PDA

View Full Version : WI, MI, Ontario, NY, PA, OH folks

Captain Morgan
08-17-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm taking a last minute trip this weekend. Just decided on it today because I found out I won't have my daughter for 5 days straight. Here's the link to the tentative google map, but things may change slightly along the way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Terre+Haute,+IN&daddr=Sheboygan,+WI+to:New+London,+WI+to:St.+Ignac e,+MI+to:Flint,+Mi+to:Niagara+Falls,+Ontario,+Cana da+to:Buffalo,+NY+to:Terre+Haute,+IN&hl=en&geocode=Fc82WgIdayvK-inv3JGKR2VtiDGI7-NfZ6g_gA%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B%3B&abauth=8e15e024:vxI8inhbZGjZmybUJTlHDi7Q4O0&mra=ls&vps=2&jsv=265c&sll=42.76723,-83.76511&sspn=8.129319,19.665527&num=10

Are there any places along the way that I should definitely stop and see, visit, eat at, etc.? Oh, and please let me know of any good camping areas along the way!! I'll have a tent and plan to camp as much as possible.

I'm getting on the road Thursday morning. First stop will be New London, WI to visit a friend, next stop will be wherever I get tired. If any of you are on the way, or would like to join me for certain legs of the trip, let me know. I'll PM my phone number to any who want it, as I don't think I'll be taking the computer with me. If you read this after I've gotten on the road, PM Gas Man, Trip or Ebbs to get my cell phone number.

Particle Man
08-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Ever been to Niagara Falls? If not, you'd better. I don't think I'll be able to make it that far west or I'd show you around personally :lol:

Captain Morgan
08-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Ever been to Niagara Falls? If not, you'd better. I don't think I'll be able to make it that far west or I'd show you around personally :lol:

Yeah, that's on the list for sure. The trip can be done in four 8 hour days, and I plan on spending some time at Niagra with the spare time.

tallywacker
08-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah, that's on the list for sure. The trip can be done in four 8 hour days, and I plan on spending some time at Niagra with the spare time.

The canada side is the best.

Particle Man
08-17-2010, 11:12 PM

agreed

Captain Morgan
08-17-2010, 11:12 PM

I've heard that from several people. I already have my passport set out for the trip and will be seeing the Canadian side first! :D

tallywacker
08-17-2010, 11:17 PM
I've heard that from several people. I already have my passport set out for the trip and will be seeing the Canadian side first! :D

I've been there acouple times. Here is the hotel me and the woman stayed at when I came back from Iraq...

http://www.niagaratower.com/

And if you want a strip club while your there The Sundowner is one of the best I've ever been to.

tommymac
08-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Looks like a nice trip, just too far out of the way for me :(

derf
08-18-2010, 07:50 AM
I'll be up at 3 mile bay NY on friday and albany on sat if you swing that far east

caveman
08-18-2010, 07:56 AM
While in St Ignace stop at the Mackinaw Grill on business 75. Great fish there. don't stay at the days inn in St ignace it sucks. the place I stayed back in 07 was awesome think it was the comfort inn just up the street.

Captain Morgan
08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Looks like a nice trip, just too far out of the way for me :(

Well, you do have a little one on the way, so I'll let it slide. :lol:

I'll be up at 3 mile bay NY on friday and albany on sat if you swing that far east

Probably won't make it to Niagra until at least Saturday or Sunday, so won't be able to make it over to albany.

While in St Ignace stop at the Mackinaw Grill on business 75. Great fish there. don't stay at the days inn in St ignace it sucks. the place I stayed back in 07 was awesome think it was the comfort inn just up the street.

I'm hoping to avoid hotels and stay at some campgrounds. All depends on weather when I stop, as well as timing of the stops. Thanks for the advice on food!

Porkchop
08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Well, you do have a little one on the way, so I'll let it slide. :lol:

Probably won't make it to Niagra until at least Saturday or Sunday, so won't be able to make it over to albany.

I'm hoping to avoid hotels and stay at some campgrounds. All depends on weather when I stop, as well as timing of the stops. Thanks for the advice on food!

When you get to ohio camping wise, I suggest three places depending on how north south you will be. South of columbus I would suggest checking out camp grounds near Old Mans Cave. Up north of Cbus is Moheican state park, which is near Mid ohio racetrack. Then if you are super north, aka east of cleveland, I would check out Geneva on the Lake. I believe they have some campgrounds, a neat little town, and some killer back roads....

As far as whats to do, that just depends on which one you pick.

racedoll
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
When you in OH on 71 north between Mansfield and Akron, let me know as I'm in between (Lodi is closest). I'll stop and meet you for lunch or supper if I'm able. I'll PM my number to you.

Porkchop
08-18-2010, 07:54 PM
When you in OH on 71 north between Mansfield and Akron, let me know as I'm in between (Lodi is closest). I'll stop and meet you for lunch or supper if I'm able. I'll PM my number to you.

Are you kidding me??? Do you live near the Lodi outlets??? I didn't know you lived that close to my grandma.

racedoll
08-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Are you kidding me??? Do you live near the Lodi outlets??? I didn't know you lived that close to my grandma.

Yep. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to get the outlets. I went to elementary school in Burbank.

Porkchop
08-18-2010, 11:08 PM
Wow, my family comes from Grafton. Like 15 minutes from Lodi outlets. When I took over the Mansfield store for 8 weeks I was driving 303 to 83 to 71. (Normally 303 to 301) I was just there for 4 days last week. :bash:

Captain Morgan
08-18-2010, 11:12 PM
When you get to ohio camping wise, I suggest three places depending on how north south you will be. South of columbus I would suggest checking out camp grounds near Old Mans Cave. Up north of Cbus is Moheican state park, which is near Mid ohio racetrack. Then if you are super north, aka east of cleveland, I would check out Geneva on the Lake. I believe they have some campgrounds, a neat little town, and some killer back roads....

As far as whats to do, that just depends on which one you pick.

I'll keep those in mind, but I don't expect I'll be camping in OH. I'll likely just leave the Buffalo area Monday morning and ride straight through back home.

If the trip goes as expected, I'll likely be through there around lunch time Monday. Thanks for your number, I'll PM mine to you.

wildchild
08-19-2010, 04:54 PM
oops just seen this, by now you've already blown by me. good luck on the road trip though. looks like a good route. i was wondering about the New London stop until I read your post about a friend.

Gas Man
08-20-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm 50 times too late...

but you should have gone to the HD Bike Museum in Milwalkie. And way to go within 1hr of me.

I can't give you any advice cause you are gone. Oh... I'll text ya.

Captain Morgan
08-21-2010, 10:26 PM
Stopped at hotel near the falls. God, it's expensive. But, by tent got extremely soaked last night and the waterproofing apparently didn't work. The storm was pretty bad and we got a ton of rain. Had to pack up a wet tent, sleeping bag etc. and had no way to let them dry. Plus, it rained on me even more on the ride over to the falls. My phone is on roam up here in Canader, so I haven't been sending pics to FB since crossing the border. I'll post up a full ride report when I get back home Monday. It's been a pretty damn good trip, aside from paying for this hotel. Probably should have said hell with it and slept in wet gear.

Seems like I missed everyone from the forum. :lol: Oh well, next time.

racedoll
08-22-2010, 07:11 AM
You've got OH to come through so there is a chance you can still meet one member!!

CrazyKell
08-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm sorry I didn't get your message until later and then missed meeting up with you.

Been one helluva week for me and it just didn't work out. :(

Glad you had a fun trip.