PDA

View Full Version : Draining the gas....need asap!

psychochild28
05-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey drewp wants to know if anyone knows how to drain the gas from an 07 Buell xb12?

They think there's water in the gas and that's why he's having problems.

please help

Mule
05-17-2008, 11:13 PM
gotta break out the shop manual....there's got to be a fuel line in there somewhere to disconnect.....

i've never had to do any such thing with my buell...and I have a 9 anyways, may be different....

psychochild28
05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Ok i'll tell them

All I know is the bike is sputtering and acting like it's out of fuel so any suggestions would be helpful

Mule
05-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Ok i'll tell them

All I know is the bike is sputtering and acting like it's out of fuel so any suggestions would be helpful

bad fuel, maybe.....make sure he didn't put diesel in the thing on accident... the low octane gases do that to my buell sometimes, sputter, hesitation, backfiring....

plus the gas companies are cutting their gas with 10% ethanol now and that may have something to do with the poor performance...

Mudpuppy
05-18-2008, 12:04 AM
seafoam or something like it will help "eliminate" the water i believe.. an octane booster might help as well..

R1up0n1
05-18-2008, 12:08 AM
just pull off the tank...drain the gas, and get some new gas.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 12:10 AM
how easy is that to do?

Mudpuppy
05-18-2008, 12:11 AM
not what i would do - that's alot of work for a little bit of water.. they sell fucking chemicals that absorb the water, etc.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 12:13 AM
well they're not even sure that's what it is but they want to check that first.

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 12:38 AM
seafoam... or gas drier... will help... and be easier than draining all the fuel...

Captain Morgan
05-18-2008, 12:40 AM

how easy is that to do?

Impossible on a buell xb12, because the FRAME is the gas tank!! There has to be a hose somewhere on it they can disconnect to drain the gas, but unfortunately, I have no idea where it is. :( Hope they get it working ok.

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 12:40 AM
if the motor runs then try seafoam or gas drier first... if that doesn't help (it's not a instant fix... takes a bit... he'll still have a little bit reduced performance for the rest of the tank) then you can proced to drain the tank...

but that's just my :2cents:

No Worries
05-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Isn't the fuel in the frame? If there's water in the gas, try a gas-line antifreeze. It's an alcohol that mixes with the water and burns it.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Aparently they've tried gas dryer....about 50 miles ago and it made it worse

Captain Morgan
05-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Looks like he'll need to find the fuel pump to drain the fuel.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/114096.html

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 12:48 AM
from the quick searching I've done looks like the fuel drain is on the fuel pump...

Captain Morgan
05-18-2008, 12:49 AM
from the quick searching I've done looks like the fuel drain is on the fuel pump...

I beat you to it. Look up one post above yours. ;)

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 12:49 AM
ahh capt beat me to it

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 12:50 AM
Looks like he'll need to find the fuel pump to drain the fuel.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/114096.html

thanks.

so we think it's bad gas or could there be another problem since the check engine light came on earlier today (see so it begin's thread) and he's been having problems since.

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 12:51 AM
and did it again! :lol:

any chance this problem is what CAUSED the check engine light?

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 12:53 AM
possibly they have really no idea what's wrong and the first thought was bad gas...i'm just getting random texts from drewp

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 12:55 AM
damn... well keep us posted... hope it's just bad gas... that's a pretty easy fix

Gas Man
05-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Well drewpy called me earlier... I spoke to him...

Bike at idle and in neutral = fine
revvin bike in neural = fine
under load = cutting out and not fine

It all started after a po-dunc (sp?) gas fill up.

I tell it how I think...

disconnect the battery to ensure there are no funky codes stored in the ECM

However, my first gut is that with this 8300 mile Buell its a clogged fuel filter. Its nearing its PM time anyway but a dirty fill up would speed up its end. I told Drewpy sense its fuel in the frame to back track it from the throttle body to the frame. There has to be a filter somewhere. Pull it, check it, blow thru it if you must. If clogged, you can't replace (note to others, this is why you replace with a pingle re-useable filter over the paper filter units) the paper buell unit (unless you find an open HD dealer on Sunday which is VERY possible.). Just poke a hole thru the paper element, re-attach and go. But BEWARE that you have no filtration now... and you don't want to clog an injector.

