PDA

View Full Version : Tyres?

Trip
05-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Get over the euro title, it was just to get your attention...

Well I plum wore the tread off my street pilot powers. I had my suspension reworked today and wheeler took it for a test spin and he said it handled like a dump truck. I agreed, the front is just gone on it. Surprisingly the rear had some life left in it. Too many miles riding to work on super slab. So here is what I am looking. Which way would you go out of my choices, I will list my pro/cons?

1. A new set of pilot powers (pro: Good tire, I like it in all conditions, con: wear wasn't the greatest for my riding not at the gap)

2. Run my track corsa IIIs that have a couple track days and not worn too much and try out 2CTs for my next track day (pro: great tire for gap trips, con: hate it in the cold/rain and unknown wear on the super slab for around town, will miss track days it still has left in it)

3. Try something else (roads, road^2s, the replacement for the corsa, or other, would really like to find something similar to the road^2s without the cost) (pro: unknown, con: cost)

NONE_too_SOFT
05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
go with the corsas and give yourself a new excuse to get new tires. tyres.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Well,you could try the Rossos... then let me know what you think... Otherwise, you could check out what all the hype around the Contis is about..

Mr Lefty
05-26-2008, 01:06 AM
Try the Road CT2's... they're supposidly the same compound as the Powers on the sides... and a harder compound in the center for longer wear... sounds like the perfect tire for your commuting and gap riding...

depending on how the Diablo Strada's I have work on my trip... they (the Road CT2's) may be my next tire.... err tyre

DLIT
05-26-2008, 09:33 AM
You can get at least 5k miles out of the PP rear. Use that time to save up for another rear, the front'll still be fine.

t-homo
05-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I am looking at getting the Pirelli Stradas when I have the money/need to this summer. Supposed to get better grip than the PR, but 2ct.

No Worries
05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
3. Try something else (roads, road^2s, the replacement for the corsa, or other, would really like to find something similar to the road^2s without the cost) (pro: unknown, con: cost)

Try the new Avon Storm tyres: http://www.2wf.com/content/view/878/45/.

Trip
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
You can get at least 5k miles out of the PP rear. Use that time to save up for another rear, the front'll still be fine.

I already got about that on it and down to the wear bars on both, the front is worse though.

Well,you could try the Rossos... then let me know what you think... Otherwise, you could check out what all the hype around the Contis is about..

yeah those are the corsa replacments, only thing that worries me about those is that they are true slicks on the side and wouldn't be the best street tire especially if you get caught in the rain.

The Avons look interesting, I may have to research the wear on these.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I thought they go about the same distance to the edge...besides,when I get caught in the rain I never take any farther to the side than I have too! Here's the link http://www.us.pirelli.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/hypersport/none&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=90859&uri=/pirellityre/en_US/browser/xml/catalog/moto/MOTO_MV_DIABLOROSSO.xml

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:30 PM

Oh yea,that's another one,here Avon's link http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showtyre&id=25 and while I'm at it,here Conti's http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/motorcycle/themes/motorcycletires/folder_en.html

Trip
05-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I am liking the avon's, I may pick some up if I can get em here before the rally. I may end up on my track corsa III's if I can get any here and on before that.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:41 PM
I am liking the avon's, I may pick some up if I can get em here before the rally. I may end up on my track corsa III's if I can get any here and on before that.

I definitely like the specs of the Avon's and I ran them back in the day but I'm too in love with Pirelli right now to cheat on them. I'm definitely going with the Rosso as my next tire when my front wears out.

Cutty72
05-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to give the Conti Road Attacks a run as my next tire. Heard a lot of good things about 'em, and they are priced to compete.

OneSickPsycho
05-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I'd love to give you the lowdown on the PR2's, but my fucking bike did not last long enough to test them for real...

6doublefive321
05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
So who here has tried the Stradas? I just fried my Scorpion Sync @ ~ 3400 miles. Stradas are "supposed" to be be the best of both worlds. Any opinions?

Phenix_Rider
05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd love to give you the lowdown on the PR2's, but my fucking bike did not last long enough to test them for real...

Hopefully the Road 2s are better than the Roads. If you're doing any really aggressive riding, I'd stay away from them (the first gen). Right now I have my Roads 3 psi below stock just to feel decent, and finally they're building some heat. They don't grip very well on cold roads either.

