PDA

View Full Version : Corsa III's, First impressions.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Wasnt blown away at first, to be honest. They dont "fall" into turns like the PPs, but are much more consistant i noticed. They are very consistant throughout the turn. IE it is not harder to get farther over. they just seem to get down with ease at far angles.

I was just testing some superslab onramps at a nimble speed, and while at a cloverleaf while leaning pretty far, i decided to see how much farther i could get them over and it caught me off guard how smooth and effortless the transition was, even for how far i was off the bike. So over all i wouldnt say the fall in is any better or worse than Pilot powers, its just different. Its almost like PP's WANT to get that extreme lean angle asap, and the corsa is more about controlling the lean angle. This was extremely apparent in switchbacks. getting the bike down, then up, then down again was effortless. I was very happy with the precision of the tire.

Stickyness? well the tires are just being broken in, so i cant really say too much about em in that respect. They FEEL good in corners, like you're riding on glue. I have to say that i felt much better taking hard turns in these than the 208's. had no slippage issues. When in the corner you really feel like you're connected to the ground, you don't have that "floaty" unattached feel (like i got from the 208s)

Not much more to say about em now, they're new tires, anything new is gonna be better than the take offs. As for if i'll buy em again i wont be able to say till i take em somewhere challenging.

Trip
05-29-2008, 09:14 PM
You really need to hit the heat cycle to get the sticky feel. Plus PPs really nice fall in is only good for the first 500 miles or so before the tire flattens, I always hate when that fall in goes away on the PPs.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-29-2008, 09:24 PM
You really need to hit the heat cycle to get the sticky feel. Plus PPs really nice fall in is only good for the first 500 miles or so before the tire flattens, I always hate when that fall in goes away on the PPs.

so true.

I didnt really get into anything until i did some real hard stops and accelerations. Really just doing everything i could for about the first 30 miles to get them heated up.

Im really impressed with them around the twisties. They really grip the road well, its the softest compound i've ridden on thus far though.

im kinda pissed that by the time i get down to tenn next week they'll be a little boxed out. I plan on taking the superslab at least half the way. especially if theres bad weather. thats pretty much gonna be my break in period for them.

marko138
05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
so true.

I didnt really get into anything until i did some real hard stops and accelerations. Really just doing everything i could for about the first 30 miles to get them heated up.

Im really impressed with them around the twisties. They really grip the road well, its the softest compound i've ridden on thus far though.

im kinda pissed that by the time i get down to tenn next week they'll be a little boxed out. I plan on taking the superslab at least half the way. especially if theres bad weather. thats pretty much gonna be my break in period for them.
They are gonna be toast after the slab. Mine are showing wear after only 400 miles.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-29-2008, 09:34 PM
They are gonna be toast after the slab. Mine are showing wear after only 400 miles.

Yea. but i cant send em back now.

Im gonna take the roads i know down to about C-bus, then get on the slab and head for cinci, and then take some SR's to maybe lexington the first day...

Shit i leave in 5 days and i haven't planned a route yet.

Cutty72
05-30-2008, 12:43 AM
My odometer clicked over to 2000 miles. I figure I have about 500 left on the rear :rant: stupid high torque V-twins :rant: Suppose I'll have to pony up for another rear until the front is gone.
Even with it getting squared off from all my commuting, it still has a really easy transition from left to right, with a good overall feel.

In all, I love the corsa III's grip and feel, I HATE their wear (or lack thereof)

PiZdETS
05-30-2008, 02:12 AM
They sound awesome, can't wait to try mine out.
I've had them with the bike at this ducati shop for almost 3 weeks waiting for some fucking tool to properly change the tires on marchesini rims. :td: So lame.

Hit me up when you're heading near cincy, I'll take you down into kentucky on I-75 south for some badass switchbacks near me.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-30-2008, 06:18 AM
They sound awesome, can't wait to try mine out.
I've had them with the bike at this ducati shop for almost 3 weeks waiting for some fucking tool to properly change the tires on marchesini rims. :td: So lame.