I also reminded him that it takes me 5 mins to pull the Pingle fuel filter or to pull a jet... clean and re-install. "Keep it simple stupid"

He's going to pull the battery tonight and let it sit over night... start on the other main problem in the morning...

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 01:13 AM
note to self... install Pingle Fuel Filter before trip in september...

oh... and have Gas Man's phone number on speed dial! :lol:

Gas Man
05-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Hey... I'm just saying... the pingle gets dirty... you just rinse it off/clean it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fuel%20Filter/Pingel003.jpg

Further, even if that fails... you can put it back together without the filter.

For the paper units... ebbs... just replace before. As you should go thru the bike anyway prior to the trip. Also, you could take a double sided nipple/coupler to bypass the paper unit.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fuel%20Filter/FuelFilter005.jpg

And Ebbs... Drewpy calls me all the time for stuff. I can't say no and always help. Today, on my bday, I spent 2 hours helping my uncle install his mystery trike rear end on his bike. I stopped by to check it out and ended up bolting the whole unit on the bike... oh well...

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Well drewpy called me earlier... I spoke to him...

Bike at idle and in neutral = fine
revvin bike in neural = fine
under load = cutting out and not fine

It all started after a po-dunc (sp?) gas fill up.

I tell it how I think...

disconnect the battery to ensure there are no funky codes stored in the ECM

However, my first gut is that with this 8300 mile Buell its a clogged fuel filter. Its nearing its PM time anyway but a dirty fill up would speed up its end. I told Drewpy sense its fuel in the frame to back track it from the throttle body to the frame. There has to be a filter somewhere. Pull it, check it, blow thru it if you must. If clogged, you can't replace (note to others, this is why you replace with a pingle re-useable filter over the paper filter units) the paper buell unit (unless you find an open HD dealer on Sunday which is VERY possible.). Just poke a hole thru the paper element, re-attach and go. But BEWARE that you have no filtration now... and you don't want to clog an injector.

I also reminded him that it takes me 5 mins to pull the Pingle fuel filter or to pull a jet... clean and re-install. "Keep it simple stupid"

He's going to pull the battery tonight and let it sit over night... start on the other main problem in the morning...

Haha I was hoping you'd get on and explain this a little better...:lol:

Dnyce
05-18-2008, 01:29 AM
i remember "someone" lol telling u about pingle fuel filters way back when you were having some issues with your tank.

if you're always willing to help, thats a gd number to have :pat:

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Hey... I'm just saying... the pingle gets dirty... you just rinse it off/clean it.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fuel%20Filter/Pingel003.jpg

Further, even if that fails... you can put it back together without the filter.

For the paper units... ebbs... just replace before. As you should go thru the bike anyway prior to the trip. Also, you could take a double sided nipple/coupler to bypass the paper unit.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Fuel%20Filter/FuelFilter005.jpg

And Ebbs... Drewpy calls me all the time for stuff. I can't say no and always help. Today, on my bday, I spent 2 hours helping my uncle install his mystery trike rear end on his bike. I stopped by to check it out and ended up bolting the whole unit on the bike... oh well...

1. happy birthday... (it's my bro's bday too)

2. yeah I was most defiantly going to be going over my bike really closely before I take off... and the pingle filter is what I was planning on doing after your last post about it...

3. your a hell of a guy and I know we all appreciate your help on everything...:dthumb:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-18-2008, 06:39 AM
my bike had the same problem at deals gap last year, and then on the ride home. never found out what it was, but it correceted itself eventually.

Let us know when you have an update.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 10:59 AM
they're going to get tools and then going to start the process of draining the fuel.

Anyone have suggestions on finding a manual for a buell online?

marko138
05-18-2008, 11:10 AM
they're going to get tools and then going to start the process of draining the fuel.

Anyone have suggestions on finding a manual for a buell online?
Stand by.

