage of not having male ego.

neebelung
05-19-2008, 01:53 PM
Plus she has the advantage of not having male ego.

THAT I completely agree with. :dthumb:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-19-2008, 01:58 PM
THAT I completely agree with. :dthumb:

i think we can all find common ground with that comment.

neebelung
05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
i think we can all find common ground with that comment.

:D Let's all hold hands by the campfire now and sing Kum by Yah. ;)

Rider
05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
:D Let's all hold hands by the campfire now and sing Kum by Yah. ;)

Lets not and say we did...

neebelung
05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Lets not and say we did...

:rockwoot: Oh c'mon... you know you want to. :lol:

1hottbikechic
05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Haha.. I know I'm not STARTING on a 600... I had a 500 for a year, put about 1000 miles on it, and have a huge backround in dirtbikes and four wheelers. If I had NEVER had experience on any type of bike I could understand why you all would say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Squid.

Now I'm looking at geting a used 600, I was asking for advice about them, what people liked, what they didnt like, etc. I ride mostly to school and back and thats a pretty decent longer scenic ride.

neebelung
05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Haha.. I know I'm not STARTING on a 600... I had a 500 for a year, put about 1000 miles on it, and have a huge backround in dirtbikes and four wheelers. If I had NEVER had experience on any type of bike I could understand why you all would say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Squid.

Now I'm looking at geting a used 600, I was asking for advice about them, what people liked, what they didnt like, etc. I ride mostly to school and back and thats a pretty decent longer scenic ride.

Nah, we're not callin ya a squid; we're just lookin out for ya. :D

I'd say look for an SV or the Ninja 650 (and if you don't like naked bikes, the SV does have a full fairing kit you can get). They're good and comfy and just a good all around bike (esp the SV, in my opinion), since you're not out carvin canyons or anything like that.

And the F4i would be a good one as well, though I can't recall if they're a bit heavy for their size.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-19-2008, 02:19 PM

F3 F4 F4i route. comfortable bike, easy to commute with, but still a quick little thing. its a little lower than the race replicas, a little tamer, but it still gets the job done and then some.

you can pick up an older f3 for about what you sold your 500 for.

1hottbikechic
05-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeha I'm definitely not looking for speed, which is why I'm looking at getting a used one, I dont want anything new for the fact the newer bikes are hardcore... and pretty quick. I've heard alot of great things about the SV's I will have to check them out!!

My best just picked up a new Ninja 250, and its a sweet little ride and she doesnt like it so I'm going to take that off her hands as well to play on...

neebelung
05-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeha I'm definitely not looking for speed, which is why I'm looking at getting a used one, I dont want anything new for the fact the newer bikes are hardcore... and pretty quick. I've heard alot of great things about the SV's I will have to check them out!!

My best just picked up a new Ninja 250, and its a sweet little ride and she doesnt like it so I'm going to take that off her hands as well to play on...

Even though it's smaller in CC's than your 500 was, that little 250 is FUN. So light, it handles really nicely, and LOOKS hella better than any previous 250 or 500. :lol:

1hottbikechic
05-19-2008, 04:39 PM
Even though it's smaller in CC's than your 500 was, that little 250 is FUN. So light, it handles really nicely, and LOOKS hella better than any previous 250 or 500. :lol:

Yeah I rode it home for her when she got it and she doesnt like it at all... it such a light bike I cant get over the way it handles.... it'll be one for play when I'm not going on long rides... its so cheap too!!

neebelung
05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah I rode it home for her when she got it and she doesnt like it at all... it such a light bike I cant get over the way it handles.... it'll be one for play when I'm not going on long rides... its so cheap too!!

Yeah it'd be fun for places with a LOT of curves, but no straightaways (cus in the straightaway, you'd get left behind, without a doubt). But I you just THINK about leaning, and you're over... I loved it.

Gas Man
05-20-2008, 07:42 AM
This thread amazes me in soooo many ways... I won't even begin to get into it... just WOW.

neebelung
05-20-2008, 08:32 AM
This thread amazes me in soooo many ways... I won't even begin to get into it... just WOW.