Hit me up when you're heading near cincy, I'll take you down into kentucky on I-75 south for some badass switchbacks near me.

sounds good. how bout giving me a couch to sleep on tuesday night?

PiZdETS
05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
sounds good. how bout giving me a couch to sleep on tuesday night?
Wish I could, I'm staying at the rents house right now. :panic:
I'll ask a couple friends.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Wish I could, I'm staying at the rents house right now. :panic:
I'll ask a couple friends.

sweet. i may find a park bench or rest stop picnic table to sleep on.

dReWpY
05-30-2008, 11:55 AM
if it aint roke dont fix it, PP ftw

Rider
05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
if it aint roke dont fix it, PP ftw

You know that's what I thought at first but now mine are slipping all over the place.. I dont feel safe on them now.

Trip
05-30-2008, 12:37 PM
You know that what I thought at first but now mine are slipping all over the place.. I dont feel safe on them now.

Yeah, it's worth it to try new rubber. May find something you like better.

dReWpY
05-30-2008, 12:41 PM
i really liked the stick with my m3's they just wore out in the middle, its funny how a cross country trip can do that, i got 6k out of the middle, not much turning, but when i did get to turn at the dragon they had good feel and plenty of stick

Rider
05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, it's worth it to try new rubber. May find something you like better.

Yeah I spun my tire yesterday coming out of a corner, I got home and there was black rubber all over my license plate. I think they've been heat cycled too many times and now they just have no grip at all.

NONE_too_SOFT
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I hear ya drewpy, I'm sure thats not my last pair of Pilot powers i ever buy, but variety is the spice of life.

Rider
06-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Anyone know anything about the Bridgestone Battleax BT016's?

Trip
06-02-2008, 08:03 AM

I have heard some positive things about them.

Cutty72
06-02-2008, 02:19 PM

Not bad as a stock OEM tire... Not the greatest, not the worst.

marko138
06-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Are those the new dual compound jones?

Trip
06-02-2008, 04:26 PM
got a text message from ceo, he likes the corsa IIIs

Rider
06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Are those the new dual compound jones?

The fronts are, the rear is triple compound.

marko138
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
The fronts are, the rear is triple compound.
Right, I'm interested to know how they perform.

Rider
06-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Right, I'm interested to know how they perform.

I'll let you know. I only have 28 miles on them so far.

marko138
06-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice. How's the turn in on the first 28?

Rider
06-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Nice. How's the turn in on the first 28?

Better than I could have ever imagined. The bike goes exactly where i want it. I think that has more to do with the suspension though. It's a million times better that the Kaw. The bike practically steers itself it so effortless.

Cutty72
06-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Better than I could have ever imagined. The bike goes exactly where i want it. I think that has more to do with the suspension though. It's a million times better that the Kaw. The bike practically steers itself it so effortless.

Did the Z have a fully adjustable suspension?

Rider
06-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Did the Z have a fully adjustable suspension?

No the forks have zero adjustability and the shock only has dampening and preload adjustments.

marko138
06-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Dial in some preload on the Gix. Then tweak the compression and rebound.

Cutty72
06-03-2008, 06:24 PM
No the forks have zero adjustability and the shock only has dampening and preload adjustments.

Even though I haven't fucked with the 1125's suspension (it is fully adjustable) I can tell the world of differance between that and the SV

marko138
06-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Even though I haven't fucked with the 1125's suspension (it is fully adjustable) I can tell the world of differance between that and the SV
Read the owner's manual...Buell lays it out real easily for adjustment....atleast the XB owners manual.

Cutty72
06-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Read the owner's manual...Buell lays it out real easily for adjustment....atleast the XB owners manual.

Easy to adjust... but it's already set for a 180 lb rider... which I am.

ceo012384
06-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Wasnt blown away at first, to be honest.
I rode my corsa III's on the track.