Best I can find is for an XB9...but it might help.

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/item/predownload/495/free-racing/videos/buell-xb9-xb9-rservice-manual-2003.html

Seems the service manual is hard to find online.

Found this too:

http://www.tradebit.com/tagworld.php/buell

There seems to be a manual for the 12 in there.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Stand by.

Best I can find is for an XB9...but it might help.

http://www.gofastvideo.com/gallery/item/predownload/495/free-racing/videos/buell-xb9-xb9-rservice-manual-2003.html

Seems the service manual is hard to find online.

Found this too:

http://www.tradebit.com/tagworld.php/buell

There seems to be a manual for the 12 in there.

i know i've tried looking since last night. Hopefully this can help them a little. :dthumb::ty:

marko138
05-18-2008, 11:39 AM
There seems to be very little for free available. I'm at work, otherwise I'd offer to just read my service manual to them over the phone.

If they continue to have problems PM me and I'll give you my number if they need to call.

Mule
05-18-2008, 11:46 AM

there's no pulling the tank off on a buell, as the frame IS the tank....

still, i'd like to see you try it....

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 11:48 AM
would they need to remove or do anything with the swing arm to get at the fuel pump?

marko138
05-18-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm gonna stop by my house and grab my service manual when I head out....still it will be a few hours till I'm available with it.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 12:19 PM
ran across this while looking up fuel pump removal...

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=99476
Make : BUELL
Model : XB12X
Year : 2006, 2007
Manufacturer : BUELL MOTORCYCLE CO.
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V026000
Mfr's Report Date : JAN 24, 2007
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 2044

Summary:
CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES MAY HAVE A VIBRATION AT THE MOUNTING LOCATION OF THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR WHICH, IF COMBINED WITH THE MISROUTING OF VARIOUS WIRES THAT IMPINGE ON THE SENSOR OR ITS PIGTAIL, CAN COMPROMISE THE ISOLATION OF THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR.

Consequence:
THIS MAY CREATE A FALSE 'TIP' SIGNAL AND CAUSE THE ENGINE TO QUIT RUNNING WHILE BEING DRIVEN, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MOVE THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR FROM THE ORIGINAL LOCATION ON THE BATTERY TRAY TO A LOCATION ON THE SEAT LATCH. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 5, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BUELL AT 1-414-343-8400.

Notes:
BUELL RECALL NO. 0839. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 12:40 PM
ok they got in touch with a local guy thanks to Marko :dthumb: and he's offered a place to crash and has a connection with a buell tech.

:twfix:

marko138
05-18-2008, 02:50 PM
ok they got in touch with a local guy thanks to Marko :dthumb: and he's offered a place to crash and has a connection with a buell tech.

Thats great.

No Worries
05-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Summary:
CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES MAY HAVE A VIBRATION AT THE MOUNTING LOCATION OF THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR WHICH, IF COMBINED WITH THE MISROUTING OF VARIOUS WIRES THAT IMPINGE ON THE SENSOR OR ITS PIGTAIL, CAN COMPROMISE THE ISOLATION OF THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR.

Consequence:
THIS MAY CREATE A FALSE 'TIP' SIGNAL AND CAUSE THE ENGINE TO QUIT RUNNING WHILE BEING DRIVEN, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Good find. I was thinking it was the kickstand safety switch. To get back on the road, find the tip over switch and bypass it.

marko138
05-18-2008, 03:16 PM
They've probly figured this out by now...but...the swingarm has to come off to get to the fuel pump.

PiZdETS
05-18-2008, 04:05 PM
They've probly figured this out by now...but...the swingarm has to come off to get to the fuel pump.

Glad to hear they've worked it out but I have to ask- is a slight improvement in center of mass and handling really worth this much of a hassle for basic roadside repairs?
I'm a fan of innovation and all but when it's not used for racing at all, why make such a convoluted, user-unfriendly design as that? Erik Buell is all about doing thing's his own way and you owners love the handling but he should take into consideration the needs of his customers who will eventually have to figure out his innovative, complicated designs on the side of the road without diagrams.