Oh c'mon.... we don't hold back around here. Speak your mind. We could use some of your wisdom here. :D

NeonspeedRT
05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Oh c'mon.... we don't hold back around here. Speak your mind. We could use some of your wisdom here. :D

:jerry:

Gas Man
05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Man... I don't know... it hurts... it hurts... I can hold it back... OH FUCK my tongue....

neebelung
05-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Man... I don't know... it hurts... it hurts... I can hold it back... OH FUCK my tongue....

C'mon, let it out before your brain explodes like a pigeon!

1hottbikechic
05-20-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm looking ONLY for advice about 600's what people like and dislike, if we can contribute to that I'd love to hear what you have to say... :dthumb:

neebelung
05-20-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm looking ONLY for advice about 600's what people like and dislike, if we can contribute to that I'd love to hear what you have to say... :dthumb:

:lol: whoah... telling an Admin what he can and can't contribute to a thread? Isn't that crossin the line a bit there?

Pass the popcorn! this could get fun!!

NeonspeedRT
05-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Today the new owners of my Ninja 500 are coming to pick her up! I just got done giving her a sweet bath and getting her all ready!! It'll be sad to see her go being my first bike ever... but time for bigger and better things!! :)

Haha.. well an update on this thread... In regards to bike shopping I'm heading out today!! Any input would be appreciated anything a 600cc size!! :)

I'm not sure, the bike was already paid off, so now I've got a nice 3k deposit to put down on something fun....

Yeha I'm definitely not looking for speed, which is why I'm looking at getting a used one, I dont want anything new for the fact the newer bikes are hardcore... and pretty quick.

First things first. This is a public internet forum. So you will get off topic posts, you will get people answering questions you didn't ask, and you will get people answering the question you asked as well. So don't get offended by people trying to give you advice and help. Even if you didn't ask for it. If you don't want to hear what people say, then don't post on a public message forum.

That being said, you need to step back for a minute. You ARE a new rider. No if's, and's, or but's about it. You said yourself you only put between 500 to 1000 miles on a street bike in a year. Thats nothing. Thats what most people put on their bikes in a month or two of riding back and forth to a local bike night.

It takes easily 6 months or longer of regular riding every day to become a proficient motorcyclist. Just because you may have a good dirt bike background, that doesn't mean you are an experienced street rider. Sure it helps with clutch control and shifting. Thats it. Dirt bikes handle totally different then street bikes.

If you were getting bored on a 500cc in only 1000 miles, then you need to go turn pro in AMA roadracing. If you're that good then you are destined to be the next Ben Spies.

You said it yourself, you aren't looking for speed. Then why did you get rid of the 500cc? You had a paid off bike sitting in your garage that you obviously wern't comfortable on. So now you are going to go spend money on a newer bike and make payments on something that will sit in your garage?

Reading back over your posts, I see what the problem is. You had a boyfriend who taught you how to ride telling you to upgrade. So you have it stuck in your head since your boyfriend told you to upgrade, you are ready. We see that happen quite often actually. Have you ever taken a MSF class? If not, I really encourage you to go do that before you spend your money on a new bike. See if riding is even for you. Learn the correct way to corner, stop quickly, swerve, ect.

Now all of that being said, you can "START" riding on a 600cc. You just have to be wise. People have given you some excellent suggestions in this post. The SV650 is a great bike, the ZX650 is a great bike, an older 600cc like a CBR600F3 or F4 are great starter bikes.

When you get your new bike be safe, wear your gear, and put some miles on the bike. That will get you on your start to becoming a proficient motorcyclist. Good luck.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 01:02 PM
have you consdiered a schwinn?

neebelung
05-20-2008, 01:02 PM
have you consdiered a schwinn?