They're fucking amazing.

Cutty72
07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Just looked at my tires again. 1000 miles of street wear after the track day, and you can now see the line between the two different compounds.
Softer compound still has some chunks missing from the stresses of the track day, and is worn lower than the center harder compound.

NONE_too_SOFT
07-08-2008, 07:09 PM
all in all, i'm not THRILLED with my corsas. they were great at the gap, but i think i gotta go back to the pilot powers to get a good understanding of how they really perform.

Cutty72
07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Powers are the next tire on the 1125, for comparison reasons. I'll see how they wear, and go from there.
PP's should get me into next riding season at least.

FT BSTRD
07-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Given large bastard with heavy high torque bike, I end up having to roll with a touring compound tire to get a harder center. Single compound sucks.

I skulled a Pirelli Strada in 1800 miles in north GA.

So far, I've tried:

Donlop D616--OEM (sucked)--2800 miles
Avon Azaro (single compound touring)--sticky, but not as good as the dual and triple compound tires out--4,200 miles
Pirelli Strada (single compound touring)--not sticky, mileage sucked--1,800 miles
Avon Storm (dual compound touring)--sticky--3,800 miles
Pilot Road 2CT (dual compound touring)--very sticky--3,000 miles so far

I've also run a set of the Metzler Race Tec for track days.

The Pirelli and Metzler share the same carcass and have a similar profile. It is very triangular and falls in hard. Some really like that profile. I don't. On a bike with a longer wheel base, it would be great. On a Buell, it's like riding a knife edge.

I prefer a more rounded profile so that I have to work a little bit to bet it over. The PR2CT and the Avon Strada have virtually identical rounded profiles. The edge rubber is sticky on both, but is stickier on the PR2CT. If I can get another 1,000 miles out of the PR2CT, it will become my tire of choice.

I've got a couple of buddies running the PP front and PR2CT rear. They like the combo for the center wear and feel the edge stickyness isn't really that much different than the PP rear.

I'd love to get 6,000 miles out of a tire. I'd run performance rubber, but I can't see spending more money for a performance tire and get 1,500 miles.

Rider
07-09-2008, 08:58 AM
There is no such thing as a PR2CT, but there is a PR2 and a PP2CT.

Just call them Pilot Road 2's :dthumb:

OneSickPsycho
07-09-2008, 09:04 AM
There is no such thing as a PR2CT, but there is a PR2 and a PP2CT.

Just call them Pilot Road 2's :dthumb:

I've seen them advertised as Road 2CT's before.

Rider
07-09-2008, 09:14 AM
I've seen them advertised as Road 2CT's before.

Morons. It's a marketing thing, playing off the popularity and brand recognition
of the PP 2CT's.

The manufacturer cant be wrong. http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=tirecatalog.view

Cutty72
07-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey FT BSTRD, do you regularly eat up the rear faster than the front, or are they wearing close to equal?

FT BSTRD
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
I stand corrected.

FT BSTRD
07-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey FT BSTRD, do you regularly eat up the rear faster than the front, or are they wearing close to equal?

I could do the two to one thing, but I like the feel of new rubber. The rears really do determine my tire change interval. It doesn't cost that much more to do the front tire at the same time.

Obviously the center tread wears quickly with slab runs, but with the torque, the edges get pretty feathered as well.

I just haven't found a tire that lasts more the 3500-4500 miles.

Cutty72
07-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I could do the two to one thing, but I like the feel of new rubber. The rears really do determine my tire change interval. It doesn't cost that much more to do the front tire at the same time.

Obviously the center tread wears quickly with slab runs, but with the torque, the edges get pretty feathered as well.

I just haven't found a tire that lasts more the 3500-4500 miles.

Dunlop D220's. Have them on commonboy's SV, front has over 11K on it, rear is over 6K. Granted, the traction from them sucks ass... but they wear forever.

(I will never ever have D220's again, FYI)

ceo012384
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
For my next set of tires I might be trying the supercorsas ;)... aka the DOT race tires.

