PDA

View Full Version : Somebody link me knowledge...

DLIT
05-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Somebody hook me up with an eay to read/understand link on riding tips/advice for beginners. I kind of want an in-depth one where she can take some time and read and understand. Her biggest problem right now is getting up to speed. It takes her forever to get up to 35mph and it's dangerous, especially when you got an impatient H2 tailgaiting your ass. I had to do the "back the fuck off" had motion to the bag of douche.

the chi
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
http://motorcycleviews.com/beginners/beginners.htm

here's one...looking for more...

where are you riding exactly? As new as she is and with that kind of issue, small neighborhood/large parking lot might be best...

Trip
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM
too bad the femoto isn't til the end of the year, maybe a beginner track day is in order? Try to find one very newb friendly.

Mr Lefty
05-29-2008, 05:41 PM
try pm'n one of the instructors we have here... they may have a MSF book... I'd send you mine but it's in AK...

I'll see if I can find something for ya though

the chi
05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
i cant find anything that she wouldnt learn just by taking an MSF or from experience...but

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-512E-13852E1D-39452CEF-prod1

ceo012384
05-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Thought about just getting her a book?

The MSF book is a good start.

Nick Ienatsch's book would be a good option.

Lee Parks' total control works as well.

DLIT
05-29-2008, 06:06 PM
http://motorcycleviews.com/beginners/beginners.htm

here's one...looking for more...

where are you riding exactly? As new as she is and with that kind of issue, small neighborhood/large parking lot might be best...

Garbage. Those are tips submitted by everyday people. I'm looking for something online that I can view that's froman established rider, you know?

Trip
05-29-2008, 06:09 PM
twist of a wrist 2? 1 reads too much like a stereo manual.

ceo012384
05-29-2008, 06:12 PM
twist of a wrist 2? 1 reads too much like a stereo manual.

TOTW2 would be alright... more geared towards track riding and advanced techniques though. That's why I was thinking Ienatsch's or Parks' book. Both good overall reads. There's another called "proficient motorcycling" that is also supposed to be good but I forget who the author is.

DLIT
05-29-2008, 06:16 PM
i cant find anything that she wouldnt learn just by taking an MSF or from experience...but

Experience is what she doesn't have and defensive riding they don't teach much about in MSF. Like where to position yourself so the other guys can see you.

I'm trying to give her a link so we can sit down and read it and I can answer/explain questions for her.

Mr Lefty
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
just did a quick google search for defensive riding.. but here...

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/road_awareness/defensive_riding.html

actually all these offer something

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=defensive+riding

dReWpY
05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
nick ianshtchsiasdfasdfa... sportbike techniques is a great book, i just dont know of any links to it online

DLIT
05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
just did a quick google search for defensive riding.. but here...

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/road_awareness/defensive_riding.html

That's a good one, thanks.

Ebbs' first link should be a fucking sticky. It's really good. Hit the spot.

Crazy
05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
when i first got my 250, my dad was tailing me once and even HE said that I was accelerating kinda slow (compared to his camry :lol:). needless to say thats not a problem anymore with the SV, but the 250 is still plenty fast... the main thing is to keep it in the powerband, she's probably too scared to do that. I usually used to shift at 8 or 9K, see if you can get her to shift later. that will definitely help. but if she is just too scared to get on the throttle a bit... well theres nothing u can really read to help that.

DLIT
05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
when i first got my 250, my dad was tailing me once and even HE said that I was accelerating kinda slow (compared to his camry :lol:). needless to say thats not a problem anymore with the SV, but the 250 is still plenty fast... the main thing is to keep it in the powerband, she's probably too scared to do that. I usually used to shift at 8 or 9K, see if you can get her to shift later. that will definitely help. but if she is just too scared to get on the throttle a bit... well theres nothing u can really read to help that.

