PDA

View Full Version : Lift review (not sure where to put this)

nhgunnut
05-24-2008, 07:23 AM
I am not sure where to put this but I finally had reason to use the lift table my wife gave me for my birthday . Here is the link

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94813

And my 2 cents on the product.
It arrives at the store in a flat rather large box weight around 375 lbs. ( the store loaded it and a friend help me get it out of the pickup) Assembly consists of bolting the chalk in place, and screwing the handle on the safety bar. (easiest method of unpacking is to bust the box from around it)
The quality is certainly good for the home tinkerer but would be considered fair, at best for a pro shop. The lift peddle is cast and looks cheap and seems unlikely to stand up to hard use (I can see a home built replacement coming) Also the pedal is not sprung to return to a Neutral Position so if you take your foot off while it is in the down position it will continue to go down (again likely to be resolved after bike season) The Handle used to move the lift about is piece of bent pipe with wheels bolted to it again very cheap but functional for now.
It is easy to move about and at 24 inches wide, and stores against the wall in my garage with no difficulty leaving room for my wife’s 2 bikes on that side of the garage. The lift is easily moved into place when you are ready to use it. When fully lowered I found that the angle of the short removable ramp that comes with the lift is a bit too steep for me to be comfortable with so with a 2x4 and some 3/4 “ plywood made a 2’ ramp extension that makes getting bikes on and off a bit more manageable.
The lift has no difficulty moving the bike up and down (I had the Busa on it and based on its performance I have no doubt it will lift our Goldwings) Oh and what a relief to not have to crawl around on the floor and to be able to change the height as needed. My fifty year old cut out of cars twice back loves this!
Now the down side the 24” width makes it easy to store but awfully thin for a bigger bike and I found myself having to move the safety straps to get clearance on a couple of occasions Also it is not wide enough to use the kick stand so in my case at least it is best to have a second person to move the bike on and off the lift. I suspect I will have to budget for these

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94830
and give up the additional 20” of space.
Overall I would give fit and finish a 7.5 out of 10 and recommend it for the home user.

Gas Man
05-25-2008, 02:31 PM
I have seen those... they ok for the money.

I know a little about nice lifts....

What's on Gas Man's Lift[56k will hate the world] (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=782)