I know plenty of SB people run the Diablo Stradas and love them. Couple locals here run the Conti's and say they're good.

t-homo
05-26-2008, 04:07 PM
So who here has tried the Stradas? I just fried my Scorpion Sync @ ~ 3400 miles. Stradas are "supposed" to be be the best of both worlds. Any opinions?

I will let you know at a later date. Those are my next choice for tires.

Cutty72
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Friend has them on his 96 YZF600. Over 6000 miles, a lot of superslab commuting, a little squaring, but not terrible.
He run's 'em edge to edge on fun weekends too, just not a track tire.

As a comparo, his strada's after 6000 miles look similar to my corsa III's after 2000 miles.

6doublefive321
05-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Friend has them on his 96 YZF600. Over 6000 miles, a lot of superslab commuting, a little squaring, but not terrible.
He run's 'em edge to edge on fun weekends too, just not a track tire.

As a comparo, his strada's after 6000 miles look similar to my corsa III's after 2000 miles.

There will be absolutely NO track time on my bike. Agressive riding on back roads, yes. Track days, no. From what I have read, the Stradas should do me well.

Mr Lefty
05-26-2008, 10:27 PM
I have the Strada's on my bike... the only comparison I can give you is to the Dunslop 208's I had stock... and they're night and day diffrence... but i don't know how much that's saying for the Strada's... as the Dunslops inspired fear... those things SUCK

I do like the Strada's so far... but honestly I've got less than 500 miles on them. I can give ya a better review after september though :lol:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
my tires are coming tomorrow, cant wait to step up from the dunlops i have on right now. I'm not really unhappy with the way the dunlops handle, they havent slipped on me or anything, but they just have a terrible fall in and really make you fight to lean hard.

i've still got 3-4k left on my rear and more on the front. i'll keep em, maybe sell em off to someone in need.

Rider
05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm close to 5K on my PP's and the front is almost shot as well.

Are the Dunlop Qualifiers any good? There is a local shop here going out of business that is selling them real cheap.

Amber Lamps
05-27-2008, 09:14 AM

Are the Dunlop Qualifiers any good? There is a local shop here going out of business that is selling them real cheap.

Hey,who's going out of business? Anyway,I liked the Dunlops better than the Bridgestones but not as much as the Pirellis. Grip is adaquate,very stable but a bit sluggish on initial turn in,quick warm-up. Alot of people don't like them but I felt they did a good job.

Trip
05-27-2008, 09:17 AM

They are not very good. They constantly felt slick to me and I could step the rear out with out much trouble at all. Wear was subpar as well.

Rider
05-27-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey,who's going out of business? Anyway,I liked the Dunlops better than the Bridgestones but not as much as the Pirellis. Grip is adaquate,very stable but a bit sluggish on initial turn in,quick warm-up. Alot of people don't like them but I felt they did a good job.

Powersports Parts on Division.

Amber Lamps
05-27-2008, 09:30 AM
They are not very good. They constantly felt slick to me and I could step the rear out with out much trouble at all. Wear was subpar as well.

Well,far be it for me to argue with Trip but I've hated ANY tire Dunlop has put out for over 20 years until the Qualifier. I honestly think they are "ok" for the average rider doing average riding. I don't think they are great or anything but I went back to them from Michelins....

NONE_too_SOFT
05-27-2008, 10:00 AM

my sentiments on the tire exactly.

They are at the lower end of the spectrum as far as "sport" tires go, but they aren't "bad". just dont own up to what Michelin or Pirelli puts out.

t-homo
05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Right now my bike has Shinko Advance tires on it. I haven't been able to do a ton of twisties at all, but what I have done it feels like I have to fuckin work to get the bike to turn into the corner. I'm sure part of that is going from a blast to an R1 though.

Trip
05-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Well,far be it for me to argue with Trip but I've hated ANY tire Dunlop has put out for over 20 years until the Qualifier. I honestly think they are "ok" for the average rider doing average riding. I don't think they are great or anything but I went back to them from Michelins....