I'm sure ducati's and other "think outside the box" bikes are a bitch to work on also, this is just a good time to pick on buell.
On both Suzuki's I've owned the inner workers seem completely intuitively laid out. Even my wrench-retarded has been able to figure out small issues without the manuals help. I guess that's the trade off between having a "bike with soul" and just another gsxr. :idk:

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Glad to hear they've worked it out but I have to ask- is a slight improvement in center of mass and handling really worth this much of a hassle for basic roadside repairs?
I'm a fan of innovation and all but when it's not used for racing at all, why make such a convoluted, user-unfriendly design as that? Erik Buell is all about doing thing's his own way and you owners love the handling but he should take into consideration the needs of his customers who will eventually have to figure out his innovative, complicated designs on the side of the road without diagrams.

I'm sure ducati's and other "think outside the box" bikes are a bitch to work on also, this is just a good time to pick on buell.
On both Suzuki's I've owned the inner workers seem completely intuitively laid out. Even my wrench-retarded has been able to figure out small issues without the manuals help. I guess that's the trade off between having a "bike with soul" and just another gsxr. :idk:

exactly what I was thinking... wonder how hard it is to take the swing arm off?

Gas Man
05-18-2008, 04:33 PM
i remember "someone" lol telling u about pingle fuel filters way back when you were having some issues with your tank.

if you're always willing to help, thats a gd number to have :pat:

Yep... you were one of the first to suggest it. Remember my only concern was fuel flow... but you were right! :dthumb:

1. happy birthday... (it's my bro's bday too)

2. yeah I was most defiantly going to be going over my bike really closely before I take off... and the pingle filter is what I was planning on doing after your last post about it...

3. your a hell of a guy and I know we all appreciate your help on everything...:dthumb:
1. thanks.
2. good
3. I try, that's all I can say.

How did the infamous Marko pull this off?

Did they make any miles today? What's the update on the bike?

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 04:41 PM
They're in Topeka waiting on Eric. Only miles are the ones from Kansas city to Topeka and bike still not working properly.

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 04:51 PM
damn...

Who's Eric? the Buell guy?

Gas Man
05-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Eric = shanman? :D

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Eric = shanman? :D

thought he was in Mississippi or Alabama or some shit.... :shrug:

maybe Mr. Buell himself to bitch about the crappy design of having to take off the swing arm to get to the fuel pump :lol:

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 06:06 PM
And fixed...they're back on the road. I've had the phone shut off on me so that's all i know.

But it is fixed the spark plugs were toast and they are hitting the road again to try to make up for lost time....see other thread for how fast they'll be going. :lol:

Trip
05-18-2008, 06:09 PM
I sent drewpy a txt asking if they defiled chewy yet.

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 06:11 PM
sweet... glad it was a simple fix!

Trip
05-18-2008, 06:13 PM
he tried to blame chewy for bad jew jew. I think it's more him. The duck decoys, the leaky fork, the gap wreck, the skyway trip from hell; bad things happen on his trips.

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I sent drewpy a txt asking if they defiled chewy yet.

and did you get a response?...ok guess you got a response....:doh:

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 06:56 PM
N/m it's not fixed.......

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 07:08 PM
damn... fuck man... what the hell...

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
dont know but they might lose one possibly two if drewp goes with him....none of the harley shops open till tues.

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 07:15 PM
fuck... well maybe they can get it fixed and catch back up.... hope it's nothing serious... or expensive!

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 07:29 PM
They are going to continue to ride to Colorado Springs.

They're hoping to find a dealer open tomorrow. The bike does not run well at all but he's going to continue the 8ish hour trech today and hopefully get it fixed tomorrow

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 07:37 PM
so I take it's just sluggish then(but able to keep highway speeds)... did they check the fuel filter like gman said?

at least it's still rideable... and hopefully it's not spoiling the trip...

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Yea pretty much i'm guessing.

But they did not mess with the fuel filter

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 08:04 PM
humm... well thanks for keep us updated...

Trip
05-18-2008, 08:22 PM
hope they can continue

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 09:33 PM
denied.....

