PDA

View Full Version : Rally the Void

derf
06-15-2010, 10:50 PM
So after years of reading folks Iron Butt Rally stories, and all the stories from the lesser rallies (Iron butt Lite, Spank, plus all the other 24 and 48 hour rallies) I have finally taken the plunge into this... I signed up for the Void 24 hour rally on October. Looks like I have some preparing to do to get my bike ready for this, gonna need some heated gear and what not.

The void is a road rally along the lines of the 11 day Iron butt, but it is much shorter and limited to 24 hours. Along the way, the task is to collect proof of visiting locations worth various amounts while completing and documenting a saddle sore 1000.

I'm sure you will hear more on this subject from me in the near future.

http://www.rallythevoid.org/index.html

Gas Man
06-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't get it... or maybe I'm too tired.

NONE_too_SOFT
06-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I don't get it... or maybe I'm too tired.

he wants to ride 1000 miles in 10 days in one day. i think.

derf
06-15-2010, 11:53 PM
Its a 1 day version of the Iron but rally

NONE_too_SOFT
06-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Its a 1 day version of the Iron but rally

isnt the iron butt supposed to be done in one day to begin with?

derf
06-16-2010, 12:18 AM
isnt the iron butt supposed to be done in one day to begin with?

No the Iron butt is an 11 day and 11,000 mile scavenger hunt. The Iron Butt Association certifies Saddle Sore 1000, 1000 miles in 24 hours. There are a ton of other rides that they certify though

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

Mr Lefty
06-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I've got my plans to attempt 3...

50cc... Coast to Coast in 50hrs Jacksonville to San Diego... but going to actually put my rear tire in the Atlantic and find a way to put my front in the Pacific.

The Great Lakes Challenge... Ride around all the Great Lakes stopping at certain towns they have listed in 100hrs... it's about 2500 miles... so this wont' be too hard.... GAS you up for this?

and

National Parks Challenge... hit 50 National Parks, National Monuments or what ever in at least 25 different states in 1 year.

Gas Man
06-16-2010, 08:35 AM
That would be awesome ebbs. But to tackle in 100 hrs may be suicide! Not to mention... talk about screwing yourself in enjoying a fantastic ride.

Mr Lefty
06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Naw... they also have one for 50 hrs. THAT is suicide

KSGregman
06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't get the whole "x number of miles in y hours" for a certifcation thing....it defeats the entire purpose of getting on the bike to me....I ride to FORGET about schedules....responsibilities...all of that "real world " shit. Riding just to complete a certain number of miles in a certain amount of time sounds just like work to me. No thanks....

Cass
06-16-2010, 03:44 PM
It's a personal test of endurance, or so I've been told. You don't have to do breakneck speeds to accomplish their rides for certification.

Enjoy the VOID man... you'll meet some awesome folks :)

Mr Lefty
06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't get the whole "x number of miles in y hours" for a certifcation thing....it defeats the entire purpose of getting on the bike to me....I ride to FORGET about schedules....responsibilities...all of that "real world " shit. Riding just to complete a certain number of miles in a certain amount of time sounds just like work to me. No thanks....

I here ya... but they're challenges. Most of my trips are meant to get lost in my surroundings. That's why I'm rarely on schedule.... ask Gas Man. But if I need to make it to point B by such and such time.... I'll be ther with time to spare.

These,to me are about doing something different just to say I did .... like riding to Omaha on Dec 23rd.... or a 4,000+trip on a DRZ

derf
06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
This is more than just 1k miles, its a scavenger hunt too. Thats where the hard part is, finding random locations while doing the miles.

On a side note I do enjoy just knocking miles down on a highway, looking at the scenery and enjoy being alone with my thoughts.

Full Throttle
06-16-2010, 10:31 PM
So what do you get when you complete the run?

derf
06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
So what do you get when you complete the run?