I would agree with that statement, they are an okay tire. I tried them out once, only got about 3k out of them before I made it to the wear bars and started having serious traction problems. Compared to 4-5k with a PP. They are not an excellent tire, but average. If I could snag them for a great price, I would probably try em again.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Right now my bike has Shinko Advance tires on it. I haven't been able to do a ton of twisties at all, but what I have done it feels like I have to fuckin work to get the bike to turn into the corner. I'm sure part of that is going from a blast to an R1 though.

shinko tires are the cheapest tire out there for a reason.

t-homo
05-27-2008, 10:40 AM
yeah, with the rear at $130 for a 190, i wouldn't expect anything out of them. Needless to say, they will be replaced as soon as funds allow. I think I will try out diablo stradas.

Trip
05-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I think due to time restraints with needing it ready by wednesday next week for the rally, I am just going to slap my corsa IIIs on the bike and grab some 2CTs or another set of corsa IIIs (depending on how they last on the street) for my next track day in Nashville.

Rider
05-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Well when it comes down to buying my next set of tires, It's going to be the Pilot Road 2's. Unless of course I get a new bike first. :whistle:

Trip
05-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Well when it comes down to buying my next set of tires, It's going to be the Pilot Road 2's. Unless of course I get a new bike first. :whistle:

The only negative I heard about them so far is they don't have the turn in that the PPs do. You have to work for it a little more to get em to dive into the corner.

Rider
05-27-2008, 10:54 AM
The only negative I heard about them so far is they don't have the turn in that the PPs do. You have to work for it a little more to get em to dive into the corner.

Really? I wonder why? Could be the tread pattern. :idk:

Trip
05-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Really? I wonder why? Could be the tread pattern. :idk:

tire shape compared to a PP, but that is the only thing remotely negative about them. Some people have stated that a lot of people are getting them for wet weather track tires because of their awesome wet performance. 9k+ miles seem to be the norm.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-27-2008, 11:36 AM
just got my corsa III's in the mail today, the smell of rubber is intoxicating.

Rider
05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
just got my corsa III's in the mail today, the smell of rubber is intoxicating.

A full report is expected... after you break them in of course.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-27-2008, 11:59 AM
that will probobly wait until after deals gap next week. i dont even think i'll be able to get em on until thursday or friday this week.

Phenix_Rider
08-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Just got a Diablo front and Rosso rear. I'll have to post a review when I get some more miles on them. So far (27 miles) I like them better than anything else I've run. Which isn't comparing them to DCIIIs that I've ridden on demo bikes- because I didn't put enough miles on those to really know.

Trip
08-14-2008, 08:30 AM
PP 2CT's are ghey, don't get them.

Rider
08-14-2008, 08:50 AM
BT016's are even more ghey. They slip ALL the time.

Trip
08-14-2008, 08:59 AM

I think I will go to corsa IIIs again or dots

Gunther1000
08-14-2008, 02:34 PM

Really? I was considering them as my next choice.. Are we talking about street or track? If not its 002's for me!

Rider
08-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Really? I was considering them as my next choice.. Are we talking about street or track? If not its 002's for me!

I was just informed that the OEM BT016's are a different compound than the aftermarket.... Not sure why. Try them if you want.

Trip
08-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I was just informed that the OEM BT016's are a different compound than the aftermarket.... Not sure why. Try them if you want.

cheaper, saves the manufacturer money, the OEM qualifiers are worse than regular qualifiers as well.

the chi
08-14-2008, 03:21 PM
PP's FTW. I looked at getting the pirelli diablos when I got my last set a few weeks ago, but the PP's are so good all around I just cant bear to waste good money on something I am not sure about. At least not right now. Good for track, street, rain, wet...even cold I still like them. :dthumb:

Pickin up a used set this evening for the Indy trip. I think 4 sets of tires is more than enough to keep around...:lol:

Cutty72
08-14-2008, 03:27 PM
PP's are next on the 1125. Roads on the SV.
We shall see how they work.

Trip
08-14-2008, 04:18 PM
PP's FTW. I looked at getting the pirelli diablos when I got my last set a few weeks ago, but the PP's are so good all around I just cant bear to waste good money on something I am not sure about. At least not right now. Good for track, street, rain, wet...even cold I still like them. :dthumb:

Pickin up a used set this evening for the Indy trip. I think 4 sets of tires is more than enough to keep around...:lol:

PPs are great all around tires, I would pass on 2CTs though.