PDA

View Full Version : Father of future motorcycles

Trip
05-26-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.yankodesign.com/index.php/2008/05/22/suzukis-green-machine/

http://www.yankodesign.com/images/design_news/2008/05/22/crosscage2.jpg

The good folks at Suzuki are serious about going green and have been spotted testing their latest concept, the Suzuki Crosscage Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle. With no gears, no noise, no clutch and no emissions, this hydrogen fuel cell / electric hybrid two-wheeler just might be the future of motorcycles and is closer to reality than you might think. Seriously, there is a guy riding one in these pictures, you won’t hear it coming, but it is.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.yankodesign.com/index.php/2008/05/22/suzukis-green-machine/

http://www.yankodesign.com/images/design_news/2008/05/22/crosscage2.jpg

The good folks at Suzuki are serious about going green and have been spotted testing their latest concept, the Suzuki Crosscage Hydrogen Fuel Cell Motorcycle. With no gears, no noise, no clutch and no emissions, this hydrogen fuel cell / electric hybrid two-wheeler just might be the future of motorcycles and is closer to reality than you might think. Seriously, there is a guy riding one in these pictures, you won’t hear it coming, but it is.

Pretty cool,but I've never understood why companies feel the need to package new ideas in a "Buck Rodgers" fashion. They could throw a fuel cell power plant in a GSXR chassis just as well. To me,having a GSXR roll up silently would be more impressive.
BTW did you read the debate under the pics? Reminds me of this forum...

Trip
05-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Pretty cool,but I've never understood why companies feel the need to package new ideas in a "Buck Rodgers" fashion. They could throw a fuel cell power plant in a GSXR chassis just as well. To me,having a GSXR roll up silently would be more impressive.
BTW did you read the debate under the pics? Reminds me of this forum...

Yeah I hate that as well, it's like just do a normal bike dammit. :lol:

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah I hate that as well, it's like just do a normal bike dammit. :lol:

I think we've discussed this before but it's the same as with the Prius,why not just throw a hybrid set-up in a Celica and be done with it? I know that I'D be more likely to buy one!

JK
05-26-2008, 02:21 PM
interesting-

but isnt hydrogen made by boiling baby seals and polar bears in vats of nuclear oil?

t-homo
05-26-2008, 03:20 PM
interesting-

but isnt hydrogen made by boiling baby seals and polar bears in vats of nuclear oil?

Either that or nuclear fission, meaning atomic bomb.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-26-2008, 03:22 PM
interesting-

Either that or nuclear fission, meaning atomic bomb.

what?

no...

Dave
05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
obviously it cant be the bike of the future. that shits got forks. and no noise? no thanks buddy. my bike is obnoxiously loud but it keeps my happy ass intact :2cents:

DLIT
05-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Yeah, the no noise feature isn't appealing to me. And looking at the rear tire, it doesn't look like it puts out too much power with that skinny little thing. No gears or clutch? Gonna have to learn how to ride all over again. And it's a bike. People are buying them because of the extremely good gas mileage, why try to go green with something that already has outstanding mileage? Unless they have a tip on the future gas prices being totally fucking outrageous, now they're just outrageous.

Mr Lefty
05-27-2008, 01:49 AM
that thing can't have much on a 250 with only one front disc brake... and notice the rear bake is the same size? wonder if they're linked... fuck that... even Drewpy's bike gets better gas milage than 90% of the cars on the road...

Amber Lamps
05-27-2008, 03:21 AM
obviously it cant be the bike of the future. that shits got forks. and no noise? no thanks buddy. my bike is obnoxiously loud but it keeps my happy ass intact :2cents:

Ummm...that looks like a linked/levered shock up front or a single fork. Maybe you could set some playing cards up to make noise as you ride! Better yet,install an amp and speaker that makes a "vroom,vroom" sound as you happy ass goes down the road. Actually,thay would be kinda cool...cruising the strip picking up college chicks-crank it up!,4am and you're trying to sneak home past the wife-sound off.

