PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!...... bike not runnin' right

jalaan1
05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
ok guys here's the story...........

after my accident in Aug. of last year, i rode the bike one day in October to make sure it was running right, wheels not bent, forks straight etc.....
and also got the inspection done. everything felt and sounded fine.

winter came around, then FF to about 3 weeks ago.
i adjusted the slack on the chain for the first time went for a ride around the neighborhood everything was good.

now this is where the frustration starts.....
the very next day, it was a beautiful day and wanted to go for a ride.
get about 2 blocks away from the house and eng. dies. starts right back up,
get another block and eng. dies again. i figure maybe i need gas.
starts up again, go to the gas station and fill up.
pull out of the station dies again. starts back up now it surges back an forth with power, exhaust backfires, lose power and dies again. (WTF!! :panic:)
starts up again ride down the block, into 2nd gear and same thing.
start it up once again then dies on me just in time for me to coast into my driveway.

OK,
last Sun. buddy of mine told me to "let the bike run for while, and crack the throttle a few good times".
did that, went around the block and same thing.

it starts and idles fine, but when i ride it loses power and dies.
also while it's idling in neutral and i roll it forward it cuts off.

sorry for the long post guys.
any help or ideas would greatly be appreciated.
TIA.

papapoi
05-21-2008, 11:49 AM
How long was the bike sitting gas can go bad if it sits to long with out fuel treatment.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 01:24 PM
at first i was thinking loose kickstand sensor, vibrations = engine cut off while moving. But that doesnt explain it dieing in N. Bad gass sounds plausible, but if the bike is starting and idleing fine then it shouldnt pose a problem (didyou put stabil in the tank this winter?) Then i'd think about your carbs, maybe they arent tunned properly and your bowls are flooded or fuel is being blocked from getting in (again cause of bad gas, whatever) but then your bike wouldnt just start right up.

in other words wtf.

jalaan1
05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
How long was the bike sitting gas can go bad if it sits to long with out fuel treatment.

from Oct. to about amonth ago with about 1/4 tank of gas.
but i did start it up a few times in between.

in other words wtf.

i was thinking bad gas as well but it idles and starts fine.
i still don't get the cutting off when rolled forward in N.

pickle.of.doom
05-21-2008, 02:16 PM
WHat bike? Carbs or FI?

jalaan1
05-21-2008, 02:23 PM
'99 Kawi. zx-7r, carbs

Dnyce
05-21-2008, 02:29 PM
metal tank? coulda got some surface rust goin on, made its way to the filter, thru the filter, into the carbs. my bike did the same thing when i first got it, had been sittin around. gotta clean the tank, change the fuel lines and filter, clean the carbs. about two hours and 15-20bucks

or the fuel could just have gummed up the carbs. gotta clean em. bout a hour and 5 bucks

Amber Lamps
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
metal tank? coulda got some surface rust goin on, made its way to the filter, thru the filter, into the carbs. my bike did the same thing when i first got it, had been sittin around. gotta clean the tank, change the fuel lines and filter, clean the carbs. about two hours and 15-20bucks

or the fuel could just have gummed up the carbs. gotta clean em. bout a hour and 5 bucks

:iagree: I would start with the fuel filter,it's an easy fix and inexpensive. The only other thing I can think of is a fault tip sensor or fuel pump.

OTB
05-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Dump the gas. Even with new gas on top, the stuff has a lot of precip. Try running a few ounces of Yamaha carb clearer into them, let them sit an hour or so, then drain and fill the tank with fresh gas. Oftime the bike will run with old gas until you put a load on it (sounds like what is happening) This MAY cure the problem, but chances are the carbs are munged up.

You didn't say how many miles are on the bike, and how many miles are on the plugs. If you only ran the bike at high idle and no load in the garage since OCTOBER, pretty good chance the plugs are all sooted up, too.

If new gas, some Yamaha carb cleaner and new plugs fix most of the issues but it's still a little balky, try a few tankfuls of Chevron, or buy some Techron from your local auto parts store. This stuff works, as long as the carb orifaces and channels aren't COMPLETELY plugged. Couple tankfuls of gas with Techron really does make stored bikes run better.

marko138
05-21-2008, 03:05 PM
How bout this...is the negative battery cable tight?

pickle.of.doom
05-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I would run some Seafoam through it too... Sucks up any moisture you may have in there, and helps keep the carbs clean. I would drain the gas, add new gas, add some seafoam to the new gas, change the plugs, fire 'er up and go for a ride.

Stabil = add in the fall before you put it away for the winter.
Seafoam = add in the spring if you forgot to add the stabil in the fall.

OTB
Just reread your post:

Also, storing the bike with less than a full tank means condensation (water) gets in the tank....bet when you drain it you've got drops of water in the bottom of your tank. Use a kerosene bellows type syphon pump with (the type with clear tubing) to get everything out to the far back corner of the tank.