Bike is completely dead in an Autozone parking lot.

I got a different story... so they did mess with the fuel assembly a little w/o taking the swing arm off. Needless to say that they didn't replace the oring and now the bike is completely dead.

They are an hour and a half from both Topeka and witchita. And the buell dealerships aren't opened on mondays

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 09:44 PM
FUCK!... that SUCKS! what's their plan now? wonder if there's other motorcycle shops around that might be able to at least help a bit... :idk: better than waiting a day for the buell dealerhship to open doing nothing...

psychochild28
05-18-2008, 09:55 PM
I found them a honda and harley shop about half an hour away that's open tomorrow so they're staying in the little town of Abilene, KS tonight and going to try the autozone in the morning. Then if no luck then drewp's heading to the dealers to try and figure something out.

Mr Lefty
05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
well shit... I'm pretty sure Autozone isn't gonna help... (they barely know anything about cars... at least in my experience)

well... look on the bright side... should be one hell of a blog entry :lol:

PiZdETS
05-18-2008, 10:14 PM
I found them a honda and harley shop about half an hour away that's open tomorrow so they're staying in the little town of Abilene, KS tonight and going to try the autozone in the morning. Then if no luck then drewp's heading to the dealers to try and figure something out.
I might be able to help get someone home if needed, check your pm's.

psychochild28
05-19-2008, 08:12 PM
ok they got the bike running...ish. Got an o-ring at Napa and then went 100miles to find a Buell dealership. Found the owners home phone and called him. Surprisingly he came in cause they're closed on mondays. So they got the ECM corrected and are heading to CO and just going to find a Buell dealer tomorrow to make sure everything's ok still.

But they did get their bikes blessed at some gas staion :lol: bout damn time

JoJoYZF
05-19-2008, 10:56 PM
well shit... I'm pretty sure Autozone isn't gonna help... (they barely know anything about cars... at least in my experience)

well... look on the bright side... should be one hell of a blog entry :lol:

I was thinking the same things on both accounts. Hell, just the relayed story from PC is chaos.

t-homo
05-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I have a friend who grew up in Abilene KS. Glad to hear they are back to riding.

Mudpuppy
05-19-2008, 11:52 PM
too much drama in the LBC.. hopefully they put the bullshit behind them and the rest of the trip is smooth.. pc is like the ken daniels of the play by play here..

psychochild28
05-19-2008, 11:55 PM
haha well ya see the other thread?

That and I have no life i'm waiting to see if I leave for tour this sat.

Gas Man
05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
It was a ECM problem?

This is how it always happens... a good bike breaks down for something stupid!

marko138
05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Buell dealers are good people. I'd get into the story but you people would all take a shit on it b/c it deals with a buell.

Gas Man
05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Fuck them... tell it how it is... that's your thing anyway!

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Buell dealers are good people. I'd get into the story but you people would all take a shit on it b/c it deals with a buell.

is this the kinder gentler Marko? since when do you care what anyone thinks of your posts? :lol:

marko138
05-20-2008, 05:55 PM
is this the kinder gentler Marko? since when do you care what anyone thinks of your posts? :lol:
It's tiring listening to the constant bullshit from some members of this board.

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 06:02 PM
:lol:... and I'm sure they love your post too!

fuck'm... tell your story

No Worries
05-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I was all set to show Drewpy some of the twistiest roads around. Most riders know about Lookout Mountain, but I was also going to show them two twisty roads that few riders know about. But they will stay secret as Drewpy called and cannot make it up to Denver. I gave him some very round-about routes, past the Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ) Mountains, to Albuquerque. Unfortunately, the Buell was going to be shipped back home from Colorado Springs.

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
FUCK!... damn that sucks ass... wonder wtf is the issue!

Trip
05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
faulty wiring or some shit is what the dealer is saying, dealer is charging him $90 an hour to look at it. After 4 hours they told the dealer to give up. RIPOFF!!

My friend Zach had a XB9R and had the motor blow twice, he now owns an 08 600RR.