I dunno? I think a sticker for finishing and a small trophy for wining

Full Throttle
06-17-2010, 04:29 AM
I dunno? I think a sticker for finishing and a small trophy for wining

I think ill keep my 40 or so dollars they charge you and just do the ride for the hell of it sometime. I want to do a coast to coast ride and a 49 state ride. I just want to see the Pacific. Oregon trail here i come lol.

Mr Lefty
06-17-2010, 08:05 AM
I think you get a patch and pin... as well as a certificate, and maybe a trophy.

the award isn't what you pay the $40 for... it's for the experience of doing something fun/difficult/ and pointless with other people who are after the same goal.

Life is too short to only do things that have a point... besides... the pointless things are the ones that make the best memories, in my experiences

derf
06-17-2010, 08:56 AM
I think you get a patch and pin... as well as a certificate, and maybe a trophy.

the award isn't what you pay the $40 for... it's for the experience of doing something fun/difficult/ and pointless with other people who are after the same goal.

Life is too short to only do things that have a point... besides... the pointless things are the ones that make the best memories, in my experiences

I think you get a steak dinner too. But yeh what ebbs said, its something new that looks interesting and fun.

Cass
06-17-2010, 11:04 AM
It's the experience of it, and the people you meet, that make it worth the $

I was involved peripherally in a couple of rallies and other long-distance events, and even I had a good time.... regardless of the fact that most of the participants were old enough to be my parents or grandparents :lol

derf
06-17-2010, 12:34 PM

I was involved peripherally in a couple of rallies and other long-distance events, and even I had a good time.... regardless of the fact that most of the participants were old enough to be my parents or grandparents :lol

Yeh the folks ive met are mostly retirees, but still a cool bunch.

I really like travel by bike, its a great experience, and I have some lofty goals too. Around 2024 I have a round the world trip planned, with the only goal being to go everywhere. I would like to do more traveling, along the lines of what grex does on his busa

Full Throttle
06-17-2010, 08:28 PM
I think you get a steak dinner too. But yeh what ebbs said, its something new that looks interesting and fun.

I was under the impression that this was mostly solo stuff or with a few friends i didn't realize you went with a group of people. My bad. But on the Solo rides they have i wouldn't pay i would just ride them.

Mr Lefty
06-17-2010, 08:48 PM
I was under the impression that this was mostly solo stuff or with a few friends i didn't realize you went with a group of people. My bad. But on the Solo rides they have i wouldn't pay i would just ride them.

the RALLY's are just that... a group of people...

the ones I listed are individual challenges... I want to do them with someone... as it'd be a hell of a lot easier IMO...

I can push my self... but often talk my self into stopping early.

Like with my ride from Gaylord MI to Trips... we rode 740 miles... with out Gas and Capt. Avery there to entertain me and shoot the shit with at the gas stops... I'd have stopped and just called it a night at 600 miles...

but having them there kept me from even thinking about stopping. shit to be honest... I could have ridden another 260 miles that night and gotten an Iron butt on a fucking DRZ...

just gotta find someone who's of the same (fucked) mind set

derf
06-17-2010, 10:38 PM
No, this can be a solo or a group event. I'm going to do it solo, but you bump into people doing the same thing at the same spots all day, plus at the end you get to swap stories and drink beer. Its very much a social event. Again, to me it sounds like fun and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cass
06-17-2010, 11:45 PM

You ride your own ride. You can pair up with others if you wanna. I was talking about the ending events... they usually have a banquet/social dinner along with award presentations. With the really big rides, they usually have a start banquet and an end banquet. You'll run into other folks doing the same event, during the event. While it is competitive, it's still very much about the camaraderie before, during, and after. What did you do to your bike and why, have you thought about this, can you help me with that, what's the best road you've been on, have you been here, what got you started.... these folks can talk for days :)

No, this can be a solo or a group event. I'm going to do it solo, but you bump into people doing the same thing at the same spots all day, plus at the end you get to swap stories and drink beer. Its very much a social event. Again, to me it sounds like fun and I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes.. exactly :) you will have fun!