I'm going to go with pirellis since my buddy is one of the vendors at the track and I get get a good price and a quick mount/change.

I would like to try to the 2cts at some point to compare to the corsaIIIs though.

FT BSTRD
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Dunlop D220's. Have them on commonboy's SV, front has over 11K on it, rear is over 6K. Granted, the traction from them sucks ass... but they wear forever.

(I will never ever have D220's again, FYI)

A buddy of mine had the D220s and couldn't kill them. He got them with the sale deal Cyclegear had. They suck but you can't wear them out. I guess if you never pushed your bike and didn't need the traction, they would be great to have.

I wonder how much harder the center compound is on the PR2 vs. the PP2CT.

Rider
07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
You may want to check out the Bridgestone Battlax BT016's. Dual compound front, triple compound on the rear. Good tire, they just need more time to warm up than PP's.

Cutty72
07-09-2008, 03:02 PM
A buddy of mine had the D220s and couldn't kill them. He got them with the sale deal Cyclegear had. They suck but you can't wear them out. I guess if you never pushed your bike and didn't need the traction, they would be great to have.

I wonder how much harder the center compound is on the PR2 vs. the PP2CT.

They say that the PR2 is a road center and a power side. :idk:

If that's true, the center of a PP2CT would be the same as the edges of a PR2.

Trip
07-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I would like to try to the 2cts at some point to compare to the corsaIIIs though.

After August 2nd I will let you know.

FT BSTRD
07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm sure most of you guys aren't running touring tires, but has anyone tried the Dunlop Road Smart tires?

ceo012384
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
After August 2nd I will let you know.
That will be good to know. I think I want to go to DOTs soon anyways, especially if I can pick up a second set of wheels. In that case I'd like to hear comparisons between the supercorsas and the power races..

dReWpY
07-09-2008, 07:17 PM
im running a set of supercorsas now.... worth writing home about, unreal stick, effortless drop in... im in love

they are super sticky, thats to be expected from a DOT race, but they feel amazing i could almost justify selling a kidney for a set of these for my next trackday, these will prolly be toast by august 2nd :sbg:

ceo012384
07-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah I think when these corsa III's are toast I'll be going to the new supercorsas... not the dragons but the diablos. I've heard good things.

dReWpY
07-12-2008, 02:02 AM
i got my paws on the dragons, on the dragon.... mmmm check out mondays pics from killboy the entire 17th page...

marko138
07-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I have zero complaints about the III's. I might not even go back to Pilot Power. They are wearing very evenly. I've done about 200 (maybe) miles of twisties and over 500 commuting miles on them and they look great.

They stick like glue when they are pushed too.

Cutty72
07-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I have zero complaints about the III's. I might not even go back to Pilot Power. They are wearing very evenly. I've done about 200 (maybe) miles of twisties and over 500 commuting miles on them and they look great.

They stick like glue when they are pushed too.

You only have 700 miles on that bike? You need to get out and ride!

I love all the aspects of mine as well, they do wear evenly... just entirely too quickly.

marko138
07-12-2008, 02:26 PM
You only have 700 miles on that bike? You need to get out and ride!

I love all the aspects of mine as well, they do wear evenly... just entirely too quickly.
Tell me about it. I put on several hundy when I first got it. Then we had a stretch of shitty weather...blah blah...work....busy...you get the idea. I ride whenever I can...but it's usually only to work. 8 miles round trip.

Cutty72
07-12-2008, 02:27 PM
i got my paws on the dragons, on the dragon.... mmmm check out mondays pics from killboy the entire 17th page...

Naa, the last 2 are of a GSXR... :lol:

dReWpY
07-13-2008, 01:24 PM
im on 1300 this week, if that gives ppl and idea, good wear and plenty of stick still, im impressed with the wear and life i have been abusing these tires over and over at the gap and they keep on ticking, lotsa heat cycles