PDA

View Full Version : I'm an idiot...

the chi
05-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Okay guys, I admit it, I was an idiot and didnt pay the proper amount of attention when reinstalling my frame slider. The story ends with me stripping out the engine side. The bolt isnt stuck inside, and I even have the handy dandy coil of aluminum from my fuck up, but now I gotta fix this before I head to the Dragon in a few weeks.

After talking to several people, it looks like my best and easiest option at this point in time is to tap in a helocoil (sp) and put the bolt back in.

Anyone have any tips or experience in dealing with this issue and the repairs needed?

(I dont have time or cash to get the hole redone at this point, and I am not in favor of just drilling another hole.)

nhgunnut
05-20-2008, 10:17 AM
An option sometime used in the gun world is JB Weld.
the + is that it is a fast strong fix the - is that it is a mess to try undo later to make a "proper repair".
Best option seems to be the one you started with a Helicoil

Rider
05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
An option sometime used in the gun world is JB Weld.
the + is that it is a fast strong fix the - is that it is a mess to try undo later to make a "proper repair".
Best option seems to be the one you started with a Helicoil

Thats the best plan for now. You can alway take it out later and drill a bigger hole and tap some threads in there. You will need to get a bigger bolt though which my not fit through the frame slider.

JB Weld is a mess and it is permanent. You will want to be able to remove that bolt is you need to.

the chi
05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
If I have to get a bigger bolt i will most likely just drill out the frame slider a bit. Its on the right side of the gxsr, a vortex, so that side doesnt have the metal piece, just washers and frame slider.

I am still kicking myself in the ass on this one...:panic:

papapoi
05-20-2008, 10:41 AM
rae just get a tapset and re thread the hole. i think thats what it is called :P . We won't hold your tardness against ya . I'm free this weekend if ya need a hand. never re-threaded a bolt hole. Maybe Ray can help.

Captain Morgan
05-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Damn, that sucks!! Did you try to tighten the bolt too much, or just not get it threaded properly?

By the way, I laughed my ass off at the front page because I saw, "I'm an idiot" immediately followed by "Got engaged this weekend". :rofl:

the chi
05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
LMAO...yeah I can understand why that would be funny...

Chuck, i think thats what this is sposed to do...they do it on the jets around here too...I will let ya know, hopefully I wont have to pull the engine to get this done, but if so, rest assured I may be calling in some assistance!!

i misthreaded the damn thing and didnt realize it until it was too late...

my bike and I are developing a love/hate relationship...she's developing quite a taste for my blood as well as a distinct tendency to leave the most awful looking bruises everytime I work on her...probably payback for this issue...

Amber Lamps
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't know if this'll make sense but...how far in did you get the bolt before you realized your mistake? The bolt threads in approx 1" and if you only misthreaded it "alittle" 1/4 or so. With some patience you can get things back on track and be ok. Can you reach the otherside of the thread and run the bolt in that way to clean the threads up? If not,you can use the bolt,a tap that size would be better about $4 at Lowes,and lube it,carefully line it up with the hole and carefully re-thread the damaged part. You'll have to "wiggle" it around until you have it lined up,patience is of the utmost here!The key is if you have it right,the bolt should start to turn easily after you get past the damage. Sometimes it helps to drill out the bad part of the threads but you have to be VERY careful. The positive side of this is you won't be any worse off if it doesn't work so it's worth a try.

If this doesn't work,or if you'd rather not try,then I'd also reccomend a heilicoil. You can get it in your present size and you'd only have to do minimal drilling into the engine mount/frame. Good luck!

the chi
05-20-2008, 11:36 AM
thanks for the advice, unfortunately, when I do something, I do it WELL!!! It's completely and totally unfixable without doing a helocoil, time cert, or retap.

papapoi
05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
LMAO...yeah I can understand why that would be funny...

Chuck, i think thats what this is sposed to do...they do it on the jets around here too...I will let ya know, hopefully I wont have to pull the engine to get this done, but if so, rest assured I may be calling in some assistance!!

i misthreaded the damn thing and didnt realize it until it was too late...

my bike and I are developing a love/hate relationship...she's developing quite a taste for my blood as well as a distinct tendency to leave the most awful looking bruises everytime I work on her...probably payback for this issue...