I told her to shift between 4 and 6k for now. That'll still give her enough pep to get up to speed fast enough though. And her cruising speed should be around 5k. She just needs to practice shifting because that's where she scrubs off speed. It takes her a bit to perform the actual shift. I told her to anticipate a shift by getting her foot in position, then clutch, shift and release. The pegs are whack, too. Big as rubber pad on top. WTF? I'm gonna look into aftermarket, all metal pegs.

OneSickPsycho
05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
I know PhiSig and NeonspeedRT are MSF coaches... you might try PM'ing one of them...

PizDets probably has a copy of all of the books mentioned in PDF format...

Or you could always ask OTB to start a thread about it.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Garbage. Those are tips submitted by everyday people. I'm looking for something online that I can view that's froman established rider, you know?

tought to find solid info online, as most of it is speculative. you know how we all like to think we know everything.

Try a Motorcycles for dummies book. No shit. Was looking at one the other day at barnes and noble and it had pretty much everything a BRAND SPANKIN newb needs to know not to get his/her head plowed off by that hummer.

If thats not your style, still browse the bookshelfs some. That shit is published for a reason, its no bullshit.

Phenix_Rider
05-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Try a Motorcycles for dummies book. No shit. Was looking at one the other day at barnes and noble and it had pretty much everything a BRAND SPANKIN newb needs to know not to get his/her head plowed off by that hummer.

:lol: I never thought of that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Nick Ieanetsch's... Sportbike Techniques is good. I'm going to look for a hardcopy of it, since it's incredibly difficult to read on screen. Really informative on general techniques, and shifting weight and riding dynamics and traction/tire characteristics.

I picked up Lee Park's Total Control and didn't care for it (something like $12 for a $40 book). Too much zen and mind with no mind empty head crap. I don't like his analogies either...like a 5 year old is reading it. The exercises look interesting, but I haven't had time to practice them yet. They're probably way too advanced for what you're looking for.

No Worries
05-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Total Control by Lee Parks is my favorite. I read it often. Especially after meeting the author and taking his Total Control class. Most of his stuff is for the advanced rider, but it's never too early to learn the correct movements. Plus, Lee has a chapter on fear, and how to confront it. Once you remove fear, learning anything is easy.

Crazy
05-30-2008, 12:36 AM
4 and 6? idk man I'd tack on at least 2K to the recommended break in numbers. i shifted at or before 6 for the first 500 miles then at or before 8 till 1000 miles.i know you want her to take it slow but the ninja 250 engine is meant to be revved hard. definitely the shifting will slow her down so that is important to work on first but....in 6th gear at 4K RPM that bike is only doing like 45 MPH. so the fact that she has to make 5 shifts whereas you only have to do one will definitely slow her down.

DLIT
05-30-2008, 12:39 AM
4 and 6? idk man I'd tack on at least 2K to the recommended break in numbers. i shifted at or before 6 for the first 500 miles then at or before 8 till 1000 miles.i know you want her to take it slow but the ninja 250 engine is meant to be revved hard. definitely the shifting will slow her down so that is important to work on first but....in 6th gear at 4K RPM that bike is only doing like 45 MPH. so the fact that she has to make 5 shifts whereas you only have to do one will definitely slow her down.

Bro, she's brand fucking new to riding. Even though it's a 250 the throttle response might freak her out.

Dnyce
05-30-2008, 01:21 AM
what about taking her out on your bike, and tell her to pay attn where you are depending on where cars are around you? easier if shes on the back than having her try to ride and pay attn to you. also easier to communicate.

depends on how she learns easiest. some ppl see it and it clicks, other ppl have to read it, etc.

i learned to shift on a long vacant road. i could drive a stickshift already, so it was easier for me to transition the movements, but on that long street it was ez to concentrate on just shifting, no cars, no traffic, no turning.

i used to practice the motions with the bike off too. shifting is like a simultaneous motion using ur leg and both arms, not a 1-2-3 motion. that mite help her speed up the actual shifting process.

just throwing a few ideas your way, maybe some of em work 4ya.