:dvrofl:

byron12
05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I would reccomend you buy what ever bike your friends at the beach are going to be like "wow cool look at jenna she is such a bad ass girl she owns a motorcycle". I don't think we have to worry about her killing herself because she is not ready if she is not even going to ride the damn thing. Hell she is willing to enertain the new 250 just because it looks so hot and its sooo cheap like 3500 dollars is chump change or something. Your not a squid you are a poseur but thats okay motorcycles are soo hot right now....

Trip
05-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Stop being bike nazis and give the girl some advice about 600's. :lol: Hell a lot of us started off on older 600s and some on newer 600s. She has been riding for a little bit and she has been riding dirt for awhile. She will be fine.

Hondas - reliable, honda goes out of their way to make em a pain in the ass to work on.

Suzuki - squid bike of choice, fairings on the new one are confusing to get on and off, easier to work on

Yam - don't know much about them in the older forms

Kawa - 636 or nothing from this manufacturer.

ceo012384
05-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Haha.. I know I'm not STARTING on a 600... I had a 500 for a year, put about 1000 miles on it
I'm not against you getting a 600, personally it makes no difference to me... but just to nitpick a bit... 1000 miles in a year on a 500 is nothing, especially if it was just commuting around... i.e. traffic and mostly straight lines and low-speed turns.

Commuting helps your situational awareness and traffic sense but doesn't do much to improve your riding skills. You would gain more skill from a weekend in a parking lot working on your MSF techniques than 1000 miles of putt-putt.

There is nothing worse than a sophmoric attitude when it comes to riding. The pavement bites hard. Good luck with your choice and ride safe :cheers:

Trip
05-20-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not against you getting a 600, personally it makes no difference to me... but just to nitpick a bit... 1000 miles in a year on a 500 is nothing, especially if it was just commuting around... i.e. traffic and mostly straight lines and low-speed turns.

Commuting helps your situational awareness and traffic sense but doesn't do much to improve your riding skills. You would gain more skill from a weekend in a parking lot working on your MSF techniques than 1000 miles of putt-putt.

There is nothing worse than a sophmoric attitude when it comes to riding. The pavement bites hard. Good luck with your choice and ride safe :cheers:

If she is just going to be commuting on the bike though, the 600 really doesnt have the bite to it on the street. A 650 has less throttle control than a 600 since the 650 is just an on/off switch. It's hard to get in a lot of trouble in a hurry unless you really try with a 600. Low end just doesn't have the torque, especially older models. Plus she comes from the dirt world, she can more than handle lots of torque on delivery.

ceo012384
05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
If she is just going to be commuting on the bike though, the 600 really doesnt have the bite to it on the street. A 650 has less throttle control than a 600 since the 650 is just an on/off switch. It's hard to get in a lot of trouble in a hurry unless you really try with a 600. Low end just doesn't have the torque, especially older models. Plus she comes from the dirt world, she can more than handle lots of torque on delivery.

True... I was just saying amount of miles is irrelevant in terms of skill/progression. Type of miles is important.

Hell, if she JUST wants it for commuting then fuck the 600SS... get something with some low end... like a SV650 like you said.

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Stop being bike nazis and give the girl some advice about 600's. :lol: Hell a lot of us started off on older 600s and some on newer 600s. She has been riding for a little bit and she has been riding dirt for awhile. She will be fine.

Hondas - reliable, honda goes out of their way to make em a pain in the ass to work on.

Suzuki - squid bike of choice, fairings on the new one are confusing to get on and off, easier to work on

Yam - don't know much about them in the older forms

Kawa - 636 or nothing from this manufacturer.

:bs: my 599 works just fine for me.... little gearing change and GTG

Rider
05-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Werd.... I have about the same HP and a shit load more torque than his 600 has...and with a torque curve as flat as a board..

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 04:31 PM

skillfully said. sums up my own opinion. I've got no problem with people starting on 600s, mainly because regardless of the bike you buy, your attitude is still going to determine what happens on any two wheels.

i donno, my F3 would go from zero to holy shit in about three seconds flat.

Trip
05-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Werd.... I have about the same HP and a shit load more torque than his 600 has...and with a torque curve as flat as a board..