Well ya know my number if ya need a hand. Friday i'm going to watch Indiana Jones :P.

the chi
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Well ya know my number if ya need a hand. Friday i'm going to watch Indiana Jones :P.

:lol: I think I am going this weekend too, been DYING to see it...but most likely working the bar this friday, working the day job Saturday evening and Sunday is the only day I have for fun and repairs! ugh!

No Worries
05-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the club. I stripped out a bolt holding on my brake caliper to the fork. I got a Heli-coil kit from AAA Metric in Denver. Came with the correct drill, correct tap, stainless steel Heli-coils, and instructions.

papapoi
05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
:lol: I think I am going this weekend too, been DYING to see it...but most likely working the bar this friday, working the day job Saturday evening and Sunday is the only day I have for fun and repairs! ugh!

Well if ya wanna hang out or snatch out a gxsr Engine either works lol.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Dont JB weld.

Helicoil will work.

have you tried a tap and dye set? i had a stripped fairing bolt on my new bike and just re-tapped the thing. screw didnt exactly fit perfect anymore but it will come in and out on its own with a little patience.

again, dont JB... jb weld is like ducttaping your fender back on. or cargo netting your headlight assembly back on. (too bad hes not here to defend himself)

the chi
05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
i feel i should mention, I rarely use JB weld for anything...its kinda like super glue to me, if its possible, I can manage to glue myself or various odds and ends to whatever project I happen to be working on and completely jack it up...typically only an issue when it comes to adhesives tho, so rest assured, JB Weld will NOT be used on my bike at the present time...

Thank you everyone for the input, I greatly appreciate it!!

Trip
05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
been there, done that, got the t-shirt

heli coil it

I broke a bolt trying to get it off my SV's sub fairing to replace the undertail. It was torqued on about 400x more than it should of been and snapped right off when I went to loosen it. Had to drill it out and heli coil it.

Captain Morgan
05-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Hope you aren't like a guy I knew in the Air Force. We nicknamed him "The Destroyer." If it could be broken, he broke it. He once tried to replace a thermostat in his truck, proceeded to strip out the bolt and intake, then tried to drill and tap it. He managed to drill it ok, but then broke the tap off in the hole. Yes, the tap, the hardened steel tap.

the chi
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Hope you aren't like a guy I knew in the Air Force. We nicknamed him "The Destroyer." If it could be broken, he broke it. He once tried to replace a thermostat in his truck, proceeded to strip out the bolt and intake, then tried to drill and tap it. He managed to drill it ok, but then broke the tap off in the hole. Yes, the tap, the hardened steel tap.

:lol: No, im not that bad, typically I make a mistake only once, its usually fixable (unless I lose my temper), learn from it or a better way and it never happens again...and I am a master of "figuring", I can find out how something is done, sit and think on it for awhile and usually come up with an idiot proof way for me to do it. I learned a long time ago that if something can go wrong, it will...thus I strive to take all possible precautions, both before and during a job!! That guy must have had crazy skills to do that!

Trip
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM

I am a lot like that with tools.

pickle.of.doom
05-20-2008, 02:42 PM

LoL we have a guy like that in my classes at school. Nickname is "Hammer" :D

Ironically, he is the only student in the shop that is NOT allowed to pick up a hammer :lol:

papapoi
05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
:lol: No, im not that bad, typically I make a mistake only once, its usually fixable (unless I lose my temper), learn from it or a better way and it never happens again...and I am a master of "figuring", I can find out how something is done, sit and think on it for awhile and usually come up with an idiot proof way for me to do it. I learned a long time ago that if something can go wrong, it will...thus I strive to take all possible precautions, both before and during a job!! That guy must have had crazy skills to do that!

I CALL BS!!!:whistle:

J/K

Gas Man
05-21-2008, 11:47 PM
YOu have the right idea Rae...

A tap & dye set is a garage must. I used the shit out of mine this winter during the build. Even if it was just cleaning out threads have the time the taps were a life safer.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day1001.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day1003.jpg

It sucks but it happens sometimes... I had to drill one out a few weeks ago when I tried to tight this grade 8.8 chrome heat shielf bolt on the front pipe exhaust. The red loctite had the threads good, but the heat from the exhaust made the bolt too brittle to take the grunt needed to break loose a red loctited bolt.