Dave
05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
quick tell marko lol

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 06:50 PM
so wth is osp gonna do if his bike is being shipped back? catch a plane?

Trip
05-20-2008, 06:52 PM
so wth is osp gonna do if his bike is being shipped back? catch a plane?

they are gonna ride two up on the rc

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 06:53 PM
they are gonna ride two up on the rc

OMG THEY BETTER GET FUCKING PICS.

and what about Drewps luggage? isnt that taking up the rear seat?

psychochild28
05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
They made it to a buell dealer and still a 50/50 shot of getting it fixed. They think there's a wire shorting out the whole bike but they can't find it. So far $600 later still nothing.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 07:20 PM
They made it to a buell dealer and still a 50/50 shot of getting it fixed. They think there's a wire shorting out the whole bike but they can't find it. So far $600 later still nothing.

there goes your buell dealership theory marko. maybe they were nice about robbing him though.

Trip
05-20-2008, 07:25 PM

They should ask the dealership if it is associated with scientology. :lol:

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
WOW $600 and no fix? wtf are they charge'n him for? labor? damn...

psychochild28
05-20-2008, 07:35 PM
I think that was for everything from when the first tried to fix it at the other harley shops....the hotels and such but not sure that's what drewp said:idk:

Guessing he exagerated a tad..:whistle:

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 07:39 PM
damn... that sucks ass! wonder if they can throw a side car on the RC?

Mr Lefty
05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
ahh ok... still fuck'n gay

lagerdrinker
05-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Just found this thread, had same thing on my harley and turned out to be bad ignition wires.
good idle, good cruising, stumbled and coughed on hard acceleration.

No Worries
05-20-2008, 08:50 PM
faulty wiring or some shit is what the dealer is saying, dealer is charging him $90 an hour to look at it. After 4 hours they told the dealer to give up...
Holy crap. I might pay someone $90/hr to fix something, but to look at it? I heard it was running super rich. And Colorado Springs is at 7,000 feet. Most sensors have resistance that has to be in a certain range. Just about every sensor, switch and connector on the bike can probably be tested by a competent mechanic in an hour. I'd have a good idea what was wrong if it was carbed. Why couldn't they figure out what was wrong with the FI?

Gas Man
05-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Just found this thread, had same thing on my harley and turned out to be bad ignition wires.
good idle, good cruising, stumbled and coughed on hard acceleration.
You mean ignition or spark plug wires? Good possiblity!!

Gas Man
05-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Got an update? Heard something in another thread about having it trailered or shipped back?

Gas Man
05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Moved a few posts over here fromt he MAP thread

faulty wiring or some shit is what the dealer is saying, dealer is charging him $90 an hour to look at it. After 4 hours they told the dealer to give up. RIPOFF!!

My friend Zach had a XB9R and had the motor blow twice, he now owns an 08 600RR.

That is some BS. Isn't the bike under warrenty????

quick tell marko lol

Seroiusly, you're showing off some imachurity and/or ignorance. If you ever rode a Buell you would know how much they rock. I was the same way as your above statement UNTIL I test rode one and it opened my mind of ignorance!! Just sayin...

marko138
05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
quick tell marko lol
Tell me what? That someone embarked on a cross country, multiple thousand mile trip without first verifying that his bike was in top working order? That ain't my fault or Buells.

My bike runs great so who gives a fuck.

Cutty72
05-21-2008, 01:41 PM

truth

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Tell me what? That someone embarked on a cross country, multiple thousand mile trip without first verifying that his bike was in top working order? That ain't my fault or Buells.

dig the new sig.

beatlejuice freaks me out.

lagerdrinker
05-21-2008, 04:40 PM
You mean ignition or spark plug wires?

yes, ignition wires as in sparkplug wires. i read in a few pages back the plugs were shot. Maybe that excessive gap in plugs burned up the wires internally. I changed mine to wire core cause i dont care about RFI.