You both don't have 600SS bikes, which is what we are talking about. No way in hell I would ever buy the Kawa in the 600 form in it's current shape compared to other manufacturer's 600s.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
You both don't have 600SS bikes, which is what we are talking about. No way in hell I would ever buy the Kawa in the 600 form in it's current shape compared to other manufacturer's 600s.

elaborate, im not sure i understand.

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 04:55 PM

So the ZX6r isn't an SS bike? wtf is then?

Trip
05-20-2008, 04:56 PM
So the ZX6r isn't an SS bike? wtf is then?

you have the zzr :P

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 04:56 PM
a zx6r.

i think he was refering to the zzr. thats why im all wtf m8.

Trip
05-20-2008, 04:58 PM
elaborate, im not sure i understand.

Ebbs and Rider don't have bikes that are the current 600ss bikes that 1hott is looking at, which would be the gsxr 600, 600rrrrrrrrr, 6r, and r6.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Ebbs and Rider don't have bikes that are the current 600ss bikes that 1hott is looking at, which would be the gsxr 600, 600rrrrrrrrr, 6r, and r6.

600 Really rick rolling righteous rubberband rod revving race replica?

and yea i figured it out after some serious head scratching. we're back on track now.

Trip
05-20-2008, 05:02 PM
We need a ruling from her, how far back does she want to go for a 600 and is she interested in touring versions using old 600ss tech, like the F3, F4i, zzr and so on.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
the older you get, the harder it is to find a bike in good condition. i found my 98 (in 06) with 6k miles on it. doesnt get much better than that. more importantly is the previous owner though.

i say she saves her money and buys a house boat, and invites me down for a drink at the marina.

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
you have the zzr :P

it's the same as the ZX6R from 02...

though I didn't see where she was looking for a NEW 600... just that she wanted A 600...

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 05:09 PM
it's the same as the ZX6R from 02...

though I didn't see where she was looking for a NEW 600... just that she wanted A 600...

isnt the gearing different?

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 05:10 PM
isnt the gearing different?

no... the fairing stay is... some say the rear shock is too... but gearing is the same... (mine is changed)

Gas Man
05-21-2008, 09:13 AM
:lol: whoah... telling an Admin what he can and can't contribute to a thread? Isn't that crossin the line a bit there?

Pass the popcorn! this could get fun!!

Hey don't blow the my cover... I'm incog-choppa-nita admin!! :panic:

Oh yeah and :zowned:

Now I will go at NeonRT's post

First things first. This is a public internet forum. So you will get off topic posts, you will get people answering questions you didn't ask, and you will get people answering the question you asked as well. So don't get offended by people trying to give you advice and help. Even if you didn't ask for it. If you don't want to hear what people say, then don't post on a public message forum.

Yeah a public forum is a place where you will get opinions. If you don't want them then you should stay talking to your imaginary friend.

That being said, you need to step back for a minute. You ARE a new rider. No if's, and's, or but's about it. You said yourself you only put between 500 to 1000 miles on a street bike in a year. Thats nothing. Thats what most people put on their bikes in a month or two of riding back and forth to a local bike night.

It takes easily 6 months or longer of regular riding every day to become a proficient motorcyclist. Just because you may have a good dirt bike background, that doesn't mean you are an experienced street rider. Sure it helps with clutch control and shifting. Thats it. Dirt bikes handle totally different then street bikes.

Yes, I would say it takes at least 3k to bust off the beginers dust.

You said it yourself, you aren't looking for speed. Then why did you get rid of the 500cc? You had a paid off bike sitting in your garage that you obviously wern't comfortable on. So now you are going to go spend money on a newer bike and make payments on something that will sit in your garage?

Reading back over your posts, I see what the problem is. You had a boyfriend who taught you how to ride telling you to upgrade. So you have it stuck in your head since your boyfriend told you to upgrade, you are ready. We see that happen quite often actually. Have you ever taken a MSF class? If not, I really encourage you to go do that before you spend your money on a new bike. See if riding is even for you. Learn the correct way to corner, stop quickly, swerve, ect.