SNAP!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/snap002.jpg

Drilled it out and tapped it...
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/snap003.jpg

Takes some time but wasn't too bad by the end of the day.

Amber Lamps
05-22-2008, 02:22 AM
YOu have the right idea Rae...

A tap & dye set is a garage must. I used the shit out of mine this winter during the build. Even if it was just cleaning out threads have the time the taps were a life safer.

It sucks but it happens sometimes... I had to drill one out a few weeks ago when I tried to tight this grade 8.8 chrome heat shielf bolt on the front pipe exhaust. The red loctite had the threads good, but the heat from the exhaust made the bolt too brittle to take the grunt needed to break loose a red loctited bolt.

SNAP!

Drilled it out and tapped it...

Takes some time but wasn't too bad by the end of the day.

Hey,don't forget my most used tool (it seems) EASY OUTS! I am a head snapping off/allen bolt stripping son of a bitch!!! In fact,I stripped an allen bolt swapping my frame sliders!!!

smileyman
05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
K, I read this real fast while talking to a customer and got
Rae
Idiot
Stripped
Slider
Stuck
Helicoil
and JB Weld
I got to slow down!

Captain Morgan
05-22-2008, 06:59 PM
K, I read this real fast while talking to a customer and got
Rae
Idiot
Stripped
Slider
Stuck
Helicoil
and JB Weld
I got to slow down!

All I got out of that was Rae stripped. I want pics!!! :drool:

JoJoYZF
05-22-2008, 11:26 PM

I second that notion

itgirl
05-23-2008, 08:08 AM
wow, rae! you work on your own bike? you are the perfect woman! i wired up my own turn signals once. that was a major accomplishment for me, and about as far as i go when it comes to bike projects. i'd like to go to bike mechanic school someday, since bikes are a passion. hubby thinks that's kinda silly though, not much job opportunity here (he says).

anyways, :dthumb: for you!

the chi
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
wow, rae! you work on your own bike? you are the perfect woman! i wired up my own turn signals once. that was a major accomplishment for me, and about as far as i go when it comes to bike projects. i'd like to go to bike mechanic school someday, since bikes are a passion. hubby thinks that's kinda silly though, not much job opportunity here (he says).

anyways, :dthumb: for you!

well, i have always been pretty independent, and I hate depending on others to do something I am perfectly capable of once I learn how, so this was just logical for me...im not too good yet, but Im learning!! I'd love to go to school for bike mechanics too, that would be friggin sweet!! And who cares what he thinks, really?! Do what you want to do!

papapoi
05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Gotta learn some how. so ya stripsome boltholes here and there but ya learning. Sorry rae couldn't resist.:sorry:

the chi
05-23-2008, 11:11 AM
i'll try and remember to punch you next time I see you...

:lol:

papapoi
05-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Wooot BRING ON THE PAIN!!!! is whipping included or is that extra? j/k

smileyman
05-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Just don't let her install your sliders!:zowned:

Gas Man
05-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey,don't forget my most used tool (it seems) EASY OUTS! I am a head snapping off/allen bolt stripping son of a bitch!!! In fact,I stripped an allen bolt swapping my frame sliders!!!

I fuckin hate easy outs. There is nothing easy about them. Or is it that I always snap hardend bolts.. not sure! :panic:

What?? I want pics too!!! :drool:

Dnyce
05-24-2008, 01:36 AM
i vote drill & tap, grade 8 bolt-super easy

hey gman did u try heating up that bolt to break the red loctite seal? that works/helps sometimes

Gas Man
05-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Did I try to heat it? Is that a joke question? FUCKIN A I tried! I even ran the bike (the bolt was on the exhaust about 3" from the head). Didn't FUCKIN help! FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK

Amber Lamps
05-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Did I try to heat it? Is that a joke question? FUCKIN A I tried! I even ran the bike (the bolt was on the exhaust about 3" from the head). Didn't FUCKIN help! FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK

Hey question,why is red loctite even necessary? Isn't blue good enough for basically everything? I always thought that loctite was to keep bolts from "vibrating" out.

Gas Man
05-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Red is for bolts that you don't want to remove or for high vibration. Its a simple higher strength.

ceo012384
05-25-2008, 11:36 PM
^On that note, anyone know a good place to get the 242 (blue) and the red loctite in larger bottles for a decent price? The tiny little squeeze tubes are a ripoff...

