PDA

View Full Version : Gilles Shift Shaft Support

Amber Lamps
05-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Ok,I know I mentioned the shaft support when I posted about my bike but now that I've had a chance to ride my bike in a more "sport" oriented fashion,I just wanted to do a short review.
No one has even accused the GSXR of being a bad shifter,infact it's considered by many to be quite "smooth" but there was room for improvement and it has come in the form of this support from Gilles, http://www.gillestooling.com/en/produkte/sp/index.php. The piece is extremely simple in construction and form. Quite frankly,I doubted the veracity of Gilles' claim upon first inspection. I was severely mistaken! Gilles has identified a problem and correctly addressed it! This small piece of aluminum has taken a good shifting bike and tranformed it into perfection. I cannot get the bike to miss a shift now. No matter how "choppy" of "abrupt" I try to shift,it always goes into the next or previous gear perfectly. Infact,it ALMOST shifts too easily. 1st to 2nd is buttery smooth and accessing the remainder of the gearbox is effortless. I reccomend this part to anyone who owns a bike they manfacture one for. I paid about $60 for mine and it was worth every cent. Trust me,you will not be disappointed!

Phenix_Rider
05-25-2008, 01:11 PM
What's it do? Just extend the flange on the case out another 1/4"?

Amber Lamps
05-25-2008, 02:02 PM
What's it do? Just extend the flange on the case out another 1/4"?

Basically,but you have to understand that the engine case doesn't support the shaft,for the most part. So,as it explains in the link I provided,the shaft is entended some distance from any support which allows it to flex and not transfer the complete motion of the shift arm. Causing vauge and/or missed shifts. They are right. If you take the shift arm off the shaft and try to move it laterally,on most bikes,you'll find that it moves very easily. Like I said previously,it's very simple but VERY effective! BTW,they don't make one for your bike.

Phenix_Rider
05-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Basically,but you have to understand that the engine case doesn't support the shaft,for the most part. So,as it explains in the link I provided,the shaft is entended some distance from any support which allows it to flex and not transfer the complete motion of the shift arm. Causing vauge and/or missed shifts. They are right. If you take the shift arm off the shaft and try to move it laterally,on most bikes,you'll find that it moves very easily. Like I said previously,it's very simple but VERY effective! BTW,they don't make one for your bike.

:lol: Wouldn't expect them to. Everyone's GOT to have a supersport.

Amber Lamps
05-25-2008, 02:57 PM
:lol: Wouldn't expect them to. Everyone's GOT to have a supersport.

Also,your bike might not need it...

Phenix_Rider
05-25-2008, 08:41 PM
Also,your bike might not need it...

Hey, it works just fine for me. May be a "budget" bike, but I've never missed a shift- other than (rarely) first to second/second to first. But that's expected of any bike, especially with the Kawi positive neutral finder.

ceo012384
05-25-2008, 11:28 PM

So if it essentially transforms the shift shaft from a cantilevered beam to a simply supported beam (two points), that thing fucking better have a bearing pressed into it. I assume it does? If so that's a great idea and a good investment.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:42 AM
So if it essentially transforms the shift shaft from a cantilevered beam to a simply supported beam (two points), that thing fucking better have a bearing pressed into it. I assume it does? If so that's a great idea and a good investment.

Needle type and it was basically designed for your bike in the first place. Check the link.

DLIT
05-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Needle type and it was basically designed for your bike in the first place. Check the link.

That pic is of the older R6's, not the new body. I've been to 6 track days on my R6 and have had no problems at all with shifting. Maybe on the older R6's though, I dunno.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:12 PM
That pic is of the older R6's, not the new body. I've been to 6 track days on my R6 and have had no problems at all with shifting. Maybe on the older R6's though, I dunno.

Yea could be...besides,I'm not saying that I was missing shifts or whatnot either. I'm saying that my bike was a good shifter before and now it's a fantastic shifter!

No Worries
05-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Looks great. So was there no bracket there before, or does this one replace a thinner bracket?

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
Looks great. So was there no bracket there before, or does this one replace a thinner bracket?

Right,there was nothing there so that allowed the shift shaft to move laterally when changing gears. This part eliminates that movement making shift more "direct" and "positive". It's hard to explain but it's a huge difference and until you experience it you won't really understand,I'm afraid.

ceo012384
05-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Doesn't look like they make one for my bike, Tigs.

marko138
05-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Doesn't look like they make one for my bike, Tigs.
They make something for mine....but I have no idea what it is b/c their website sucks the underside of my balls.

ceo012384
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
They make something for mine....but I have no idea what it is b/c their website sucks the underside of my balls.

:lol: yeah those foreigners... their website does suck.... but at the same time gilles makes some beautiful pieces of metalwork. Real high quality machining. Also pricey.