Now all of that being said, you can "START" riding on a 600cc. You just have to be wise. People have given you some excellent suggestions in this post. The SV650 is a great bike, the ZX650 is a great bike, an older 600cc like a CBR600F3 or F4 are great starter bikes.

The bike you are on or start on has alot to do with how you procieve the riding expierence. The 500 is a great bike for both. All around a good bike. I rode one for 3 years. And I would think going to a 250 would be a step down... DUH right! Further, as said, going from no payment nice bike to a payment lesser bike is a step in the opposite direction.

And the idea that after 750 miles you need to go to a 600 is CRAZY! Now I will admit the one advantage is that most of your 600's will give you one advantage. An adjustable suspension!!

Beyond that honestly Neon said it best

neebelung
05-21-2008, 09:34 AM
The bike you are on or start on has alot to do with how you procieve the riding expierence.

VERY true. Developing your skills as a rider on a smaller, tamer bike allows you to build your experience without the pucker effect. :lol: Seriously, there's enough to think about, remember, and learn without adding in a fear-factor. Moving up to a bigger bike too quickly can actually RETARD your development as a good rider (and hurt your confidence). I've seen it happen - and it's resulted in people getting hurt, people getting scared out of riding altogether, or both.

1hottbikechic
05-21-2008, 12:36 PM

If you were getting bored on a 500cc in only 1000 miles, then you need to go turn pro in AMA roadracing. If you're that good then you are destined to be the next Ben Spies.

When you get your new bike be safe, wear your gear, and put some miles on the bike. That will get you on your start to becoming a proficient motorcyclist. Good luck.

I appreciate the advice, I was just asking not to be "flamed" enough of that I see on bike forums and I have been in this hobby/industry for quite some time now.

I would reccomend you buy what ever bike your friends at the beach are going to be like "wow cool look at jenna she is such a bad ass girl she owns a motorcycle". I don't think we have to worry about her killing herself because she is not ready if she is not even going to ride the damn thing. Hell she is willing to enertain the new 250 just because it looks so hot and its sooo cheap like 3500 dollars is chump change or something. Your not a squid you are a poseur but thats okay motorcycles are soo hot right now....

I'm sorry I'm not a rider that goes for whats cool at the time... If that was the case I certainly wouldn't have started out on a bike that is as dated as the 500... atleast this year they upgraded the 250, maybe the 500 next year. I can tell you alot about riding and racing. You call me a poser but I have alot of experience at the race track, and am working on building my riding skills on the road.

the older you get, the harder it is to find a bike in good condition. i found my 98 (in 06) with 6k miles on it. doesnt get much better than that. more importantly is the previous owner though.

i say she saves her money and buys a house boat, and invites me down for a drink at the marina.

I'd like anything 95+ that's in good condition.

VERY true. Developing your skills as a rider on a smaller, tamer bike allows you to build your experience without the pucker effect. :lol: Seriously, there's enough to think about, remember, and learn without adding in a fear-factor. Moving up to a bigger bike too quickly can actually RETARD your development as a good rider (and hurt your confidence). I've seen it happen - and it's resulted in people getting hurt, people getting scared out of riding altogether, or both.

I appreciate your advice too Nee.

neebelung
05-21-2008, 01:15 PM
I appreciate the advice, I was just asking not to be "flamed" enough of that I see on bike forums and I have been in this hobby/industry for quite some time now.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you think the contents of this thread consistute flaming, you need to grow a thicker skin. This is NUTTIN. :lol:

And being in the "hobby/industry for quite some time" doesn't equate actual riding experience. Heck, I was involved in the 'local riding scene' and such for a long time before I started riding, but what I learned once I started riding was that I didn't know SHIT! :lol:

ceo012384
05-22-2008, 11:58 PM
This thread is hilarious. The ridiculous reasons and explanations and excuses are pure comic entertainment. For example... I LOVE this little gem:
I can tell you alot about riding and racing. You call me a poser but I have alot of experience at the race track, and am working on building my riding skills on the road.
Wait a second.... so I can become a better rider by going to the track and being a curb squirrel? Shit, I should just forget about track days and leave my bike in the garage. I'll buy some daisy dukes and head up there tomorrow in my car!