Oh and GM by 'high vibration' do you mean... umm... your ENTIRE BIKE? :lol:

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:46 AM
^On that note, anyone know a good place to get the 242 (blue) and the red loctite in larger bottles for a decent price? The tiny little squeeze tubes are a ripoff...

Oh and GM by 'high vibration' do you mean... umm... your ENTIRE BIKE? :lol:

:zowned:

btw I saw either 4oz or 8oz threadlocker at the auto parts store.

Gas Man
05-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Yeah actually that is true... the entire bike is a giant vibrator... But hey... at least you know why your girl left you for me! :D

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah actually that is true... the entire bike is a giant vibrator... But hey... at least you know why your girl left you for me! :D

Yep,that wasn't loctite caked on that bolt.....:whistle:

the chi
05-26-2008, 06:24 PM

well, this would be exactly how I feel after yesterdays project. FUCKIN A!!!

Started about 12:30, ended 12:30, jesus christ it SUCKED!!! 12 hours of work for 10 minutes of actual repair!! Altho assuming I have to do this again, I will be MUCH faster...

Had to basically drop the entire motor, which was one issue after another, but let me tell ya, I am now one bad ass dremel user, I have fabricated my own goddamn tool for the spacer bolts that compress the engine in the frame an am saving it for future use.

My radiator is zip tied in one mount space since the damn thing was apparently damaged after my accident in October, but it wasnt till we tried getting it back in that we realized it.

And a few other minor issues that were all resolved in the end, just tiring and irritating, but Dragon ready!! Whew!

Trip
05-26-2008, 06:46 PM
sounds like a fun time, now I need to get dragon ready, my front is shot and my rear isn't far behind it.

Captain Morgan
05-26-2008, 06:51 PM
well, this would be exactly how I feel after yesterdays project. FUCKIN A!!!

Started about 12:30, ended 12:30, jesus christ it SUCKED!!! 12 hours of work for 10 minutes of actual repair!! Altho assuming I have to do this again, I will be MUCH faster...

Had to basically drop the entire motor, which was one issue after another, but let me tell ya, I am now one bad ass dremel user, I have fabricated my own goddamn tool for the spacer bolts that compress the engine in the frame an am saving it for future use.

My radiator is zip tied in one mount space since the damn thing was apparently damaged after my accident in October, but it wasnt till we tried getting it back in that we realized it.

And a few other minor issues that were all resolved in the end, just tiring and irritating, but Dragon ready!! Whew!

I hate it when things that should be easy aren't anywhere near easy. BTW, check and replace those zipties regularly. Otherwise, they will wear out and crack, then eventually break.

ceo012384
05-28-2008, 12:54 AM
:zowned:

btw I saw either 4oz or 8oz threadlocker at the auto parts store.
Yeah I know it comes in larger sizes than the tiny squeeze tube, but I was curious about some decent pricing.

I found a 250mL bottle but it was friggin 100 bucks! :panic:
Based on the girls I've dated, whichever one it was, you can fuckin' have her :lol:

smileyman
05-28-2008, 01:12 PM
I hate it when things that should be easy aren't anywhere near easy. BTW, check and replace those zipties regularly. Otherwise, they will wear out and crack, then eventually break.

Yup Yup! Zip ties don't heat cycle well!!!

Dnyce
05-28-2008, 01:16 PM

:blowup::ss::dvrofl:

i kno your pain lol

Gas Man
05-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanks... sharing in the pain makes my vageen feel slightly better! :D

Dnyce
05-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks... sharing in the pain makes my vageen feel slightly better! :D

2 motor mount bolts, they were grade 8, or hardened, or somethin. they were gay. looked just like your exhaust pipe, just bigger bolts, side by side in the frame. bottom of the frame, i didnt have a lift=me sittin on the ground with a drill for a long time :panic:

speakin of vibrators-any1 ever use that viberider to fuck with chicks? supposedly you put it in your passenger seat and it works off engine rpm-vibes harder the more u rev it.

Gas Man
05-30-2008, 12:59 PM
That is gay. and so is the viberider... get a real mans bike and you won't need that crap... mine vibrates like it belongs to a porn slut.

dReWpY
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
wondered why you went from a perfectly good zx9 to a mobile i-vibe