PDA

View Full Version : Raising the bars on the R6

MEDIC
05-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Ok I may be interested in raising the bars on the '08 R6 , just for slightly better comfort measures. I buddy of mine raised his bars on a 636 and I was curious if anyone knew of this being available for the R6? and if so would it hurt the handliing of the bike?
this isn't a major issue as where they are right now isn't that big of a deal , just wanted to know the questions listed above ,
thasnks in adance,
Dave

o n sorry if hard to read or any misspelled words , many adult beverages consumed :)

Amber Lamps
05-15-2008, 04:13 AM
one option...http://www.gillestooling.com/en/produkte/vb/index.php
everything I've gotten from these guys has been top notch!

try calling these guys and ask why the fuck they don't make a kit for your bike? http://helibars.com/products.php?cat=14

these don't raise but they change the angle...http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?submenu=Products&src=gendocs&ref=Clipons&category=Products

here they are on LP http://s7d2.scene7.com/s7ondemand/brochure/flash_brochure.jsp?company=LockhartPhillipsUSA&sku=Lockhart%20Phillips%20eCatalog%202007_Lg&config=Lockhart%20Phillips%20eCatalog%202007_Lg&zoomwidth=912&zoomheight=570&vc=instanceName=LockhartPhillipseCatalogL

how about these http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/clipon.cfm

hmm..http://www.convertibars.com/ProductsBike.cfm?Action=Add&ProductID=&rebuildStruct=1&CategoryID=12&BikeYear=2008&MakeID=78&ModelID=260&btnSubmit=+Next+Step%21+

nhgunnut
05-15-2008, 07:42 AM
If R1 bars are an option ( I am guessing they are) Heli Bars have a Kit. I am running the Heli bar kit on my Busa great quality and fit/
www.helibar.com

fatburg
05-15-2008, 07:50 AM
My buddy here at work just put helibars on his SV1000 and loves them. I sat on it and it was quite a bit more comfortable. No FZ6, but better.

Rider
05-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Woodcraft makes bars that will give you about a 1 inch lift.

ceo012384
05-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Ok I may be interested in raising the bars on the '08 R6 , just for slightly better comfort measures. I buddy of mine raised his bars on a 636 and I was curious if anyone knew of this being available for the R6? and if so would it hurt the handliing of the bike?
this isn't a major issue as where they are right now isn't that big of a deal , just wanted to know the questions listed above ,
thasnks in adance,
Dave
If you want to raise them a significant amount, you would have to drop the forks in the triples and put the clipons above the triples probably. I wouldn't recommend it.

The offset clipons tig posted look like they would work but would probably also bend very easily.

I wouldn't worry about comfort, that bike is meant to be ridden hard/aggressively, that's why the clipons are under the triples in the first place. If you want touring comfort I would just get a different bike...

Personally I'm not uncomfortable on mine anyways.

MEDIC
05-15-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow what a response ! Tigger thanks for those links!
Yeah I'm prob not goin to But just wanted to know if there was an option incase I ever did want to raise them. I don't ride it that long to really matter anyways and when I do it's usually just in the twisties , But will it effect the performance of the bike If I did raise/change angle of it?
again thanks everyone for the responses :dthumb:

Amber Lamps
05-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Yeah I'm prob not goin to But just wanted to know if there was an option incase I ever did want to raise them. I don't ride it that long to really matter anyways and when I do it's usually just in the twisties , But will it effect the performance of the bike If I did raise/change angle of it?

Like always,the makers of the parts swear they are better in "every way", I don't know. I made my bike 10x more comfortable with bar snakes,Oury grips and the heavier bar ends that came with my cruise control.

ceo012384
05-15-2008, 01:10 PM

If you put the clipons above the triples it will definitely change the bike's performance. Dropping the forks in the triples will effectively change your rake and trail, etc. Turn it would probably quicken up a bit, but there would be downsides too for sure.

As far as simply changing the clipons themselves to ones with a different angle or height but that attach at the same point, the bike's performance would technically not be any different. However the amount of force (and the angle at which you apply it) you would need to give to the handlebars would change, I imagine.

Amber Lamps
05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
If you put the clipons above the triples it will definitely change the bike's performance. Dropping the forks in the triples will effectively change your rake and trail, etc. Turn it would probably quicken up a bit, but there would be downsides too for sure.

As far as simply changing the clipons themselves to ones with a different angle or height but that attach at the same point, the bike's performance would technically not be any different. However the amount of force (and the angle at which you apply it) you would need to give to the handlebars would change, I imagine.

Yea personally,I'd go with the Gilles set-up if I were changing things. They look to be easiest to make changes to and put back to stock if the need arose,ie commuting during the week-canyon carving on the weekend. In fact if you get the vario rearsets and the vario bars your life would be about perfect! CEO did you happen to see the rearsets...:drool:

ceo012384
05-15-2008, 01:19 PM
CEO did you happen to see the rearsets...:drool:
Yeah I noticed those.... hot stuff. Gilles really machines some beautiful pieces. Their machine work is top notch. The price tag goes with it though....

Amber Lamps
05-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah I noticed those.... hot stuff. Gilles really machines some beautiful pieces. Their machine work is top notch. The price tag goes with it though....

Yea,I wish they had had the vario rearsets and the brake and clutch levers when I got my stuff. Oh well...

Vettezilla (Impala Balko)
05-15-2008, 01:42 PM
thasnks in adance,
Dave

o n sorry if hard to read or any misspelled words , many adult beverages consumed :)
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/dictionary/photos/ApeHangers.jpg
do it son it will look pimp

No Worries
05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
See if the handlebar and hardware from an FZ6 will fit on the R6.

ceo012384
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
See if the handlebar and hardware from an FZ6 will fit on the R6.
On the FZ6 I think the handlebars are one piece and clamped into a bracket, and that bracket is mounted to the top triple tree.

You could swap over that whole assembly (triple tree, bracket, and handlebars) except the 06-08 R6 has inverted forks and the FZ has conventionals, so the fork tubes are too big on the r6 (50mm clipons versus I think 43mm).

The FZ swap would take some work.