PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Tires...For A Cruiser

Audiomechanic
05-27-2008, 11:04 AM
I know, I know. This is largely a SB site but there are those amoung you that ride or have riden cruisers and those amoung you that don't, but know a heck of a lot more about tires than me.

Anyway, when I had the Gix, it was Pilot Powers all the way. Now that I have the Magna, I can't rock powers, nor would I want to as they wear too quickly. What I'm looking for is a good dual compound radial tire for front and rear that will allow for many miles upright, but also allow me to hammer the throttle in a corner and come screaming out of it with sparks flying from the peg sliders.

The tire sizes for this bike are:
Front: 120/80-17
Rear: 150/80-17

I would mind also going with a taller tire in the rear for faster turn in if possible. The tires on the bike now aren't that bad, but they're both bias-ply and mismatched (Maxxis in rear, Metzler in front).

Any ideers?

Phenix_Rider
05-27-2008, 12:31 PM
What year magna? How do you like that thing?

Audiomechanic
05-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Tiz a 2000 and I LOVE it! Handles like a dream, I can whoop "Hardley" VRods and 1700-1800cc jap v-twin "power cruisers" on my "little" 750. Bout the only cruiser out there that'll pull on me in stock form is a Triumph Rocket III and a V-Max. Those two are faster in a straight line but both handle like a school bus full of fat kids. The Magna handles like no other cruiser I've ever ridden.

It's very light and VERY nimble for a cruiser and pretty much let's you do anything you want to it. It's very forgiving. Bout the only complaint I have is it could use better brakes (drum in the rear and single disc up front) and the aftermarket is very small.

Other than that, I am in love with this thing and have put 1200 miles on it in the past month.

Phenix_Rider
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Tiz a 2000 and I LOVE it! Handles like a dream, I can whoop "Hardley" VRods and 1700-1800cc jap v-twin "power cruisers" on my "little" 750. Bout the only cruiser out there that'll pull on me in stock form is a Triumph Rocket III and a V-Max. Those two are faster in a straight line but both handle like a school bus full of fat kids. The Magna handles like no other cruiser I've ever ridden.

It's very light and VERY nimble for a cruiser and pretty much let's you do anything you want to it. It's very forgiving. Bout the only complaint I have is it could use better brakes (drum in the rear and single disc up front) and the aftermarket is very small.

Other than that, I am in love with this thing and have put 1200 miles on it in the past month.

:lol: Forget dad commuting, that thing sounds like a blast!

Audiomechanic
05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
:lol: Forget dad commuting, that thing sounds like a blast!

Dad commuting? Oh heck no. I open this thing up every chance I get! I think the main reason it's so fun for me is that I'm not scared of it. The 1000 I owned previously scared the jeebus out of me and proved to be a force to be reckoned with...at least for me and my noviceness.

If you know anyone that owns one or can find one to ride, take one out and see how you like it. From what I know, the V65's were the really fast one's (1100cc V4) but the 3rd generation Mag's (94 - 03) are the best handling and are still darn fast.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-27-2008, 06:56 PM

my dad has a magna, think its an 01 maybe an 00, and i gotta say it is a nice ride. hes got some aftermarket stuff that keeps it from leaning very far, but it is very capable. lemme check and see what rubber hes got on there.

Phenix_Rider
05-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Dad commuting? Oh heck no. I open this thing up every chance I get! I think the main reason it's so fun for me is that I'm not scared of it. The 1000 I owned previously scared the jeebus out of me and proved to be a force to be reckoned with...at least for me and my noviceness.

If you know anyone that owns one or can find one to ride, take one out and see how you like it. From what I know, the V65's were the really fast one's (1100cc V4) but the 3rd generation Mag's (94 - 03) are the best handling and are still darn fast.

:lol: What kind of mileage does it get, riding like that?

Audiomechanic
05-27-2008, 08:28 PM
my dad has a magna, think its an 01 maybe an 00, and i gotta say it is a nice ride. hes got some aftermarket stuff that keeps it from leaning very far, but it is very capable. lemme check and see what rubber hes got on there.

Thank you kind sir. Mine's got the engine guard but it doesn't get in the way. I lean mine almost to the frame.

:lol: What kind of mileage does it get, riding like that?

Bout 40-45mpg. Seriously. I'd be in the 50's if I took it easy. :rockout:

No Worries
05-27-2008, 11:44 PM
The Magna uses the VFR 750 engine, so it's gotta be good. Cruiser riders that I talk to get 10K or more miles on those Dunlop D402 or Metzeler 880 Marathon tires. They wear like iron, but probably handle like it too. IF I had the Magna, I would try the Avon Storm sport/touring tires.

Phenix_Rider
05-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Bout 40-45mpg. Seriously. I'd be in the 50's if I took it easy. :rockout:

Nice. That's awfully close to what I get- and that thing's a V4 750! :panic:
Wonder if you could get something like the Road 2s in that size? :lol: Don't know if you'd ever hit the side compound though.

Need Marko to get me some info on his uncle's...

Audiomechanic
05-28-2008, 08:38 AM
The Magna uses the VFR 750 engine, so it's gotta be good. Cruiser riders that I talk to get 10K or more miles on those Dunlop D402 or Metzeler 880 Marathon tires. They wear like iron, but probably handle like it too. IF I had the Magna, I would try the Avon Storm sport/touring tires.

I've heard good things about the Avon Storms! I'll give them a look-see. Thanks!

Wonder if you could get something like the Road 2s in that size? :lol: Don't know if you'd ever hit the side compound though.

Well, I just learned that another Magna owner on another board rolls a 170 in the back with no probs. So I might go up to a 160 since I know there are a lot more options to choose from in the 160 and up sizes. 150's kinda limited from what I can see.

EDIT: I feel like a dummy The rear tire is actually a 150/90-15

That's what I get for looking online for the tire size instead of looking at the dang tire.

marko138
05-28-2008, 08:46 AM

I should know some things today. Stand by. I'll PM.

pickle.of.doom
05-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Seems like I always hear most of the cruiser guys talking up the Metzelers...

Audiomechanic
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
A lot of cruiser cats do talk up Metzlers.....they also don't know how to turn. ;)

Hey NoWorries: what do you think of the Avon Venoms? Another guy I talked with has run those and really likes them. I looked at the Storms and would love to run 'em but they won't fit.

Audiomechanic
05-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Well, based on a couple more reviews, and the fact that my choices are limited because of size, I'm going to settle on the Avon Venoms in the stock sizes. The Venoms are a bit taller profile than what I have anyway so turn in will be better. If I need more meat, I'll up to a 170 in the rear next go around.

No Worries
05-30-2008, 11:37 PM
A lot of cruiser cats do talk up Metzlers.....they also don't know how to turn. ;)

Hey NoWorries: what do you think of the Avon Venoms? Another guy I talked with has run those and really likes them. I looked at the Storms and would love to run 'em but they won't fit.

Never tried the Venoms. I've used the Avon Azaro's Sport Touring tires. I love them. But I hear the new Avon Storm's are much better. Avon makes the Venom in your size and would be a good bet: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showspecs&id=1.

Audiomechanic
05-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Cool. Now I gotta ride the hell out of it and wear out the tires it's got faster so I can buy the Venoms! :lol:

Phenix_Rider
05-31-2008, 02:52 PM
Never tried the Venoms. I've used the Avon Azaro's Sport Touring tires. I love them. But I hear the new Avon Storm's are much better. Avon makes the Venom in your size and would be a good bet: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/?page=tyres&method=showspecs&id=1.

I saw a set of the Azaros for the first time today. Wild looking tread pattern- much cooler than my Roads. Look like they'd be great in the rain.