PiZdETS
05-30-2008, 02:00 AM
PizDets probably has a copy of all of the books mentioned in PDF format...

Seriously, I thought everyone knew who to call for this shit. I made a thread with twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and sport riding techniques for free. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=675)

Phenix_Rider
05-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Seriously, I thought everyone knew who to call for this shit. I made a thread with twist of the wrist 1 and 2 and sport riding techniques for free. (http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=675)

password?:idk:

:edit: NVM. It's in dark alley. Thanks! dl'ing now. Damnit. Not at work...

Crazy
05-30-2008, 08:21 PM
bro... i was brand fucking new to riding too, if you dont count the MSF course. just trying to help.

DLIT
05-31-2008, 10:38 AM
bro... i was brand fucking new to riding too, if you dont count the MSF course. just trying to help.

I appreciate it. It's good to know that it can handle the higher revs and they'll come in handy once she learns the basics of how to shift faster. Does it vibrate like a SOB near redline? We're still breaking it in.

Cutty72
06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I appreciate it. It's good to know that it can handle the higher revs and they'll come in handy once she learns the basics of how to shift faster. Does it vibrate like a SOB near redline? We're still breaking it in.

The older ones weren't bad... not sure about the 08's.
IMO the 250 had far less vibes than my SV.

the chi
06-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I just got back around here...dont complain when people are trying to help goober, no matter what they provide...

as for the MSF not helping on the defensive riding part, ya'll must have some cruddy instructors, cuz that was a major part of our MSF down here...and making sure we were highly visible at all times...

On a different note, Nick I.'s book is pretty awesome...its got lots of fact and information as well as being written in a very easy to read and personable manner...like the guy was actually talking to you. Good Luck, let us know how she's progressing!

anthonyk
11-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Old thread, I know, but for anyone else looking for a good book with newbie rider tips, pick up one of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling books. Lots of great stuff in there about staying alive on the streets.

jeeps84
11-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Books are cool but experience is what she needs. If she is just to frightened, Maybe she really doesnt want or even need to be on the street.

marko138
11-08-2008, 02:52 PM
DLIT, here's some knowledge links:

www.gofuckyourself.com

Carolina
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM

www.gofuckyourself.com

ohh shittt I laughed my ass off good one

:zowned:

ceo012384
11-08-2008, 07:21 PM

www.gofuckyourself.com

Here's another good link for you Derek. Seriously:

Beginner's Riding Tips (http://www.eatabagofdicks.com)

DLIT
11-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Here's another good link for you Derek. Seriously:

Beginner's Riding Tips (http://www.eatabagofdicks.com)

It's good to see people retaining new phrases these days. Keep spreading it. I called some stuck up broad a chunt the other day. I was hammered drunk and I thought it was clever because my buddy's last name is hunt. I just threw the c before it. Chunt.

www.gofuckyourself.com

I hate your face.

Carolina
11-09-2008, 08:26 AM
ohhh shit that was nice good link ceo

marko138
11-09-2008, 01:53 PM
It's good to see people retaining new phrases these days. Keep spreading it. I called some stuck up broad a chunt the other day. I was hammered drunk and I thought it was clever because my buddy's last name is hunt. I just threw the c before it. Chunt.

I hate your face.
As you should.

OreoGaborio
11-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Well I'M on my phose so I didn't read every post.... But I didn't see the part where she took the msf course... Get her in there already, sounds like she could benefit from it... Comes w a free manual plus seat time and it's a lot smarter than riding around on the street where, from what you've said, she evidently doesn't belong just yet.

My girlfriend went through the same last yea and even w MSF under her belt she still needed much more parking lot time before she felt REMOTELY comfortable on the street..... So get her in the MSF course... Reading does not equate to seat time and 1 on 1 instruction with a trained instructor.

Particle Man
11-10-2008, 12:17 PM
would you be against books?