Phenix_Rider
05-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Yeah, the no noise feature isn't appealing to me. And looking at the rear tire, it doesn't look like it puts out too much power with that skinny little thing. No gears or clutch? Gonna have to learn how to ride all over again. And it's a bike. People are buying them because of the extremely good gas mileage, why try to go green with something that already has outstanding mileage? Unless they have a tip on the future gas prices being totally fucking outrageous, now they're just outrageous.

Looks like more of a bicycle than a real motorcycle.

Trip
05-27-2008, 07:25 AM

gas isnt going to last forever with demand increasing everyday. Prices will keep rising, it's not going to get any better. Anything we can do to ease oil dependency the better for this country. I'd switch to hydrogen in everything I owned if the system would start putting out filling stations everywhere, the oil companies are going to fight that tooth and nail though.

DLIT
05-27-2008, 07:40 AM
If I ever go mental, I'mma start shooting people responsible for gas prices first.

Trip
05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
If I ever go mental, I'mma start shooting people responsible for gas prices first.

it's the stock market bastards that are driving it up right now.

DLIT
05-27-2008, 08:24 AM
it's the stock market bastards that are driving it up right now.

Kill 'em All.

Phenix_Rider
05-27-2008, 09:34 AM
gas isnt going to last forever with demand increasing everyday. Prices will keep rising, it's not going to get any better. Anything we can do to ease oil dependency the better for this country. I'd switch to hydrogen in everything I owned if the system would start putting out filling stations everywhere, the oil companies are going to fight that tooth and nail though.

Not necessarily. They'll get their dime from making the hydrogen. Unless someone gets enough renewable sources to manufacture hydrogen without depending on existing power plants or refining processes.

Trip
05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Not necessarily. They'll get their dime from making the hydrogen. Unless someone gets enough renewable sources to manufacture hydrogen without depending on existing power plants or refining processes.

true, you still use oil to make the hydrogen and deliver it. I still say we make a big wind farm out of north dakota.

Captain Morgan
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
gas isnt going to last forever with demand increasing everyday. Prices will keep rising, it's not going to get any better. Anything we can do to ease oil dependency the better for this country.

We could start buy turning off the lights around DLit's home!! Then we'd be able to use alot of the electricity from the Hoover Dam for the rest of the country to power the electric cars that companies are starting to build. We just need to figure out a way to get more miles per charge.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
We could start buy turning off the lights around DLit's home!! Then we'd be able to use alot of the electricity from the Hoover Dam for the rest of the country to power the electric cars that companies are starting to build. We just need to figure out a way to get more miles per charge.

we're headed in the right direction.

i gotta say though, im going to miss riding with petrol if it comes to that in my lifetime.

the chi
05-27-2008, 03:27 PM

wait, what? I thought that already happened!! (the going mental part) :lol:

Got to be the ugliest thing I have ever seen!!! I am all about saving the environment and doing the best we can by our world, but DAYUM, they do need to make them more attractive. Thats just way to gay to ever be worth the cash you'll be throwing down on it...

You know they invented all the technology we need to never have to refuel back in the 70's...

Trip
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
You know they invented all the technology we need to never have to refuel back in the 70's...

Is it a car that runs on water? Did you watch the That 70's show marathon on yesterday?

the chi
05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Is it a car that runs on water? Did you watch the That 70's show marathon on yesterday?

Nah, I dont watch tv, I just remember the info on that car, I think it was a hydrogen run vehicle, and basically NEVER needed to be refueled, but the oil companies did block its production because it would put them out of business. But all the crap about its being so unstable and all was hype to scare people, the model, while it could be dangerous in certain circumstances (i think) it was perfectly viable...

its the same with the medical companies and such...there is technology in other countries that can actually cure or put into remission many forms of cancer, but they wont allow it in the states because it would make so many pharmacuetical companies obsolete...

Trip
05-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Hydrogen fuel cell does need to be refilled. A small nuclear generator (which isn't remotely close to possible yet) is about the only thing you could hope for that would never need to be refilled for the life of the vehicle.

the chi
05-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Hydrogen fuel cell does need to be refilled. A small nuclear generator (which isn't remotely close to possible yet) is about the only thing you could hope for that would never need to be refilled for the life of the vehicle.

yeah, thats the one, it would run for thousands of miles before needing any type of maintenance...

Trip
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
yeah, thats the one, it would run for thousands of miles before needing any type of maintenance...

It needs to be refilled pretty regularly. It's main problem is you still need to fuel to produce the hydrogen which will still be effected by rising fuel costs and there is no infrastructure to distribute it and that would make it very pricey to switchover from fossil.

the chi
05-27-2008, 04:09 PM
leave it to the engineer to make it uber civilian non friendly...:lol: i keep things basic...its all over my head...i just know the basic principle...and it looks decent...

No Worries
05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
You guys don't remember when the 1982 Suzuki Katana came out: http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=31. Everyone thought it was the ugliest thing ever. It was designed to look radical, and by 1982 standards, it was.

As for different engines, I remember when I was a teenager at the 1964-65 World's Fair in NY. Chrysler had a turbine car that they would run around a track: http://www.motortrend.com/classic/features/c12_0603_1964_chrysler_turbine_car/index.html. They said it could run on anything flammable, including Tequila. I liked to watch it go around for the sound it made. A whine that would put the gear whine of a VFR to shame. I think the problem was the extreme heat it put out.

And for a car that doesn't have to be refilled, you start with water, man, then you crack it with electricity to make hydrogen and oxygen. The engine runs on the hydrogen, makes electricity to crack the exhaust, which is water, and that is recycled back as the fuel.

Mr Lefty
05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
they were right about that katana... it is ugly :lol:

Dave
05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
hey tiggs a fork is still a fork. i want none whatsoever. gimmie bimota's tesi steering on a cbr1000 or maybe that v5 they keep promising us and i'll be beating down the door with cash in hand

You guys don't remember when the 1982 Suzuki Katana came out: http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/classics/bike.asp?id=31. Everyone thought it was the ugliest thing ever. It was designed to look radical, and by 1982 standards, it was.

As for different engines, I remember when I was a teenager at the 1964-65 World's Fair in NY. Chrysler had a turbine car that they would run around a track: http://www.motortrend.com/classic/features/c12_0603_1964_chrysler_turbine_car/index.html. They said it could run on anything flammable, including Tequila. I liked to watch it go around for the sound it made. A whine that would put the gear whine of a VFR to shame. I think the problem was the extreme heat it put out.

And for a car that doesn't have to be refilled, you start with water, man, then you crack it with electricity to make hydrogen and oxygen. The engine runs on the hydrogen, makes electricity to crack the exhaust, which is water, and that is recycled back as the fuel.

yeah the turbine cars were friggin awesome, run on anything but its very hard to smog a turbine. i think that was why the project was cancelled. they got so far as lending cars to familys for everyday durability trials

Phenix_Rider
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM

Looks better than the new ones though... Kinda like an early, sharper SV.

Cutty72
06-02-2008, 12:03 AM
true, you still use oil to make the hydrogen and deliver it. I still say we make a big wind farm out of north dakota.

I agree... that's all we have is fucking wind. May as well get some good out of it.

p00kienrayray
06-02-2008, 02:09 AM
yea so many vehicles in this country it was bound to happen. its starting to all cave in and now we're stuck in a rut. everyone owns at least a car, while some (especially here in cali) owns 2 or 3. the US gov cant do shit to OPEC, and there are too many gasoline and diesel vehicles on the road to suddenly switch over to alternative fuels. the weak american dollar isn't helping either, so we're fucked...i'm just wondering how high gas prices get before its unaffordable for the majority, cuz i'm sure as hell taking the bus @ $5/gal...

DLIT
06-02-2008, 02:17 AM

Looks cooler than the ones they have today.

Phenix_Rider
06-02-2008, 07:23 AM
yea so many vehicles in this country it was bound to happen. its starting to all cave in and now we're stuck in a rut. everyone owns at least a car, while some (especially here in cali) owns 2 or 3. the US gov cant do shit to OPEC, and there are too many gasoline and diesel vehicles on the road to suddenly switch over to alternative fuels. the weak american dollar isn't helping either, so we're fucked...i'm just wondering how high gas prices get before its unaffordable for the majority, cuz i'm sure as hell taking the bus @ $5/gal...
Just ride....
Looks cooler than the ones they have today.
Yes, yes it does. No Can'o'Tuna there.