I've got 5 bucks says you've got water in the tank.......

marko138
And next year follow proper winter storage procedure to avoid this.

Dnyce
05-21-2008, 03:29 PM
And next year dont stop riding to avoid this.

fixed it

snow tires ftw!

dubbs
05-21-2008, 03:34 PM
fixed it

snow tires ftw!

True that, I live close to this guy and after 2 winters I have yet to store my bike..

Not sure about the bike man, Good luck..

6doublefive321
05-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm with OTB. I guarantee you have water in the gas after storing with 1/4 tank of gas. Water in the gas is funny, in that it will actually roll around on the bottom of the tank and cause intermittent problems. Also, water in the tank usually doesn't cause a big miss until the engine is under load. Water in the tank also means rust in the tank. Bite the bullet, pull the tank, clean it completely, inspect for rust (inside and out), clean the filter, change the plugs, and either pull the carbs and clean them or maybe get lucky and use the Techron route. Everyone has made this mistake in the past, but NEVER store a bike, car, or boat with less than a full tank of gas.

Good luck and keep us posted.

jalaan1
05-21-2008, 05:37 PM
thanks for all the help so far guys, will do EVERYTHING suggested.

didn't have this problem the begining of last season 'cause i did store it properly. it's just that the injury from my accident in Aug. really slowed me down with bike maintainance.
i guess now i'm paying for it.

thanks again guys.
:twfix:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 05:56 PM
How bout this...is the negative battery cable tight?

yea again, dont forget to check the obvious stuff. look for loose wires, screws, etc.

jalaan1
05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
yeah, checked that first.

t-homo
05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
try running some jet fuel through it. I was having kinda the same thing going on with my blast. A friend suggested getting the super high octane jet fuel to clean out the system. After running that through, the blast was back to normal.

OTB
05-21-2008, 08:15 PM
try running some jet fuel through it. I was having kinda the same thing going on with my blast. A friend suggested getting the super high octane jet fuel to clean out the system. After running that through, the blast was back to normal.

Jet A? Is nothing but parrafinized Kerosene. Jet B (JP4) is naptha-kerosene. Unless you want swelled seals I would stay away from that little trick.....

jalaan1
05-21-2008, 09:24 PM
yeah, i would be hesitant to try something like that.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-21-2008, 09:27 PM
yeah, i would be hesitant to try something like that.

try rocket fuel. liquid hydrogen baby. or better yet, try to create nuclear fusion and harness the power of the atom inside your bike.

No Worries
05-21-2008, 09:32 PM
When ever a bike starts normally, but then dies when the bike is moved, I suspect an ignition problem. And Kawi's are known for their safety switches that shut off the ignition. If a bike sat for a long time with the kickstand down, I would suspect the kickstand safety switch. Could also be the neutral switch, the emergency switch, clutch switch, ignition switch, or any of the connectors between said switches.

If it was my bike, when it died, I would pull a plug wire and connect it to an old spark plug laying on the engine. If it didn't fire immediately when cranked, it's an ignition problem.

Even better, I have an old timing light. Connected over any spark plug wire, it will tell you if that wire is getting spark. Plus, no one ever checks the ignition timing anymore, assuming that electronic ignition is infallible. I've had two of the spark units (ignition advance) fail on my CBR. The ignition stays at TDC, and the bike accelerates slowly, and everybody thinks the problem is the carbs. Nobody knew what the problem was until I checked the ignition timing.

Amber Lamps
05-21-2008, 10:34 PM
When ever a bike starts normally, but then dies when the bike is moved, I suspect an ignition problem. And Kawi's are known for their safety switches that shut off the ignition. If a bike sat for a long time with the kickstand down, I would suspect the kickstand safety switch. Could also be the neutral switch, the emergency switch, clutch switch, ignition switch, or any of the connectors between said switches.

If it was my bike, when it died, I would pull a plug wire and connect it to an old spark plug laying on the engine. If it didn't fire immediately when cranked, it's an ignition problem.

Even better, I have an old timing light. Connected over any spark plug wire, it will tell you if that wire is getting spark. Plus, no one ever checks the ignition timing anymore, assuming that electronic ignition is infallible. I've had two of the spark units (ignition advance) fail on my CBR. The ignition stays at TDC, and the bike accelerates slowly, and everybody thinks the problem is the carbs. Nobody knew what the problem was until I checked the ignition timing.

That's what I was thinking too. He mentioned a crash and that's what made me suspect the emergency switch. I'm no master mechanic but one thing I do know. Always start with the simple shit and checking the switches is VERY,VERY easy. The emer. switch kills the fuel pump if I'm not mistaken which would cause the engine to work for awhile and then quit. Ah I don't know. He said it ran ok until he moved it which sounds like electrical shorts/probs.