It takes easily 6 months or longer of regular riding every day to become a proficient motorcyclist.
Yes, I would say it takes at least 3k to bust off the beginers dust.
I still maintain that time and miles don't mean anything compared to what people think they do. TYPE of miles and a desire to constantly improve technique are what's important. This is three months after the first time I ever sat on a motorcycle which was in my MSF class:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC_0098editcrop.jpg

Mr Lefty
05-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I'll agree with ya there CEO... I've got more than 3k under my belt... but less than 3 months total actual seat time and that's broken up over 2 years... I'm still a noob by far!

I do think by 10k though... your no longer a noob... you may still be an idiot squid... but not a noob.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-23-2008, 06:30 AM
This thread is hilarious. The ridiculous reasons and explanations and excuses are pure comic entertainment. For example... I LOVE this little gem:

Wait a second.... so I can become a better rider by going to the track and being a curb squirrel? Shit, I should just forget about track days and leave my bike in the garage. I'll buy some daisy dukes and head up there tomorrow in my car!

I still maintain that time and miles don't mean anything compared to what people think they do. TYPE of miles and a desire to constantly improve technique are what's important. This is three months after the first time I ever sat on a motorcycle which was in my MSF class:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff187/ceo012384/DSC_0098editcrop.jpg

there are some people whom just have a natural ability on two wheels. but ability can be mistaken for experience, and that leads to bad things occasionally.

Phenix_Rider
05-23-2008, 07:11 AM
I'll agree with ya there CEO... I've got more than 3k under my belt... but less than 3 months total actual seat time and that's broken up over 2 years... I'm still a noob by far!

I do think by 10k though... your no longer a noob... you may still be an idiot squid... but not a noob.

Hell, I have 10k on my bike and I still feel like a noob sometimes. Like yesterday when the freaking rabbit came blasting onto the road right in front of my wheel. Point is, you can ride 100,000 miles and 30 years and not experience everything. Those miles and years do affect your decision making process though. A new rider (lets say <5k miles) simply doesn't have enough experience to properly evaluate their own skills or situations and react correctly in a very wide range of situations.

1HBC if you're not comfortable on the 500, that's one reason to move to a different bike. A perfectly acceptable one. Find a bike you are comfortable on and ride the hell out of it. If you're "upgrading" because someone told you to, or your current ride doesn't have enough power for your amazing skills, you have a lot more to learn.

neebelung
05-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Hell, I have 10k on my bike and I still feel like a noob sometimes. Like yesterday when the freaking rabbit came blasting onto the road right in front of my wheel. Point is, you can ride 100,000 miles and 30 years and not experience everything. Those miles and years do affect your decision making process though. A new rider (lets say <5k miles) simply doesn't have enough experience to properly evaluate their own skills or situations and react correctly in a very wide range of situations.

:werd: I still consider myself a newb, with .. .hmm.... I guess 13K miles (I haven't ridden in two months, so I can't remember! :lol: ) and 2 years of solid, consistent riding.

The day you stop learning is the day you become complacent. The day you become complacent is the day you need to put the kickstand down and take a breather from riding, because you'll become a danger to yourself, as well as to others.

itgirl
05-23-2008, 07:53 AM
i started riding street at age 18 on my first street bike (having extensive dirt background). it was a yamaha YSR50, would now be considered a pocket bike. i was probably the laughing stock of my town, rolling a max 55 mph downhill. but back then i was scared that i wouldn't be able to handle a 250! i rode that thing for a year before upgrading to a 250, which i managed to drop the very first day i owned it in front of all my friends in the taco bell parking lot (they had to pick it up for me, mortifying). after a year of riding, i sold that one to go to school. a few years passed and i decided to get back into riding. what did i buy? another 250. i was scared i couldn't handle a 600, even though my friends said i could. i rode that for another year before trading it up for the 636 i have today. i was still scared the day i picked up the 636 that i couldn't handle it. i finally took the MSF course with this bike and realized i shoulda done that way sooner.

moral of the story: i am still alive today, and i contribute that to starting small (very small) and not listening to what others think.