6doublefive321
05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Somebody's gotta link to OSP's thread where he had the Buell in a million pieces while in a drunken stupor. I'm waaaaay too lazy to search for it.

marko138
05-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Somebody's gotta link to OSP's thread where he had the Buell in a million pieces while in a drunken stupor. I'm waaaaay too lazy to search for it.
My thoughts exactly.

jalaan1
05-21-2008, 06:03 PM
finally getting to this thread.
what's the update on these guys.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 06:11 PM
donno.

havent heard from DP since yesterday around this time. hopefully they're haulin ass, but still having enough time to enjoy the trip.

Trip
05-21-2008, 06:28 PM
goes straight to voice mail, sent a text

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 07:05 PM
goes straight to voice mail, sent a text

yikes. hope he has his charger.

Mr Lefty
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
thought she said Drewpy lost his phone on the road?

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
it didnt break.

Mr Lefty
05-21-2008, 07:09 PM
oh... I didn't realize that he found it... I thought she meant that it was lost... but they didn't know where...

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 07:10 PM
said he dropped it doing like 70, i guess he went back and got it, it was working fine yesterday.

Mr Lefty
05-21-2008, 07:12 PM
ahh ok... thought they were using OSP's... ok... I'm up to speed :lol:

you guys try OSP's? or PC?

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
i lost OSP's never had PC's.

Mr Lefty
05-21-2008, 07:16 PM
oh... well... then... shit...

how's the RR runnin? :lol:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
oh... well... then... shit...

how's the RR runnin? :lol:

just spent an hour on the grimy black chain. adjusted tension, cleaned, oiled. its sparkling silver now. and its a DID, i did not know that before.

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Mr Lefty
05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
you use kero?

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 07:24 PM
you use kero?

WD40. worked like a charm.

Mr Lefty
05-21-2008, 07:28 PM
thought that ate the rubber rings? :idk:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
thought that ate the rubber rings? :idk:

nope.

heres what it looks like now, gotta do laundry before i finish it.

Mr Lefty
05-21-2008, 07:34 PM
nice... missed a few spots :lol:

think I'll just pull mine off and soak it and the sprocket in Kero while I do my other stuff then reinstall it when I'm done... warm it up... then lube...

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
nice... missed a few spots :lol:

think I'll just pull mine off and soak it and the sprocket in Kero while I do my other stuff then reinstall it when I'm done... warm it up... then lube...

no chit, but if you saw how grimed up it was you woulda shit your pants. its been one of those things i've been meaning to get to but the weather hasnt been right or i've had to do other stuff etc etc etc.

I just got fed up with the drive chain being loose, i could just feel my teeth getting chewed apart, and i hated the way it was jerking sometimes on bad shifts.

ceo012384
05-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Fuck that. Diagnostics are not supposed to cost money like that.
nope.

heres what it looks like now, gotta do laundry before i finish it.
Use kero and a grunge brush next time. It will be mo' cleanah.

No Worries
05-24-2008, 07:30 PM

Summary:

Consequence:

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL MOVE THE BANK ANGLE SENSOR FROM THE ORIGINAL LOCATION ON THE BATTERY TRAY TO A LOCATION ON THE SEAT LATCH. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 5, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BUELL AT 1-414-343-8400.

Notes:
BUELL RECALL NO. 0839. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Kind of late now, but when I looked at the latest issue of Motorcyclist at the library today, there was a "Doin' Time" long-term test of the Buell Ulysses XB12X. Their bike would quit running without warning and without pattern. Here's what the article said:

"Turns out a problem with the bank-angle (tip-over) sensor mounting on some 2007 models could cause a false signal that kills the motor. Buell issued a recall to address this problem by relocating the sensor from the battery tray to a less vibration-prone location on the subframe. If you own a Uly, get this fixed."

Gas Man
05-25-2008, 02:22 PM
NICE!!! A bit late... FUCKIN figures!!

Good post NW!

OneSickPsycho
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Jesus... I cannot begin to sift through this whole thread... Problem is in the wiring, most likely due to my pinching some shit when I dropped the engine and put it back up in it... Pulling the plugs, draining the fuel, and pulling the fuel pump/filter just caused more problems and/or set me back some time... We'll find out eventually what the problem is...