I'd recommend "A Twist of the Wrist" (all versions) by Keith Code...

Ducati Diva
11-10-2008, 01:21 PM
would you be against books?

I'd recommend "A Twist of the Wrist" (all versions) by Keith Code...

I am a self professed book geek but I have to agree with taking the class and then doing some parking lot time before hitting the street. I read so many books (all with great info) before starting to ride. When I got in the class I was like ohh that's what they were talking about. The books help but there's no substitute for practice, and lots of it, in a save environment.

OreoGaborio
11-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Books like TOTW etc that are being suggested are already beyond where she's at right now... that's like handing a second grader a calculus book.... they might be able to read it & absorb some of the material, but they won't be able to put it to much use.

However... If I'm gonna suggest a book, I'll throw a title out there that hasn't even hit the book shelves yet...

Riding In the Zone by Ken Condon. It's a Book and DVD combo that'll be going for about 20 bucks on Amazon. You can pre-order now.

http://ridinginthezone.com/index.html

Author: Ken Condon

Riding motorcycles is fun but Ken Condon maintains there is a state of being beyond the simple pleasure of rolling down the road; this book was written to help riders find that state of being. It’s the experience of being physically and mentally present in the moment, where every sense is sharply attuned to the ride. Your mind becomes silent to the chatter of daily life and everyday problems seem to dissolve; you feel a deeper appreciation for life. Your body responds to this state of being with precise, fluid movements; you feel in balance, your muscles are relaxed, and it seems as though every input you make is an expression of mastery.

With more than three decades of motorcycling under his belt, Ken Condon has had many opportunities to experience the Zone—while road racing, dirt biking, and even commuting in heavy traffic. He recognizes that the ability to ride in the Zone goes hand in hand with mastering basic motorcycling skills and achieving mental and emotional control.

Condon’s experience as a teacher shows in the careful organization of the book. He has identified all the factors that affect entering the Zone and addresses each one individually, from the development of awareness and mental skills to mastering physical control of the motorcycle. At the end of each chapter are drills designed to transform the book’s ideas and concepts into solid riding skills. A companion DVD is included with the book to demonstrate each concept and technique and help the reader apply each lesson to street riding.

DLIT
11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I have both TOTWs, but it doesn't matter. Her bike has been sold.

Rsv1000R
11-13-2008, 04:40 PM
I think she needs to find a nice quite spot to get bike time, She doesn't need to learn to ride faster, she needs to be able to ride without thinking about it. Once she starts feeling comfortable on the bike and can operate it without thinking about how to shift, etc she can work on going faster (if it's even a problem at that point).

Oh, never mind.

RACER X
11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
has she taken the MSF class?

lotsa shifting practice in class.

DLIT
11-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I hope you guys aren't talking about my wife still.

She does not have a bike anymore.

OreoGaborio
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
oh what, so just cuzshe doesn't have a bike that means we can't talk about your wife??? :D

Rsv1000R
11-14-2008, 11:35 AM
oh what, so just cuzshe doesn't have a bike that means we can't talk about your wife??? :D

This thread suck without pictures :rockout:

ceo012384
11-15-2008, 09:32 PM
This thread suck without pictures :rockout:
I have pictures of his wife.

I mean, they are NWS.

I mean, sorry Derek.

VFR Rider
11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough is a great book for new riders.

DLIT
11-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I have pictures of his wife.

I mean, they are NWS.

I mean, sorry Derek.

This just in. CEO is five foot nothing, but he feels huge on internets forums.

PiZdETS
11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm the same way.

OreoGaborio
11-16-2008, 06:07 PM

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said about Chris :P

marko138
11-17-2008, 11:42 AM

:rofl:

ceo012384
11-17-2008, 01:12 PM
:lol: nice one, you wooly-caterpillar-eyebrowed son of a bitch.

Particle Man
11-19-2008, 10:03 PM

:lmao: