PDA

View Full Version : My Memorial Weekend ride

6doublefive321
05-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, I just got back from my Memorial Weekend ride. I put over 600 miles on the SM this weekend. I rode from North Atlanta to NM Tennessee and back, with lots of riding in between.

The good: the SM was surprisingly agreeable for the 200+ mile trek to my destination. The seat leaves a little to be desired, but that is easily fixed. The bike did great on the freeway at freeway speeds, and of course tore up the twisties when I got to hit them.

The bad: I did some riding with a less experienced buddy who owns a 600 Shadow. I led on the first stint, which contained a mountain climb, with several 1st gear switchbacks. I was much faster than my buddy, and wound up having to wait on him a couple of times.

The second stint, which travelled down the same mountain on another side, my buddy led. Well, less than 5 miles into it, he took a blind right hander, panicked, locked up the back brake, and then proceeded to travel down a 30 foot ravine. I was scared shitless, but held on, and parked my bike in a ditch and went to assist. Luckily, my friend only received some sore joints and lots of scratches. His bike fared ok also. The tank flew off and the windshield broke to pieces, but we got the tank back on and the bike fired. Since my buddy had a bum shoulder, it was now my task to get the 500 pound bike back up a 30 foot slope. After about an hour and a near heart attack, the bike was back on the road. Pics below. I think my buddy was riding over his head after our first stint, so I feel guilty for riding so fast. At the end of the day, however, all was well and it was definitely an adventure.

The curve
http://65.57.254.60/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/members/Curve_small.jpg

The result
http://65.57.254.60/ktmtalk/photogallery/galleries/members/Wreck_1_small.jpg

t-homo
05-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Damn. That would be scary as shit. Glad he and his bike are alright for the most part though.

No Worries
05-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Bummer. Going down a steep, twisty road takes much more skill than going up. I've seen sportbike riders who would rather take the highway down the back part of Lookout Mountain, rather than face the front switchbacks. But obviously, neither you nor the Shadow should take the blame, as the inexperience caused the crash.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Bummer. Going down a steep, twisty road takes much more skill than going up. I've seen sportbike riders who would rather take the highway down the back part of Lookout Mountain, rather than face the front switchbacks. But obviously, neither you nor the Shadow should take the blame, as the inexperience caused the crash.

:iagree: The situation really sucks and having been in your shoes many,many times I know how you feel. I have often felt that I've led someone to their death or destruction. Always the bottom line is that they made all their own choices and are responsible for their own actions. Besides any "blame" you might have had was erased when you pushed that big motherfucker up that hill!!! Keep your head up!

6doublefive321
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
:iagree: The situation really sucks and having been in your shoes many,many times I know how you feel. I have often felt that I've led someone to their death or destruction. Always the bottom line is that they made all their own choices and are responsible for their own actions. Besides any "blame" you might have had was erased when you pushed that big motherfucker up that hill!!! Keep your head up!

Yeah, pure logic tells me he did his own thing, and was in front when it happened. But, there is a little part of my brain that always feels guilty when something like this happens. Dude is going through a divorce, so this is one more thing he didn't need.

And yeah, he owes me big time for pushing the Titanic back up that hill. I wish I had a video of that one. It would have done the hill climbers proud.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-26-2008, 07:17 PM

yeayup. everybody rides their own ride, dont let people speed you up, and in the same respect dont let em slow you down if you want to ride faster.

Drewpy contributes part of his get off at the gap last year to slowing down a bit to ride with less experience riders.

OneSickPsycho
05-26-2008, 08:46 PM
yeayup. everybody rides their own ride, dont let people speed you up, and in the same respect dont let em slow you down if you want to ride faster.

Drewpy contributes part of his get off at the gap last year to slowing down a bit to ride with less experience riders.

DP likes to BS a lot. :lol:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-26-2008, 09:02 PM
DP likes to BS a lot. :lol:

lol that was part of the point i was trying to make. We never heard the end of it down there.

Trip
05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
I took him in a coast race, I wonder what BS he is going to spout for having a considerable amount of weight on me with his bike weighing 100lbs on mine. Although he remembered the bridge was the finish line though. :zowned:

NONE_too_SOFT
05-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I took him in a coast race, I wonder what BS he is going to spout for having a considerable amount of weight on me with his bike weighing 100lbs on mine. Although he remembered the bridge was the finish line though. :zowned:

what ev. i still owned in that race. lost by a technicality. you guys couldnt hold a flame towards me as i took off 20 bike lengths at the end.

OneSickPsycho
05-26-2008, 10:04 PM

I think the weight actually held us back... I didn't start off coasting and I had more weight than both of you, but I was dropping back... I dunno... :idk:

what ev. i still owned in that race. lost by a technicality. you guys couldnt hold a flame towards me as i took off 20 bike lengths at the end.

He was talking about us yesterday...

NONE_too_SOFT
05-26-2008, 10:16 PM

i'm fairly sure that was directed at me.

Amber Lamps
05-26-2008, 10:20 PM
I think the weight actually held us back... I didn't start off coasting and I had more weight than both of you, but I was dropping back... I dunno... :idk:

He was talking about us yesterday...

Now that's interesting...I wonder if the belt system on your bike has particular drag tendencies or maybe the ZTL brake set-up drags? Hmmm....