Gas Man
05-21-2008, 11:35 PM
first off... jet fuel is a distillate. Closest thing to what normal people think is Kerosene. DO NOT PUT THAT IN YOUR BIKE!!!!!!

Second, while I think dumping the old gas for fresh fresh stuff and running seafoam and new plugs is a good idea. I'm leaning more towards electrical. I would check/test all the safety switches first then go towards the ignition system.

This is where I tell you... buy a service manual as well. It will tell you how to do all the above.

marko138
05-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I'll say again...check that negative battery cable.

jalaan1
05-22-2008, 03:07 PM
thanks guys.
( other than the jet fuel ) will do all above.

yeah, Gman i'm in the proccess of trying to get a service manual.

guess i got my work cut out for me.

Amber Lamps
05-23-2008, 02:58 AM
thanks guys.
( other than the jet fuel ) will do all above.

yeah, Gman i'm in the proccess of trying to get a service manual.

guess i got my work cut out for me.

I don't know how many block lists I've made but if you get this...
https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSearch_Frames.cfm?QuickSearch=1&SearchFor=ZX750%2DP4&SearchBy=Model&cGroupID=&CFID=1315735&CFTOKEN=47863294

Hopefully this comes up as a parts breakdown for you bike,I've haven't found the service manual for free YET!!!

Gas Man
05-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I'll say again...check that negative battery cable.
Would you please check BOTH of the battery cables just to calm Marko down!!!!????!!!!!

Honestly its not a bad thing to check anyway... just don't tell Marko that!

marko138
05-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Would you please check BOTH of the battery cables just to calm Marko down!!!!????!!!!!

Honestly its not a bad thing to check anyway... just don't tell Marko that!
As you know, jackass, a loose battery cable causes alot of problems...many of them similar to the ones he is describing.

Amber Lamps
05-23-2008, 05:53 PM
J,it's your tip over sensor I GUARANTEE it! I just dealt with a similar problem on a buddy's bike. Intermittent prob. Runs good,then you move it and WHAM!!! fucking dies! Scratch your head,start it again,move it WHAM!!! fucking quits!!! Tip over sensor Regis for the million dollars final answer! On Suzukis it's located in front of the battery housing,I was looking over the German service manual I have for your bike,and I speak German,but all the technical terms are kicking my ass! I'll keep looking but I'm sure that's it. His was off it's perch and dangling so it would work depending on how it was laying.

jalaan1
05-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Marko, Gman i will def. check the battery cables as well as everything else stated above this weekend.

Tig. that sounds about right.
keep me posted.
thanks again.

:twfix:

jalaan1
05-31-2008, 12:49 AM
think i got it!!!!!!!

first off thanks guys for all the help and suggestions.

alright, took everything apart, and it looked to me that the fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel filter was kinked and being pinched between the tank and a part of the frame.
while i had everything apart i put in new plugs, got a new fuel line and sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle bodies.
wanted to change the fuel filter and air filter but the closest dealers near me didn't have 'em in stock. so just waitnig for them to arrive then i'll change them out.( now that i know how to do it)
oh, and while i was there showing the parts guy my fuel filter and line, found out that the filter i had wasn't the right one.:idk:

anyway started the bike up and went for a short ride with no problems.
so i think i got it.

:dthumb:

Mr Lefty
05-31-2008, 01:28 AM
awesome! congrats

NONE_too_SOFT
05-31-2008, 04:30 PM
think i got it!!!!!!!

first off thanks guys for all the help and suggestions.

alright, took everything apart, and it looked to me that the fuel line coming from the tank to the fuel filter was kinked and being pinched between the tank and a part of the frame.
while i had everything apart i put in new plugs, got a new fuel line and sprayed some carb cleaner in the throttle bodies.
wanted to change the fuel filter and air filter but the closest dealers near me didn't have 'em in stock. so just waitnig for them to arrive then i'll change them out.( now that i know how to do it)
oh, and while i was there showing the parts guy my fuel filter and line, found out that the filter i had wasn't the right one.:idk:

anyway started the bike up and went for a short ride with no problems.
so i think i got it.

:dthumb:

be sure to measure the caliper displacement and the set the idle speed at 15 mph before you go out.

jalaan1
05-31-2008, 05:00 PM
be sure to measure the caliper displacement and the set the idle speed at 15 mph before you go out.

explain please.:idk:
excuse the ignorance.

marko138
05-31-2008, 05:03 PM
explain please.:idk:
excuse the ignorance.
He's being a jackass. Ignore him.

jalaan1
05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
doh!

thanks marko.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-31-2008, 05:32 PM
doh!

thanks marko.

dont forget to pick up this essential while you're at it.
http://kalecoauto.com/images/BlinkFluid.jpg