1HBC, do whatcha gotta do. just keep your head in check. make sure it's what is right for you. good luck finding what you are looking for. and go green, kawis are superior bikes in any year. :)

marko138
05-23-2008, 08:12 AM
:werd: I still consider myself a newb, with .. .hmm.... I guess 13K miles (I haven't ridden in two months, so I can't remember! :lol: ) and 2 years of solid, consistent riding.

The day you stop learning is the day you become complacent. The day you become complacent is the day you need to put the kickstand down and take a breather from riding, because you'll become a danger to yourself, as well as to others.
Damn! Get that bike back and running!

NeonspeedRT
05-23-2008, 08:36 AM

I agree 110%

neebelung
05-23-2008, 08:57 AM
Damn! Get that bike back and running!

*sigh* You're tellin me.....

Long story short, Jimmy has been trouble shooting EVERYTHING carb/fuel related, and after speaking with a few other experts who know a thing or two about that bike, they thing it's something electrical now... *sigh*

I can't complain TOO much, cus he's not charging me for labor, and we're still under $200 in parts, but it's 9 weeks now... :panic:

marko138
05-23-2008, 10:06 AM
*sigh* You're tellin me.....

Long story short, Jimmy has been trouble shooting EVERYTHING carb/fuel related, and after speaking with a few other experts who know a thing or two about that bike, they thing it's something electrical now... *sigh*

I can't complain TOO much, cus he's not charging me for labor, and we're still under $200 in parts, but it's 9 weeks now... :panic:
Time for a new bike.

neebelung
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Time for a new bike.

I'm ALMOST at that level of frustration, but not yet... I told myself (since Chris got HIS new bike this year) I'd wait at least another year...

marko138
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
F that. DO IT!

the chi
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
F that. DO IT!

:lol: was thinking more or less the same thing...get the other one running and either track it or sell it and put the cash towards a new bike (that you buy in the meantime!)

neebelung
05-23-2008, 10:51 AM
:lol: I know, but see there's that whole wedding (and more importantly HONEYMOON) thing we've got coming up in 4 months... all extra $$$ is going to that right now!

And is IS RUNNING actually... the leaks, etc... are all fixed, she's fine in that sense. He asked if we wanted him to just button it up and give it back to me, or try to fix this ONE last thing. Since he thinks it's only about a $40 part, we decided this is the last thing... if this doesn't fix it, then we'll just get it back and deal with the hiccup for the time being.

Gas Man
05-23-2008, 04:27 PM
there are some people whom just have a natural ability on two wheels. but ability can be mistaken for experience, and that leads to bad things occasionally.
Yeah but I think the track will speed up your skills. You're more in-tune with what's going on and don't have the distractions of traffic and cars. So that is still something that will be a challenge to a track person and can ultimately mean their demise.

Phenix_Rider
05-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah but I think the track will speed up your skills. You're more in-tune with what's going on and don't have the distractions of traffic and cars. So that is still something that will be a challenge to a track person and can ultimately mean their demise.

Yeah, track miles are great for learning how to handle your ride in near perfect conditions. Having a 3000+ lb monster hurtling the opposite direction at 100+ mph 3 ft from your face is a little distracting.:panic:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-23-2008, 11:06 PM

absolutely, to enhance your riding ability, but i was speaking more like mistaking your riding ability for your riding experience.

like they say a pound of knowledge is worth an ounce of experience.

ceo012384
05-23-2008, 11:47 PM
track miles are great for learning how to handle your ride in near perfect conditions
Sounds like you haven't seen the pavement at NHMS :lol: